PDA

View Full Version : MCS Tension Question - Need help for elbow pain

The Djoker
07-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Hi all. I have developed some pretty bad elbow pain since starting to play with a BB ALU/Head FXP hybrid at 58/60lbs in my MG Prestige Mid. I really liked the feel of this hybrid, but I cut it out so I would not be tempted to play with it! I ordered some Mantis Comfort Synthetic from TW and it should arrive tomorrow. I have read that this string is extremely soft, and i would rather not spend money on natural gut.

I know MCS is reported to be very low powered. Does anyone who has experience with this string have a recommendation for tension for a full bed of MCS that may most closely match the power level or mt ALU/FXP hybrid? Thanks in advance!

fortun8son
07-19-2011, 05:50 PM
MCS is low-powered FOR A MULTI.
You should have no worries coming from ALU/FXP@58/60!
You may want to Raise the tension! :)

The Djoker
07-19-2011, 06:04 PM
MCS is low-powered FOR A MULTI.
You should have no worries coming from ALU/FXP@58/60!
You may want to Raise the tension! :)

Okay, that's good to hear. All I hear about is how low powered and soft it is. Soft is good, but the low power talk got me concerned. I think I'll go 60, maybe 62. Probably go 60 and see how I like it. Thanks!

fortun8son
07-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Just remember that Multis are not durable and there are friendlier hybrids than what you were using.

The Djoker
07-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Just remember that Multis are not durable and there are friendlier hybrids than what you were using.

Yeah, I plan on going to a BHBR/Forten Sweet Hybrid eventually (I have used it and really liked it in this racquet). I just want to play it safe now...I only have a few league matches left in the season and then I can take a break. i want to do as little damage as possible until then :)

mikeler
07-20-2011, 06:46 AM
Since you are using a dense string pattern, I think 62 is a good starting point. Don't be afraid to use MCS as a cross string in a poly hybrid either. It actually lasts a fairly long time. Just don't try it is a main string with a hybrid, it won't last long at all. Good luck with your elbow.

The Djoker
07-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Since you are using a dense string pattern, I think 62 is a good starting point. Don't be afraid to use MCS as a cross string in a poly hybrid either. It actually lasts a fairly long time. Just don't try it is a main string with a hybrid, it won't last long at all. Good luck with your elbow.

Do you think I would be okay with a BHBR/MCS hybrid now? Or should I go full MCS until the pain has subsided?

mikeler
07-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Do you think I would be okay with a BHBR/MCS hybrid now? Or should I go full MCS until the pain has subsided?

Full MCS for now. If you are in the early stages of pain, it should go away fairly soon. Once the pain subsides then try that hybrid at a nice low tension.

tomp
07-21-2011, 04:48 PM
I would not go so high up if you are having problems, just drop the tension a bit. In the mid 50s should give you enough power, keeping the arm problems away and increasing durability a bit. Defiantly use a full bed until you clear everything up and as Mikeler has said, ease into the poly lower.

The Djoker
07-21-2011, 07:43 PM
I would not go so high up if you are having problems, just drop the tension a bit. In the mid 50s should give you enough power, keeping the arm problems away and increasing durability a bit. Defiantly use a full bed until you clear everything up and as Mikeler has said, ease into the poly lower.

Got it strung up at 62 today and probably won't get to play until Sunday evening. I like a tighter stringbed, and MCS at 62 will surely be easier on the arm than anything with ALU at any tension. I also heard from my stringer that a guy he strings for said MCS loses a good amount of tension early on. I might go as low as 54# on the BHBR (mmaayybbee 52) once my elbow is feeling better. I just don't like the feel of anything much lower. I'll let you know how it plays:)

mikeler
07-22-2011, 06:33 AM
Got it strung up at 62 today and probably won't get to play until Sunday evening. I like a tighter stringbed, and MCS at 62 will surely be easier on the arm than anything with ALU at any tension. I also heard from my stringer that a guy he strings for said MCS loses a good amount of tension early on. I might go as low as 54# on the BHBR (mmaayybbee 52) once my elbow is feeling better. I just don't like the feel of anything much lower. I'll let you know how it plays:)

The Mantis guys recommend stringing at 58 or higher, so you are within their design intent. Believe me, at 60 pounds it feels like a pillow. MCS does not lose very much tension because it breaks so darn quick.