PDA

View Full Version : Organix 8 300 Club

JackB1
07-18-2011, 09:53 AM
This thread is for owners and discussion regarding the Organix 8, 300 gram version. I will open it up with my review of this great racquet:

OK, I got to play with the Organix 8 tonite (thanks Hominator!) and I have to say, I loved it! I had a league match tonite and I put it in my bag just to warm up with and then planned on switching to my regular stick...the IG Speed 315, but the Org8 felt like home right away, so I didn't put it away! I played very well with it and it seemed to work very well with my swing speed and style of play. It has a bit more pop than my Speed 315 and I felt like I always had a little extra power on reserve when I wanted it. It was effortless to hit deep rally balls, but when I wanted to flatten out a winner or drive the ball more, it worked well for that as well.

My serve picked up some pace and was able to hit my full variety of slices, kicks and flat heaters. I actually served better the first time out with this stick, than I have with my Speed ever! But we shall see it that keeps up. The sweetspot feels huge and the racquet felt good to me. I had it strung with full multi and it has some nice pocketing and a slight cushioned/springy effect which was nice. The extra power came in handy when off balance or stretched out. Also, I was surprised how well drop shots were executed. I knew this was a "baseline bashing" stick, but it also seems to have a decent amount of "touch" for finesse shots.

Anyway, I am going to keep using it to see if it continues to perform so well and if so, I might make the switch. It was only one outing, so I don't want to overreact, but it was very encouraging Can't wait to try one of these with my usual natural gut/copoly hybrid. The full multi (Xcel) is very good, but the strings have to be constantly adjusted between points and I would imagine the multi will become too powerful after a few more sessions, like most multi's do.

JackB1
07-18-2011, 10:14 AM
I was also very surprised by it's comfort and touch. It's basically a "jack-of-all-trades" even though it was designed for baseline bashing. Just like the Aeropro Drive is a similar tweener that most 3.5 guys can use for just about any type of game they want to use it for.

I finally feel like I don't have a racquet that is "over my head" when I am not at my best. My IG Speed 315's may be "endangered" :)

tom4ny
07-18-2011, 10:23 AM
the x8 does have a large sweet zone and good control for a 16x18. i have mine strung with isospeed control 16 and it works very well with this stick.

i also have a pure drive gt (french open red) and the x8 hits the same ball but with more comfort and control. the x8 may even hit heavier but its a close call. i also like polystar energy 16 in both frames and again, the x8 outperforms.

it would have been great if volkl would have made the x8 315 and extended length frame and gone up directly against the roddick pure drive gt. my kneissl is 27.2 and it works well for me. (i guess i have a thing for red colored frames).

anyway, i am a proud member of the x8 300 club as it is a great modern frame for the modern game.

jfish
07-18-2011, 10:44 AM
I have been playing with ABLX90 , Pb10Mid & London . I am enjoying the Pb10Mid more and more , but lately I've been eager to try the Organix 8. Not in the club, but the urge is getting harder to resist.

edwincen
07-18-2011, 11:09 AM
is it made in china thing?

jibinhe
07-18-2011, 12:22 PM
I am in, my setting is MSV Hex focus 1.18/Syn 23kg/21kg. 3g in handle. 329g

JackB1
07-18-2011, 01:27 PM
I just noticed that this stick has almost the same EXACT specs as the Babalot Aeropo Drive GT.

cayzi
07-18-2011, 01:29 PM
JackB1: did you try X295 version?

If so, how did you like it compare to IG315 and X8?

JackB1
07-18-2011, 01:31 PM
JackB1: did you try X295 version?

If so, how did you like it compare to IG315 and X8?

Yes. I didn't like the 295 at all. Didn't work for me. Felt too low powered and light and flimsy. The X8 felt 100% better. More power, bigger sweetspot and got weight through the swingzone.

cayzi
07-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Yes. I didn't like the 295 at all. Didn't work for me. Felt too low powered and light and flimsy. The X8 felt 100% better. More power, bigger sweetspot and got weight through the swingzone.

Please try to compare X295 with IG 300 when you get it. If not directly on court just how you felt.

Thanks!

TennisMaverick
07-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Please try to compare X295 with IG 300 when you get it. If not directly on court just how you felt.

Thanks!

No comparison. The PB 295 is very polarized. The X300 is much better balanced as the PB 315 is. The X8 300 is a combo of the both.

cayzi
07-18-2011, 01:40 PM
No comparison. The PB 295 is very polarized. The X300 is much better balanced as the PB 315 is. The X8 300 is a combo of the both.

You jest mention Volkl rackets. I am asking about Head IG 300 vs. X8. :-?

El Diablo
07-18-2011, 03:20 PM
I lasted about a week with the Orgo 8, arm pain and inability to keep the ball in the court, not impressed with spin generation. Much better results with another powerful 100, the 03 White, far more comfortable and much more spin.

TennisMaverick
07-18-2011, 03:31 PM
I lasted about a week with the Orgo 8, arm pain and inability to keep the ball in the court, not impressed with spin generation. Much better results with another powerful 100, the 03 White, far more comfortable and much more spin.

There is decent heft in the throat area to help driving through the back of the ball, so if you want spin, you have to really accelerate the racquet head. If you just want spin, try the X6, X8 315, or X10 295. Make sure to string the crosses less than the mains.

jibinhe
07-20-2011, 05:55 AM
Played 2 mins with the mod yesterday. god, that thing is damm heavy. removed the 2g leads in hoop, much better.

JackB1
07-20-2011, 06:20 AM

I tried the O3 White for a while and had a harder time with the power in that frame. But they are similar for sure, so I would thing if you could find a string setup to make the White work, you could do the same with the X8.

I haven't found any arm pain with the X8, but I use a nat gut/copoly hybrid which feels very soft. What string setups did u try the X8 with? The O3 White is a good racquet for sure, but I prefer the X8. The White is almost even balanced and feels more "flimsy" in the hoop to me, whereas the X8 feels very solid and stable to me. Also the X8's paintjob totally blows away the plain White's :)

JackB1
07-20-2011, 06:22 AM
Played 2 mins with the mod yesterday. god, that thing is damm heavy. removed the 2g leads in hoop, much better.

It does have a heavy swingweight, which is why I don't understand why everyone has to add lead to this stick? I measured mine at the store yesterday and it read 337 on the machine. That was with 4g's of build up tape on the handle.

wrxinsc
07-20-2011, 06:44 AM
A little background. I'm a fit 46 yo, versatile all court I'm told, 4.0, moving toward a SW forehand and I have a newly developed 2hbh. I hit heavy topspin from both sides but can flatten and hit it hard. I've a flat or slice serve. I play equal amounts of doubles and singles and play at least 3-4 week.

I ordered two X8's when TW had that special. Previously played with the PBV1MP and before that - while just getting back in to tennis again 3 years ago - with ancient Prince racquets.

The new X8's are strung with a full bed of cyclone at 50/48.

While my frame of reference <pun intended... is limited I can safely say that the new 8 is my favorite racquet.

I initially switched to the Volkl [and a 2hbh] for their famous comfort as I was struggling with TE badly, due to playing alot after a 20 year or so hiatus.

While the X8 is not quite as comfortable as my V1 I have had no TE issues and am playing alot. Plus I'm using a full bed of poly which i had never done before so comfort may be a bit skewed against this setup.

The X8 offers violent topspin. It's power is fine for me, allowing me the racquet speed when i need it and giving me confidence/power to hit deep shots consistently without swing speed every shot like i had in my early 20's.

The X8 is fine at the net - reasonably stable. It plows through OK against hard hitters. I'm playing 8.0 mixed against strong 4.5 male oppenents that hit hard / heavy shots and haven't had any issues with this racquet being out of sorts. That was a certain problem with the light V1. Touch is really nice with the X8. Much like the V1 for me.

Serve is terrific. Nice placement. Heavy spin. Flat out pace when you want it.

In my opinion it is a must demo for a middle aged all court player such as myself.

jibinhe
07-20-2011, 07:26 AM
It does have a heavy swingweight, which is why I don't understand why everyone has to add lead to this stick? I measured mine at the store yesterday and it read 337 on the machine. That was with 4g's of build up tape on the handle.

Then we have similar setup now :D, I have 3g lead in handle.

dParis
07-20-2011, 12:02 PM
An unbiased comment from my tennis instructor, who's a Wilson user and has forgotten more about tennis than most of us will ever learn, after hitting some with my x295 then the X8 300 for five minutes, looked at the X8 unimpressively and said, "the one you have (x295) is way more solid than this thing." I had high expectations for the X8 (maybe too high) and I was still forming an opinion on it at the time, but deep down, I knew I agreed with him.

JackB1
07-20-2011, 12:45 PM
An unbiased comment from my tennis instructor, who's a Wilson user and has forgotten more about tennis than most of us will ever learn, after hitting some with my x295 then the X8 300 for five minutes, looked at the X8 unimpressively and said, "the one you have (x295) is way more solid than this thing." I had high expectations for the X8 (maybe too high) and I was still forming an opinion on it at the time, but deep down, I knew I agreed with him.

That's such a general statement and really doesn't mean much to me. I can't imagine someone saying the X8 doesn't feel "solid". Look...the 295 works for you, so enjoy it. They are 2 different racquets meant for 2 different types of players. There are positive and negative comments about every racquet out there. The TW review team had many negative comments about the 295, so your beef should really be with them. Unfortunately they aren't reviewing the X8, so we don't know how they feel about that one.

dParis
07-20-2011, 09:03 PM
That's such a general statement and really doesn't mean much to me. I can't imagine someone saying the X8 doesn't feel "solid". Look...the 295 works for you, so enjoy it. They are 2 different racquets meant for 2 different types of players. There are positive and negative comments about every racquet out there. The TW review team had many negative comments about the 295, so your beef should really be with them.
I don't have a "beef" with anyone. An X295 v. X8 comparison was brought up and I offered a different perspective than yours. Has that become a breach of decorum in the Talk Tennis community recently? I don't have to imagine someone saying the X8 is not solid - because I heard it. He made such a general statement because it was a general observation. His bag isn't to pick apart people's gear. He's there to help people become better tennis players. It's from a source who's opinion I respect and he was relating it directly with the X295 so I knew exactly what he was talking about. I'm not the first or only person to post a critical remark about the racquet, you know? I don't think the X8 is a bad racquet at all, but I don't think a different perspective, which may reign in peoples expectations, is a bad thing and shouldn't be something that gets you upset.

JackB1
07-21-2011, 05:45 AM
I don't have a "beef" with anyone. An X295 v. X8 comparison was brought up and I offered a different perspective than yours. Has that become a breach of decorum in the Talk Tennis community recently? I don't have to imagine someone saying the X8 is not solid - because I heard it. He made such a general statement because it was a general observation. His bag isn't to pick apart people's gear. He's there to help people become better tennis players. It's from a source who's opinion I respect and he was relating it directly with the X295 so I knew exactly what he was talking about. I'm not the first or only person to post a critical remark about the racquet, you know? I don't think the X8 is a bad racquet at all, but I don't think a different perspective, which may reign in peoples expectations, is a bad thing and shouldn't be something that gets you upset.

It didn't get me upset. It just seems to me like you are always trying to justify your X295 and prove all the negative comments untrue. If it works for you, that's all that really matters. I love the IG Speed 315 and the TW Reviewers didn't seem to like that one either. I tried the 295 twice and both times came away with the same impression. I strung them myself with my favored strings/tension to be sure. Would it matter to you if I said my local Pro also tried the 295 and said it "wasn't solid" after hitting with it for 5 minutes? Of course not. Bottom line is people have to try these racquets for themselves and see what works for them.

I was just saying that your post about your "Wilson using instructor" trying each racquet for 5 minutes and then proclaiming yours is somehow better was kind of meaningless. if that made you feel better, than that's cool. Personally, I think I will take the TW Reviewers comments as a little more meaningful since they played with the 295 for a month and tried different strings and tensions, etc. Plus, they do that stuff for a living. Who know what strings that thing even had on it? Either way, I found your post rather humorous.

Agent Orynge
07-21-2011, 05:58 AM
An argument in a Volkl thread, and I wasn't invited? Gentlemen, you disappoint me.

TennisMaverick
07-21-2011, 10:00 AM
It didn't get me upset. It just seems to me like you are always trying to justify your X295 and prove all the negative comments untrue. If it works for you, that's all that really matters. I love the IG Speed 315 and the TW Reviewers didn't seem to like that one either. I tried the 295 twice and both times came away with the same impression. I strung them myself with my favored strings/tension to be sure. Would it matter to you if I said my local Pro also tried the 295 and said it "wasn't solid" after hitting with it for 5 minutes? Of course not. Bottom line is people have to try these racquets for themselves and see what works for them.

I was just saying that your post about your "Wilson using instructor" trying each racquet for 5 minutes and then proclaiming yours is somehow better was kind of meaningless. if that made you feel better, than that's cool. Personally, I think I will take the TW Reviewers comments as a little more meaningful since they played with the 295 for a month and tried different strings and tensions, etc. Plus, they do that stuff for a living. Who know what strings that thing even had on it? Either way, I found your post rather humorous.

Sorry Jack....it only takes 5 minutes, if that much. You've heard me say this many times.

IMPO: There are tons of 100in2 sticks, so there is a lot to make a comparison. There is only one X10 design. That makes it tough to compare the two.

JackB1
07-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Sorry Jack....it only takes 5 minutes, if that much. You've heard me say this many times.

IMPO: There are tons of 100in2 sticks, so there is a lot to make a comparison. There is only one X10 design. That makes it tough to compare the two.

It only take YOU 5 minutes. I wish I could make that statement :) I may know in 5 minutes if I like the racquet enough to continue testing it, but my demo process is much more involved and time consuming. Yes, I can tell in 5 minutes if I like a racquet and can use if fairly well, but that's just the 1st step. I have to see if it works better for me, (than my current racquet) in competitive play and over the course of several matches. I just can't find out everything I need to know in 5 minutes. There's serves, slices, touch shots, baseline rallies, drives, loopy shots, lobs, volleys, etc. For me, it's such a fun and enjoyable process to put a racquet through it's paces, why rush through it?

