PDA

View Full Version : Rad user.. what to expect from a Prestige?

Cup8489
07-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Hey.. currently usin a MG Radical MP, with 8 grams under the grip and a leather grip.. but otherwise stock. I'm happy with the stick, but lately people have been suggesting I give the current YT Prestige MP a try, or perhaps a Prestige Pro.

I use Nylon at 68 lbs in the Radical... and I suppose my main beefs with the stick are not quite enough help on the serve (I feel like I've really gotta go after it to get any sort of spin and pace out of it), and maybe more stability both off the ground and at net.

In considering the Prestige MP, what should I expect if I come to demo it ?

Sandwichman
07-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Never tried the MG, but the PMP did feel a little too light for me, and it was very difficult to generate spin, and imo substantially harder than the mid. The Pro, however, is basically, again imo, a player's racquet version of the PD/APD. It has so much power, but also great control, and spin is incredible. The MP just didn't feel right to me for whatever reasons.

Cup8489
07-19-2011, 05:31 PM
I dont play with a whole lot of spin on my shots, mainly as a changeup to the flatter groundstrokes I usually hit. How much power does the pro have? I mean, I've never played with a frame like it before.. I know that i can hit a pretty big ball with an AG100, but that's the closest thing I can think of to a Prestige frame.

Lex
07-19-2011, 05:31 PM
I've played all three of the frames mentioned.

The Pro is a smooth frame! Long swings will give you plenty of pop and spin. I use a 17g at 52# for the length on shots.

The Prestige MP feels better at the net. Feels more stable.

Cup8489
07-19-2011, 05:39 PM
I've played all three of the frames mentioned.

The Pro is a smooth frame! Long swings will give you plenty of pop and spin. I use a 17g at 52# for the length on shots.

The Prestige MP feels better at the net. Feels more stable.

Would you say the MP is probably the better all around stick? I mean, I tend to come in if given the opportunity, but I do rally from the baseline quite a bit.

got spin?
07-19-2011, 05:44 PM
I find the prestiges to feel hollow and a tad lacking of feel. When I got my job at my club they gave me the Extreme MP, Prestige Pro, Prestige MP, Radical Pro, Radical mp and the Extreme Pro. I liked the Rad Pro and Rad MP the best. A little more flexible and more feel. I do have an MG Rad MP and I can hardly tell the difference between a MG Rad and a YT Rad. HOWEVER, I have hit with one of my dads LiquidMetal Prestiges (MP) and I prefer those over all of the HEADs my club gave me to demo for my job.

TheBoom
07-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Radicals and prestiges need more weight but I own a mg radical mp and i prefered the pro rather than the mp because of the spin that i could generate and also the ability to hit flat for some reason i had a lot of trouble with the mp generating spin, plus the pro was a sweet serving stick

movdqa
07-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Get the SW up to 330 and your serve should improve. If you want a lot of power on the serve, get it up to 345. Your current frame makes for a great base for modifications.

Cup8489
07-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Get the SW up to 330 and your serve should improve. If you want a lot of power on the serve, get it up to 345. Your current frame makes for a great base for modifications.

I've tried messing with the weight, but I feel that I serve better if I've got a fairly heavy but headlight frame without too high of a swingweight.

DeShaun
07-19-2011, 08:07 PM
You transition game may suffer initially as the Radical volleys much better in comparison to the Prestige Pro which is livelier off the string bed in my opinion. A buddy of mine who likes to serve and volley has a tremendous transition game but can't seem to cook up a hot serve with his Radical. From the baseline, the Radical offers more forgiveness/power/spin in my opinion, but how much spin/power/forgiveness do you actually need?

DeShaun
07-19-2011, 08:12 PM
I dont play with a whole lot of spin on my shots, mainly as a changeup to the flatter groundstrokes I usually hit. How much power does the pro have? I mean, I've never played with a frame like it before.. I know that i can hit a pretty big ball with an AG100, but that's the closest thing I can think of to a Prestige frame.

If you string your Pro at least 60lbs it shouldn't be "too powerful."

