PDA

View Full Version : Turbotwist gauge with n95

sargeinaz
07-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Hi everyone, I have a wilson n95 in the 16x18 and Ive decided I want to try turbotwist for the first time (this would also be my first poly ever) and wanted to know if I should get the 17 or 17L gauge and why? Im not a string breaker so thats not an issue and I normally use either vs17 at 55lbs or NRG17 at 55lbs. Basically just wanted peoples input. I assume the 17L has more power and spin, is that correct? Ill be using it in a full bed at 53lbs. Thanks in advance.

mixedmedia
07-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Thinner gauges generally have more bite and feel better in my experience; however, some people prefer thicker gauges in certain strings because it "puts more mass behind the ball." As far as your tension goes, according to what I've been told, you might want to consider stringing first at the tension you usually use for multis and adjusting down from there if needed.

Smasher08
07-22-2011, 04:18 AM
Go to the thinner gauge and drop your tension 10%. Turbotwist was definitely the most arm-friendly poly I tried. But it's still a poly.

So as with all poly, make sure you have very good racket speed on all your shots (ie. NTRP 5.0+ headspeed) otherwise you're at risk for pain/injury.

I found out the hard way that I have a hitch somewhere in my serves! :(

But plenty of other people - who don't have any hitches and generate very good racket speed - use poly without problem.

Good luck & let us know how it goes!

mixedmedia
07-22-2011, 06:03 AM
You can try dropping the tension 10%, but I wouldn't be surprised if you had to raise it back up some.