The TW team plays with a racquet for a month before writing their reviews. Are you saying they could do the same in 5 minutes?

In short, everyone has their own method and timeframe for testing and trying racquets. There is no universal rule on this one. Totally personal.

BTW, picked up my 3rd X8 today and played more last night and continue to really like it. Now when is Volkl going to come out with Organix bags?

PED
07-21-2011, 10:28 AM
An argument in a Volkl thread, and I wasn't invited? Gentlemen, you disappoint me.

Nicely played, this really made me laugh :)

Power Player
07-21-2011, 10:31 AM
TM is referring to the pro who has played so much that he knows a good stick from a bad one.

For me, I can pick up a bass guitar and know if I want it in less than 1 minute. I have never been wrong.

Fuji
07-21-2011, 10:40 AM
TM is referring to the pro who has played so much that he knows a good stick from a bad one.

For me, I can pick up a bass guitar and know if I want it in less than 1 minute. I have never been wrong.

Same here. I used to work at a big name guitar store as a sales rep, and I dealt with more guitars and basses then most people do in their entire lives!

The more you deal with certain objects, the more you know what you like. Tennis is quite specific because there are 4,5,6,7,8+ things you look for once you like, but it does become easier the more you deal with them.

-Fuji

JackB1
07-21-2011, 10:44 AM

^^^ apples to oranges

a guitar is all about how it feels in your hands. a racquets needs to be played with. I play guitar and bass, so I know what u mean.

I don't think TM was only referring to a Pro. He has said many times that anyone should know in 5 minutes.

I know in 5 minutes if I hate it or I want to continue exploring the racquet. I don't know in 5 minutes if this is the racquet I will use for the next couple of years.

Power Player
07-21-2011, 11:12 AM
I am not sure if it is Apples to Oranges. My point is that when you have been doing something half your life or more at a fairly high level you are going to be able to make extremely fast and accurate decisions on gear. And plus I actually do not make my decision on a guitars feel in my hands at all. That is actually not as much of a factor to me as I can adapt to that.

I have ZERO GAS when it comes to guitars. None. I don't lust over anything anymore because I know what tones I need and I'm done. To me that is what it is like for Dparis's pro when he hits with a racquet.

Fuji gets what I am saying.

If TM is saying any rec player should know in 5 minutes, I am not sure. It just takes experience to really learn what you like and there is no substitute for that.

JackB1
07-21-2011, 12:10 PM
I am not sure if it is Apples to Oranges. My point is that when you have been doing something half your life or more at a fairly high level you are going to be able to make extremely fast and accurate decisions on gear. And plus I actually do not make my decision on a guitars feel in my hands at all. That is actually not as much of a factor to me as I can adapt to that.

I have ZERO GAS when it comes to guitars. None. I don't lust over anything anymore because I know what tones I need and I'm done. To me that is what it is like for Dparis's pro when he hits with a racquet.

Fuji gets what I am saying.

If TM is saying any rec player should know in 5 minutes, I am not sure. It just takes experience to really learn what you like and there is no substitute for that.

I agree with all of that and it makes sense.

My point is I don't HAVE to decide in 5 min's. I like taking my time and playtesting until I am 99% sure I want to put them in my bag. There is no rush for me. But I am this way with everything, so it's just in my DNA. I just can't make quick decisions on purchases. I "hem and haw" on most everything. Heck, it took me to age 40 to pick out a wife! Lots of "playtesting" :)

Power Player
07-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Yeah I actually enjoy the process since Tennis is not a source of income for me and rather a source of fun.

jjs891
07-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Jack,

My wife always tells me that she's glad I'm not playtesting wives as I do with racquets.

JackB1
07-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Jack,

My wife always tells me that she's glad I'm not playtesting wives as I do with racquets.

I've been with mine for 10 years now, so to all those naysayers... see I CAN hold onto something!! :)

dParis
07-21-2011, 12:37 PM
It didn't get me upset. It just seems to me like you are always trying to justify your X295 and prove all the negative comments untrue. If it works for you, that's all that really matters. So you're saying "just make a list of what racquets work for you and be done with it"? That would make for kind of a boring forum. I thought we are here to discuss racquets, why some work for you and why others don't, give advice and dispense a little dime store psychology.:) I have no need to "justify" my opinion of the X295. I know what I can and can't do well with it, and I'm not trying to convince you to like it. It's actually to my benefit that you didn't like it, right?

I was just saying that your post about your "Wilson using instructor" trying each racquet for 5 minutes and then proclaiming yours is somehow better was kind of meaningless. if that made you feel better, than that's cool.Again, why so defensive? You'll either like the X8 and enjoy it for months to come, or - you'll switch racquets in a couple of weeks and start a new club. Either way is fine by me. I enjoy reading your posts and the discussions they encourage regarding so many different racquets; many that I have used or otherwise interested in hearing about. No need to project your feelings (racquet insecurities?) on me, though.:wink:

Regarding my pro's opinion - I/he didn't proclaim any racquet "better"(though if pressed to do so, I would choose the X295 for its superior variety and stability). At the time my pro tried both racquets, I was not at all committed to the X295 and was fully expecting (and wanting, honestly) to like the X8. His observation, limited to the stability of the two racquets, was germane to the discussion in this thread. If you thought it was meaningless - that's fine, but I suppose you could have expressed it more cordially.

rovision
07-21-2011, 01:08 PM
BTW, picked up my 3rd X8 today and played more last night and continue to really like it. Now when is Volkl going to come out with Organix bags?

Jack, somebody tells me that since you like OX8 so much, you really need a fourth one! ;) Especially in great shape and at a special discount for you... check the FS.

JackB1
07-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Jack, somebody tells me that since you like OX8 so much, you really need a fourth one! ;) Especially in great shape and at a special discount for you... check the FS.

No need for a 4th one!!! Go Away!!! ;)

Seriously, 3 is plenty for me...2 for matches, set up identical and 1 for practice/wet weather. The 4th would be for swatting mosquitoes.

jjs891
07-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Did you buy all 3 from the forum members or buy them new?

JackB1
07-21-2011, 01:43 PM
So you're saying "just make a list of what racquets work for you and be done with it"? That would make for kind of a boring forum. I thought we are here to discuss racquets, why some work for you and why others don't, give advice and dispense a little dime store psychology.:) I have no need to "justify" my opinion of the X295. I know what I can and can't do well with it, and I'm not trying to convince you to like it. It's actually to my benefit that you didn't like it, right?

Again, why so defensive? You'll either like the X8 and enjoy it for months to come, or - you'll switch racquets in a couple of weeks and start a new club. Either way is fine by me. I enjoy reading your posts and the discussions they encourage regarding so many different racquets; many that I have used or otherwise interested in hearing about. No need to project your feelings (racquet insecurities?) on me, though.:wink:

Regarding my pro's opinion - I/he didn't proclaim any racquet "better"(though if pressed to do so, I would choose the X295 for its superior variety and stability). At the time my pro tried both racquets, I was not at all committed to the X295 and was fully expecting (and wanting, honestly) to like the X8. His observation, limited to the stability of the two racquets, was germane to the discussion in this thread. If you thought it was meaningless - that's fine, but I suppose you could have expressed it more cordially.

Excuse me if I'm a little "sensitive" about a racquet I just committed to :)
You know I am all for discussing racquets and hearing about what people like and don't like. I just thought your comment was made to try and get a rise out of me and to somehow exclaim yours is better.

As far as the 295 having "superior variety and stability", I can possibly give you the "variety" nod, although there is nothing I can't do with the X8....baselining, droppers, touch shots, slices, etc, so I am not sure how it is better for "variety", by OK I'll give you that one. But as far as "stability" goes...no way. The X8 is solid as a rock and it's higher swingweight (330 to 315) PLUS it's higher static weight (11.4oz to 11 oz) PLUS it's larger headsize (100 to 98) all combine for more plowthrough and more mass behind the ball and also less instability or put another way "more solid feeling". There were so many comments from the TW reviewers regarding the 295's instability and getting "pushed around" by heavier balls. To me, I found the X8 way more solid feeling, so I have to disagree with your instructor's assessment completely.

rovision
07-21-2011, 02:42 PM
No need for a 4th one!!! Go Away!!! ;)

Seriously, 3 is plenty for me...2 for matches, set up identical and 1 for practice/wet weather. The 4th would be for swatting mosquitoes.

No, really, you need a fourth one for balance! Two on each side of your 6-stick bag. :)

JackB1
07-21-2011, 02:52 PM
No, really, you need a fourth one for balance! Two on each side of your 6-stick bag. :)

good point! :)

cayzi
07-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Jack any news about your IG 300. I really would like to hear what you have to say about it.

JackB1
07-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Jack any news about your IG 300. I really would like to hear what you have to say about it.

I have a new one here that I have to string up. Just been enjoying the x8 some much that I am afraid to try it :). Sometime soon though!

TennisMaverick
07-21-2011, 03:54 PM
I have a new one here that I have to string up. Just been enjoying the x8 some much that I am afraid to try it :). Sometime soon though!

Where do you get all of your icon photos???

JackB1
07-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Where do you get all of your icon photos???

From the TW photos of the racquet. I just copy and paste a piece of the pi I like and shrink it down to 80x80

captainobvious
07-22-2011, 10:28 AM

+1

Of all the racquets Ive demod, its very high on the list. Surprising power, excellent spin and although meaningless- good looking too.

Im having a really hard time figuring out which racquet to go with. Positives and negatives with each thus far.
I need the grip shape and feel of the x10, the power level of the Speed MP 300, the serve/spin of the EXO3 Tour Team and the drop dead good looks of the IG Instinct MP :twisted:
I could live with an x10 if i could squeeze a little more power out of it. (I have a more medium/moderate swing that a very full/fast). I'd like to try one of these x8's as they should provide more power, and the grip shape/feel I want...problem is, that swing weight might be a bit high :-|
Although I did enjoy the BLX Blade 98... Jack have you played that one? Any comparison you could make ?

Thanks. I always enjoy reading your reviews.

PS- The demo of the MP 300 that I hit came strung as follows (and I thought it was very good)

head sonic pro 16g at mid tension on mains
and head fxp 16g on the crosses at mid tension

cayzi
07-22-2011, 10:29 AM
JackB1: Can you please compare X8 vs IG 315 (16x19).

What I notice on my IG 300 is that for full power you need really swing fast if you want play from base line. True there is a lot of control, serve is just great compare to my (old) TF 295.

Today I tried Babolat AeroPro Team GT and what I notice is that racket is more forgiving regarding perfect swing and speed and more powered than IG 300. I did not notice stiffness compare to my IG 300 so I would say that they are close. So when playing with Babolat my arm was happy for a while because I need to use less power and speed to push ball around the court.

Also I notice that Babolat have a lot less control and for me worse serving compare to IG 300. Also if you did not use perfect spin technique the racket performed not so good and nothing special. I guess this is spin machine designed racket.

So JackB1 if my findings are correct please let me know how X8 compare to your Speed.

Also today I notice that IG 300 is enough for me regarding weight. I had 4 hours tennis today and probably I would not handle more weight. I do not know what would happen if I would have more SW.

I know that this is wrong topic but just for your information I am attending to try something like this in near future. Still looking for "my racket":

Head YOUTEK IG Instinct
Babolat Pure Drive GT
Prince EXO3 Tour Team 100
Prince EXO3 White
Volkl Organix 8
Dunlop Biomimetic 500 Tour

Thanks JackB1.

cayzi
07-22-2011, 10:31 AM
+1

Of all the racquets Ive demod, its very high on the list. Surprising power, excellent spin and although meaningless- good looking too.

Im having a really hard time figuring out which racquet to go with. Positives and negatives with each thus far.
I need the grip shape and feel of the x10, the power level of the Speed MP 300, the serve/spin of the EXO3 Tour Team and the drop dead good looks of the IG Instinct MP :twisted:
I could live with an x10 if i could squeeze a little more power out of it. (I have a more medium/moderate swing that a very full/fast). I'd like to try one of these x8's as they should provide more power, and the grip shape/feel I want...problem is, that swing weight might be a bit high :-|
Although I did enjoy the BLX Blade 98... Jack have you played that one? Any comparison you could make ?

captainobvious I have a feeling thaat we are looking for something similar here :)

captainobvious
07-22-2011, 10:51 AM
captainobvious I have a feeling thaat we are looking for something similar here :)

You should check out the Babolat Pure Storm Team GT and the Head IG Instinct MP. Both have good spin and closer to medium power. The PSTGT has a thinner beam and both look quite good in my opinion.

What string setup do you have on the Speed MP 300 cayzi ?
My demo came strung with the specs I posted above for Jack. It had more power than I thought it would and was very comfortable.

JackB1
07-22-2011, 10:56 AM
+1

You should try the X8. It has everything u mentioned.
-grip shape of X10
-power level of Speed 300 (a little more I think)
-great serving racquet (my best serves yet)
-great spin (very open pattern allows for super spin)

The swingweight sounds high (330) but it's very manageable due to the low static weight 11 oz. You get used to it very quickly. Trust me...it's what you are looking for.

JackB1
07-22-2011, 11:01 AM
JackB1: Can you please compare X8 vs IG 315 (16x19).

What I notice on my IG 300 is that for full power you need really swing fast if you want play from base line. True there is a lot of control, serve is just great compare to my (old) TF 295.

So JackB1 if my findings are correct please let me know how X8 compare to your Speed.

Also today I notice that IG 300 is enough for me regarding weight. I had 4 hours tennis today and probably I would not handle more weight. I do not know what would happen if I would have more SW.

