PDA

View Full Version : So, my name is Timbo and I don't mod my racquets.

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-19-2011, 09:38 PM
(a support group for ppl with the same problem as me)

I have been a non-racquet modder for 30 years. I have tried to change, but the farthest I have been able to push myself is an Overgrip, poly strings and a smiley face dampener...

I need help!

(or not)

:twisted:

TennisMaverick
07-19-2011, 09:50 PM

I have been a non-racquet modder for 30 years. I have tried to change, but the farthest I have been able to push myself is an Overgrip, poly strings and a smiley face dampener...

I need help!

(or not)

What?!

You mean you've never gone on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on.....asking: "What's your set-up"?

You don't look in the mirror practicing asking: "What's your set-up"?

"What's your set-up"? isn't how you say "Good Morning"?

Then if you aren't from Specmoeland, where are you from?:)

Cup8489
07-19-2011, 09:58 PM
My god. I envy you!

kchau
07-19-2011, 10:11 PM
im in with you, tried lead at 10 and 2, 3 and 9. didnt do it for me.

all ive done is just slap on a leather grip, overgrip, dampener, and call it good.

flashfire276
07-19-2011, 10:19 PM
We don't need help. Only modders need help. ^_^
Especially for those that spend a month's wage for a pro stock racquet that is required to be modified. What a waste!

whomad15
07-19-2011, 10:45 PM
i modified my racquet with lead for the first time about two weeks ago. 2" total at both 10 and 2, and 3-4" in the handle. Racquet became super stable and I can hit extremely heavy shots, but oh wow I did not think that 6" of lead tape would make it that much heavier to swing. Takes a lot of effort to get those shots, but worth it.

TripleB
07-20-2011, 04:19 AM
On my racquet I've got an overgrip, rubberband dampner, and clear head tape.

Every time I put lead tape above the balance point it makes the racquet feel too head heavy compared to what it felt like before I added the lead tape. I guess I could counter-balance that weight with weight in the handle but I typically don't. So I don't ever add lead tape to my racquets.

What I've done instead is to have the Pros at T-W customize my racquets before they send them to me. It's an extra charge but well worth the money in my opinion. To know that all of my racquet have the exact same weight, balance point, and swingweight means a lot when I have to switch racquets whenever I'm playing*.

And the work they do at T-W is 1st class and perfect every time. They seem to treat the racquets as if they were they are their own. The lead tape is always cut straight and applied perfectly on the racquet. They modified one of my Ozone Tours so well I didn't even notice it had lead tape on it for about 7 months :shock:. It was on the inside of the throat and the two pieces were exactly the same size and in the exact same place on the two sides of the throat. I though it was just a shiny part of the racquet and paid it no attention.

TripleB

movdqa
07-20-2011, 04:32 AM
I put Firefox and Thunderbird stickers on my PK Ki5 PSE. Adds a little personality to the frame.

el sergento
07-20-2011, 05:47 AM

I need help!

(or not)

How boring. You're like the Tim Henman of posters.

klementine79
07-20-2011, 05:57 AM
Yeah... yeah... blah... blah...

You'll miss out on life's great experiences....

Due the adverse side-effects of continuous exposure to lead-tape... My offspring have a greater chance of being born with birth defects... such as 3 arms.... 1 eye... and maybe even a tail.

Not only that... but I'll collect disability checks from the government until they're 25 and have handicap parking privileges.

So take that Mr.Pants.... :smile:

dozu
07-20-2011, 06:14 AM
Timbo you don't know what you are missing.

Modding is one of the highest pleasures in life, not too far behind sex.

TheBoom
07-20-2011, 06:23 AM
I try not too but its so fun to try it every now and again :twisted:

anirut
07-20-2011, 06:35 AM
Believe it or not, after all the crazy experiments, I'm now playing my Redondo totally stock. Not even an overgrip.

Larrysümmers
07-20-2011, 06:35 AM
Timbo you don't know what you are missing.

