PDA

View Full Version : How much for stringing?

max pl
07-18-2011, 06:27 PM
What is the average price that a pro shop charges for stringing?

I know Dick's and some tennis clubs around here give free stringing with the purchase of strings, but they all have a terrible selection and I'd prefer to buy from TW.

I'm not sure what to expect as far as pricing so I'd like your input on how much stringing usually costs. I've typically only used the free stringing offer at Dick's, but as mentioned, i'd like to go a different route now.

Thanks.

kchau
07-18-2011, 06:28 PM
~18 usually. labor only.

you can probably find someone legit on craigslist who strings.

pvaudio
07-18-2011, 06:32 PM
The tennis center where I play is either $10 or $15, while the main true pro shop in the city I believe is indeed $18.

max pl
07-18-2011, 06:33 PM
jeez that's the cost of my last babolat strings.

max pl
07-18-2011, 06:34 PM
and since i can't seem to edit posts, thanks for the craigslist suggestion.

i'll look into that.

pvaudio
07-18-2011, 06:34 PM
And honestly what I would do is to ask around where people get their sticks strung, and once you find either someone that does their own or takes them to someone independent, use them. Private stringers will usually charge less just to get them more customers. The trade off is that you can end up with someone not as skilled as a tennis shop stringer who does that for their living (unlike Dick's where it's an employee who happens to know how to string a racquet).

jim e
07-18-2011, 06:46 PM
I would stay clear of big box store stringers in general (unless you personally know the stringer there). In 2 different ones I have seen some outright terrible stringing practices that most customers would not know the difference unless they were a stringer themself.
Always best to have a reputable stringer do the job if you really care how it is done, (although some players probably would care less, so it depends on you) .Sometimes you have to pay for what you get.

max pl
07-18-2011, 06:50 PM
yeh my problem is that Dick's has always done a better job than the one kid I know who strings.

i'll try to avoid both though and perhaps just pony up for quality service at a pro shop.

fortun8son
07-18-2011, 07:05 PM
I string at Sp Auth and we charge $12 for your own string.
Don't think I'd go there if it wasn't me stringing! :)
You never know what you're gonna get at a Big Box.
I've seen some g-dawful stringjobs!
$15-$20 from a qualified tech is not unreasonable.
You're still paying that when they give you 'free stringing' with your $28 set of Sensation!!

quest01
07-18-2011, 07:20 PM
About $15 to $20 bucks. Personally I've never strung anyone's racquet except mine and if it was me I would charge around the same price.

Jaewonnie
07-18-2011, 07:21 PM
I pay about $20 for labour. With the string its about $40.

drgchen
07-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Many stores include the labor charge into the 'free stringing with purchase of strings'.
In Detroit, Michingan I pay $16 for labor- top of the line stringing done in 30min to 1 hour while you wait.

In Ohio at my local tennis club I pay 15 dollars for labor, 2 day turn around time.

In Washington DC a pro I know strings for about 10 dollars labor.

I think you can go the united states racquet stringing association and find a nearby professional stringer who will probably do the job for a comparable price or maybe lower (no middle man).

max pl
07-18-2011, 07:42 PM
jeez that's the cost of my last babolat strings.

Many stores include the labor charge into the 'free stringing with purchase of strings'.
In Detroit, Michingan I pay $16 for labor- top of the line stringing done in 30min to 1 hour while you wait.

In Ohio at my local tennis club I pay 15 dollars for labor, 2 day turn around time.

In Washington DC a pro I know strings for about 10 dollars labor.

I think you can go the united states racquet stringing association and find a nearby professional stringer who will probably do the job for a comparable price or maybe lower (no middle man).

good suggestion.

i'll take a look at their site.

got spin?
07-18-2011, 07:46 PM
NEVER get your racket strung at dicks! One of my students needed a quick string job from them because he was not in town near our club and he took it to dicks, he brought it back to show me, the first 4 crosses were strung right then whoever was stringing got a little bored and didnt run crosses anymore, they just pulled it through. Tie offs were bad and tension was awful. But pretty good for whoever strung it. Probably someone who just got done selling a bike! lol

arunstennis
07-18-2011, 07:59 PM
NEVER get your racket strung at dicks! One of my students needed a quick string job from them because he was not in town near our club and he took it to dicks, he brought it back to show me, the first 4 crosses were strung right then whoever was stringing got a little bored and didnt run crosses anymore, they just pulled it through. Tie offs were bad and tension was awful. But pretty good for whoever strung it. Probably someone who just got done selling a bike! lol
sent you an email lol!