The X8 is quite a lot more powerful than the Speed 315 and probably about the same as the 300...maybe a little more. I tried the 300 briefly, but the X8 seemed to have more power. The X8 swings a little heavier than the 315 also, but not by much and I think u could easily get used to it. I also find the X8 easier to use than the Speed...a little larger sweetspot and also it feels softer on impact to me.

srvnvly
07-22-2011, 12:21 PM
How are volley? I do ok with the BAPDGT, but I'm curious about the X8 300 (and YES, I plan to demo, just haven't yet and thought I'd get your opinion)

gamerx52986
07-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Just curious if anybody has so played with the PB8 295 and Becker. DC Pro and could compare to the X8

dParis
07-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Just curious if anybody has so played with the PB8 295 and Becker. DC Pro and could compare to the X8
I liked both the PB8 295 and the BBDC Pro. I thought the BBDC Pro was actually an improvement and advancement of the PB8 even more so than it was one for the BB Pro. Both have lively, responsive stringbeds and are great off the ground and very easy to swing. The DC Pro is more powerful, improves comfort, spin production and serving. The DC Pro is a very fun racquet to play with but I don't care for the balance - feels (and even looks) head-heavy even though it is head light and I don't have the game to control all that power in the long run.

Where the DC Pro feels like a giant butterfly net, the X8 feels like an actual tennis racquet. Power is slightly muted relative to the Becker and that probably affords greater control than the DC Pro, but I felt the lack of feedback and tactile connection to the X8 hurt my control, so for me the two racquets were a wash in that department. I felt the DC Pro had a slightly larger sweetspot and I was able to defend better with it. I liked the control in the middle of the court better with the X8 and good slices were easier to execute with the X8 as well.

If you have a power serve/baseline topspin game exclusively, then I'd say the DC Pro has more potential upside. The X8 is more refined and has a different ball feel, but is otherwise similar to the DC Pro - minus the steroids.:)

parasailing
07-22-2011, 10:14 PM
There is decent heft in the throat area to help driving through the back of the ball, so if you want spin, you have to really accelerate the racquet head. If you just want spin, try the X6, X8 315, or X10 295. Make sure to string the crosses less than the mains.

If there is heft in the throat, would this be more like the Babolat Aero Tour GT?

parasailing
07-22-2011, 10:17 PM
The X8 is quite a lot more powerful than the Speed 315 and probably about the same as the 300...maybe a little more. I tried the 300 briefly, but the X8 seemed to have more power. The X8 swings a little heavier than the 315 also, but not by much and I think u could easily get used to it. I also find the X8 easier to use than the Speed...a little larger sweetspot and also it feels softer on impact to me.

I found the Speed IG 16x19 to be a bit too springy and hollow feeling hence it had to go on TT forsale forum. I was wondering what you think of the X8 compared to the PSTGT?

TennisMaverick
07-23-2011, 02:15 AM
If there is heft in the throat, would this be more like the Babolat Aero Tour GT?

If you're talking about the Nadal stick, then the better comparison would be the X10 295.

cayzi
07-23-2011, 03:21 AM
Here is a short review if you are interested.

http://www.shrani.si/f/3T/71/unnsoQS/volkl.png

And copy-paste of text that you can use Google translate:

Ox 8:
In Sachen Komfort und Power
überzeugt der Organix 8 auf ganzer
Linie. Mit der relativ großen Schlagfläche
lässt sich leicht Druck erzeugen, was
gerade technisch schwächeren Spielern hilft.
Abstriche muss man bei der Kontrolle und vor
allem beim Touch machen, wo der Schläger
„etwas tot“ wirkt. Für Könner ist der Schläger
daher nicht geeignet. Mannschaftsspielern
auf mittlerem Niveau, die mit Druck agieren,
wird der Organix 8 hingegen gut gefallen.

Ox 295:
Mit dem Organix 10 ist Völkl ein sehr
komfortabler Schläger gelungen, bei dem
man auf Kontrolle und Gefühl nicht verzichten
muss – eine Mischung, die den Organix 10
zu einem der Testsieger macht. Der Schläger ist
besonders für sportliche Spieler geeignet, die es
komfortabler mögen. Spielstarke Senioren oder
Spieler, die wegen Armproblemen Wert auf eine
gute Dämpfung legen, werden mit dem Racket
zufrieden sein. Einzige Schwäche: Bei unsauberen
Treffpunkten fehlt ein wenig der Druck.

TennisMaverick
07-23-2011, 03:37 AM

Ox 8:

Ox 295:

Thanks....FFR: it's just "X".

wrxinsc
07-23-2011, 03:39 AM
You should try the X8. It has everything u mentioned.
-grip shape of X10
-power level of Speed 300 (a little more I think)
-great serving racquet (my best serves yet)
-great spin (very open pattern allows for super spin)

The swingweight sounds high (330) but it's very manageable due to the low static weight 11 oz. You get used to it very quickly. Trust me...it's what you are looking for.

+1 matches my experience with this racquet

prjacobs
07-23-2011, 05:26 AM

Ox 8:

Ox 295:

Here's the babblefish translation :)
OX 8
In things comfort and power convinces the Organix 8 on whole Line. With the relatively large impact surface easily pressure can be produced, which straight technically weaker players helps. Reductions must one with control and forwards make for everything with the Touch, where the racquet „somewhat dead “works. For Könner the racquet is suitable from there. Crew players on middle level, which act with pressure, the Organix 8 will please however well.

With the Organix 10 is Völkl much comfortable racquet successfully, with that one on control and feeling not to do without must - a mixture, those the Organix 10 to one the test winner makes. The racquet is particularly suitable for sporty players, who like it more comfortably. Play-strong seniors or player, who attach importance because of arm problems on a good absorption, become with the Racket contently its. Only weakness: With careless meeting places the pressure is missing little.

JackB1
07-23-2011, 07:43 AM
I found the Speed IG 16x19 to be a bit too springy and hollow feeling hence it had to go on TT forsale forum. I was wondering what you think of the X8 compared to the PSTGT?

I only played with the original PST, but the X8 is more powerful than the PST, which is on the "control" side.

I didnt find the IG Speed 315 too "springy" at all. It has decent pop for a "players" racquet, but definitely not too springy at all for me and I use nat gut mains. You definitely needed a healthy swing to hit a hard shot. However, I can see the "hollow feeling" comment. I noticed it more after trying the X8, which felt less "hollow" than the Speed.

JackB1
07-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Maverick, I tried a newly strung X8 yesterday and the power was a little too much. It had nat gut mains and Proline 2 crosses at 55/50. What do u suggest I try next? I have one more to string up today. If I try a poly/gut hybrid instead what tension you suggest? It's that or I up the tension on my gut/poly hybrid to around 58/53. I am assuming the X8 needs the same -4 lbs in the crosses formula as per usual? On top of that I need the gut to poly adjustment which is about 2-4 by itself, correct?

TennisMaverick
07-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Maverick, I tried a newly strung X8 yesterday and the power was a little too much. It had nat gut mains and Proline 2 crosses at 55/50. What do u suggest I try next? I have one more to string up today. If I try a poly/gut hybrid instead what tension you suggest? It's that or I up the tension on my gut/poly hybrid to around 58/53. I am assuming the X8 needs the same -4 lbs in the crosses formula as per usual? On top of that I need the gut to poly adjustment which is about 2-4 by itself, correct?

Putting gut in the mains gives far more power than gut in the crosses, and produces far less spin as well.

What are you using as a string machine, and are you using fixed or floating clamps?

JackB1
07-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Putting gut in the mains gives far more power than gut in the crosses, and produces far less spin as well.

What are you using as a string machine, and are you using fixed or floating clamps?

I know, but I like a little reserve power, but his was a little too much. I have a fixed clamp dropweight stringer and it's very consistent. I measure the tension right off the stringer.

I am going to try some poly mains with the gut in the crosses. I just strung one up at 51/54.

TennisMaverick
07-23-2011, 01:20 PM
I know, but I like a little reserve power, but his was a little too much. I have a fixed clamp dropweight stringer and it's very consistent. I measure the tension right off the stringer.

I am going to try some poly mains with the gut in the crosses. I just strung one up at 51/54.

That tension is reasonable. Good luck with it.

JackB1
07-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Anyone else found a good string/tension combo that wasn't too powerful in the X8?

Power Player
07-23-2011, 06:00 PM
I'd use synth gut because gut or a multi may not really be needed. You have an open pattern stick with power...it will eat gut up fast if you have any racquet head speed.

I'd try Gosen OGSM in the crosses with poly mains at 56/58 personally.

Got a feeling my 7G hits as big as this stick if not bigger, and so far that is my preferred setup. The tension in your sig is too low for me..factor in the tension drop and the racquet will be in the low 40s rather fast.

TennisMaverick
07-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Anyone else found a good string/tension combo that wasn't too powerful in the X8?

My stick which is the one that Hominator modified, was strung at a comparable 62M/59C. It certainly isn't too powerful.

JackB1
07-23-2011, 06:10 PM
My stick which is the one that Hominator modified, was strung at a comparable 62M/59C. It certainly isn't too powerful.

That's almost 10 lbs more than my setup, so I'm sure that wasnt too powerful. I'll see how the poly/gut 51/54 plays and go from there. When I played the London, I had to go up to 58 with gut mains to tame the power. I was wary of going above 55 in the X8 because of the many warnings that the Organix frames string up tighter than others.

Power Player
07-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Yeah I can't imagine having natty gut under 60#s..it is super powerful for me. Gut is for people who like to string tighter and have that feel and comfort.

JackB1
07-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Yeah I can't imagine having natty gut under 60#s..it is super powerful for me. Gut is for people who like to string tighter and have that feel and comfort.

Normally yes, but I heard the Organix frames string up super tight, so I was wary of stringing the gut too tight. Weird thing is I had one with full multi in the low 50's and that was less powerul than the gut/poly hybrid at 50/51. I guess gut is more powerful than multi? I always thought they were close.

Hominator
07-24-2011, 08:45 AM

The X8 at that tension played really well. Not boardy at all.

JackB1
07-24-2011, 09:10 AM
The X8 at that tension played really well. Not boardy at all.

What string was that?

Power Player
07-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Normally yes, but I heard the Organix frames string up super tight, so I was wary of stringing the gut too tight. Weird thing is I had one with full multi in the low 50's and that was less powerul than the gut/poly hybrid at 50/51. I guess gut is more powerful than multi? I always thought they were close.

That is weird, but it depends on the multi. When I used gut as a junior it was at bare minimum 60#s..I usually went 65#s and synth gut at 60.

The gut poly setup to me is way too expensive unless you have a super stiff racquet with massive power like the Pure Drive Roddick. I'd personally go poly mains and synth gut crosses and call it a day.

It's an open pattern so you are going to be running through strings regardless.

Hominator
07-24-2011, 12:36 PM
What string was that?

Volkl Gripper, I believe.

TennisMaverick
07-24-2011, 01:58 PM

My stick is strung with Gripper.

Gut is more powerful than multis, although, NRG2 is close.

Multis string-up dead if you don't pre-stretch and lose the creep in the string which occurs as it settles. Two cures: better craftsmanship, or string 2-3 lbs tighter than your desired tension.

JackB1
07-24-2011, 02:14 PM
I checked the weights on my 3 X8's and they all come to around 329 grams total, including overgrips.

jibinhe
07-24-2011, 03:12 PM
I checked the weights on my 3 X8's and they all come to around 329 grams total, including overgrips.

and you have no leads on them? My pair was 2g different. I matched them, then add 3g in handle, with overgrips and dampener, they are 329 grams.
Now I have another 3g in handle. So, now 332g, balance 33cm, sw around 336

JackB1
07-24-2011, 04:13 PM
and you have no leads on them? My pair was 2g different. I matched them, then add 3g in handle, with overgrips and dampener, they are 329 grams.
Now I have another 3g in handle. So, now 332g, balance 33cm, sw around 336

No lead. It's stock.

cayzi
07-27-2011, 04:14 AM
On volkl facebook they post this:

The new Organix 8 - 315g. Look for it starting late August/early September at a Volkl retailer near you.

Color red + yellow.

captainobvious
07-29-2011, 05:36 AM
Well, you were right Jack. Great stick! My demo's came in and I got about 20 minutes in to hit this x8 yesterday before I had to run. I'd say your description is pretty good. This racquet seems great for a baseliner who likes to sit back and rip away. It has really good, but controllable power and can generate good topspin and slice. I thought by the specs that it may feel a bit too heavy for me but its actually really nice. And it has a balance where the hoop feels a bit heavier but not enough to slow you down...I think it actually really helps to drive through the ball. Looks great, feels really comfortable...I just havent gotten to serve with it yet. I want to get this out there for a match to see what I can do with it. This x8 and the Donnay X-P Dual are the two best racquets I've hit with so far. I can see why you like it so much :)

I dont think I'd have to lead this stick up at all. Pretty darn good as it is.

JackB1
07-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Well, you were right Jack. Great stick! My demo's came in and I got about 20 minutes in to hit this x8 yesterday before I had to run. I'd say your description is pretty good. This racquet seems great for a baseliner who likes to sit back and rip away. It has really good, but controllable power and can generate good topspin and slice. I thought by the specs that it may feel a bit too heavy for me but its actually really nice. And it has a balance where the hoop feels a bit heavier but not enough to slow you down...I think it actually really helps to drive through the ball. Looks great, feels really comfortable...I just havent gotten to serve with it yet. I want to get this out there for a match to see what I can do with it. This x8 and the Donnay X-P Dual are the two best racquets I've hit with so far. I can see why you like it so much :)

I dont think I'd have to lead this stick up at all. Pretty darn good as it is.

Yeah I didn't need to add any lead to it, since it has enough mass behind the ball as it is. It's 4 pts HL I believe, but it "feels" more head heavy than that. But I think that works better with my swing. I like to get the racquet moving and then let it take over from there. I don't have a "whippy" swing whatsoever. I was surprised at the X8's rather soft feel at impact and also the nice ball pocketing you get. Glad to head you like it!

