PDA

View Full Version : POG OS string set-up?

babar
07-19-2011, 12:39 PM
I've been using the POG OS for a few weeks now with PSG 16g at 57lbs. I really like the sweet spot size and the stability offered by the racquet.

I want to try and make the racquet more powerful and gain some extra ball bite off the string bed. Which would you suggest to help me accomplish my objective here:

1) full co-poly in a thinner gauge at a lower tension?

2) poly/multi hybrid in a thinner guage at a lower tension?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

fortun8son
07-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Gosen OGSM17 may fit the bill without jumping into the poly quicksand.
I'm assuming PSG means Prince Synthetic Gut. Original or Duraflex?
You might also consider something like TF Multifeel.
Many older frame designs seem to like older string designs.

jjs891
07-20-2011, 07:39 AM
Gosen OGSM17 may fit the bill without jumping into the poly quicksand.
I'm assuming PSG means Prince Synthetic Gut. Original or Duraflex?
You might also consider something like TF Multifeel.
Many older frame designs seem to like older string designs.

I agree with this in that POG OS seems to play better with syn gut or multi than poly though I haven't played much with os lately. I like multi/poly hybrid in my POG mids a lot.

Avadia
07-20-2011, 08:07 AM
More power and extra ball bite? If you can afford it, go with nat gut mains and poly crosses. I just got a POG OS strung with gut mains and RPM crosses. I get plenty of power, but some great ball bite, spin, and control as well. I can hit huge flat first serves, but also get plenty of bite for loopy topspin groundstrokes and short angle crosses.

babar
07-21-2011, 04:57 AM
Avadia, why the poly on the crosses? Does that help with power?

Shangri La
07-21-2011, 10:07 AM

Generally speaking, poly in the crosses helps reduce the power and (depending on the mains) add some more spin.

bluetrain4
07-21-2011, 10:36 AM
I still have a POG OS that I use for fun. With that enourmous string bed with a very open string pattern, I always use 16g string so the stringbed isn't as lively, as where I'd use 17g in other frames. My favorite set up is Ashaway Kevlar at around 64 lbs and some basic syn gut (Gosen, Prince Syn Gut Duraflex) at around 66 lbs. Sounds like it would be an arm killer, but I've never had a problem.

Really don't like poly in the POG OS, even in a hybrid.

Avadia
07-21-2011, 11:33 AM

The natural gut mains provide the power. The poly crosses provide extra ball bite, and allows the mains to move freely on ball contact and then snap back into place, which helps increase spin. The choice of poly and the string tension can influence power, too. Overall polys provide more control. But some are more powerful than others. And generally stringing at a lower tension will provide a little more power. Overall, when done right, this setup gives you controlled power.

babar
07-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Ok, so I went with RPM Blast 18g strung at 55lbs in the POG OS based on a recommendation from the stringer. It worked very well. I got great ball pocket and spin. Power was still very controllable. The "feel" of the stringbed was springy, but not mushy. I think the stringbed bite helped keep the springy feel in-check as well. I will try a hybrid next time around to see how it works. Thanks to all for the advice on this thread.

Pwned
07-25-2011, 08:48 AM
POG OS and more power?!