PDA

View Full Version : Can you change tension of strings once they're on?

Scotty_b_goode
07-18-2011, 06:21 AM
I have RPM strings on my Babolat, and i am thinking i would really like to use a lower tension. Can i ask my local tennis shop to lower the tension on the strings, or will i just need to get a new set alltogether?

I searched and couldn't find a topic on this but I apologize if there is.

Shaochieh
07-18-2011, 06:38 AM
Use it until it loses tension or cut it all and get it restrung.

jk175d
07-18-2011, 06:41 AM
I have RPM strings on my Babolat, and i am thinking i would really like to use a lower tension. Can i ask my local tennis shop to lower the tension on the strings, or will i just need to get a new set alltogether?

I searched and couldn't find a topic on this but I apologize if there is.

the only way I have acheived that it by cutting out just the crosses and restring them. A LOT of people are down on the idea of just restringing crosses but I've done it a bunch and have had no problems at all. (on my own racquets only of course)

When I'm experimenting with strings I might get out and decide the tension is too high. When I cut the crosses out (always with the frame secured in the 6 point clamps of my machine) I can feel that the mains are looser than when I strung them, so I can actually redo the crosses at the same original tension if I want and by having done this, effectively lowered the mains.

DrpShot!
07-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Leave it in your trunk on a hot day, it'll lose some tension.

jjs891
07-18-2011, 08:56 AM
I've heard people say to lay the racquet on the flat ground and step on the string bed. I personally wouldn't do that to my own racquet. I'd rather restring.

dozu
07-18-2011, 08:58 AM
with gut or syngut, I can lay the racket flat on the ground, and gently step on it with 1 foot and put 1/4 to 1/2 of my body weight on it for a couple of seconds, to loosen up the tension.

not sure it works with polys, as they are such delicate creatures... they may just die if you step on them, like they don't die soon enough anyways lol

sepidoel
07-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Then how about increasing the tension without restringing?

jjs891
07-18-2011, 09:13 AM

I don't think that's possible.

dozu
07-18-2011, 09:59 AM

is this a trick question? make up your mind before giving it to the stringer lol

GlenK
07-18-2011, 10:13 AM
lol, he tired all the tricks, now it's to loose..

ATP100
07-18-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't think that's possible.

Yes, its possible, just takes some work.

sepidoel
07-18-2011, 11:17 AM
is this a trick question? make up your mind before giving it to the stringer lol

As every string will loosen up in time IMO tighten up string is more useful to many more players.

In my wild imagination, just for example, maybe there's a procedure to insert something under the string on the outer racquet (U-shape, outside the grommet) and somebody has calculate the effect. Who knows?

jjs891
07-18-2011, 12:05 PM
maybe string savers

jim e
07-18-2011, 03:31 PM

If you want adjustability after a stringing, then you need a different racquet. Get a Macgregor Bergelin Longstring c 1985
Then with the adjustment in the handle you can change the tension to your desire.

Otherwise pick a tension be happy with it, or have it cut out and try again.
There are your options.

Mig1NC
07-18-2011, 04:03 PM
maybe string savers

Yeah. That should do the trick. By a little bit anyway.

Steve Huff
07-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Increasing the stiffness of the stringbed is actually possible, as i'm sure people who strung wood rackets can attest. Some people used to string a sideways "V" into the string (similar to a Dunlop logo, but a little thinner). Stringbreakers did this to increase longevity by decreasing string movement, but it would effectively stiffen up the stringbed too. I doubt it's legal for tournaments, but it doesn't really add anything to your frames playing capability other than stiffen up the stringbed, which you could do with your next stringing anyway.

mixedmedia
07-19-2011, 07:46 AM
Yeah. That should do the trick. By a little bit anyway.

Yeah, about 1-2 pounds I've been told, but it probably depends on how many one uses.

owtdoorguy
07-19-2011, 09:09 AM
So either you can stand on your string bed one foot at a time while holding onto a desk/table/wall to loosen the tension....recommended by a former wimbledon winner pro at my club.
Or you can add a ton of string dampeners to 12, 3, 6, and 9 oclock on your racquet to increase tension, seems to be only about 2 lbs or so.

Best of luck. :)

mixedmedia
07-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Interesting...I've never heard of using dampeners. Does the type matter?

owtdoorguy
07-19-2011, 02:16 PM
As far as dampeners go, the multi-string dampener controls vibration best and thus can change the tension more than others.

A typical Wilson logo W is great for vibration but it only sits on two main strings, where as a longer "snake" type any other brand that spans 4 or 6 main strings will dampen much more vibration as well as impact the tension.

As always, these are my opinions and my experiences...not specific science I guess.

mixedmedia
07-19-2011, 02:21 PM
That makes sense, I suppose. Personally, I don't like the "snake" ones while playing, but maybe I'll keep some around for tension purposes.

MayDay
07-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Stop messing around with the new user you silly tennis monkies. :)

Scotty, you will need to sell your current racket and buy a new one, something like a Wilson Prostaff 6.0 85. (Still available in 4 1/2!)