TennisMaverick
07-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah I didn't need to add any lead to it, since it has enough mass behind the ball as it is. It's 4 pts HL I believe, but it "feels" more head heavy than that. But I think that works better with my swing. I like to get the racquet moving and then let it take over from there. I don't have a "whippy" swing whatsoever. I was surprised at the X8's rather soft feel at impact and also the nice ball pocketing you get. Glad to head you like it!

Both X8s have a lot of ball pocketing, and decent dwell time. In conjunction with the lack of vibration and softness to the hand, these attributes really make for a huge attack on other 100in2 frames.

jibinhe
07-29-2011, 02:32 PM
I have 6g in handle now in my x8, I like more head light feel and more weight. Now I get my serving pace back, and all of the sudden I can S&V now somehow :D x8 is very all around for me, not just a baseline bat. I love my x8 so much, even enough to resist the 315 :D

JackB1
07-29-2011, 03:07 PM
I have 6g in handle now in my x8, I like more head light feel and more weight. Now I get my serving pace back, and all of the sudden I can S&V now somehow :D x8 is very all around for me, not just a baseline bat. I love my x8 so much, even enough to resist the 315 :D

I agree about it's "all court" properties. I play doub's too and it volleys nice and also has nice touch for droppers.

captainobvious
08-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Man, Im torn between this and the XP Dual. I like the baseline play of this stick better but the serves of the XP better. I need to get some more time in with both. This is a fantastic stick by Volkl. VERY comfortable and just easy to hit. Both have monster spin and excellent control. It feels good to rip away at some shots and know that the topspin will keep it in, deep in the court. The x8 has more power than the XP Dual too, yet its very controllable.

msalamon
08-01-2011, 11:19 AM
does it feel at all head heavy to you? Just wondering cause it felt that way when I picked it up-but havent had a chance to play it yet

jibinhe
08-01-2011, 12:02 PM
does it feel at all head heavy to you? Just wondering cause it felt that way when I picked it up-but havent had a chance to play it yet

It does for me as my usually sticks are around 6 point head light, my x8 was 3 point head light after strung, and feel more head heavy than that. I placed 6 g lead at the end of the handle. feel much better now.

JackB1
08-01-2011, 12:03 PM

It does feel "head heavy" to me, even though it's 3-4 pts HL.
There seems to be a lot of weight in the hoop.

JackB1
08-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Man, Im torn between this and the XP Dual. I like the baseline play of this stick better but the serves of the XP better. I need to get some more time in with both. This is a fantastic stick by Volkl. VERY comfortable and just easy to hit. Both have monster spin and excellent control. It feels good to rip away at some shots and know that the topspin will keep it in, deep in the court. The x8 has more power than the XP Dual too, yet its very controllable.

What strings you have in yours and what tension? I am still trying to find the right balance of power and control.

cayzi
08-01-2011, 12:13 PM
It does for me as my usually sticks are around 6 point head light, my x8 was 3 point head light after strung, and feel more head heavy than that. I placed 6 g lead at the end of the handle. feel much better now.

315 x8 will be more head light. just sow it today in shop. really like yellow details.

what i do not like about new oranix line is details on frame (inside details of organix material) because it looks like they are just cheap stickers which will go off the frame after a while using it.

Also a lot of dust and some black stretches below lacquer. :evil:

cayzi
08-01-2011, 12:14 PM
It does feel "head heavy" to me, even though it's 3-4 pts HL.
There seems to be a lot of weight in the hoop.

For me it also feels head heavy in some way.

cayzi
08-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Man, Im torn between this and the XP Dual.

I would still like to try this XP Dual (despite I do not prefer > 100 inch head size) and X10 295 feels also a little bit head heavier and feeling just holding it do not give me a feeling of LOW powered frame.

Need to try this yellow thing. :twisted:

jibinhe
08-01-2011, 12:31 PM
315 x8 will be more head light. just sow it today in shop. really like yellow details.

what i do not like about new oranix line is details on frame (inside details of organix material) because it looks like they are just cheap stickers which will go off the frame after a while using it.

I was been told that the 315 will not be released until next year when I got my x8 few month ago (TM, was that you? :evil:), so I cannot wait, so I got the x8 instead......why they cannot release the whole line at once

However, I am very happy with my x8 with mod, enough not to consider switch even to 315. It's feel same stable as PDR, and lighter which allow me do better at net and last longer in rally, no 315 required :D

The paint is not as good as I expected from Volkl, the design is a beauty, but the quality is not very good. the paint is not as strong as PDR. And my friend's PB V1's point is much better. I fixed quite a few dents with my wife's nail stuff already :D

TennisMaverick
08-01-2011, 12:55 PM

I got your email and viewed the photos. I have both the 300 and 315, plus, I just received two more, and I don't see this issue. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

cayzi
08-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I was been told that the 315 will not be released until next year when I got my x8 few month ago (TM, was that you? :evil:),

I saw a sample in a volkl dealer shop. It was not on sale. This frame will be available at the end of the year or in the begining 2012.

cayzi
08-01-2011, 12:59 PM
I just received two more, and I don't see this issue. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Then you have a luck.

TennisMaverick
08-01-2011, 01:57 PM
I was been told that the 315 will not be released until next year when I got my x8 few month ago (TM, was that you? :evil:)

It wasn't me, and don't forget, I tried to hook you up but you went retail in the UK. I found out about the 315, just a day before I was sent one, about two weeks ago. I was very surprised. They did this because the X8 300 was so good, and that two shipments sold out before April, so they wanted one with the specs to go head2head with the Roddick frame, knowing that many are developing arm issues, which does not happen with a BB/Volkl.

It will be available in a few weeks.

jibinhe
08-01-2011, 03:02 PM
It wasn't me, and don't forget, I tried to hook you up but you went retail in the UK. I found out about the 315, just a day before I was sent one, about two weeks ago. I was very surprised. They did this because the X8 300 was so good, and that two shipments sold out before April, so they wanted one with the specs to go head2head with the Roddick frame, knowing that many are developing arm issues, which does not happen with a BB/Volkl.

It will be available in a few weeks.

I was just kidding:)
I was just being cautious man, I didn't know you before. I got good deal anyway, a month earlier than the official release and with the price of PB8 because the retailer didn't know Volkl will rise price on Organix line.:)

cayzi
08-05-2011, 09:47 AM
300 users how much your x8 weight with strings, over grip (0.6mm) + volkl dumper?

thanks.

mary fierce
08-05-2011, 10:07 AM
"arm issues, which does not happen with a BB/Volkl" is an absurd, unsubstantiated, and rather irresponsible thing to write. I developed elbow symptoms while using both the PB 8 and Organix 8, as well as the old Tour 8 years ago. There is simply no such thing as a racquet that one never gets arm symptoms with. Tony Roche developed his tennis elbow while using an extraordinarily flexible wood racquet.

JackB1
08-05-2011, 10:33 AM
"arm issues, which does not happen with a BB/Volkl" is an absurd, unsubstantiated, and rather irresponsible thing to write. I developed elbow symptoms while using both the PB 8 and Organix 8, as well as the old Tour 8 years ago. There is simply no such thing as a racquet that one never gets arm symptoms with. Tony Roche developed his tennis elbow while using an extraordinarily flexible wood racquet.

Have to agree. While some racquet mfgs are more known for comfortable racquets, you can have arm issues with ANY racquet if you technique is bad....strings too stiff...etc. I think most people here realize that when Mav talks about Volkl/Becker, there may be a little "tempering" needed :)

JackB1
08-05-2011, 10:35 AM
300 users how much your x8 weight with strings, over grip (0.6mm) + volkl dumper?

thanks.

I posted mine somehere earlier in this thread, but I think my 3 ranged around 323-329 grams.

cayzi
08-05-2011, 10:36 AM
I posted mine somehere earlier in this thread, but I think my 3 ranged around 323-329 grams.

Mine is 335.

TennisCJC
08-05-2011, 11:18 AM

Federer and McEnroe both play gut or gut hybrids with gut in the 40s. Federer has a slightly hi-er swing speed than all of us. I have used gut as a main and a cross as low as 54 lbs with good results. Could go a little lower if needed but I was not using an X8 or similar rackets - used thinner beam, more flex and less power. For X8 you may need gut at hi-er tension.

JackB1
08-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Mine is 335.

That's a bit high. That means your strings and overgrip weigh 35 grams! ??
Is the grip stock?

cayzi
08-05-2011, 05:33 PM
That's a bit high. That means your strings and overgrip weigh 35 grams! ??
Is the grip stock?

strings, overgrip + dumper.

BigM
08-05-2011, 05:53 PM
strings, overgrip + dumper.

335 does seem pretty high are you sure thats the correct weight? I had similar issues with the X8 and just got tired trying to match them so I got rid of them. I hope to be swapping to the x8 315 when they are released in a few weeks. I'm currently play testing the Head IG 16x19 315 great stick so far.

JackB1
08-05-2011, 06:10 PM
335 does seem pretty high are you sure thats the correct weight? I had similar issues with the X8 and just got tired trying to match them so I got rid of them. I hope to be swapping to the x8 315 when they are released in a few weeks. I'm currently play testing the Head IG 16x19 315 great stick so far.

I actually went from the Speed 315 to the X8. The 315 is a great stick, but the X8 is a little easier at my level. My 3 X8's are all about 4 grams apart from each other. Its a little frustrating.

TennisMaverick
08-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Have to agree. While some racquet mfgs are more known for comfortable racquets, you can have arm issues with ANY racquet if you technique is bad....strings too stiff...etc. I think most people here realize that when Mav talks about Volkl/Becker, there may be a little "tempering" needed :)

Please....my shoulder issues have been well documented on these threads. Even if I've gone for weeks without hitting a ball, I still need PT or chiropractics, and sometimes acupuncture just for regular "in my apartment" activities.

Arm/shoulder issues which are asymptomatic only become so with sticks/strings which force the player's muscles to have to work too hard for the condition, or, the player's technique is just plain lacking, and Volkl sticks are exactly known to do the opposite.

rovision
08-11-2011, 10:34 AM
I actually went from the Speed 315 to the X8. The 315 is a great stick, but the X8 is a little easier at my level. My 3 X8's are all about 4 grams apart from each other. Its a little frustrating.

... and what's going to be next? ;)

cayzi
08-11-2011, 01:21 PM

You mention 4g between each other which mean one is 4g heavier than another and so on... I am not sure if you can notice that...or what?

Posture Guy
08-22-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm demoing this racquet tonight. Interesting comments, thanks to all for sharing them. Sounds like it's a great baseline racquet that others have found is also more than adequate for all court play.

I'm not a baseliner. I'm 50 years old, was raised back in the day where you got your butt to the net at the first opportunity to end the point. And I enjoy playing that way. I don't want to sit back and pound away. If I'm serving well and my opponent's return is somewhat weak, I'll serve and volley. But usually, I'm waiting on a short ball to attack and approach.

so no one has found this racquet not to be good for such an all court style?

also demoing these other sticks:

Wilson Pro Open BLX
Prince Exo3 Black
Yonex V Core 98 D

could be wrong, but after just taking them out of the box and feeling how they sit in my hand, I'm guessing it's gonna come down to the Yonex or the Volkl. Just coming back to the game after a long absence, playing with a Yonex RD TI-50 now. Was an absolute demo ***** the last time I was playing regularly (8 years ago) and I wish I'd taken notes, but I remember really liking some of the Volkls I tried before opting for Yonex. Looking forward to seeing how this thing plays, it's an attractive racquet.

Posture Guy
08-22-2011, 10:38 AM
one question: people talk about its spin potential in relation to topspin. How about carving a nice slice backhand? Does the ball bite and stay low or does it tend to fly?

wrxinsc
08-22-2011, 11:08 AM
one question: people talk about its spin potential in relation to topspin. How about carving a nice slice backhand? Does the ball bite and stay low or does it tend to fly?

Backhand slice is heavy, low, true and biting.

JackB1
08-22-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm demoing this racquet tonight. Interesting comments, thanks to all for sharing them. Sounds like it's a great baseline racquet that others have found is also more than adequate for all court play.

I'm not a baseliner. I'm 50 years old, was raised back in the day where you got your butt to the net at the first opportunity to end the point. And I enjoy playing that way. I don't want to sit back and pound away. If I'm serving well and my opponent's return is somewhat weak, I'll serve and volley. But usually, I'm waiting on a short ball to attack and approach.

Wilson Pro Open BLX
Prince Exo3 Black
Yonex V Core 98 D

could be wrong, but after just taking them out of the box and feeling how they sit in my hand, I'm guessing it's gonna come down to the Yonex or the Volkl. Just coming back to the game after a long absence, playing with a Yonex RD TI-50 now. Was an absolute demo ***** the last time I was playing regularly (8 years ago) and I wish I'd taken notes, but I remember really liking some of the Volkls I tried before opting for Yonex. Looking forward to seeing how this thing plays, it's an attractive racquet.

You should check out the Head IG Instinct. I have been using it and the X8-300 and I think the Instint makes a better "all court" racquet for serve and volleying or just for all around play. It's a tad light in stock form, but just adding 6 grams to mine made it perfect for me. The X8 I believe is more of a pure baseliner's racquet. It feels a little head heavy through the air, making it less than ideal for quick volleys and overheads.

Posture Guy
08-22-2011, 11:52 AM
thanks guys.

another question: does anyone have experience with the Volkl V1 Classic? Would love to hear how it compares and contrasts to the O8 300.

Posture Guy
08-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Jack, that Head looks really nice. The feedback is great, and while I try not to care that much about cosmetics, the paint job is beautiful, really nice design.

ok, so out of these 4, whichever I like the most, sounds like I need to put it up against the Head IG Instinct, and maybe the V1 Classic. Don (from here at TW) was telling me how much he enjoys playing with it and the feedback on it is great, as well.

I'm now remembering why demoing was both so fun and so frustrating all at the same time!

TennisMaverick
08-22-2011, 12:10 PM
thanks guys.

another question: does anyone have experience with the Volkl V1 Classic? Would love to hear how it compares and contrasts to the O8 300.

