PDA

View Full Version : Tennis elbow and strings..

vivekmari
07-19-2011, 12:47 PM
i recently strung my prestige mp with gosen poly at 60lbs.. .. after a week of play i started having tennis elbow.. i thought the reason for the elbow pain would be tension, so went to nearest racquet shop to get it strung at 55 lbs.. the stringer tell me that the elbow pain could be the strings and not the tension.. so he advised me to get the racquet strung using synthetic..
is it true.. if u have a short swing, poly is not good.. stick with synthetic..

fuzz nation
07-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Absolutely stay away from any poly, co-poly, or kevlar strings, even in a hybrid layout where the other half of the string job is something softer.

While synthetic gut will typically play softer than the poly's, thinner syn. gut will play slightly softer than a thicker option. That means that the 17 gauge version of let's say Prince Synthetic Gut will be a little softer than the same stuff in 16 gauge. I'm just talking about subtle shades of grey, though.

I prefer thinner syn. gut for its softness and performance, but I don't have elbow issues. If I was in your shoes, I'd switch into a decent multifiber and avoid higher tensions. If you can afford it, natural gut has the very best reputation for arm-friendliness (but multi's are good, too). Given their inherent extra softness, it's probably smarter to use 16 instead of 17 gauge options with natural gut or the multi's, just so that you get some extra durability out of them.

flashfire276
07-19-2011, 01:00 PM
It's most likely both. Poly at high tension is just a one way ticket to TE.

Fuzz Nation is spot on with his post. Stay away from any polys, or even some low-quality synthetics. For now, get a softer synthetic, or multi if you can afford it. I recommend using Babolat N.Vy. It's one of the softest and nicest feeling synthetics I ever used.

pvaudio
07-19-2011, 01:46 PM
The stringer is right. While the tension is very important, the string material is also critical. Stringing natural gut at any tension won't likely give you TE while poly at any tension can. It's due to your stroke and whether or not it's able to capitalize on polyester. If not, your arm pays the price.

vivekmari
07-19-2011, 08:34 PM
thank you guys.. for the wonderful suggestion.

dancraig
07-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Lose the poly.

fortun8son
07-19-2011, 09:05 PM
If you are not a chronic string breaker, you have no need for poly.
Especially Gosen, which is quite harsh. At 60lbs to boot!
No wonder your arm hurts!

Overheadsmash
07-20-2011, 12:22 AM
I love the cheaper babolat tonic gut 15 or 16 in the mains with a soft poly like gamma zo tour rough in the crosses. Plenty of ball bite, great control, and arm feels great. Can hit for hours with that combo.

I remember once getting my stick strung with some of that silver stuff that you can tow a car with (Signum Pro maybe?). Anyway, that stuff was harsh and made my whole arm hurt. I couldn't stand it.