JGads
07-19-2011, 08:29 PM
MG Radical is an awesome, awesome frame. Epitome of a player's tweener to me. Great feel, can do anything very well. Just a touch light against heavy hitting for me. YT Prestige MP always felt light and a bit tinny to me, too, even compared to the MG Radical MP, oddly enough... Actually, I got an amazing deal on both a YT Prestige MP and Mid last year, went ahead and bought both for an extensive playtest and thought there was no way I'd end up playing with the Mid. Wrong. Thing was SO much sweeter, and not the unwieldy, overly demanding beast you'd imagine it to be. So if you'd be willing to give the Mid a look, that is one sweet stick. Different beast than the MP entirely, if you can swing it.

In my opinion, YT Mid>MG Radical MP>YT Prestige MP.

If the weight of the YT Mid is too much, also consider demoing the Black Ace Mid, which is like an easier-to-use Prestige Mid, and the feel is kind of a cross between the Prestige and the Radical.

Cup8489
07-19-2011, 08:32 PM
MG Radical is an awesome, awesome frame. Epitome of a player's tweener to me. Great feel, can do anything very well. Just a touch light against heavy hitting for me. YT Prestige MP always felt light and a bit tinny to me, too, even compared to the MG Radical MP, oddly enough... Actually, I got an amazing deal on both a YT Prestige MP and Mid last year, went ahead and bought both for an extensive playtest and thought there was no way I'd end up playing with the Mid. Wrong. Thing was SO much sweeter, and not the unwieldy, overly demanding beast you'd imagine it to be. So if you'd be willing to give the Mid a look, that is one sweet stick. Different beast than the MP entirely, if you can swing it.

If the weight of the YT Mid is too much, also consider demoing the Black Ace Mid, which is like an easier-to-use Prestige Mid, and the feel is kind of a cross between the Prestige and the Radical.

Thanks for this; it would seem I have some demoing to do :)

TaihtDuhShaat
07-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Hey.. currently usin a MG Radical MP, with 8 grams under the grip and a leather grip.. but otherwise stock. I'm happy with the stick, but lately people have been suggesting I give the current YT Prestige MP a try, or perhaps a Prestige Pro.

I use Nylon at 68 lbs in the Radical... and I suppose my main beefs with the stick are not quite enough help on the serve (I feel like I've really gotta go after it to get any sort of spin and pace out of it), and maybe more stability both off the ground and at net.

Just realized you don't want a higher SW. The prestige MP will give you what you are looking for.

Backhanded Compliment
07-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Pro has more zip on serves and is more suited to baseline play. The MP is more allcourt prone but also has a bit more precision. Both will make you work harder for your power but are great for serving. I mod mine and use both... with the MP being my go to frame against quality players. I use the pro on windy days and against junkballers who wont give me any pace.

The Pro is super whippy.

mrtrinh
07-19-2011, 10:53 PM
so what exactly are you looking to get? more topspin? plowthrough? i would assume if you're looking to generate more spin you should try out the pro version with the open string pattern. why not look into the yt radical pro? im not sure if anyone mentioned but its a pretty big change in flex as well

Cup8489
07-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Mainly just more pop on serve and something that's better at generating consistent pace. I find i really struggle with putaways with the radical, as the lightness of it means i tend to arm it more than i should. I always have the best putaway power with heavier frames.. but i'm not really sure exactly what I hope to improve on. Serving needs help, for sure, though.

Samo
07-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Mainly just more pop on serve and something that's better at generating consistent pace. I find i really struggle with putaways with the radical, as the lightness of it means i tend to arm it more than i should. I always have the best putaway power with heavier frames.. but i'm not really sure exactly what I hope to improve on. Serving needs help, for sure, though.

From what I read I would suggest you demo MID.

I used to play with YT Rad MP. After playing with a racket for a year I decided to switch. The main reason was that the racket is not that stable and a bit too light for me. You can also find yourself on the defense if playing against big hitters. So I decided and demoed YT Prestige Mid.The racket is a beast. So much stability and so much pace. I was painting the lines with my first serve. Furthermore my first serve had much more pace. The only downside was the kick serve. It might have to do with the string patters. On the other hand Radical has the same string pattern and I have no problem generating high-bouncing kickers. I was about to switch to mid but after 2 days of intensive demoing my shoulder start to hurt pretty badly (it was strung full poly @ 24 kg).

