PDA

View Full Version : Wilson 6.1 95 18 x 20

leeuk22
07-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Hi guys I was looking at trying this racket as a demo but before I do I would really like all your wise views on this stick good or bad!!!

Thanks for any response

Irony Zealot
07-20-2011, 10:23 AM
I have the 16 x 18 version, and it's a very solid stick.

Are there any particular things you were wondering about?

leeuk22
07-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Mainly how the racket plays pros and cons? I no it will differ slightly because of the string patterns

pingu
07-20-2011, 11:05 AM
If you can handle heavy racket, this stick is great and I like it better than the K six-one tour. I used it for awhile and now switching to a more forgiving racket, lighter (~11 oz) and bigger head size (98 - 100 sq in).

Irony Zealot
07-20-2011, 11:25 AM
I guess I'll just list the pros and cons.

Pros:
-Good plowthrough
-Stable
-Excellent control
-Good spin (I don't generally hit with a ton of spin though)
-Has access to power, depending on string setup.
-Maneuverable at net
-Crisp feel (I have leather and OG on it right now. Original grip and OG still gave good feedback.)

Cons:
-Weight might be too much for some (My friend who borrows mine from time to time says it's a good workout afterwards. Personally, I think many tennis players need to work out a bit and get some muscle. I have no issues.)
-Stiff. Somewhat forgiving sweetspot, but if you really give the ball a good shank, you'll feel it.
-Lower powered compared to other frames. Definitely have to generate most of your power, but the racquet will be able to provide some.

Basically, the K95 will reward you if you do things right, but it will punish you for doing things wrong.

basil J
07-20-2011, 12:29 PM
I love this frame with a full multi or vs gut, but If I am out there for more than 1 1/2 hours, it just wears down my shoulder. Great serving stick and excellent control and power off the ground. IMO, much better than the 16 x 18 version. I have 2 that weigh in at 12.7 oz strung and they can feel stiff after a few hours. I am finding that I compete better with a frame in the 11.9-12.1 oz range that is a bit softer. If i was 20 years old, I would not look at another frame. But I am not(50 years young, with a bad shoulder)

UCSF2012
07-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Consider the 16x18 version. The string pattern is very dense at the center, where you hit your ground strokes. This gives it very good control. It is not less control than the 18x20, because it's dense where it needs to be. It's more open on the top and bottom. If you think you're getting less control, it may be psychological

The K6.1 95 swings funky. On the forehand, I get a moderately quick swing speed. On the backhand (1 hander), it's super quick. Too quick. I had to adapt to the different swing speeds on different sides.

Good pop. Very powerful for a control racket. Very head light and manuverable because of it. Feels even better when you replace the trugrip with a leather grip.

fanatic32
07-20-2011, 07:42 PM
I have the 18x20.. its a solid, stable stick... best part is up at the net because of the high weight.. but you should try it for a week or so because the weight may cause shoulder/elbow problems.

Gasolina
07-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Contrary to some of the comments, I thought it wasn't maneuverable at the net but is a beast to volley. Really hard not to rely on the racquets heft in serving and hitting groundstrokes (resulting in fuller, slower swings).

It has really easy power too. Instant heavy shots

nyc
07-20-2011, 08:20 PM
I still like the NCode version the best of the bunch. And +1 for the 16x18.

leeuk22
07-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the response guys I'm picking the racket up to demo tonight:) maybe I should give you some info about how i play as I'm not sure if the stick is any were close to what I should be using.
I'm 22 play a fairly all round game, although I feel strong at the baseline of my my backhand 1HB, although I have no lack of confidence in coming in and finishing the point.

brownbearfalling
07-20-2011, 08:34 PM
The k95 follows the same concept of string pattern density. The 18x20 is generally for flatter hitters because it has a more dead string bed where as the 16x18 will give you more spin and more for a top spin hitter because of the open pattern and livlier string bed.

Personally I like the 18x20 because the string bed is more consistent throughout the life of the strings. And I can get away with using thinner strings. But in general if you want more versatility go for the 16x18 it is easier to adopt to. In my experience if you string the 16x18 pattern at very high tension it gives you the same feel and characteristics of the 18x20 pattern. That's saying that the 16x18 is a better investment unless you know you need the 18x20 pattern. All in all the Wilson six one 95s are great Racquets.

leeuk22
07-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Irony Zealot!!!!
What would be your recommendations for string set ups that would give more power to this racket??

Irony Zealot
07-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Irony Zealot!!!!
What would be your recommendations for string set ups that would give more power to this racket??

You will want to string the mains with a multi or natural gut at a lower tension. What you put in the cross is up to you. You can go full bed for max comfort, or put in a cheaper poly or synthetic gut if you want the set of multi to last longer. The crosses didn't matter that much in terms of feel, power, or spin. Mostly helps in durability and string movement.

fotisutmost
07-21-2011, 12:45 AM
I own the N6.1 95 18x20. If you can handle the extra weight and have efficient technique it is a great frame. I don't think you can go wrong with either 16x18 or 18x20 version.