There is no comparison. they are totally different frames, designed for totally different types of players. See: Organix Club thread

TennisMaverick
08-22-2011, 12:13 PM

Wilson Pro Open BLX
Prince Exo3 Black
Yonex V Core 98 D

If you point the butt to the net, then this DEFINITELY IS NOT the stick for you. Depending on your level of play, you should be using the London--3.5-5.5 max--or the Melbourne--5.0 min-7.0.

Posture Guy
08-22-2011, 02:04 PM
TM....hah! Good one.

but in case it makes any difference, to clarify, when I was last playing regularly I was a solid 4.5. After coming back from an 8 year absence I'm hanging well with guys that play in a 4.0 league, and starting to beat on them a bit.

re the V1 Classic versus the Organix 8, would love to hear more about how they're designed for completely different players. Don't know what level Don is at now, but when we hit years back we were at comparable levels. I doubt our games or skill sets are radically different.

TennisMaverick
08-22-2011, 05:01 PM
TM....hah! Good one.

but in case it makes any difference, to clarify, when I was last playing regularly I was a solid 4.5. After coming back from an 8 year absence I'm hanging well with guys that play in a 4.0 league, and starting to beat on them a bit.

re the V1 Classic versus the Organix 8, would love to hear more about how they're designed for completely different players. Don't know what level Don is at now, but when we hit years back we were at comparable levels. I doubt our games or skill sets are radically different.

The X8 300 is designed for moderate to severe topspin players who still drive some balls and need a very steady head at the net. Basically, it is a 100in2 which is not heavily polarized, so there is weight in the bridge/throat, as well as the head. This stick is the PB 8 315 update, which itself was designed to overcome the harshness of the PB 8 295's polarization. most Volkl users are over 35 years old, and still hit through the ball, regardless of how much topspin is being attempted. The Sportster, Melbourne, DC Pro, were all beefed-up in the center of the frame for the same reason, to meet the users. The new X8 315 is for severe topspin hitters. The V1 is a very soft, muted, precision frame. It is better for hitting through than hitting heavy spin, but it can be modified to do so--Mantilla used to be contracted to use it after his shoulder surgery. It can also be leaded-up to work as a player's frame.

Posture Guy
08-22-2011, 05:27 PM
just got back from hitting. I really liked the X8 300. I'm not a heavy spinner, I hit a relatively flat ball but I liked the feel of this a lot. Very solid, can generate good topspin and as was said above, I could carve some nice slice backhands as well as drive the ball with my backhand. I don't generate much topspin off the backhand side.

That said, it did feel a tad sluggish at the net. After I return these, will probably re-order this as a demo and then also get the Head mentioned above to demo those side by side.

And what's nice, when I went back to my Yonex RD TI-50, it still felt pretty good. I could do worse than staying with what I've got.

JackB1
08-23-2011, 04:49 AM
just got back from hitting. I really liked the X8 300. I'm not a heavy spinner, I hit a relatively flat ball but I liked the feel of this a lot. Very solid, can generate good topspin and as was said above, I could carve some nice slice backhands as well as drive the ball with my backhand. I don't generate much topspin off the backhand side.

That said, it did feel a tad sluggish at the net. After I return these, will probably re-order this as a demo and then also get the Head mentioned above to demo those side by side.

I found the same thing...just a bit sluggish for quick reaction volleys and overheads. I am hoping the X8-315 will be a little whippier and be better in those areas while retaining the same great response for groundstrokes.

TennisMaverick
08-23-2011, 10:34 AM
I found the same thing...just a bit sluggish for quick reaction volleys and overheads. I am hoping the X8-315 will be a little whippier and be better in those areas while retaining the same great response for groundstrokes.

If you're balanced, the 300 volleys better; if you are stretched, the 315 volleys better.

TennisMaverick
08-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Much of this info and many of these questions have already been covered in associated X threads, many times.

Reading......is FUNDAMENTAL!!!

JackB1
08-23-2011, 10:39 AM
If you're balanced, the 300 volleys better; if you are stretched, the 315 volleys better.

Well, I'm off balance most of the time, so maybe the 315's better for me :)

Posture Guy
08-23-2011, 10:43 AM
TM.....is this not a forum for general comments and questions regarding this respective racquet?

I thought the idea of a thread like this was to consolidate user experiences, questions and comments into one thread so one didn't have to go read through 27 different threads to glean the information they're looking for.

re the volleying characteristics of this particular racquet, I wouldn't say that I don't think it can be used as an all court racquet, but it did feel to me just a tad on the 'less than ideally wieldy'. Am going to hit with it again Thursday, will spend a bit more time at the net to get a better feel for it. But would ideally like to find something that feels similarly solid from the baseline while being a little more suited to net play. The Head mentioned above sounds appealing, definitely gonna demo that before I make a final decision.

TennisMaverick
08-23-2011, 10:55 AM
TM.....is this not a forum for general comments and questions regarding this respective racquet?

I thought the idea of a thread like this was to consolidate user experiences, questions and comments into one thread so one didn't have to go read through 27 different threads to glean the information they're looking for.

re the volleying characteristics of this particular racquet, I wouldn't say that I don't think it can be used as an all court racquet, but it did feel to me just a tad on the 'less than ideally wieldy'. Am going to hit with it again Thursday, will spend a bit more time at the net to get a better feel for it. But would ideally like to find something that feels similarly solid from the baseline while being a little more suited to net play. The Head mentioned above sounds appealing, definitely gonna demo that before I make a final decision.

There is the X Club thread, and a couple of X8 threads which have massive amounts of info, most of which is rock solid. Few Volkl threads have Scrub disinformation. For instance, if you wanted to know about the London, after reading the London Bridges thread, you would have to have a massive reading comprehension issue to even think of asking a follow-up question.

farkus
08-23-2011, 11:40 AM
TM....have pvt question for you, but do not know how to access your email...I am at fark0s@yahoo.com, if you would be kind enough to contact me......m.

Posture Guy
08-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Finished demoing the sticks I got, including the 8/300. Just flat out like my Yonex RD TI-50 better than any of 'em.

Gonna demo the Volkl V1 Classic and the Head Instinct and probably leave it at that.

went to the Organix thread. Maybe there is some good info in there but the dang thing is something like 51 pages long. At that point the thread has become pretty much useless as an information source unless you have a ridiculous amount of time on your hands.

TennisMaverick
08-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Finished demoing the sticks I got, including the 8/300. Just flat out like my Yonex RD TI-50 better than any of 'em.

Gonna demo the Volkl V1 Classic and the Head Instinct and probably leave it at that.

went to the Organix thread. Maybe there is some good info in there but the dang thing is something like 51 pages long. At that point the thread has become pretty much useless as an information source unless you have a ridiculous amount of time on your hands.

Read pages 6-11.

Posture Guy
08-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Got to about page 10 and had enough. Good info, just not any that I particularly cared about.

Maybe I missed it, but didn't see any discussion of comparing these sticks to the V1 Classic.

in the end, I found the 8/300 to have more power than I wanted, less control, and just didn't like the feel at the net. My TI-50 feels far more solid and has a lot more control.

Will try the Head and V1 Classic and compare them to the TI-50. The 8/300 just ain't for me. Actually liked the Prince Exo 3 Black better, for me was probably the best of the 4 I demoed.

TennisMaverick
08-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Got to about page 10 and had enough. Good info, just not any that I particularly cared about.

Maybe I missed it, but didn't see any discussion of comparing these sticks to the V1 Classic.

If five pages of reading is a lot.....

RE: V1 Classic: Because it's the X club thread. Then, you search for the V1 classic thread, read, and compare.

The V1 and the X8s are designed for completely different kinds of players. I gave comparisons in #124.

achokshi99
08-26-2011, 10:28 AM
The X8 300 is designed for moderate to severe topspin players who still drive some balls and need a very steady head at the net. Basically, it is a 100in2 which is not heavily polarized, so there is weight in the bridge/throat, as well as the head. This stick is the PB 8 315 update, which itself was designed to overcome the harshness of the PB 8 295's polarization. most Volkl users are over 35 years old, and still hit through the ball, regardless of how much topspin is being attempted. The Sportster, Melbourne, DC Pro, were all beefed-up in the center of the frame for the same reason, to meet the users. The new X8 315 is for severe topspin hitters. The V1 is a very soft, muted, precision frame. It is better for hitting through than hitting heavy spin, but it can be modified to do so--Mantilla used to be contracted to use it after his shoulder surgery. It can also be leaded-up to work as a player's frame.

Thanks for this info re topspin, I have the Organix 8 300 (they didnt have the 315 for demo yet) I'm demoing on har tru courts (no idea if that can impact TE v hard courts) along with a BB London (98 inch one), BB Delta Core Pro (100), and the Head Youtek Radical Pro and O/S versions in literally 20 minutes. All have been strung with normal synthetic except the Youtek Pro which has poly.

Will report back in a separate thread on the feel as my elbow is still a little beat up.

Posture Guy
08-26-2011, 10:38 AM
TM....yes, 5 pages of reading that don't serve my purpose is a lot. 10 pages of reading that DO serve my purpose is great. Like most folks here, I'm a busy guy with a ton of stuff to read.

I read through most of those pages because you requested that I do so and I respect your knowledge. You obviously know a LOT about these racquets and I value your opinion. Would enjoy it more without the condescension, but I respect your opinions nonetheless.

Yes, I'd already seen your comparison of the two and found it informative. It supports my view of the V1, or at least what I'm hoping it is based on the feedback from others, and explains some of why I don't particularly care for the 8/300.

I think Volkl makes a quality product and I look forward to demoing the V1 Classic MP. Sounds like it might be a bit better suited to my style and needs.

Posture Guy
08-28-2011, 06:57 AM
So after reading through a dozen different Volkl threads, and other racquet threads, I have no more clarity than when I started.

So here's the basic question I'm trying to answer: I liked the O8/300, but found it had 2 issues that made me not want to switch to it. First, it has just a bit more power than I'd like. I had problems hitting a driving backhand, for example, and not hitting it long. I’m an all courter in the classical style, not a heavy top spinner, and this racquet seems more designed for someone who is a heavy spinner. I hit a relatively flat ball. Second, I just didn't feel comfortable with it at the net. Felt a little clunky to me up there.

Are there any other Volkls I should demo? I really do like the Volkl feel. I'm planning on demoing the Head Instinct and the Volkl V1 Classic, not sure if there are any others I should be taking a gander at. I'm totally open to any brand, but because there's so much discussion on the Volkls I'm having a hard time getting a feel for the respective characteristics of different sticks in their line, especially how they compare specifically to the O8.

thanks in advance for any responses.

dParis
08-28-2011, 08:56 AM
So after reading through a dozen different Volkl threads, and other racquet threads, I have no more clarity than when I started.

So here's the basic question I'm trying to answer: I liked the O8/300, but found it had 2 issues that made me not want to switch to it. First, it has just a bit more power than I'd like. I had problems hitting a driving backhand, for example, and not hitting it long. I’m an all courter in the classical style, not a heavy top spinner, and this racquet seems more designed for someone who is a heavy spinner. I hit a relatively flat ball. Second, I just didn't feel comfortable with it at the net. Felt a little clunky to me up there.

Are there any other Volkls I should demo? I really do like the Volkl feel. I'm planning on demoing the Head Instinct and the Volkl V1 Classic, not sure if there are any others I should be taking a gander at. I'm totally open to any brand, but because there's so much discussion on the Volkls I'm having a hard time getting a feel for the respective characteristics of different sticks in their line, especially how they compare specifically to the O8.

I assume the bold is your basic question.

The Volkl V-1 and Head IGI are great places to (re)start. You will probably find what you are looking for in one of these two racquets. Others you may want to explore if the previous two don't do it for you:

Volkl C10 - Classic with great feel, rush the net all you like. You seem to like somewhat lighter racquets so even though the balance makes the C10 maneuverable, the static weight may be a non-starter for you.

Volkl X10 - Choose between the 295g or 325g version. The 325g was too chunky for me but I'm a big fan of the 295g. I did add a few grams of lead tape to the X295 to better handle heavy shots, particularly when I approach the net.

Becker London - Great touch stick. Not as potent off the ground or serve as the X10-295 but better touch shots and at the net.

Volkl Powerbridge 9 - With as little as 3-4 grams of lead at 12:00 and a couple more at 3/9 the PB9 stays very maneuverable while opening up the power potential of the racquet. Extremely accurate racquet - more so than the X10-295 even - though not quite as much spin.

Plenty of detailed info on all of these racquets on this board. If after reading up you have any remaining questions, only demoing will give you the answers.

Good luck.

Posture Guy
08-28-2011, 09:02 AM
thanks dParis, great info, much appreciated!

JackB1
08-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Posture Guy....u should try the London and the IG Instinct and also the IG Speed 315. One of those is bound to suit you. I am loving the Instinct, but the other 2 have lots of similar qualities. You are correct about the X8 being designed for the modern topspin heavy game. It is. The other 2 racquets mentioned are better for all courters. The London is more flexy soft feeling and the Instinct for me works better on serves and baseline play.

TennisMaverick
08-28-2011, 01:09 PM

Every thread has mentioned that the X8 is for topspin players and not traditional players. If you hit a relatively flat traditional ball, then you should be demoing the PB 7, London, V1s, and the X10s or Melbourne, if you're at that level of play. The London, will suit almost any male player over 35 years old, and between a 3.5-5.5.

There are no comparisons in the line to the X6/8s. Those frames are designed for western grips a n topspin, especially the X8 315, which is designed specifically for violent rotational swings.

Nice post on kettlebells, BTW.

Posture Guy
08-28-2011, 01:23 PM
thanks guys, on this next round of demos I'm gonna go with the V1 Classic MP, the London, and the Head Instinct and Speed sticks.

I appreciate the input very much.

TM, thanks for the kind words on the kettlebell post.