By chance I heard about Volkl PB mid and try it out and liked it so much I bought 2 of them. In comparison is quite "similar" to Mid when it comes to pace and stability, however it has an open string pattern and lower flex rating. The trajectory of the ball and the bounce is also less predictable compared to mid, so the opponent has to be more focused. Additional benefit is that I don't feel any pain, even if I play full poly.

DeShaun
07-20-2011, 01:03 AM

When I put ~15 grams of lead in the butt cap, ran another 30 grams along the hoop between 9 and 3, my Prestige Pro gave me all the pace and putaway power that I could handle. Rallying against hard hitters and dinkers alike became RIDICULOUSLY EASY.

My only problem was the great toll on racket head speed when serving that this setup exacted. I could get away with the loss of racket head speed to the forehand by simply flattening out my stroke and letting the racket's mass pound the ball back with great pace; and as for the backhand, well, the added weight only improved this wing in every important way, from slices to flat drives (who needs Gasquet's amount of topspin anyways?).

But getting used to not being able to whip my racket around on serve was challenging and in the end, all I could do was relax and hit seemingly gentle slice serves which were, however, fairly heavy on receivers...but I was never able to hit different kinds of serves requiring slight changes to my swing path or contact point with any consistency. That was frustrating because I take enormous pleasure in hammering serves...but I never could seem to dial in my coordination under this setup.

The racket when set up this way was a TRUE beast, though, and in rallies it did a GREAT DEAL of the heavy lifting for me in terms of getting balls back deep and heavy while asking of me very little in return.

Gee
07-20-2011, 02:17 AM

I agree. I also think the Prestige Mid is a much better frame than then MP and Pro.
When I demoed both the MG Prestige Mid and MP for the first time I never imagined that I would prefer the Mid because its more demanding headsize.

The Mid is much more solid than the MP and it has that real Prestige plowthrough, precision control and feel!

Lately, After a fews years demoing many racquets I just decided to buy 2 affordable MG Mids because only these ones have that addictive laser beam control and feel.

BTW I also demoed the Head MG Radical Pro that I liked a lot. Very easy sweetpot with a good feel. Only a bit too stiff to me and the strings were moving too much to my taste. (I hate to adjust my strings after every rally). Maybe a poly string wouldn't move too drastically.

royfrombigd
07-20-2011, 06:53 AM

68lbs is pretty tight in the Radical. Have you ever tried it with a lower tension? I played with with a stock MG Radical forever and finally gave because of low pace on serve and went to the MG MP Prestige for a while. In stock form, the Prestige is head and shoulders above the Radical in serve capability.

EKnee08
07-20-2011, 07:05 AM

I have gone back and forth between the 2 sticks. I originally had a stock YT Radical MP and liked it except I got pushed around by heavy hitters at baseline and big serve returns not stable. Switched to YT Prestige MP. It hit a flatter ball but very stable on serve returns and ground game. Not as much put away power at net. Although Radical is very precise, I found prestige even more so and more control. Also was able to generate more pop but less spin on serves More free points o nserve with Prestige.
However, Prestige not as soft or forgiving. My shoulder would occassionally get sore when I served. In fact, I had a freak injury returning serve with the Prestige-severe sprain of radial collateral ligament of index finger which kept me off the court for 4 months.
Upon returning, my orthopedist recommended that I use a softer and flexible racquet. RPNY suggested that I customize my Radicals to protect my finger. Since the switch, I have never had the pain again. At first, I missed the power I had on the serve but I adjusted. My serve is not quite as big but is effective and get more spin on 2nd serves. Also my shoulder never gets sore wit hthe radical. I also don't have to be as precise at net with the Radicals to put away.
The radicals as customized are the same weight and balance as the stock prestiges. Bottom line, the radicals as customized now work well for me.

