PDA

View Full Version : plants vs. zombies

dozu
07-19-2011, 02:24 PM
plants as in the garden variety synguts, multis etc.
zombies as in the 'dead after 3 hours' but 'hey, pros all use them' stuff.

I think the zombie madness is out of control. over the past few years I have regularly hit with 2 dozen or so strong 4.0 to 5.0 level guys, out of which only 2 I'd consider can get benefit out of using polys... the rest of them, either won't see any benefit, or will only see minimal benefit that doesn't justify for the sharp performance drop off these zombies have.

so 2 out of 24, call it 10%, then consider the guys I hit with are among the top 5% (conservative guess) of the rec crowd, that means only 0.5% of the rec crowd can really benefit...

yet you look at this place, half the threads are related to zombies, with a few others complaining about elbow pains caused by zombies.

this is insane.

pvaudio
07-19-2011, 02:41 PM
I've been harping on about this for so long now. Professional and upper level players don't end up with TE not because they play through the pain, but because it just doesn't happen. The majority of people I string for use poly, and yet I make it a point to tell anyone over 30 that unless they're sure that they generate a sufficient stroke, they'll likely end up with pain. Most either object to me essentially calling them old, or assume that I'm not talking about them. And yet, when I see someone playing with poly who's wearing an elbow brace, they are almost always braking somewhere during their swing. In running, braking is any movement or otherwise that slows you down when you otherwise wouldn't have. That includes excessive or insufficent arm swing, poor stride technique, bad posture, etc. It results in you becoming tired quickly and slowing you down. In tennis I consider braking to be any movement which changes a stroke from what it should naturally do. The most common is an incomplete followthrough. Watch players with TE who play poly and see how many actively stop their followthrough instead of letting the racquet do the work for them.

Jaewonnie
07-19-2011, 02:46 PM
I came in here thinking you were talking about the iPhone app :/

fortun8son
07-20-2011, 12:01 AM
My vote is with the plants.
Day of the Triffids and Body Snatchers beats Night of the Living Dead.
And Ents beat Orcs!
Seriously, I agree that most people who use polys...shouldn't.

danno123
07-20-2011, 07:47 AM
Dozu,
I know what you mean. I don't hit with a tremendous amount of topspin, but even I notice a difference with poly. Shots that would have been a few inches out with a garden variety string drop in by a few inches when I play with a poly. My slice serve spins a little more with poly than it does with other strings. If I was playing for money or playing in tournaments, there's no question that I'd use poly.

But I'm not playing tennis for money. I play for fun and to stay in shape and I notice that my arm starts to hurt a little when I play with poly. I'm also a tremendous cheapskate and it pains me to cut strings out after only a few hours of hitting. I played with a friend this morning and I had a choice between a racket strung with Tour Bite that I use when playing matches and a racket strung with global gut that I use when fooling around and practicing. I picked the global because my arm was a little sore from hitting the past couple of days with poly. I'm switching back to softer strings. But I'll probably keep a couple of sets of poly around if I'm playing a match I really want to win.

jjs891
07-20-2011, 11:45 AM
I play with hybrid, multi main/poly cross and really like the comfort feel and playability. No arm problems. Durability sucks however.

mikeler
07-20-2011, 12:13 PM
My whole game is based on spin at the 4.5 level. Poly benefits my game but I would agree that I'm in the minority of casual players who can really benefit from it.

MuscleWeave
07-20-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm a rec player who you probably would say shouldn't be using poly. I like soft co-poly (Cyber Blue 1.20) because I find that it has a slower playability response (longer time pocketing) than multis and syn gut. I tried a gut/multi hybrid and found it to be too soft for me. I tried gut/co-poly and I really liked it, but the gut is out of my price range. Right now I'm fairly satisfied with Cyberflash 1.20 / Multifeel 1.30.

DavidGarcia
07-20-2011, 03:12 PM
I dont get some people on this forum.
Whoever like multis then let them play multis but whoever like polys please let us play with our poly strings.
Why keep trying to convince yourself that multis are better polys?

MuscleWeave
07-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Whoever like multis then let them play multis but whoever like polys please let us play with our poly strings.

People are concerned that if you don't have a full stroke with fast racquet head speed you are more likely to be harming your arm with polys. As club stringers, pro shop stringers and independents, they get the requests for Big Banger and the like, and they hear the subsequent bad news as well.