Modding is one of the highest pleasures in life, not too far behind sex.

pretty much

im sorry, but timbo, only 3.0's and below dont mod their frames :twisted: :D

Gee
07-20-2011, 06:38 AM
I am modding my frames with lead since I am a member of this forum. Before I never heard anyone about customizing racquets into my region. Even not after more than 30 years of playing tennis!

I am glad I discovered TT!

Larrysümmers
07-20-2011, 06:40 AM
I am modding my frames with lead since I am a member of this forum. Before I never heard anyone about customizing racquets into my region. Even not after more than 30 years of playing tennis!
I am glad I discovered TT!

that is true. depsite me not playing for nearly as long as you,when i told my coach about lead tape, and paint jobs, seems like the most talked things on here, he was like huh? TTW has opened my eyes :p

JackB1
07-20-2011, 06:45 AM
some racquets need mods...some play great stock. It all depends on the racquet. I prefer to leave my racquets stock, but sometimes you just have to mod.

Gee
07-20-2011, 06:48 AM
that is true. depsite me not playing for nearly as long as you,when i told my coach about lead tape, and paint jobs, seems like the most talked things on here, he was like huh? TTW has opened my eyes :p

Knowlegde is power! ;-)

TheBoom
07-20-2011, 04:18 PM
You guys are hard on timbo man you threw yourself under the bus bro :)

The Wreck
07-20-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm with you Timbo. I guess there's a place for it. But if I have to make all these changes to a racket to make it "good" then why am I using that racket in the first place? (I know, there are flaws in that logic, but still). I'd just rather buy a racket that I like on its own and be done with it.

Fuji
07-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Timbo, you're doing it all wrong buddy! Your Bio 200's are FOR SURE not heavy enough and are way too headlight! They should be at least 13.0oz and max 5 points head light. You obviously have NO plow through in your shots, and your volleys must be garbage. Since you play such high levels of tennis, all other opponents must laugh at you and your pitiful shots compared to their heavily modded rackets...

JUST KIDDING!!!!! :D

I used to be like you, then I discovered how much I love rackets that have excessive weight... at least that hasn't happened to my taste in women yet...

-Fuji

anirut
07-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Well, Timbo, you've modded your rackets -- with string type and tension.

Or you might have modded yourself to rackets.

So, it's either modding rackets to yourself or modding yourself to rackets.

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-20-2011, 09:14 PM
I don't know, I have this ridiculous idea that the expensive racquet I demoed and fell in love with will work just fine the way it is and the engineers at the company might know more than me about balance and weight.

Its ridiculous, really, isn't it?

Fuji
07-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Timbo you are being more then ridiculous, you're border line insane!! Thinking that all these racket engineers know best. PFFT! ;)

-Fuji

MarinaHighTennis
07-20-2011, 09:25 PM
I used to mod with lots of lead on 3 & 9 but now my dad ripped out all the lead tape because of carcinogens.

Its better that you get used to your racket than making the racket get used to you.

Fuji
07-20-2011, 09:31 PM
I used to mod with lots of lead on 3 & 9 but now my dad ripped out all the lead tape because of carcinogens.

Its better that you get used to your racket than making the racket get used to you.

LOL! It's people like your dad that make my day a bit brighter!

By this logic you shouldn't eat any BBQ'd meat, never be around 2nd hand smoke, and never touch coins.

I'm obviously just messing with you, but it's just a little food for though. Lead is basically only dangerous if you shove it up your nose and in your mouth, put it in your eyes and eat it. Avoid these simple things, and lead is harmless. I used it all the time in Chemistry and our teacher never, ever took any thought about using lead. He did seem more worried about the HCL we were using though.... :)

-Fuji

TennisMaverick
07-20-2011, 09:40 PM
"What's your set-up"?....said the Specmoe from the Rahn Clan.