Cup8489
07-20-2011, 08:04 AM
68lbs is pretty tight in the Radical. Have you ever tried it with a lower tension? I played with with a stock MG Radical forever and finally gave because of low pace on serve and went to the MG MP Prestige for a while. In stock form, the Prestige is head and shoulders above the Radical in serve capability.

I've played with alot of different string setups over the last year and a half that I've had the Radical.. but I arrived at this tension as a way to maximise control. I prefer Nylon because it's cheap, breaks when it loses playability, and I can play well with it.

I would probably bump down the tension on a prestige to account for the lower powered frame..

Thanks for the advice everyone.. I am curious as to what string setups really make the groundstrokes and serve sing.

EKnee08
07-20-2011, 10:51 AM
I've played with alot of different string setups over the last year and a half that I've had the Radical.. but I arrived at this tension as a way to maximise control. I prefer Nylon because it's cheap, breaks when it loses playability, and I can play well with it.

I would probably bump down the tension on a prestige to account for the lower powered frame..

Thanks for the advice everyone.. I am curious as to what string setups really make the groundstrokes and serve sing.

Yes, and it will play softer.
I used VS at 52.

Lex
07-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Would you say the MP is probably the better all around stick? I mean, I tend to come in if given the opportunity, but I do rally from the baseline quite a bit.

If you like to hash points out from the baseline, I'd suggest the Prestige Pro strung at about 50-52 lbs. I like BlackCode or MSV hex in 17g. You'll get plenty of pop and a ton of spin (open pattern).

I just bid on another MP to try to decide which I prefer. Singles is great with the Prestige Pro and doubles may be better with the MP.

Cup8489
07-20-2011, 08:04 PM
If you like to hash points out from the baseline, I'd suggest the Prestige Pro strung at about 50-52 lbs. I like BlackCode or MSV hex in 17g. You'll get plenty of pop and a ton of spin (open pattern).

I just bid on another MP to try to decide which I prefer. Singles is great with the Prestige Pro and doubles may be better with the MP.

Thanks for that assessment. I am actually in the process of trading my AG100 for a MGPP.

mrtrinh
07-20-2011, 10:11 PM
If you're interested I'm looking to sell my mg prestige pros. Vincetrinh22@yahoo.com

serial kicker
07-20-2011, 10:29 PM
I just came from couple of hrs playing session with a guy who used to wipe the floor with me
just bought the prestige pro from TW and I finished off my opponent 6-3 and 6-1

now I'm gonna have to admit that the stick isn't for everyone, some guys I gave it to them said it wasn't for them and whatnot, even I at first thought of selling it but kept plaing for a week and WOW.

at first I played with full bed of co-poly at 55 and god did I need some boost in power.
I cut the string , and strung it at 50 and voila :)

the serves and smashes I can't see them no more they're so fat.
I'm not even half decent at net but I started doing all sorts of tricks at net.

the backhand is so low and penetrating and the slices go even lower.

I am not a racquet modder unfortunately, I always play with racquets in stock form but I am fairly positive that this is a good stick and even if it didnt feel right at first you can always modify it with little lead tape.

Cup8489
07-21-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm getting a MGPP in a trade and it should arrive in the next day or so..

But my friend ordered a few demos from TW out of curiosity, including a Head YT Speed MP 16x19.. and I made the mistake of playing with it.. Good god it was fun to hit with... I may be rethinking the getting a prestige.. but I am going to give the pro a try and see if it plays the way I'm hoping it will.

Scribbles
07-21-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm not sure if this has been answered already in this post, but is the sweetspot on the Prestige MP noticeably smaller than on the Radical MP? (I've never hit with a Prestige lol)

un6a
07-22-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm not sure if this has been answered already in this post, but is the sweetspot on the Prestige MP noticeably smaller than on the Radical MP? (I've never hit with a Prestige lol)

Sweetspot of prestige MP and radical MP felt same to me.
Head size, head shape and pattern of prestige MP and radical MP is same or very very smilar.

Cup8489
07-25-2011, 08:52 AM
Got the MGPP in the mail the other day, hoping to get out this afternoon and compare it side-by-side with the Speed 16x19.. which completely blew my Radical out of the water in every single way, except perhaps control (but the spin i was getting, even with a multi, more than made up for it)