As for me, I'm not married to any one string and I'll move on as soon as a string I'm using is causing me pain.

yonexpurestorm
07-20-2011, 05:09 PM
i use poly because i use a ton of top spin and break every multi in 2 matches. just popped two frames of polys in my last match. but they had been used for a few matches already. you just cant get the spin like poly from anything else other than gut.

Netzroller
07-20-2011, 05:10 PM
People are concerned that if you don't have a full stroke with fast racquet head speed you are more likely to be harming your arm with polys. As club stringers, pro shop stringers and independents, they get the requests for Big Banger and the like, and they hear the subsequent bad news as well.
If polys don't hurt your arm, is there any other important reason not to use them?

Ok, this is going to sound insane to some of you - but maybe somone can explain me this:
I have been using full poly for quite a while (recently topspin cyberflash), and I have never had any arm problems. I play an Aerogel 200 and string at very low tension (20/21kg). However, I hardly ever break strings. Moreover, I don't seem to feel when strings are dead or for some reason it doesn't bother me. I actually like them better after a few hours played as opposed to new. Given I currently just play around 2 times a week I end up using a string for a long time (the last one I used was on for ~3 month:shock:)
Well, if I'm that insensitive to strings I am apparently a bad player. But if I am a bad player, shoudn't I get arm problems from polys? And I am by no means very muscular and big.

I'm just always confused about these people talking how polys are bad and can't be used more than like 3 hours... and I play them >30 hours and feel fine!?

klementine79
07-20-2011, 05:40 PM
O.k.

So what about strings such as M2 and Prince Recoil.... are they venus fly traps?

I really enjoyed M2 pro... similar to a slightly stiffer prince recoil.

tampa_edski
07-20-2011, 05:45 PM

It's like trying to decide the best song/painting/novel of all time...

BTW, Netzroller's description is almost me, except I might be considered big, if only for weight... :shock:

fuzz nation
07-20-2011, 07:02 PM
If polys don't hurt your arm, is there any other important reason not to use them?

That's the BIG if, though... Nobody knows whether they're at risk for problems brought on by using the polys until after they use them and get the bad news. I've even seen young sluggers bound for small college programs (very strong players) blow up their arms after switching to these strings.

It's a gamble and unfortunately a lot of our peers have sustained serious injuries from using these unresilient strings, even with what we'd typically consider to be "arm-friendly" gear. I think it's completely cool that you're doing well with your setup, but I take a little bit of exception to stringers that sell this stuff to anyone who wants it. Even though it makes a difference for players who are world class, it can also incapacitate others who don't have the developed technique and swing speed that make this string type useful for the real killers.

Since the gamble of trying these strings can sideline a player for months if the experiment goes bad, my recommendation for even the younger players I know is to try the softer options before going near the poly.

fortun8son
07-21-2011, 01:39 AM
The posters on this forum are quite well informed and aware of the advantages and risks of using poly.
I'm more concerned about the duffers who go out and buy a 12oz, 95in racquet and string it up with RPM@60 because "that's what the Pros use" and "I've Always strung at that tension!"
There's been a lot of hype about poly ,especially with Wilson pushing their Luxilon line.
The trend worries me.
I'm also getting a lot of requests for TE bands!
It also bothers me when 'teaching pros' recommend this to their students because "That's what I use!"

MuscleWeave
07-21-2011, 04:06 PM

Ok, this is going to sound insane to some of you - but maybe somone can explain me this:
I have been using full poly for quite a while (recently topspin cyberflash), and I have never had any arm problems. I play an Aerogel 200 and string at very low tension (20/21kg). However, I hardly ever break strings. Moreover, I don't seem to feel when strings are dead or for some reason it doesn't bother me. I actually like them better after a few hours played as opposed to new. Given I currently just play around 2 times a week I end up using a string for a long time (the last one I used was on for ~3 month:shock:)
Well, if I'm that insensitive to strings I am apparently a bad player. But if I am a bad player, shoudn't I get arm problems from polys? And I am by no means very muscular and big.

I'm just always confused about these people talking how polys are bad and can't be used more than like 3 hours... and I play them >30 hours and feel fine!?

Another reason to not use polys is that they wear out quickly, and may not be cost effective. I read on this board that some polys can do damage before it can be felt. This may apply to you and to many of us. Boy, I'm talking myself out of using polys!