UCSF2012
07-20-2011, 10:13 PM
I don't know, I have this ridiculous idea that the expensive racquet I demoed and fell in love with will work just fine the way it is and the engineers at the company might know more than me about balance and weight.

They know about balance and weight, but they don't know about you. They don't know how strong you are, your style of play, ...etc. So the way you overcome it is that you adjust your racket to your needs.

If you're spraying your balls, you may decide to increase your string tension. You know what happens when you increase string tension? You use less string, so the racket head gets lighter. Now you're swinging slightly faster. How do you compensate? Add lead to weight it back down to your original liking.

UCSF2012
07-20-2011, 10:15 PM

You should promise your dad you'll stop eating tennis rackets. That way, the lead will have no negative consequences on your health.

Now, you can't add lead at 3/9. You have to add it at 12 o'clock. And place it under the headguard so your dad won't find out. :)

MarinaHighTennis
07-20-2011, 10:22 PM
You should promise your dad you'll stop eating tennis rackets. That way, the lead will have no negative consequences on your health.

Now, you can't add lead at 3/9. You have to add it at 12 o'clock. And place it under the headguard so your dad won't find out. :)

Yeah I have a problem with chewing on things when nervous or down in a match.

Well he says when you touch it and you rub your eyes and such. But the best was burning the lead and watching it explode. :shock:

Don't worry he never found the lead under the grip ;)

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-20-2011, 11:28 PM
They know about balance and weight, but they don't know about you. They don't know how strong you are, your style of play, ...etc. So the way you overcome it is that you adjust your racket to your needs.

If you're spraying your balls, you may decide to increase your string tension. You know what happens when you increase string tension? You use less string, so the racket head gets lighter. Now you're swinging slightly faster. How do you compensate? Add lead to weight it back down to your original liking.

Oh my, i really hope you're joking, I really do...

Agent Orynge
07-21-2011, 04:47 AM
Oh my, i really hope you're joking, I really do...

You can't take anything that guy says seriously.

TennisCJC
07-21-2011, 10:32 AM
some racquets need mods...some play great stock. It all depends on the racquet. I prefer to leave my racquets stock, but sometimes you just have to mod.

Agreed. Played Wilson BLX 6.1 95 16x18 stock as it has high swingweight and good balance stock. Tried many rackets in the 11-12 oz range and did not like most of them in stock form. Wilson BLX Blade 98 stock is good but not my favorite feel - swingweight is around 335 g stock. My opinion is most rackets under 12 oz can be improved with a little lead. I have used lead on Dunlop BIO 300, Dunlop BIO 300 Tour, RDX 500, TF Tfight 320, and Volkl Org 10 recently with very good results. So, it depends on the racket - some good stock while others need customization. My opinion is swingweight and balance are the key. I like 4-8 pts HL and swingweight 330-345. With some of these rackets, the improvement after customization was fairly substantial. TF Tfight 320 was an excellent racket stock but it was dramatically improved with about 7 g in head (3.5 g at 3/9 o'clock). It was much easier to generate pace, depth, and to play defense with the customization. The 1st time I tried it, it was like "holy poop" that was easy power.

skiracer55
07-21-2011, 10:54 AM

I need help!

(or not)

...that's all you need. I play with a Head Speed Lite, and I need to add just a little lead tape to the bottom of the head, but that's it. Other than that, I pretty much do what you do...

JackB1
07-21-2011, 11:00 AM

You realize that when you increase tension you are probably using maybe an inch less string over the entire stringbed. That's probably less than a gram.

TheOneHander
07-21-2011, 11:18 AM
You realize that when you increase tension you are probably using maybe an inch less string over the entire stringbed. That's probably less than a gram.

Considering that when you break a multifilament, the broken pieces of string remain about 5 inches apart. Figuring that about 50 lbs of tension were lost, that's about a tenth of an inch per pound of tension. Let's say you drop four pounds on your next string job, or four tenths of an inch. 40 feet of string is approximately 15g, so that's .03125 grams per inch of string. Multiply that by .4 and you get .0125g.