Posture Guy
09-05-2011, 07:21 AM
just demoed the 4 racquets I mentioned above. Tough day to get a really accurate feel as we had 20 mph winds, and gusty.

that said, I LOVED the Volkl V1 Classic MP. Wow, what a great stick. Just didn't feel all that comfortable with the 2 Head sticks. The Becker London felt good, but the V1 just felt so natural. Could really plow through and hit penetrating, flat shots when I wanted to, or could crank up the spin as well. Backhand slices stayed low and cutting, even in the wind, and when I wanted to drive drive a topspin backhand I could hit out with control. Volleys were good as well. Didn't even try serving, the wind was so severe our tosses would've been a joke so we just played some rally games.

Will hit again on Thursday against a stronger player, but I think I may have found my new stick. This is just a great feeling racquet. If I get it, would probably put just a little lead tape on the head, but not much.

JackB1
09-05-2011, 01:17 PM
just demoed the 4 racquets I mentioned above. Tough day to get a really accurate feel as we had 20 mph winds, and gusty.

that said, I LOVED the Volkl V1 Classic MP. Wow, what a great stick. Just didn't feel all that comfortable with the 2 Head sticks. The Becker London felt good, but the V1 just felt so natural. Could really plow through and hit penetrating, flat shots when I wanted to, or could crank up the spin as well. Backhand slices stayed low and cutting, even in the wind, and when I wanted to drive drive a topspin backhand I could hit out with control. Volleys were good as well. Didn't even try serving, the wind was so severe our tosses would've been a joke so we just played some rally games.

Will hit again on Thursday against a stronger player, but I think I may have found my new stick. This is just a great feeling racquet. If I get it, would probably put just a little lead tape on the head, but not much.

Is this the one u loved?
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Volkl_V1_Classic_Midplus/descpageRCVOLKL-VCVN1.html

Posture Guy
09-05-2011, 01:57 PM
yep, that's the one.

got a lesson on Wednesday where I'll hit exclusively with it, then play on Thursday, where I'll also try the Becker again. After those if I still like it, I'm ordering a couple of them.

Posture Guy
09-05-2011, 01:59 PM
one thing that's funny that I just realized? I haven't owned two of the same racquet at any point in my adult life. When I was a kid I played with the Wilson Jack Kramer Select. Had 2 of those. But since then, nope. Last time I was playing I couldn't find a racquet I just fell in love with so I had 3 racquets in my rotation (in addition to my old Prince Orig Graphite).

Now, I want to get 2 of the same stick and start experimenting with different string/tension combos.

dParis
09-05-2011, 06:31 PM
I LOVED the Volkl V1 Classic MP. Wow, what a great stick.

There's a reason this the V1 is called a classic - and it's not just in the name. There are a lot of people on this forum trying to make this racquet and that racquet work for them but have too much pride to let the V1 work for them or even give it a try. I'd even include myself in that group to an extent. Though I'm really enjoying the X10-295 presently, I know I can play well, and perhaps better with the V1. I'm trying to wrestle one out of my friend's bag who hasn't played tennis in over a year and not planning on starting again any time soon. I figure there will come a time when I go back to the V1 for good. It's just too easy to use to ignore.

Because it's fun to try and easy to get get caught up in all the the different racquets, I sometimes forget about the venerable V1. I think I'll have to hit with one this week :). Hope you continue to enjoy it. Keeps us posted on your experience with it.

Posture Guy
09-05-2011, 06:49 PM
dParis.....very interesting.

I was struck by several things with this stick. First, just how natural it felt. I'd read on other threads that it was "like an extension of your arm" and I can absolutely see that. It was very comfortable, and for a longtime Yonex user, it was an easy transition.

second, it's such a versatile stick. I felt like it was going to do anything I asked it to do. I've never had that experience with a demo.

Will post more feedback after my next couple of hitting sessions.

JackB1
09-06-2011, 05:34 AM
dParis.....very interesting.

I was struck by several things with this stick. First, just how natural it felt. I'd read on other threads that it was "like an extension of your arm" and I can absolutely see that. It was very comfortable, and for a longtime Yonex user, it was an easy transition.

second, it's such a versatile stick. I felt like it was going to do anything I asked it to do. I've never had that experience with a demo.

Will post more feedback after my next couple of hitting sessions.

Did the oversize head bother you or the really thick beam at the top?

Posture Guy
09-06-2011, 06:02 AM
Did the oversize head bother you or the really thick beam at the top?

nope, didn't notice either.

honestly, I rarely look at specs. They lie. I'm more interested in player feedback.

and perhaps some people notice or are bothered by the thickness of the beam at the top, but honestly, I don't think I could even tell you how thick the beam is at the top of any of my racquets. I'm a simple guy, I just go play. If it feels good, then I like it. If not, I don't.

the only thing cosmetically that can bother me is a bad or garish paint job. There was NOTHING about the V1 that bothered me or I felt like I had to "put up with".

JackB1
09-06-2011, 07:05 AM
nope, didn't notice either.

honestly, I rarely look at specs. They lie. I'm more interested in player feedback.

and perhaps some people notice or are bothered by the thickness of the beam at the top, but honestly, I don't think I could even tell you how thick the beam is at the top of any of my racquets. I'm a simple guy, I just go play. If it feels good, then I like it. If not, I don't.

the only thing cosmetically that can bother me is a bad or garish paint job. There was NOTHING about the V1 that bothered me or I felt like I had to "put up with".

Glad you found something that works for you. That's what it's all about.
I will give the V1 a try if I ever come across a demo.

dParis
09-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Glad you found something that works for you. That's what it's all about.
I will give the V1 a try if I ever come across a demo.
I want to give the BB Sportster a shot one of these days, too. I understand it's been sort of a dud sales-wise, but that doesn't mean it's not a good racquet.

The headsize of the V1 is 102sq. in. A difference barely noticeable next to a X8, for instance. It really moves through the air like a more compact racquet would. Better than most 100in, heads I've tried. I'd say similar to your IG Instinct, Jack. It's true the beam is pretty wide but it might only be an issue with the most extreme of grips and swingplanes.

Pneumated1
09-06-2011, 07:59 AM
I want to give the BB Sportster a shot one of these days, too. I understand it's been sort of a dud sales-wise, but that doesn't mean it's not a good racquet.

The headsize of the V1 is 102sq. in. A difference barely noticeable next to a X8, for instance. It really moves through the air like a more compact racquet would. Better than most 100in, heads I've tried. I'd say similar to your IG Instinct, Jack. It's true the beam is pretty wide but it might only be an issue with the most extreme of grips and swingplanes.

I just picked up a PB-V1 from Maverick for my wife to gain entrance into this maddening game, and I absolutely love the feel of the frame. I haven't even gotten it strung for her yet, and I'm impressed already.:) It gave me the same impression the X-295 did just by holding the racquet in hand, and it didn't disappoint, as you know.

Posture Guy
09-06-2011, 08:04 AM
just curious, how does beam width impact playability? Like I said, this isn't something I think I've ever noticed with a racquet.

Agent Orynge
09-06-2011, 08:28 AM
just curious, how does beam width impact playability? Like I said, this isn't something I think I've ever noticed with a racquet.

Flex, maneuverability.

rovision
09-06-2011, 08:47 AM
My recollection of V1 dates back to the Quantum series. I used to play with it up to 1-2 years ago. When V1 DNX came, I've got a second one. However, I didn't quite like the feel of the DNX version. Before selling my original V1, I added some lead to increase the weight a little and it played even better.
That was one versatile racket. It did everything well, not excelling in any aspect, but for a recreational player in the 3-4 range, it's probably one of the best in the Volkl/Becker lines.

TennisMaverick
09-06-2011, 04:05 PM
I just picked up a PB-V1 from Maverick for my wife to gain entrance into this maddening game, and I absolutely love the feel of the frame. I haven't even gotten it strung for her yet, and I'm impressed already.:) It gave me the same impression the X-295 did just by holding the racquet in hand, and it didn't disappoint, as you know.

Dude...it's been weeks! String it for yourself; then you will know how to string it for her.

Posture Guy
09-06-2011, 04:26 PM
agent orynge...thanks.

with this stick, I really didn't notice an issue with maneuverability. It was great at the net.

rovision....just some background. You talked about this racquet for the recreational 3.0-4.0 player. Right now I'm probably a strong 4.0 and will be back to a 4.5 (God willing) here in a month or two (particularly if I can find some 4.5s to hit with, not as plentiful in Austin as they are in SoCal). I'm looking forward to getting back to tournament play and I tend to take my tennis pretty seriously. This racquet? From what I felt yesterday I think it is very unique in that it can have appeal to a WIDE range of players. I could see a 3.0 enjoying it, and I can see a 5.0 killing with it. I thought it had less power and more control than the Head Instinct, for example. At least for me. And it is one of those rare racquets where I found it equally proficient (at a high level) at generating spin or driving the ball flat. It did both VERY well. I could create heavy topspin with it, or hit a biting backhand slice. It punched volleys well, though this is maybe one area where it felt a tad underpowered. I found I had to really punch the volley to get it to penetrate, but that's fine. I should be doing that on my volleys, anyway.

I've no idea how it serves yet, but will find out this week. I suspect it will return better with a little lead on the head.

and fyi, it was recommended to me initially by a friend who has used one for years and is a very solid 4.5.

Pneumated1
09-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Dude...it's been weeks! String it for yourself; then you will know how to string it for her.

Indecisiveness isn't the issue; I know what I'm going to string it for her. I played for the first time in a month on Friday, and had the whole family on the court yesterday morning before the rains ran us off. She hit my Londons for awhile and for the first time showed genuine interest in having her racquet strung---even disappointment that it wasn't. I can't wait to hit it either, but I'm just not playing these days, so I haven't been by the stringer's.

JackB1
09-29-2011, 05:41 AM
I have a coworker/friend who is looking for a used Organix 8-300. If anyone has one to sell or knows of one, please drop me an email. thanks.

JackB1
09-29-2011, 05:55 AM

I have to agree with your assesment of the V1 Classic. I tried it yesterday in a 1 hour rallying/hitting session and really liked it. Mine had copoly mains/syngut crosses and I usually don't use copoly in the mains, but in this racquet it still had nice pocketing and didn't feel harsh at all. I can just imagine how good my usual nat gut/copoly hybrid will feel. I was very impressed with the V1 Classic and was able to easily play with it immediately with little adjustment. Power level seemed nice...good pop with control. Nice slightly cushy feel on impact and the racquet seemed to do whatever I wanted well. Hit with spin or flatten and drive. Both worked equally well. The 102" headsize felt exactly like a 98 or 100. You wouldn't know it was a 102 unless someone told you. The 27/22mm beam didn't really bother me either, since I don't overly angle my racquet anyway. It's hard to believe this racquet has an RDC rating of 69. It feels more like it's in the low 60's. Seems strange to recommend a "69" rated racquet for someone with TE, but I would with this racquet. No residual elbow soreness at all.

I am going to play some more with the V1C but so far I am very impressed. I am just trying to figure out if this stick fits my game moreso than the IG Instinct? Also the fact that the design is older than the more current models, makes me think it may be "outdated", but that may be foolish thinking?

TennisMaverick
09-29-2011, 04:44 PM
I have to agree with your assesment of the V1 Classic. I tried it yesterday in a 1 hour rallying/hitting session and really liked it. Mine had copoly mains/syngut crosses and I usually don't use copoly in the mains, but in this racquet it still had nice pocketing and didn't feel harsh at all. I can just imagine how good my usual nat gut/copoly hybrid will feel. I was very impressed with the V1 Classic and was able to easily play with it immediately with little adjustment. Power level seemed nice...good pop with control. Nice slightly cushy feel on impact and the racquet seemed to do whatever I wanted well. Hit with spin or flatten and drive. Both worked equally well. The 102" headsize felt exactly like a 98 or 100. You wouldn't know it was a 102 unless someone told you. The 27/22mm beam didn't really bother me either, since I don't overly angle my racquet anyway. It's hard to believe this racquet has an RDC rating of 69. It feels more like it's in the low 60's. Seems strange to recommend a "69" rated racquet for someone with TE, but I would with this racquet. No residual elbow soreness at all.

I am going to play some more with the V1C but so far I am very impressed. I am just trying to figure out if this stick fits my game moreso than the IG Instinct? Also the fact that the design is older than the more current models, makes me think it may be "outdated", but that may be foolish thinking?

The V1 is a traditional graphite frame, no nano carbon, so the feel is at 100%. It was designed to do it all, but nothing outstanding. It is a precision arm saving stick, which does by design mechanics, as opposed to internal materials and lay-up design. The Big Grommet tech also adds to the design's weight and balance, like lead tape or how the X material in the X-Frames works. So "outdated"? No. Same designs, just integrated differently.

And it's not a 69 stiffness rating. Volkl rates it much softer. PERIOD.

Hominator
09-29-2011, 05:43 PM
IIRC, Kana, pretty much the best player among TW's play testers, uses the V1.

Posture Guy
09-30-2011, 03:44 AM
yeah, I'm very pleased with my V1. Currently strung up with the Volkl gut/poly hybrid with gut in the mains.

bought a second V1. This weekend going to string them both up (the first one is fraying seriously) with NRG2, just at different tensions, see if I like that string or if I want to stay with a gut/poly combo.

JackB1
09-30-2011, 06:15 AM
yeah, I'm very pleased with my V1. Currently strung up with the Volkl gut/poly hybrid with gut in the mains.

bought a second V1. This weekend going to string them both up (the first one is fraying seriously) with NRG2, just at different tensions, see if I like that string or if I want to stay with a gut/poly combo.

What did u string the gut/poly hybrid at? Is it too powerful? Yesterday I researched a bunch of old posts on the V1 and there is a common running theme about the racquet having too much power. The one I tried had poly mains/syngut and wasn't overly powerful, but I could imagine with nat gut or multi mains, you might need to go above mid tension to keep control.

