PDA

View Full Version : String set-ups for the POG (Prince Original Graphite) OS (Oversize)

mateencleaves
07-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Iím curious to hear about the string set-ups of POG OS users. What strings are you using Ė poly, hybrid, synthetic gut, nat gut, etc.? What string brands have you liked the best? What string gauge have you found to work best for you? And, what about tension? Do you go low as is the trend or do you keep it tight to control some of the trampoline effect of the OS head?

Currently, Iím using a full bed of Solinco Tour Bite 17 at 58 lbs. I find that I can play a full bed of poly or co-poly in this frame without wrist/elbow/shoulder problems, whereas with most other rackets I canít do this. I find the Tour Bite to work pretty well in this stick, but Iím always open to other string set-ups. Thanks in advance.

Avadia
07-19-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm using VS Nat Gut 17 mains with RPM Blast 17 crosses, which gives a nice combination of spin, control, and feel, but the RPM gives out long before the gut. I am going to experiment with some different polys as a hybrid with the gut in this racquet.

mateencleaves
07-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Hey Avadia,

Thanks for your post. I've thought about a nat gut main/poly cross set-up in this racket but haven't tried it yet. What tension do you have the mains and crosses at?

I was worried that nat gut in this racket might be too powerful, but you haven't found that to be the case?

Weiss Cannon Silverstring was an effective poly cross that I've used with nat gut mains in other rackets. It's smooth and round so it doesn't cut into the gut too much and it holds tension pretty well.

mateencleaves
07-20-2011, 07:46 AM
C'mon POGers! Help a fellow old schooler out!

bcart1991
07-20-2011, 08:01 AM
I've always strung syngut and multis in the top half of the range with good results. Never tried poly in that frame, it doesn't need more power.

jjs891
07-20-2011, 08:45 AM
I haven't played with my POG os lately but when I did, I liked it best with full multi like NRG2 at ~63 lbs.

Avadia
07-20-2011, 08:53 AM
What tension do you have the mains and crosses at?

I have the gut mains at 65 lbs and the poly crosses at 62 lbs. I just got this racquet a couple of weeks ago and had it strung that way from TW. I still have some playing around to do before I get it right, and I am actually going back and forth between this one, the POG mid, and the Dunlop AG 200 Tour to figure out what I like the best. I think this may be a better racquet for singles, while the mid may be better for me for doubles.

I was worried that nat gut in this racket might be too powerful, but you haven't found that to be the case?

Jury is still out on that one. It has been great for my serve. My first serve is like a cannon (a very accurate cannon) with this setup. But I am still getting used to the power on volleys, especially on hard-hit balls. Groundstrokes seem fine, because I get plenty of spin to control the ball. I hit deep topspin shots and they tend to stay in with this setup. I can also hit a short angle shot no problem. As I said, the biggest adjustment is in volleying. I play a lot of doubles, so that is important.

Weiss Cannon Silverstring was an effective poly cross that I've used with nat gut mains in other rackets. It's smooth and round so it doesn't cut into the gut too much and it holds tension pretty well.

From what I have heard about Silverstring, that may be a very nice setup for this racquet. I highly recommend you try it. I am going to experiment myself with different hybrids, and that's one of the ones I was considering. I actually have a pack of Silverstring on the way for just that purpose. My arm can't handle a full bed of poly, and I love the feel, spin, and power I get with the gut mains and a good poly cross. Definitely my preferred setup.

Never tried poly in that frame, it doesn't need more power.

Not sure I understand your point here. Most polys provide more control than power, especially when compared to most multis.

mateencleaves
07-20-2011, 09:31 AM
I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in about poly in this racket. I think it plays great with poly. The arm friendliness of the racket really counteracts the harshness of the poly for me. It's about the only racket I can use a full poly set up. For me, the poly really tames some of the inherent power and trampoline effect of the frame. It produces a lot of spin in the racket, maybe too much at times. Sometimes the racket doesn't feel like it has enough pop, though, with full poly. Although I'm generally happy with my set up (Tour Bite 17), I'm always searching for different ways to manipulate the string set up to get what I want out of it. Right now, I'm generally looking for a tad more pop, without sacrificing much control.

One of the things I've heard mentioned about the POG OS is that it plays best with the strings it was "designed" to be played with: synthetic gut. What do y'all think of this? Any validity to it? What is it about this racket and its specs that would suggest that synthetic gut is a good match (and that perhaps, alternatively, poly is not a good match)?

vubenjamin
07-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Hello I use the pog mid but my string set up is a full bed of poly: signum pro hextreme strung at 52. It feels amazing to hit with those on. Another good option is the blue gear.

jmjmkim
07-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Stupid me. When I strung my POG Mids, I was thinking that since my POG OS recommend tension was 70-80 lbs. , I figured going 60 on the mid with full poly would be low enough. Well, I should have read the writings on the racket because the POG Mid is 55 (+/-) 5lbs.

It is pretty tight, but Lord and Behold, it still feels really good and lots of power and control.

It must be the racket. Anything on this racket works well.

bcart1991
07-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Not sure I understand your point here. Most polys provide more control than power, especially when compared to most multis.

Reading it again, I'm not sure I understand my point either. I guess I was thinking that I wouldn't like the stiff feel of poly string in that frame.

jjs891
07-20-2011, 11:38 AM
I think POG mids play quite differently from POG os. I like poly in my mids, seems to enhance spin even more. I haven't experimented much with strings in os so maybe others can give better comments.

Shangri La
07-21-2011, 12:26 PM
I have one POG OS strung with VS gut at 63/61 and one with Klip legend uncoated gut/ISOspeed Control @ 58/61. I feel I can go 2 lbs lower on the hybrid job next time but do keep in mind that this particular POG is lighter. Even with the big head and such an open string pattern, the hybrid strings hardly move.

Hey Avadia,

Thanks for your post. I've thought about a nat gut main/poly cross set-up in this racket but haven't tried it yet. What tension do you have the mains and crosses at?

Havent tried in the POG but the silverstring has been my go-to poly cross in a gut/poly hybrid. The best part is it holds tension well and doesnt die as fast so I dont have to cut the strings as often.

One of the things I've heard mentioned about the POG OS is that it plays best with the strings it was "designed" to be played with: synthetic gut. What do y'all think of this? Any validity to it? What is it about this racket and its specs that would suggest that synthetic gut is a good match (and that perhaps, alternatively, poly is not a good match)?

I've tried PSGD in the POG too. Maybe I'm just spoiled by gut but I think the racquet plays best with old school feeling strings and nothing beats gut in that regard. Never tried full poly as I feel the racquet plays crisp/raw enough already (current TW tour version).