So you've only lost .0125g by going up four pounds. Note, this is all approximation and may not be correct, as I'm absolutely exhausted at the moment. But string tension makes minimal impact upon a racquet.

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-21-2011, 02:50 PM
I think he was kidding.

Maybe

TheOneHander
07-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Maybe not. If my racquet weight goes up or down depending on string tension, I play it till it breaks. Then I write to the company about how their string messed up my game and receive free product. Since I use full kevlar at 30kg, I only have to worry about this once a year. The companies never know a thing.

Hey, I'm a grown adult who works in a apricot canning facility, I need the extra money.

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Pffft!!

I like you!

OrangePower
07-21-2011, 03:24 PM

I need help!

(or not)

Of course, by adding an overgrip, you've already messed with the stock weight and balance... an overgrip is about 5gm and will make the racquet about 1pt more head-light. This might be partially offset by your addition of a dampener, but then of course the whole setup becomes more polarized.

So basically, you're just a *closet* modder :-)

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-21-2011, 04:35 PM
I told you, I have been able to push myself that far but no further.

sheesh

pay attention!

Anton
07-21-2011, 05:07 PM

Yes, because Timbo is the very target market for all them engineers. They day and night obsess over Timbo's technique and bio-mechanics, so Timbo doesn't have to worry about a thing.

All them people that like 340+ swingweight should just get bent and be limited to 1-2 sticks that have that.

UCSF2012
07-21-2011, 05:15 PM

Do you string your own racket? You use a good bit less string than that. I feel the racket swing faster everytime I increase the tension. But you know what? Instead of making up numbers like one inch, let somebody MEASURE the difference. My rackets swing faster when I increase the tension.

Or to make the difference more obvious, you change a 16g string to a 17g string. The difference in string mass from the reduced diameter of the string is noticable.

Scribbles
07-21-2011, 05:34 PM
I know the feeling. I try to buy racquets that don't require modding for me....I'm too indecisive lol.

UCSF2012
07-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Sometimes, ignorance is bliss. If you've never customized your racket, then you don't know how frustrating it is. With every inch of lead you put on, the moment of inertia changes, and you have to change your swing to compensate. Some shots get better, some get worse.

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Yes, because Timbo is the very target market for all them engineers. They day and night obsess over Timbo's technique and bio-mechanics, so Timbo doesn't have to worry about a thing.

All them people that like 340+ swingweight should just get bent and be limited to 1-2 sticks that have that.

lol, mate, all I can tell you is that among my playing group, who are all open level players that coach, there aren't any racquet modders, which may mean the target market for 'player's racquets' is 5.0 and up adult males. Who knew?

(think about it)

klementine79
07-21-2011, 07:04 PM
^ Wow that's some group of friends you hang out with...

How many are there exactly that are 6.0's and typically have had intensive training for national tournament competition at the junior level and collegiate levels and have obtained a provincial and/or national "open" ranking in this group?

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Probably 3 reached a really high level. Ken is state number 1, Marty used to play futures/satellites and Andrew reached about 600 on the ATP rankings ten years or so ago.. (I might be doing Matthew an injustice as I don't know much about his career when he was younger but he is an awfully good player now in his late 30s!)

All of us hold national rankings (in Australia), I am somewhere in the middle of the group, I guess. We all coach at the same centre which is a regional development site.
(ie, we have all the top juniors from the North of our state in squads with us)

We have 2 boys currently playing college tennis in the States, Rory de Boer at MSU in Texas and Jamie Dash at South Dakota
(both Matthew's pupils, grrr!)

pvaudio
07-21-2011, 07:44 PM

This is just tennis, not pyrotechnic chemistry. That amount of weight makes zero difference.

klementine79
07-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Probably 3 reached a really high level. Ken is state number 1, Marty used to play futures/satellites and Andrew reached about 600 on the ATP rankings ten years or so ago.. (I might be doing Matthew an injustice as I don't know much about his career when he was younger but he is an awfully good player now in his late 30s!)

