PDA

View Full Version : My first date with Yonex RDX 500 Mid

samster
07-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Hi everybody, I am new at the tennis forum. I stopped playing tennis 6 years ago (when I was 23) and came back to it couple months ago. The comeback has been rough... For the past couple months, I had been playing with a Prince TT Rebel, bought it when they had a special at Eracket for sixty a piece. The TT Rebel is a pretty good racquet but I had problems volleying with it.

Today is my first time out with the RDX 500 mid strung with Prince Synthetic Gut 17 at 57 lbs. From out of the box, I thought this racquet was well constructed and felt solid. The racquet is stable without much vibration even on mis-hits (I had quite a few today!) This racquet swings easily with a low swing weight and is a good racquet for returning serves. It has that buttery feel that many people have talked about and I certainly experienced it today. A great racquet for volleying as well. Awesome on overheads. Serving I was happy with it first time out, certainly can generate good headspeed and power the flat serve if I can ever get my toss straight. Cannot comment on kick or spin serves right now as my ball toss problem continues :( .

I wondered if the Midplus would be a better fit for me but I think for now I will work on my mechanics and the ball toss more. The sweetspot is surprisingly large for a mid-size frame. I would say the sweetspot is about the same in this racquet or slightly larger than my TT Rebel.

The prince synthetics are okay for now but I plan to put some yonex strings in them when the prince synthetics are worn down.

Redflea
07-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Try X-1 Biphase 17 or 18...best string I've had in this racquet, better than NXT Tour, Yonex Pro Spin, Gamma Live Wire Pro, etc. I string it at 58.

BreakPoint
07-02-2005, 09:56 PM
I'd say stick with the Mid. It's much better than the Midplus. As you've already noted, the Mid already has a very large sweetspot, so you won't gain much going to the MP, but you'll miss the sweet, buttery feel and the excellent control of the Mid.

samster
07-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks you all for the feedback. I will stick with the mid and put some X1 Biphase to trial in a few weeks. I appreciate it. :D