DeShaun
I charge my peeps $20 US dollars. I tell them that I like taking my time of their rackets. Nobody has ever backed out after being quoted my fee. If they did, that would be fine because I don't particularly enjoy stringing rackets anyways...but if I'm going to do it, I insist on doing it well.

When I started stringing, my fee was only $15. I quickly discovered how much I dislike stringing, and concluded that if I were going to keep on stringing, I had at least better cover the cost of the misery.

arunstennis
yeah never go to dick's i've seen them wreck peoples rackets

thebeast73
07-18-2011, 08:03 PM
I charge 12 for multi syngut or hybrid, 15 for full poly of anything with gut.

Can't think of a name
07-18-2011, 09:12 PM
When they say the stringing is free at Dick's or SportsAuthority.. its usually covered in the price of the string. They'll price a 3 dollar string at 20 dollars and say the stringing is free.

pvaudio
07-18-2011, 09:29 PM
I charge my peeps $20 US dollars. I tell them that I like taking my time of their rackets. Nobody has ever backed out after being quoted my fee. If they did, that would be fine because I don't particularly enjoy stringing rackets anyways...but if I'm going to do it, I insist on doing it well.

When I started stringing, my fee was only $15. I quickly discovered how much I dislike stringing, and concluded that if I were going to keep on stringing, I had at least better cover the cost of the misery.Then why on earth would you do it?

kiteboard
07-18-2011, 09:34 PM
The pros charge $25 at slams.

COPEY
07-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Yep, I've had the "Dick's experience" - wasn't pretty. I'm grateful for the experience, however, because they inspired me to purchase a stringer!

I charge $10 labor because (1) much of my clientele consists of high school/college kids who pay for their string jobs, and (2) I don't string to make money; I string because I enjoy it. Surprisingly enough, because of my workmanship, price (I don't mark-up strings) and quick turn-around time, I make more money than I ever realized I would. It's a win-win situation for all involved.

We have two pro shops within striking distance of where I live, however it's a 30-min drive one-way. On top of that, they charge $15 labor and they mark-up strings, which is to be expected since they're a business. Still, their prices are very reasonable...and I ensure that people know that. Some opt to continue to use the pro shop as opposed to using my services, which I don't have a problem with. The pro shops here do a great job, but personally, I got tired of the drive. ;-)

BobFL
07-18-2011, 10:04 PM
I string for friends and I charge $0 :)

My local pro shop charges massive $25. Local SA charges $12 and they do it very poorly. There is one local guy who charges $10 and his is just ok (on average :))

jdunnie014159
07-18-2011, 10:46 PM
I was in City Sports by Boston University this past weekend and chatted with a kid who was stringing an O3 black with Sonic Pro. I can't remember how much the string was, but it was at least $32. He said that they taught him how to string there when they were inundated with racquets and only had one manager who knew how to string. He had never heard of of the prince boomerang tools. His method for solving the O Port issue is to lean the machine against his hip, or clamp a few inches from the edge of the frame. He was using a shiny new Star 5.

GlenK
07-19-2011, 06:29 AM
I charge $15 for labor plus strings. Had no complaints re pricing.

mixedmedia
07-19-2011, 08:32 AM
max pl,

If you like the service of your local Dick's (and your qualm is their string selection), you can buy the strings elsewhere and they will string with your strings for $10 (the cheapest price you'll find; half of MRTs).

pvaudio
07-19-2011, 08:36 AM
I was in City Sports by Boston University this past weekend and chatted with a kid who was stringing an O3 black with Sonic Pro. I can't remember how much the string was, but it was at least $32. He said that they taught him how to string there when they were inundated with racquets and only had one manager who knew how to string. He had never heard of of the prince boomerang tools. His method for solving the O Port issue is to lean the machine against his hip, or clamp a few inches from the edge of the frame. He was using a shiny new Star 5.Bracing the racquet with your hip if you don't have or don't want to use a brake is a common technique.