All of us hold national rankings (in Australia), I am somewhere in the middle of the group, I guess. We all coach at the same centre which is a regional development site. (ie, we have all the top juniors from the North of our state in squads with us)

Wow....

You should consider yourself lucky to be afforded the opportunity to actually make some kind of living off your passion (not many do)....

I would love to see some video of this centre and some of the drills/exercises you guys do.

I know of one 6.0 'open' level player (who actually gave me lessons awhile back), he is also a good friend of the family... played collegiate level tennis and was ranked nationally at one point in time.... He(44) puts a spanking on me every time we play... literally destroys me(31)...

He plays with an RDS002Tour (w/ lead at 3&9)... so hey... go figure... he mods.

At that level, the weight, balance,swingweight...blah...blah... has nothing to do with it... he could probably beat me with a frying pan.... but it would be a lot closer. :smile:

EDIT: Guarantee... those pupils who made it to the states will be polluted by us americans and start modifying their frames. ;)

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Wow....

You should consider yourself lucky to be afforded the opportunity to actually make some kind of living off your passion (not many do)....

EDIT: Guarantee... those pupils who made it to the states will be polluted by us americans and start modifying their frames. ;)

1. I do!!!

2. I saw a promo shot of Rory on teh MSU website playing with what looks like a Dunlop Bio 300 (non tour). He's a big hitting 6 foot plus young guy so I reckon he must have leaded that thing, surely!

Anton
07-21-2011, 08:06 PM
lol, mate, all I can tell you is that among my playing group, who are all open level players that coach, there aren't any racquet modders, which may mean the target market for 'player's racquets' is 5.0 and up adult males. Who knew?

(think about it)

The best players I personally know, two of whom played at us open qualifiers do not mod and cannot be bothered with anything involving numbers or measures. They've played with w/e rackets since they were 5 and by the time they grow into thinking adults they are very set in ways they think about their equipment and their tennis (they are rarely caught playing tennis just for fun and are mostly just giving tennis lessons). People who get into tennis later in life are much more likely to experiment with their equipment as are the most competetive of tennis players looking for every advantage.

Lets think about it:

Federer? Leaded up
Nadal? Leaded up
Djoker? Leaded up

With but a few exceptions just about all (male) pros play with 340+ swingweight rackets and pro-stock frames that are often specifically made to be customized. Obviously there is a reason why they do it. What is it that you Timbo know that they don't?

So there, looks like my good players are better then yours. :P

Yea most people don't bother customizing, yes you can be good without any customization, but it doesn't mean it doesn't work or can't help.

Ben Hadd
07-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Depends on how hard you search for the perfect racquet I guess lol. I have played non-modded, and modded. I definitely prefer customizing a stick to my game.

UCSF2012
07-21-2011, 08:20 PM
This is just tennis, not pyrotechnic chemistry. That amount of weight makes zero difference.

When you play with an 85 or 90 sq inch head and swing with a full cut 1-2 lbs tension makes all the difference in the world. You have less than an inch error before the pop is gone. Swing a hair too early, and you shank.

That small difference can be the difference between 125 and 130 mph. From personal experience, breaking 130 isn't easy, and many times it comes down to subtle differences in equipment.

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-21-2011, 08:21 PM
I missed the part where I said modding was a bad thing?

I have 3 x Dunlop bio 200s which are very consistent in their quality. I can't tell them apart when I am playing with them.

(yes, I am sponsored by Dunlop, but it is still true!)

I am talking about my experience, and that of my peers. The best of us has a winning record against Lleyton Hewitt and the highest ranking was Andrew who got in the low 600s long ago. He plays with standard Pure Drives. I am competitive enough to still have a national singles ranking at the age of 44, does that count? (I'm the only 44 year old 'Tim' on the Tennis Australia national rankings if you can be bothered looking)

But then, I don't know what I'm talking about, do I?

