PDA

View Full Version : 1ST day with an extended 03 Tour

drak
07-02-2005, 01:38 PM
I like the 03 Tour but feel it lacks in the serve dept. and for "feeling" the head on my volleys - I love it on groundstrokes. So this morning I decided to extend it to 27.25 - a length I often like as 27.5 is just too long.

-It is very easy to do this, simply fill in the end of the butt cap with a light material - I used cardboard to match the inside of the butt cap shape. Then I just place the butt cap back on the handle, make sure it fits well, and reattach the staples (measuring length before I do so) and I now have a 27.25 inch length 03 Tour. It adds almost no weight but the balance point is now at about 12 7/8, maiking the frame 6 pts head light basis a 27.25 length.

-Initial comments: Definitely served better, I had more pop and consistency, volleys felt better as well. Little change on groundies. So far I like it and will test it more this coming week.

-By the way I if I like this set up I will add some epoxy and make it more permanent, but the "temporary" fix works fine in this experimental stage and can easily be switched back to normal.

-I am always amazed how just a 1/4 inch length difference can make a significant difference on how certain shots "feel" and what the results are, sometimes it can be better or worse depending upon what one is doing.

-I'll keep you posted next week as I hit more.

Drak the "tinkerer"

antontd
07-02-2005, 02:21 PM
no offence but I wouldn't depend on that extension.

Speedy_tennis
07-02-2005, 04:38 PM
i do it with this method, i emailed in spanish for a player in this forum, to explicate this method

drak
07-02-2005, 06:11 PM
1/4 inch addition, if done correctly is usually no problem if the butt cap is properly secured. I have done this several times, sometimes the pallets can be "weaker" depending upon frame and manufacturer, but the structure of the Prince is no problemo at all.

Drak

tedmeister
07-02-2005, 09:46 PM
It adds almost no weight but the balance point is now at about 12 7/8, maiking the frame 6 pts head light basis a 27.25 length.

Drak the "tinkerer"
Hey drak, what's the balance on your O3 originally? Did you use a balance board to figure this out? Did the added length make it even more flexy than it already is? I find this model a bit too soft and stubby for my liking. Extending it will cure the latter but would probably make it flex a bit too much. Let me know if you still like it after a few more sessions.