max pl
07-19-2011, 08:49 AM
max pl,

If you like the service of your local Dick's (and your qualm is their string selection), you can buy the strings elsewhere and they will string with your strings for $10 (the cheapest price you'll find; half of MRTs).

cool. thanks for the info.
i was actually interested in how much they charge for stringing with my own strings. so thanks.

mixedmedia
07-19-2011, 08:56 AM
No problem. I have a number of friends that string for that price, but honestly, I would go with Dick's over them (at least my local one; I'm sure the level of service varies widely). My coach charges $12, so I pay the little bit extra for the added care put into the stringing, and it helps to have somebody familiar with your racquets and special instructions.

ced
07-19-2011, 09:24 AM
.......that would be fine because I don't particularly enjoy stringing rackets anyways...but if I'm going to do it, I insist on doing it well.

When I started stringing, my fee was only $15. I quickly discovered how much I dislike stringing, and concluded that if I were going to keep on stringing, I had at least better cover the cost of the misery.

My feelings about stringing too !! I'm on my third stringer and have never strung another person's racquet (and never will) ... I string my own, but it is the biggest chore I know of. I have a good friend who is a master stringer and will only charge me $5 if I furnish the string, yet I stupidly continue to labor, at length, in the heat, on the screen porch on my own racquets. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I can easily see where $15, $20 or even $25 for labor would not be excessive (unless I was having to pay it !) .

mikeler
07-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Bracing the racquet with your hip if you don't have or don't want to use a brake is a common technique.

Or if your brake is not strong enough.

My feelings about stringing too !! I'm on my third stringer and have never strung another person's racquet (and never will) ... I string my own, but it is the biggest chore I know of. I have a good friend who is a master stringer and will only charge me $5 if I furnish the string, yet I stupidly continue to labor, at length, in the heat, on the screen porch on my own racquets. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I can easily see where $15, $20 or even $25 for labor would not be excessive (unless I was having to pay it !) .

I feel your pain. I string mine just outside the garage in the afternoon during nap time for my boy. Luckily there is shade but it is not easy weaving strings with sweat covered hands.

ced
07-19-2011, 10:18 AM
I feel your pain. I string mine just outside the garage in the afternoon during nap time for my boy. Luckily there is shade but it is not easy weaving strings with sweat covered hands.

Don't see how you do it in the Florida heat ..... bad enough here in Georgia, on the porch , in shade, with ceiling fans ..... at the moment I have three that really need re-stringing, but unless this heat breaks soon I'm going to have to call on my friend, Ed, to help me out !

mikeler
07-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Don't see how you do it in the Florida heat ..... bad enough here in Georgia, on the porch , in shade, with ceiling fans ..... at the moment I have three that really need re-stringing, but unless this heat breaks soon I'm going to have to call on my friend, Ed, to help me out !

There is almost always a breeze here so it is doable. Most of the shops here charge $15 so it is worth saving the money for as much as I like to try and cut out strings.

GlenK
07-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Go inside to string man.. Can't believe anyone is stringing outside in this heat. Just use gut, that'll force you inside.. lol..

mikeler
07-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Go inside to string man.. Can't believe anyone is stringing outside in this heat. Just use gut, that'll force you inside.. lol..

Only 5 or 6 more times out in the heat and the weather will turn better since I tend to string about every 2 weeks.

FedError
07-20-2011, 04:44 AM
A shop over here charges $30 for labour alone... it comes to a total of $55 if you want to string with an expensive poly.

mixedmedia
07-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Whoa, that seems a bit steep, even for an amazing stringing. I thought $20 to $25 was the upper limit generally.

pvaudio
07-20-2011, 10:01 AM
A guy that I know from back home (not really a guy, he's an adult) is a former MRT and tournament stringer and strings on a Star 4, details each person's racquet (nice wipe down plus a sealant), and delivers it free of charge....charges only $15. There is no way whatever pro shop does twice the job.

mixedmedia
07-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Exactly: $30 is way over-priced. But for the service PV described, I expect the average to be closer to $20, if it's a business providing that service.

dak95_00
07-20-2011, 10:49 AM
I have some cheap reels OGMS, Isospeed, etc. and I charge friends $10 for the labor and string and strangers $15. If they bring their own string, it is still $10.

