PDA

View Full Version : How much stiffer/harsher is Luxilon Alu Power than Babolat Pro Hurricane 17?

etd
07-19-2011, 03:04 PM
I have a Head Microgel Instinct strung with a Babolat Conquest 16g Main / Babolat Pro Hurricane 17 Cross hybrid. Both the mains and crosses were strung at 57 pounds. This combo played really well for me in this racquet.

It's now time for me to restring this racquet. I have a pack of Wilson HollowCore 16 to put in the mains (back from the free string promotion from 3 years ago) and a pack of Luxilon Alu Power that I picked up on clearance for $6 from a tennis store that discontinued carrying this string.

I plan to string my Head Microgel Instinct with this hybrid with the Wilson HollowCore 16 on the mains and the Luxilon Alu Power in the crosses.

This will be my first time using Luxilon Alu Power. Is this string significantly stiffer / harsher than Babolat Pro Hurricane 17? Should I be dropping the cross tension 10% from the 57 pound cross tension I was using for Babolat Pro Hurricane 17?

Thanks for your help!

Tennis Is Magic
07-19-2011, 03:13 PM
I have a Head Microgel Instinct strung with a Babolat Conquest 16g Main / Babolat Pro Hurricane 17 Cross hybrid. Both the mains and crosses were strung at 57 pounds. This combo played really well for me in this racquet.

It's now time for me to restring this racquet. I have a pack of Wilson HollowCore 16 to put in the mains (back from the free string promotion from 3 years ago) and a pack of Luxilon Alu Power that I picked up on clearance for $6 from a tennis store that discontinued carrying this string.

I plan to string my Head Microgel Instinct with this hybrid with the Wilson HollowCore 16 on the mains and the Luxilon Alu Power in the crosses.

This will be my first time using Luxilon Alu Power. Is this string significantly stiffer / harsher than Babolat Pro Hurricane 17? Should I be dropping the cross tension 10% from the 57 pound cross tension I was using for Babolat Pro Hurricane 17?

Thanks for your help!

There is a noticeable difference between the two. I think you'll find Alu Power is a very solid feeling string. Alu Power Rough still has that solidity to it, but it's a little softer, and has more control IMO. I would drop the tension going from Pro Hurricane to Alu power 4 pounds or so to get started. On your next hybrid job, you can go from there, but there is a difference in how the two feel for sure.