Pneumated1
09-30-2011, 07:37 AM
What did u string the gut/poly hybrid at? Is it too powerful? Yesterday I researched a bunch of old posts on the V1 and there is a common running theme about the racquet having too much power. The one I tried had poly mains/syngut and wasn't overly powerful, but I could imagine with nat gut or multi mains, you might need to go above mid tension to keep control.

Jack, before you make a final decision on the V1 Classic, try the PB-V1 out. I think that I would personally like the Classic better, but I get the feeling that the PB-V1 may give you a little more crispness that would serve you well. The PB-V1 is very precise and control oriented, and I got it strung for my wife around 55-58lbs. with syn. gut. I give the range because I strung it, and it was my first string job.:)

Posture Guy
09-30-2011, 08:29 AM
I strung it at mid point. Doesn't feel too powerful to me. That said, when I restring both with NRG2, I'm going to string one at mid point, and then one closer to max tension and then compare behavior between the two.

Posture Guy
09-30-2011, 08:31 AM
one question for TM, or anyone else with experience with this stick:

Don Hightower, who works here at TW, is a friend of mine and was the one who initially turned me on to this racquet. He uses it and loves it. He has added a bit of lead tape to his and I'm wondering if anyone else has experience doing so? I like the balance and feel of the stick. Wouldn't mind it being a little more stable for example returning heavy serves, but I don't want to change the playing characteristic of this racquet too much. I'm thinking about adding just a few grams to the head and seeing how that works, but would love feedback from anyone else on this.

Pneumated1
09-30-2011, 09:18 AM

Don Hightower, who works here at TW, is a friend of mine and was the one who initially turned me on to this racquet. He uses it and loves it. He has added a bit of lead tape to his and I'm wondering if anyone else has experience doing so? I like the balance and feel of the stick. Wouldn't mind it being a little more stable for example returning heavy serves, but I don't want to change the playing characteristic of this racquet too much. I'm thinking about adding just a few grams to the head and seeing how that works, but would love feedback from anyone else on this.

Check out the "Volkl Organix" Thread and read from approximately p.75-77. I list there the mods that came with the PB-V1 that I bought for my wife from Maverick. This was his frame and modded to suit him. He also describes these same mods to Fuji (approx. p. 77), as he modded his X-325 the exact same way as he did this PB-V1.

It may seem like a lot of lead, but I think we play at about the same level, and I found the modded PB-V1 to be at a very manageable weight/balance and probably wouldn't want to hit it much lighter. Whether you try these mods or a lesser version, I would keep the balance of the stick. Hope this helps.

Posture Guy
09-30-2011, 10:10 AM
thanks, I'll check that thread out now.

Posture Guy
09-30-2011, 10:27 AM
ok, that was interesting.

so it sounds like TM put lead tape on the bottom half of the hoop with gaps in certain places, and then put a bunch of lead tape under the grip as well? How much total weight did he add to the stick?

I think it's going to be a matter of trial and error coming up with a good feel, but I probably don't want to add more than about .7 ounces of total weight. So maybe about 9-10 grams of tape on the handle, then the same in the head, playing with position of the tape until I end up with a stick that is still about a point head light. That's my current thinking.

JackB1
09-30-2011, 10:40 AM

For increased stability add tape to 3/9 oclock and then if u want to keep balance the same, add the same amount at 7" above the handle. I would
try (4) 4" long 1/4" wide strips to start. Keep it simple.

Pneumated1
09-30-2011, 10:43 AM
ok, that was interesting.

so it sounds like TM put lead tape on the bottom half of the hoop with gaps in certain places, and then put a bunch of lead tape under the grip as well? How much total weight did he add to the stick?

I think it's going to be a matter of trial and error coming up with a good feel, but I probably don't want to add more than about .7 ounces of total weight. So maybe about 9-10 grams of tape on the handle, then the same in the head, playing with position of the tape until I end up with a stick that is still about a point head light. That's my current thinking.

Yeah, I agree that 11.5oz. or so would be good for this frame just barely headlight. I would recommend that you start your lead on the fourth cross from the top and run 8" of 1/4" lead on either side of the stringbed (4 strips), which should run down to the 5/7 locations. Put 2 strips of 1/2" lead 4" long on both sides of the inside of the throat. Then you could balance out 8 grams or so on the handle.

I mod my Londons similarly with 1/8" lead, but I personally don't lead the bridge like Maverick does because I think I hit with a bit more spin than he does. As you say, it's trial and error, but you appear to have a good idea of where you're going. And you can always tone the mods down a bit if it's too much. Enjoy yourself!

JackB1
09-30-2011, 10:48 AM
^^^^thats a lot of lead isn't it?
doesn't that add up to around 20 grams total?

Posture Guy
09-30-2011, 10:48 AM
thanks guys.

one thing I did learn? When I came back to the game after an 8 year absence, if you have a racquet that has been sitting around for 8 years with lead tape on it, good luck getting that tape off.

ain't happening. was really run starting the game back up and all my sticks were like 12.3 ounces. Worked great 8 years ago when I was playing 4 times a week as a solid 4.5 in CA. Coming back to the game? Felt like I was swinging a sledgehammer.

Posture Guy
09-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Jack....exactly. .7 ounces is around 20 grams of tape, right? Isn't an ounce about 28.3 grams? 28.3*.7 = 19.8.

is my math off? It's entirely possible, been a long week.

JackB1
09-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Jack....exactly. .7 ounces is around 20 grams of tape, right? Isn't an ounce about 28.3 grams? 28.3*.7 = 19.8.

is my math off? It's entirely possible, been a long week.

4" of 1/4" tape = 1 gram

ollinger
09-30-2011, 11:31 AM
^^ I used to think so too, but I've had a pathologist friend at work weigh (very carefully, on a frequently calibrated tissue scale) lengths of 1/4" tape on several occasions, and the weight/length varies considerably. We know quality control for racquets isn't so great, who'd expect better with lead tape?

TennisMaverick
09-30-2011, 02:59 PM

Without the lead tape, it won't respond to 5.5 ball quality and above, so my Classic V1 is fully loaded, as is my Cat V10, with is the players version of the Cat V1, the closest to the Classic. With lead tape, this stick stacks-up to any. We use them when there are symptomatic arm issues.

TennisMaverick
09-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I agree that 11.5oz. or so would be good for this frame just barely headlight. I would recommend that you start your lead on the fourth cross from the top and run 8" of 1/4" lead on either side of the stringbed (4 strips), which should run down to the 5/7 locations. Put 2 strips of 1/2" lead 4" long on both sides of the inside of the throat. Then you could balance out 8 grams or so on the handle.

I mod my Londons similarly with 1/8" lead, but I personally don't lead the bridge like Maverick does because I think I hit with a bit more spin than he does. As you say, it's trial and error, but you appear to have a good idea of where you're going. And you can always tone the mods down a bit if it's too much. Enjoy yourself!

If you hit with more spin, don't lead the bridge. If lead on the outside of the shoulders keeps you from being able to rip up the back of the ball, remove the shoulder tape and extend the inner lead tape from 3:00 and bring it down to the 2nd cross from the bottom.

Posture Guy
09-30-2011, 03:16 PM
TM...thanks. When you say "5.5 ball quality" do you mean the balls that a 5.5 player would hit?

at this point that's not an issue. I'm a weak 4.5 at this point and don't anticipate playing any 5.5s anytime soon.

Dumb question: where is the bridge on a tennis racket?

So basically, I was planning on laying down even strips (taking half inch tape and cutting it into 1/4 inch strips to put on each side of the strings) and putting lead from basically 10/2 down to 7/5, and then putting some vertically on the handle under the grip to maintain balance. Any flaws with that plan? I want to preserve the playing characteristics of the stick, just give it a little more stability and oomph through impact.

TennisMaverick
09-30-2011, 05:03 PM
TM...thanks. When you say "5.5 ball quality" do you mean the balls that a 5.5 player would hit?

Yes.

Dumb question: where is the bridge on a tennis racket?

It is the bottom of the frame where the center mains are anchored.

So basically, I was planning on laying down even strips (taking half inch tape and cutting it into 1/4 inch strips to put on each side of the strings) and putting lead from basically 10/2 down to 7/5, and then putting some vertically on the handle under the grip to maintain balance. Any flaws with that plan? I want to preserve the playing characteristics of the stick, just give it a little more stability and oomph through impact.

That maybe a lot for the Classic. Try the same length, don't shorten it just to place 1/4 in on both sides of the grommet holes because the frame will react differently. Put tape on only one half of the grommet holes. For better balance, make sure to put the 1/4 in widths on opposite sides of the grommet holes. If that works for you, you can even the tape out on both side by slicing the tape in 1/8 in wide strips and putting them on both sides. Don't put any on the handle until you see how this lighter mod works.

Posture Guy
10-01-2011, 08:47 AM
TM....sorry I'm being dense but your last paragraph confused me.

when I've leaded up rackets in the past, I always cut the lead tape in half down the middle so that I can put lead on both sides of the grommets. I don't want to create imbalance front vs back. Are you suggesting I do something different?

then you suggested I NOT put any on the handle yet. My concern there is if I just put, say, 8-10 grams on the hoop (say, between 2-5 on the right and 10-7 on the left), then I'm likely to take the racket from 1 point head light to several points head heavy, and I want the stick to stay maneuverable at the net.

thoughts? I appreciate your input, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Posture Guy
10-01-2011, 08:49 AM
someone asked whether the gut hybrid is too powerful for this stick. I think my current string job is losing tension because hitting today it did feel a bit too powerful. I was hitting too many balls a foot long and my slices were not staying low and biting as much as they did before. I hate to cut out gut before it breaks, but I think it's time.

gonna do the dual NRG2 test today and see how that feels. My instincts tell me I'll like this racquet with a bit higher tensions than mid point.

jibinhe
10-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Is this still a x8 300 thread?

TennisMaverick
10-01-2011, 04:14 PM
TM....sorry I'm being dense but your last paragraph confused me.

when I've leaded up rackets in the past, I always cut the lead tape in half down the middle so that I can put lead on both sides of the grommets. I don't want to create imbalance front vs back. Are you suggesting I do something different?

then you suggested I NOT put any on the handle yet. My concern there is if I just put, say, 8-10 grams on the hoop (say, between 2-5 on the right and 10-7 on the left), then I'm likely to take the racket from 1 point head light to several points head heavy, and I want the stick to stay maneuverable at the net.

thoughts? I appreciate your input, thanks for taking the time to respond.

You're attempting to put a lot of tape on a frame which is already loaded big time. Experimenting with mods means that it doesn't have to be perfect. You want to apply tape from 2/10- 7-5, which would be about 8-10 in of 1/2 tape. On the Classic, you may find that to be too much. For testing purposes, I'm suggesting that you apply that length, but only 1/4 in--half the weight--on each side of the racquet face, but on opposite sides of the grommet holes. If that isn't enough, apply another 1/4 to the empty sides. If it is now too heavy, apply weight to the grip or butt as a counter balance, if necessary, or, if it were me, I would apply 1/4, 4 inches long, on each side of the inside of the throat first, before counter balancing below the hand.

You should move this over to the PB V1 vs Classic V1 thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=399106

Posture Guy
10-04-2011, 06:35 AM
made some mods this weekend, will post experiences on the other thread, thanks.

rlau
10-04-2011, 06:55 AM
made some mods this weekend, will post experiences on the other thread, thanks.

Why post it in another thread? At least copy them over, if only just for reference.

Posture Guy
10-04-2011, 06:59 AM
because as was noted this is a thread that should be about a different racquet and my posts are off topic. didn't mean for it to get that deep into it. Was hoping there was a similar thread dedicated to the V1 Classic MP but there doesn't appear to be one. Maybe the other thread will turn into that.

JackB1
10-04-2011, 07:24 AM
because as was noted this is a thread that should be about a different racquet and my posts are off topic. didn't mean for it to get that deep into it. Was hoping there was a similar thread dedicated to the V1 Classic MP but there doesn't appear to be one. Maybe the other thread will turn into that.

how about this one?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=399106

Posture Guy
10-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Jack...that's exactly the one TM suggested and where I posted.

rlau
10-04-2011, 09:08 AM

OK, sorry, I assumed you referred to the Organix 8 in post #189, but apparently you were referring to the V1 Classic, hence my answer.

Posture Guy
10-04-2011, 09:22 AM
no worries.

lcalamar
11-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Have had my x8 for 2 months now and would like to get some feedback on strings.

First off - really enjoy this racquet... very happy with it.

Started out with Volkl Power Fiber II at 56 lbs, as it came free with the purchase. Like the string but don't like the fraying that always comes with a multi, and it broke too soon.

Switched to Gamma TNT2 (54 lbs)- like the feel, but it lost tension way too quickly, lots of string movement.

Switched to Zo Twist (55 lbs) as I had some lying around - and not liking it...

I am looking for good comfort and durability. Tension recommendations are also greatly appreciated.

Have been considering Volkl Cyclone - any thoughts?

FYI... I went to the Volkl partly for arm comfort as I am recovering from TE as well as Shoulder Bursitis... the x8 has made a big difference. Would consider a soft poly but it has to have good comfort.

TennisMaverick
11-02-2011, 06:18 PM
FYI... I went to the Volkl partly for arm comfort as I am recovering from TE as well as Shoulder Bursitis... the x8 has made a big difference. Would consider a soft poly but it has to have good comfort.

That says it all. Your priority should be your health. If I were you, I would go multi; fraying be damned. If you want more durability, then go gut or gut/multi hybrid. Whatever you choose, make sure to drop the cross string tension 2-3 lbs, after you adjust for string differences if you hybrid. If you can't live with the fraying, go the softer V-Pro route. It is the same as Cyclone, but smooth, and the yellow dye makes the string softer. Try 45M/42C for your arm. Lastly, if you like the stick stock, great...but a minimal mod which Hominator came-up with enhances the frame tremendously: add .5-.625 grams of lead tape at each corner of the racquet face. That little 2-2.5 grams will help you joint issues crazy big time.