UCSF2012
07-21-2011, 08:32 PM

I have Dunlop 3 bio 200s which are very consistent in their quality. I can't tell them apart when I am playing with them.

I am talking about my experience, and that of my peers. The best of us has a winning record against Lleyton Hewitt and the highest ranking was Andrew who got in the low 600s long ago. He plays with standard Pure Drives. I am competitive enough to still have a national singles ranking at the age of 44, does that count? (I'm the only 44 year old 'Tim' on the Tennis Australia national rankings if you can be bothered looking)

Being good at tennis but having never modding your racket....makes it so that you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to modding rackets, yes. Being good at tennis is one thing. Knowledge of racket customization is another.

You don't have to mod your rackets to be good at tennis.

Anton
07-21-2011, 08:53 PM

I have Dunlop 3 bio 200s which are very consistent in their quality. I can't tell them apart when I am playing with them.

You don't think it's possible that some changes in your rackets could've made your game even better?

pvaudio
07-21-2011, 09:20 PM
When you play with an 85 or 90 sq inch head and swing with a full cut 1-2 lbs tension makes all the difference in the world. You have less than an inch error before the pop is gone. Swing a hair too early, and you shank.

That small difference can be the difference between 125 and 130 mph. From personal experience, breaking 130 isn't easy, and many times it comes down to subtle differences in equipment.
Take a look in my closet:
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/2782/img0639k.jpg

Those are AG100s, 90sq in racquets, so you can throw that out already.

Changing the tension of the racquet changes the characteristics not because of the centimeter or so of string that you gain or lose, but because it changes the physical feel of the stringbed. The added or lost mass is completely irrelevant.

And please do learn at least a modicum of basic physics if you are going to sit there and tell me that a fraction of a gram in the stringbed will up or lower your serve speed by 5mph. Please, just stop with that.

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-21-2011, 09:26 PM
You don't think it's possible that some changes in your rackets could've made your game even better?

Not really, unless I can mod my head to do something about my shot selection!

As long as a racquet is in my spec range, then my game will be just fine. Sure, I have a pretty narrow window, but there are at least three makers with more than one racquet in that range and I am totally happy with my Dunlops.

Would I be happy with, say, an APD? No, I doubt it, but why would I buy one of those and then mess around trying to turn it into a Pure Storm Ltd.?

Surely I would have been better to buy what I wanted in the first instance?

I do understand the deisre to tinker, and to personalise, but for me ti has never been necessary and a quick run around my peers found that they don't do it either.

I never said I thought there was something wrong with modding, only that I don't do it!!

pvaudio
07-21-2011, 09:29 PM

As long as a racquet is in my spec range, then my game will be just fine. Sure, I have a pretty narrow window, but there are at least three makers with more than one racquet in that range and I am totally happy with my Dunlops.

Would I be happy with, say, an APD? No, I doubt it, but why would I buy one of those and then mess around trying to turn it into a Pure Storm Ltd.?

I do understand the deisre to tinker, and to personalise, but for me ti has never been necessary and a quick run around my peers found that they don't do it either.

I never said I thought there was something wrong with modding, only that I don't do it!!
I agree with you. I used to modify my racquets in all sorts of ways: lead, bumper guard removal, silicone in the handle, tape under the grip, etc. I've simply found that instead of changing part of the stick to make a certain part of my game better, either improve my game in that area until I can no longer do it and then change sticks if need be. I did the latter just yesterday. It's completely personal preference: some people want to tailor the racquet exactly to how they play and that's fine. Some people simply play with what's there and they play exactly how they want to. If the racquet doesn't allow you to do something, then you need a different one, simple as that. If you want to enhance something, then that's entirely different, and also that simple. :)

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-21-2011, 09:30 PM
The best players I personally know, two of whom played at us open qualifiers do not mod

So there, looks like my good players are better then yours. :P

No doubt. They don't mod either...

