PDA

View Full Version : Old with new strings - playability/durability

va56
07-20-2011, 02:48 AM
Stringing myself more than a year for my daughter (16 yo).
Luxilon 16L Alu power 56 pounds on Wilson BLX Pro Open (some lead tape) - she plays 5 days a week in a Summer.

1. The strange thing (on my opinion) but my daughter would prefer older strings (2 weeks old) to the new one.
I hit stringbeds on the racquets they sound _almost_ same therefore I assume strings on both racquets have _same_ properties (tension, response etc)
When I ask her why she prefers old strings to the new one she says: I do not know but looks like with old strings I do not hit ball in the net (less).
What is this? Should I do less tension like 55-53 pounds?

2. And even stranger. She used to break same strings 2 years ago every week. But now only once a 2-3 weeks (2 racquets) but plays much more and more powerful. Do not see any reason except strings are more durable now.

Thank you.

va56
07-20-2011, 02:52 AM
Correction/Addition:
#2 – we moved from Dunlop which was 16x18 to BLX with 16x19 string patterns. Does really 19 vs 18 make strings so much durable?

MuscleWeave
07-20-2011, 12:53 PM
By and large, Dunlops are more flexible than Wilsons. She may have a preference toward crisper feeling racquets.

If she is breaking strings half as much as she did two years ago, this is very good news and shows improvement. She is probably hitting the ball more cleanly now.

ethebull
07-20-2011, 02:39 PM
She likes the older set up because she does better with lower tension. Not surprising, as 16L Alu power is a stiff string, especially for a young woman! She is also hitting more clean shots, and she's got a denser bed in the new racquet. Try your next string job at 46 to 50 and see how she likes it. The lower tension will last a touch longer, and will be kinder to her young arm.

Tennis Is Magic
07-20-2011, 05:13 PM
By and large, Dunlops are more flexible than Wilsons. She may have a preference toward crisper feeling racquets.

If she is breaking strings half as much as she did two years ago, this is very good news and shows improvement. She is probably hitting the ball more cleanly now.

I don't understand the logic behind that. I break strings a lot more than I did when I was younger, as I wasn't hitting as hard as I do now, or with as much spin. I used to break strings every few months, now I break them every few days. Are you referring to breaking strings in the center of the racquet, or shears and shanks?

mixedmedia
07-20-2011, 06:19 PM
I think MuscleWeave is talking about the breaking of strings that occurs with mis-hits. Theoretically, if one were to improve his/her stroke without hitting harder, he/she should break less strings, right?

MuscleWeave
07-20-2011, 06:38 PM
I don't understand the logic behind that. I break strings a lot more than I did when I was younger, as I wasn't hitting as hard as I do now, or with as much spin. I used to break strings every few months, now I break them every few days. Are you referring to breaking strings in the center of the racquet, or shears and shanks?

I think I need a graph for this. But I don't know how. Let's just say that she was hitting an unclean ball two years ago and so were you. But she was breaking strings and you were not. She developed towards hitting a cleaner ball and maybe a faster one. But cleaner and less string breaking. Let's say that you also started hitting a faster ball, but not cleaner, thus breaking more strings than she does. Do you see the four variables at work here?

I understand that there are other variables here. Maybe she's a flat hitter and got better at that. I also cooked up some other assumptions. Go figure.

va56
07-21-2011, 02:07 AM
Thank you! I would never guess :) !
Yes she is playing much better/cleaner now.
But at least I guessed about lower tension :). And yes – we have demoed 12-15 racquets before converting to Wilson BLX Pro Open – she said – it fills exactly the way it should be.
Thank you!

va56
07-21-2011, 02:14 AM
And yes – she hits flat enough

MuscleWeave
07-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Thank you! I would never guess :) !
Yes she is playing much better/cleaner now.
But at least I guessed about lower tension :). And yes we have demoed 12-15 racquets before converting to Wilson BLX Pro Open she said it fills exactly the way it should be.
Thank you!

You are very welcome.