Posture Guy
11-02-2011, 06:24 PM
icalamar...before we can recommend a string, can you tell us what you'd like from the string provided that the comfort factor is taken care of? Do you want more power? More control? More spin?

TennisTulku
11-02-2011, 07:07 PM
To the poster that asked about strings on X8 300 - I'm using Tecnifibre X-One Biphase at mid tension with really good results. I tried the 17 guage but found it had a little too much pop and switched to the 16.

Lead mods on the X8 300 - Believe it or not I am finding that I want something between .5 and 1 grams of tape. That's it. More than that and the frame feels too heavy for me. But I want to maintain the balance. I am currently trying the .5 grams (total) at the four corners of the frame, and I swear I don't like the balance as much. Should I just .5 grams to the handle?

TennisMaverick
11-02-2011, 07:17 PM
To the poster that asked about strings on X8 300 - I'm using Tecnifibre X-One Biphase at mid tension with really good results. I tried the 17 guage but found it had a little too much pop and switched to the 16.

Lead mods on the X8 300 - Believe it or not I am finding that I want something between .5 and 1 grams of tape. That's it. More than that and the frame feels too heavy for me. But I want to maintain the balance. I am currently trying the .5 grams (total) at the four corners of the frame, and I swear I don't like the balance as much. Should I just .5 grams to the handle?

Hominator put 2.5 grams as a counter on the butt. Try that. I have 16 ga Gripper in both the 300/315, and it works real well.

lcalamar
11-03-2011, 05:19 PM
That says it all. Your priority should be your health. If I were you, I would go multi; fraying be damned. If you want more durability, then go gut or gut/multi hybrid. Whatever you choose, make sure to drop the cross string tension 2-3 lbs, after you adjust for string differences if you hybrid. If you can't live with the fraying, go the softer V-Pro route. It is the same as Cyclone, but smooth, and the yellow dye makes the string softer. Try 45M/42C for your arm. Lastly, if you like the stick stock, great...but a minimal mod which Hominator came-up with enhances the frame tremendously: add .5-.625 grams of lead tape at each corner of the racquet face. That little 2-2.5 grams will help you joint issues crazy big time.

I'll take a look at adding the weight - thanks for the suggestion. What will the weight do for power and/or control.

Also - I'm stringing in the mid 50's, if I go to 45M/42C - won't I have a lot more power and have control issues.

lcalamar
11-03-2011, 05:26 PM
icalamar...before we can recommend a string, can you tell us what you'd like from the string provided that the comfort factor is taken care of? Do you want more power? More control? More spin?

Absolutely.

I am looking for control. Typically hit a lot of topspin but as I'm adjusting to this racquet I am enjoying hitting more flat (my previous racquet was a Prince Speedport Red and I needed the topspin to keep the balls in the court). With the X8 I have a lot more control and am able to hit flatter.

I have no problem generating spin with the X8 so a spin friendly string is not an issue...

I have noticed that with the Zo Twist I have lost a little of the control I had gained with the X8... so between the lack of comfort and the lack of control, I'm looking to cut it out. Though I will say that I can hit a lot of topspin easily with the Zo Twist, just don't want to have to.

So I'm looking for comfort, durability and control.

Thanks for all the great advice and feedback!

TennisMaverick
11-03-2011, 05:43 PM
I'll take a look at adding the weight - thanks for the suggestion. What will the weight do for power and/or control.

Also - I'm stringing in the mid 50's, if I go to 45M/42C - won't I have a lot more power and have control issues.

You have to go down 10% with soft poly from the multis you were using. You can start at 50/47, depending on your stringing craftsmanship. This stick strings-up tight. The little extra weight make the frame more stable and adds to its plow thru.

lcalamar
11-05-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm going to give the V-Pro 16G a try - thanks for the advice.

If I move away from a poly to a multi - would string savers be something to try for added durability?

TennisMaverick
11-05-2011, 08:13 PM
If I move away from a poly to a multi - would string savers be something to try for added durability?

String savers in multis and gut work great. I don't use them until the string start to fray and lose thickness, but some people pre-install the string savers beforehand in strategic or frequently breaking areas--Federer puts five or so string savers on one particular string. I personally prefer Gexco String Eyes because they're circular and soft, and my second choice is UNIQUE Tourna Cross. Both are also cheaper than the Bab string savers.

lcalamar
11-09-2011, 02:52 PM
I came across Vokll V-Maxx hybrid string. Used V-Pro in the Mains and V-Wrap in the Crosses.

I'm thinking this would be good on my arm, provide some durability and some good playability also?

So no multi in this hybrid - but my still try some string savers for added durability?

Thanks again for all the advice... I need to switch from the Zo-twist as it is killing my arm :(

TennisMaverick
11-23-2011, 11:31 PM
For all of you who use this stick...you are now winning using Volkl's #1 best seller!

Agent Orynge
11-25-2011, 05:04 PM
For all of you who use this stick...you are now winning using Volkl's #1 best seller!

TM, I've seen you describe the X8 series as something of a 'best in class' phenomenon, and that any junior using a similar frame from another brand (most notably Babolat) would be better off making the switch to Volkl. I've actually hit with the X8 300, and while I thought it was a decent stick, I still find myself curious about similar offerings. That having been said, can you offer me your insights on some of those other frames? I'd be very interested to see you give a more comprehensive comparison between the X8 and, say, the Dunlop AG 500 Tour, Gamma CP-900, or Prince EXO3 Black, but anything else you're familiar with would suffice. Thanks!

lcalamar
12-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Before I purchased my X8 300, I demoed the HEAD Youtek Radical Pro, Radical MP, IG Instinct, IG Speed 18x20 none of which I liked as much as the X8. I liked the Prince EX03 Tour 100 quite a bit. It was a close second the the X8. Of the Heads' I didn't think any of them were as solid as the X8 or EX03 - but consider I can go through stretches where I'm not hitting the ball great... During those times is when the X8 really stood out.

I found the control AND power I get with the X8 is the right mix for me.

I did just switch to hybrid strings - the Volkl VMaxx, reduced my tension a little, added string savers, and added some weight to the head as suggested in these threads.

All in all those have all been great changes. I like the hybrid solution with string savers - I'm not breaking strings and it is not so hard on my shoulder. I may switch to a different hybrid down the line but feel like I am on the right path now!!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

lcalamar
12-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Quick update.

Switched to Head IntelliString Hybrids - strung at 55 main/51 cross.

Like this much better than the Volkl Hybrid - softer, pockets better, easier on the arm and still good control and power.

Peter Szucs
12-26-2011, 12:49 PM
I just purchased an X8 and I need probably 5 grams to be added to the butt for the desired balance but i have issues with putting it under the grip as the last time i did it i had to remove it cause i could feel it holding the racquet and it bothered me. To my best knowledge the Volkl handles can not be opened, the butt cup is not removable and there is no removable trap door like with other brands.
Any suggestions on how i can best add 5grams to the handle on the X8 300?

TennisMaverick
12-26-2011, 01:54 PM
I just purchased an X8 and I need probably 5 grams to be added to the butt for the desired balance but i have issues with putting it under the grip as the last time i did it i had to remove it cause i could feel it holding the racquet and it bothered me. To my best knowledge the Volkl handles can not be opened, the butt cup is not removable and there is no removable trap door like with other brands.

Many Volkl users don't like the grip shape. Are you one of them?

If so, just cover the two side bevels with lead tape. That is a little more than 5 grams, closer to 7 grams. that will also make the grip a little rounder.

Or you can just switch to a leather grip.

JackB1
12-26-2011, 03:47 PM

pretty sure there is room inside the handle to add weight in there. The butt cap is definitely removable. I removed mine when I was changing pallets. I seem to remember that there was room inside the handle.

Peter Szucs
12-27-2011, 12:51 AM
Many Volkl users don't like the grip shape. Are you one of them?

If so, just cover the two side bevels with lead tape. That is a little more than 5 grams, closer to 7 grams. that will also make the grip a little rounder.

Or you can just switch to a leather grip.

No, I love the Volkl grip shape in stock form, dont want to adjust the shape.
I personally dont like leather but changing the Volkl replacement grip to a heavier synthetic grip can be a solution. Thanks

Peter Szucs
12-27-2011, 12:51 AM
pretty sure there is room inside the handle to add weight in there. The butt cap is definitely removable. I removed mine when I was changing pallets. I seem to remember that there was room inside the handle.

Thanks Jack

dParis
12-27-2011, 05:48 AM
Jack is correct. The buttcap is removable. In the center of the handle, there is a round cavity which seats the bio-sensor pin and on either side of that is a channel that I was able to easily insert and stick 1/2" wide lead tape into.

Side Note: Be careful when replacing the buttcap. The staple that fixes the buttcap to the handle must sink all the way into the graphite portion of the handle, not only the pallet. The pallet material is brittle and could easily crack if too short a staple is used or it doesn't go all the way through the pallet. You could use the existing staple and tap it back into the existing hole, or use a new, proper staple and a staple gun. I used glue to attach the buttcap to the handle as the first two options were unavailable to me.

Peter Szucs
12-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Jack is correct. The buttcap is removable. In the center of the handle, there is a round cavity which seats the bio-sensor pin and on either side of that is a channel that I was able to easily insert and stick 1/2" wide lead tape into.

Side Note: Be careful when replacing the buttcap. The staple that fixes the buttcap to the handle must sink all the way into the graphite portion of the handle, not only the pallet. The pallet material is brittle and could easily crack if too short a staple is used or it doesn't go all the way through the pallet. You could use the existing staple and tap it back into the existing hole, or use a new, proper staple and a staple gun. I used glue to attach the buttcap to the handle as the first two options were unavailable to me.

Thanks dParis! This is going to be my B plan.
The A plan is to apply a heavier replacement grip. Any idea about what the stock völkl grip weights?

TennisMaverick
12-27-2011, 08:24 AM
The A plan is to apply a heavier replacement grip. Any idea about what the stock völkl grip weights?

Leather: Full Length: 25 grams

Syngrip is not appreciably heavy and obviously the same as what came on the stick.

ollinger
12-27-2011, 08:32 AM
hey Mav, how does changing to a leather grip alter the shape of the grip??

Rich
12-27-2011, 09:49 AM
I personally dont like leather but changing the Volkl replacement grip to a heavier synthetic grip can be a solution. Thanks

Why don't you just change to a Volkl leather grip, with an overgrip on top of that? Then you get the advantage of a more headlight balance, but you retain the anti slip properties of synthetic. I like it this way.

Peter Szucs
12-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Why don't you just change to a Volkl leather grip, with an overgrip on top of that? Then you get the advantage of a more headlight balance, but you retain the anti slip properties of synthetic. I like it this way.

I find leather too firm even with an overgrip on.

dParis
12-27-2011, 11:12 AM
You're welcome, Peter. I don't know what various synthetic replacement grips from various companies weigh. Maybe someone on TT has some comprehensive info and can chime in. I continue to be surprised by the arcane knowledge that can be found here :). I don't know if you can find a replacement grip that will be 5 grams heavier than the stock Volkl - and if you do, will it need to be trimmed and still be 5g heavier and most important, will you like that particular grip?

Five additional grams through a replacement grip would be spread throughout the length of the grip - not concentrated in the butt. Maybe it would be easiest if you added lead to the pallet just above your hand. Perhaps not ideal, particularly if you have a two-handed bh, but it would avoid interfering with the grip shape and it would get you more head light.

Peter Szucs
12-27-2011, 02:13 PM
You're welcome, Peter. I don't know what various synthetic replacement grips from various companies weigh. Maybe someone on TT has some comprehensive info and can chime in. I continue to be surprised by the arcane knowledge that can be found here :). I don't know if you can find a replacement grip that will be 5 grams heavier than the stock Volkl - and if you do, will it need to be trimmed and still be 5g heavier and most important, will you like that particular grip?

Five additional grams through a replacement grip would be spread throughout the length of the grip - not concentrated in the butt. Maybe it would be easiest if you added lead to the pallet just above your hand. Perhaps not ideal, particularly if you have a two-handed bh, but it would avoid interfering with the grip shape and it would get you more head light.

I am especially interested in the weight of Wilson's Pro Hybrid rep grip vs the Volkl Synth. The leather layer should in theory increase the weight while it still is a thin medium soft grip with great feel.
Yes the extra weight would be distributed through the handle but i think that its fine. I like to avoid adding weight concentrated in general.
Putting it above the handle is the last option as i have 2hbh and i need all the room until the V. Plus when i played with the PB8 i put the lead on like this and did not really like it.

JackB1
12-27-2011, 02:45 PM
I am especially interested in the weight of Wilson's Pro Hybrid rep grip vs the Volkl Synth. The leather layer should in theory increase the weight while it still is a thin medium soft grip with great feel.
Yes the extra weight would be distributed through the handle but i think that its fine. I like to avoid adding weight concentrated in general.
Putting it above the handle is the last option as i have 2hbh and i need all the room until the V. Plus when i played with the PB8 i put the lead on like this and did not really like it.

The Gamma Hi-tech gel grip is the heaviest syn grip available and would be about as heavy as leather. The Wilson Hybrid is a nice grip, but is only slightly heavier than the average synthetic.

dParis
12-27-2011, 03:02 PM
+1 for the Wilson Pro Hybrid. I think removing the buttcap and putting lead in the handle is the way to go. It's really pretty simple and quick. Plus, I think it strengthens the intimacy between the racquet and its owner.

:wink:

:lol:

Peter Szucs
12-30-2011, 07:50 AM
+1 for the Wilson Pro Hybrid. I think removing the buttcap and putting lead in the handle is the way to go. It's really pretty simple and quick. Plus, I think it strengthens the intimacy between the racquet and its owner.

Thanks for the help guys, I finally decided to remove the buttcap and put the lead inside. I rolled the lead into cotton and used some glue to fix it in the handle.

seanyw
06-17-2012, 07:48 PM

Just put on a wilson pro hybrid grip on my x8 300 and I am really happy with the balance and feel. Excellent combo.