:)

Anton
07-21-2011, 09:31 PM

As long as a racquet is in my spec range, then my game will be just fine.

How about your racket with 2-3 grams more weight at 12? ;)

It's a quick try, what do you have to lose - right?

Anton
07-21-2011, 09:33 PM
No doubt. They don't mod either...

:)

Yes they do mod - federer, nadal, djoker and most pros in top 100 :)

Fuji
07-21-2011, 09:34 PM
How about your racket with 2-3 grams more weight at 12? ;)

It's a quick try, what do you have to lose - right?

You sound like a kid in middle school pushing drugs to his peers LOL!!!!

-Fuji

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-21-2011, 09:35 PM
it is more about what I have to gain, which is nothing.

I don't want to set myself up as some kind of tennis god 'cos I'm really not, but I can pretty much hit any damn shot I want from any ball I can actually reach (always my big weakness) with the sticks I have now.

If I wanted to lift my level I would need to find a half step of speed I have never had.
I can't mod my damn legs, though!

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Yes they do mod - federer, nadal, djoker and most pros in top 100 :)

lol i was talking about the guys you know

I doubt any of the top 20 have the slightest idea what their racquet specs are if truth be told.

I do know a huge majority of the pro sticks I have handled (which is quite a lot) have just been unleaded pro stock stuff.

JackB1
07-22-2011, 05:46 AM
modding has nothing to do with your ability level. It's all about making the racquet more comfortable and to become like an extension of your body when you play.

Anton
07-22-2011, 06:51 AM

I don't want to set myself up as some kind of tennis god 'cos I'm really not, but I can pretty much hit any damn shot I want from any ball I can actually reach (always my big weakness) with the sticks I have now.

If I wanted to lift my level I would need to find a half step of speed I have never had.

Any shot you can hit, you can, at least in theory, hit better - faster, more spin, less effort, etc.

It seems strange that you take such a strong stance on something you've never even tried.

Cup8489
07-22-2011, 07:02 AM
Any shot you can hit, you can, at least in theory, hit better - faster, more spin, less effort, etc.

It seems strange that you take such a strong stance on something you've never even tried.

There's no point trying to force your opinions on him.. if he's not gonna mod, leave him be.

TheOneHander
07-22-2011, 09:58 AM
For me, I had a week where the only racquet available to me was my YTPM. I really enjoyed how head light it felt compared to my ASGTs (7 points VS 4), even though the ASGTs were fantastic stock. So I added about 3 grams of lead to the handle of my Storms and-voila! More maneuverability and whip, with faster swing speeds. Hooray for me.

Other than my ASGTs, though, I've only modified frames once. I was getting frustrated with my RDS003s, and I played with a different racquet every day-KPS88, Pure Drive Team, Tom's Machine, and even my old Ultra FPK 95 from my younger days. Out of sheer boredom, I slapped about four grams of lead at 12, 3, 9, 10, and 2, and the RDS 003 became a solid, spin-friendly stick. I was able to use it for six more months before they met unfortunate ends, but it really helped the stick's performance!

meowmix
07-22-2011, 11:10 AM
I tried to mod... before taking off all the lead. Now play MG Rads with just a leather grip.

TheBoom
07-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Problem with moding is that it can take a while and while you mod you're game might suffer a bit

OrangePower
07-22-2011, 12:08 PM

That says it all right there. You are experienced enough to know what your ideal spec range is, in which case, sure, buy a racquet that falls in that range, and then there's really no need to mod.

On the other hand, many players don't really know what their ideal spec range is, hence the experimentation with modding. Alternatively, such players could try out many different stock frames to see which work best, but buying a bunch of different frames can get expensive. Yes, there are demo programs, but using a demo racquet with whatever string/tension it happens to be strung with for a few days is not the same as using a racquet longer term with your preferred string and tension.

