PDA

View Full Version : My first experience with a PT57A!

cnr1guy
07-19-2011, 12:51 PM
So a couple of weeks back my buddy and I were digging through his tennis bag as he's getting ready to sell a ton of his gear and I found a Youtek Prestige or what looked to be a Youtek Prestige unstrung with a Finest Calfskin grip. I picked it up and noticed there there were no throat specs on it, only the code PT57A. I asked where he got it from and said his coach gave it to him and I could tell he hadn't a clue about this frame. So I explained it to him and even brought him to the board and showed him how much these frames are talked about he simply said that's nice.

So I offered him $150 for it and he just said. "nah, take it. You can have it." :shock: So I finally talked him into taking $50 from me for it.

So for the past couple of week I've been hitting with this thing of beauty and I must say it certainly is a great racquet. It cuts through the air/ ball like a hot knife in butter. Nice and soft on the arm. I must say- she is a treat. I've played 4 matches with it- won all in straigh sets. I wouln't say the game has raised my level of play but it certainly has given me a cool guy feel on the court.

Started with an all poly set-up then tried an all gut set-up followed by a full bed of X1 and now I'm doing the poly/gut hybrid and am enjoying it.

I don't plan to play any more matches with it- probably going to put it away for some hitting sessions and that's about it.

So now after having had the chance to hit for a full week with this thing I've come to the conclusion that yes they are nice.... $300+ nice... not so much! A frame is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and while I do like this frame, there is no chance in the world I am going to fork out $300+ for a back-up or extra frame when my current APDGTs or any other retail sticks work just fine. I was a 4.0 player before I got this racquet and I'm a 4.0 player with it and I'll be a 4.0 player without it. Bottom line, great frame... yes. Game changing frame... no. Anyone who forks out $300+ for this frame needs their head examined. No racquet is worth that much money! I'd take the $300+ that you bone heads are spending and go get coach or a mental exam!

Gee
07-19-2011, 01:52 PM
So now after having had the chance to hit for a full week with this thing I've come to the conclusion that yes they are nice.... $300+ nice... not so much! A frame is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and while I do like this frame, there is no chance in the world I am going to fork out $300+ for a back-up or extra frame when my current APDGTs or any other retail sticks work just fine. I was a 4.0 player before I got this racquet and I'm a 4.0 player with it and I'll be a 4.0 player without it. Bottom line, great frame... yes. Game changing frame... no. Anyone who forks out $300+ for this frame needs their head examined. No racquet is worth that much money! I'd take the $300+ that you bone heads are spending and go get coach or a mental exam!

I love these phrase. Very wise words!

klementine
07-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences and calling about 5% of board members 'bone-heads'. :smile:

Seriously, would I ever buy 1 frame for $300+... no.... would I frown upon anyone who does.... certainly not. I have a friend who's obsessed with cars and is in the midst of creating a 'fummins'... it's a Ford Truck(f-250 in this case) w/ a Dodge Cummins diesel engine dropped in it. The point.... to say you have a 'fummins'. The cost... if you do it yourself ... $4,000+.

There are plenty of more expensive hobbies that an individual could partake in... and ones that aren't so great for your health either.

flashfire276
07-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Great buy! I say you should sell it for a nice profit and stock up on some retail frames with that money! Haha!
But I can't agree more. No stick is worth over $200. I mean, yeah, pros need their gear to meet their exact specs, and I totally understand! But for us that don't play tennis as a career, do we REALLY need pro stock racquets? There's a giant variety of retail frames available, and I'm pretty sure at least 2 can meet your criteria. Sure, pro stocks have that classic feel, but is it worth the hefty price tag?

Dave M
07-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Many say the 57a is based upon a long since discontinued retail frame and if that's what you like playing with then I suppose you'll pay up to what you can affoard to get a nearly new one.I currently have pro stock frames in my bag and i like them as the pro had them, they didn't cost me more than a new retail one so you gotta balance the right racquet for you. HOwever what you say about spending bigger on lessons than frames is true!

TaihtDuhShaat
07-19-2011, 02:20 PM
A good argument for buying pro stock frames is the starting swingweight on them is ~290 SW. Starting so low, the racquet becomes more polarized than any retail frame could be once brought up to the player's preferred SW. If you know where you like added mass in the hoop, then you can concentrate it on these types of frames, giving more extreme results.

cnr1guy
07-19-2011, 07:25 PM
A good argument for buying pro stock frames is the starting swingweight on them is ~290 SW. Starting so low, the racquet becomes more polarized than any retail frame could be once brought up to the player's preferred SW. If you know where you like added mass in the hoop, then you can concentrate it on these types of frames, giving more extreme results.

Just seems like a lot of $$$ to spend in order to customize.

Power Player
07-19-2011, 07:49 PM
And plus a ton of pros have lead at 3 and 9 and are not all using polarized sticks like Nadal.

I had an enjoyable run with a TGK, but it wasn't the greatest racquet of all time. I prefer my ProKennex 7G more to be honest.

And personally if one wants the feel of a classic pro stock, they could just go buy a Redondo.

TaihtDuhShaat
07-19-2011, 10:27 PM
And plus a ton of pros have lead at 3 and 9 and are not all using polarized sticks like Nadal.

These pro stocks have less mass in the throat and hoop yoke. Adding lead to only 3/9 of these frames will still yield a more polarized setup than anything retail besides a junior frame. It leads to a more even string bed response than what is on the consumer market. If there was an easy way to lengthen a 26" junior frame to 27", that would work just as well.

roundiesee
07-19-2011, 11:47 PM
OP- do you have pictures of this lovely racket? Great story BTW! :)

Motherwasp
07-20-2011, 01:45 AM
I think it's a nice racket, but it has gained a somewhat mythical status on these boards.

____
07-20-2011, 03:19 AM
To me it's way too flexy.I couldn't get a groove on it.

I like a TGK version better so I ended up selling them.

cmendez79
07-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Hi,

By any chance can you get the Weight (strung or unstrung), balance and SW.

Thanks!!!

Lavs
07-20-2011, 09:12 AM
First of all, are you guys sure that retail and pro stock frames are made in the same factory and with the same materials? Me not at all.
And socond point which was already mentioned here - SW is starting from 290. I bought pro stock Dunlop 4D300T with SW=295g. And I can mod it due to my own preference. Is that possible with retail sticks?.. eg Dunlop 4D300Y in retail stock has SW = 318. I am really tempted to try it out to feel (or not to feel ^^) the difference.

Lavs
07-20-2011, 09:16 AM
... and yes, third point - stiffness.
anybody tell please me WHY pro stock racket is flexier than its retail brother?

Power Player
07-20-2011, 09:16 AM
The Dunlop 300T is a common pro mold and one of the closest retail sticks you can buy that is like getting a Pro Stock.

It has a very low SW and begs for lead tape.

The Pro Mold is not always flexier. It is simply a different layup that flexes in a different place than retail. My TGK Prestige flexed more in the hoop than the retail.

Lavs
07-20-2011, 09:24 AM
The Dunlop 300T is a common pro mold and one of the closest retail sticks you can buy that is like getting a Pro Stock.

It has a very low SW and begs for lead tape.

The Pro Mold is not always flexier. It is simply a different layup that flexes in a different place than retail. My TGK Prestige flexed more in the hoop than the retail.
Can't disagree with the first part. Perhaps I got mine with Melzer specs. Again, I am to try 300T retail to prove it.
But what about quality of Pro/Retail sticks? Are they made with absolutely the same material and in the same manufacture chain?