The most important part about stringing is consistancy! If you have someone who does the job for you and you like their work, go to them. If you like the string, stick to that string and stringer. Any change can make your racquet feel different and that could be different good or bad.

Because I'm so cheap, I often seek feedback from my clients. If they are happy, I'm happy. I keep notes on how different strings feel and how the tension is maintained. Most of my clients are very happy. I've only had one go back to the racquet club to pay the big fees and that is because money isn't an option for this guy; he has plenty or so I think.

Here is Columbus, OH, I think $10 is very cheap. Most places charge close to $20-25 for labor. My turnaround is within 24hours. Most of the other places are at least 48 hours. If I have nothing going on, I get it done within an hour or two.

bcart1991
07-20-2011, 11:01 AM
I don't string much for other people (other than close friends), and I usually charge them $10-15 for stringing.

retlod
07-20-2011, 11:10 AM
One of the local guys here charges $12-$15. He's USRSA certified and strings each year at the Aussie and US Opens.

pvaudio
07-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Exactly: $30 is way over-priced. But for the service PV described, I expect the average to be closer to $20, if it's a business providing that service.He always strung on the side as a hobby, he's actually an engineer by trade (which is how I know him), but would string at the tennis tournament in Indy during the summer. In other words, it's just his #1 hobby...and it doesn't hurt that he's easily a 5.0 player haha :)

mixedmedia
07-20-2011, 01:59 PM
I wish I could find a similar person around here... But I'm pretty happy with my coach's $12 job (especially for the price).

dingo
07-20-2011, 02:59 PM
I used to pay US$15 labor.

Then I got a used pull&lock machine for US$200. I could probably string a racket now for under 30 min if my life depended on it. Generally it takes about an 1 hour, depending how much I'm stringing and how much I'm watching a tennis match. I never look back to the days of stringing elsewhere because it takes me roughly the same amount of time with all the driving and standing in line sometimes, then driving to pick it up and possibly again standing in line. Plus, I have it strung that very moment and not some days later.

tomp
07-21-2011, 04:43 PM
My local 'pro-shop' charges 15 ($25) labour, and 30 ($49) for RPM Blast and around 25 ($41) for PSGD, basically a massive rip-off.

max pl
07-21-2011, 07:00 PM
My local 'pro-shop' charges 15 ($25) labour, and 30 ($49) for RPM Blast and around 25 ($41) for PSGD, basically a massive rip-off.

yeh i ended up paying $40 for rpm blast+stringing which comes to $22 for the labour if i use TW's pricing for the strings.

i wanted it done that day so i cant complain about pricing, but i'll definitely look elsewhere next time; can likely get it done for $10 less.

pvaudio
07-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Curiously, my sister just took a customer who used to get his sticks strung with RPM Blast for 40 bucks a piece.

max pl
07-21-2011, 07:08 PM
is your sister about 65 to 70 years old? lol

drakulie
07-21-2011, 07:39 PM
I charge $10 for stringing if they bring their own string.

Service includes racquet cleaned, stencil, and bagged.

The local pro shops (one of which I work at) charge $18.

mikeler
07-22-2011, 06:34 AM
I charge $10 for stringing if they bring their own string.

Service includes racquet cleaned, stencil, and bagged.

The local pro shops (one of which I work at) charge $18.

Ten bucks is a steal for someone who has strung at an ATP event!

Backhanded Compliment
07-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Local proshop charges 20 and does the same job as the guy who charges me 12... I pay 12... he's retired, loves tennis and gets it done in a day.

Spiel
07-24-2011, 09:19 AM
My local USRSA certified stringer who has strung at some atp event charge me $6 for stringing if i bring my own string there.
If I buy string there, fee drop to zero because buy one, string job free is a common rule in my country.

And most other shop is even cheaper. (usually $4.5)

ps. Also, we have a very cheap courier service. one way courier service which guarantee next business day arrival cost only $2-3 for a racquet size/weight object.
Not just that. If you send an item before 2PM and destination is located within 150km radius, your item will get delivered SAME DAY!
Plus, in my country, half of whole population (which is 20-25m) lives in 150km radius.

$10-20 bucks is a typical motorcycle courier fee range. If you call them, they will show up in 10-20 minutes to collect the item.
and item will get delivered mostly in an hour or two. (again, half of us lives in 150km radius)