I'm an example of this. When I got back into tennis several years ago, I bought some frames that initially felt good, but then felt 'wrong' to me after a few months. I experimented with a few mods until they felt right, but since then have had no need to touch them further. If I ever have to change frames, I now know what to look for and will buy something I can use stock.

Of course, there are also folks that are constantly tinkering just because they enjoy it, and that's fine too...

Anton
07-22-2011, 12:08 PM
There's no point trying to force your opinions on him.. if he's not gonna mod, leave him be.

I haven't mastered the art of forcing anyone into anything over online forums just yet :)

Just making an argument.

TennisMaverick
07-22-2011, 02:16 PM
...many players don't really know what their ideal spec range is, hence the experimentation with modding.

And that fact, true as it is, is an absurdity. Those players have zero excuse and should lose every match they play, if they're lucky enough to find someone to play with.

TheOneHander
07-22-2011, 02:18 PM
And that fact, true as it is, is an absurdity. Those players have zero excuse and should lose every match they play, if they're lucky enough to find someone to play with.

I agree wholeheartedly. I don't care HOW skilled you are, but if you are so apathetic about your tennis that you don't even bother to find your spec range, you should be defaulted every time until you know.

gregor.b
07-22-2011, 02:28 PM
On my racquet I've got an overgrip, rubberband dampner, and clear head tape.

Every time I put lead tape above the balance point it makes the racquet feel too head heavy compared to what it felt like before I added the lead tape. I guess I could counter-balance that weight with weight in the handle but I typically don't. So I don't ever add lead tape to my racquets.

What I've done instead is to have the Pros at T-W customize my racquets before they send them to me. It's an extra charge but well worth the money in my opinion. To know that all of my racquet have the exact same weight, balance point, and swingweight means a lot when I have to switch racquets whenever I'm playing*.

And the work they do at T-W is 1st class and perfect every time. They seem to treat the racquets as if they were they are their own. The lead tape is always cut straight and applied perfectly on the racquet. They modified one of my Ozone Tours so well I didn't even notice it had lead tape on it for about 7 months :shock:. It was on the inside of the throat and the two pieces were exactly the same size and in the exact same place on the two sides of the throat. I though it was just a shiny part of the racquet and paid it no attention.

TripleB

I have 2 N Blades that are 1 gram apart in overall weight and same balance.All stock standard.I can't tell the difference so swapping racquets makes no difference to me.

gregor.b
07-22-2011, 02:43 PM

Try some plyometrics or kinesio tape.If the first one is too hard the second one makes you look like you have.Lol

UCSF2012
07-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Take a look in my closet:
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/2782/img0639k.jpg

Those are AG100s, 90sq in racquets, so you can throw that out already.

Changing the tension of the racquet changes the characteristics not because of the centimeter or so of string that you gain or lose, but because it changes the physical feel of the stringbed. The added or lost mass is completely irrelevant.

And please do learn at least a modicum of basic physics if you are going to sit there and tell me that a fraction of a gram in the stringbed will up or lower your serve speed by 5mph. Please, just stop with that.

If you truely knew your basic physics, then you'd know that you're making the wrong argument.

I said it COULD affect your service speed due to faster swing AND timing difference. Cranking out 130mph on a PS85 requires such precise timing that even the smallest error will drop you to 120. Hot off-centered by half an inch will prevent you from hitting 130.

Agent Orynge
07-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Should anyone really care whether other people don't customize their racket? Most people don't, and I honestly don't give a crap whether they try it out.

Then why post here?

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Try some plyometrics or kinesio tape.If the first one is too hard the second one makes you look like you have.Lol

LOL!

They look fine, they just don't move that fast!

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Hmmm.

I have been talking some Wilson owners... They don't have much of a choice, none of them are the same!

No wonder you guys are conditioned to mod!

dozu
07-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Wilson to rackets is like Nike to sporting goods in general.

they burn **** load of money in ad campaigns, but product is crap.