PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a setup that lasts more than 5 sets?

obtn
07-20-2011, 07:41 AM
Hi everyone, I've been lurking on this sub-forum for a while in hopes to help find a string setup that I like and will last, but I haven't found one yet so I thought I would just ask directly.

Here's my problem: I cannot find a string setup that doesn't die or break after about 5 sets of play, that is reasonably cost effective.

For reference only, I am a mid/high 4.0 player, power baseline game.

If I could get a setup that lasts me 8 sets, or roughly 4 matches, I would be happy with that and willing to restring after that amount of time.

Here are some setups I tried and their results for me:

Dunlop Juice 17G - Full Bed - My favorite poly so far when freshly strung, next to maybe RPM Blast, but lasts a bit longer and has less of a sharp drop-off in performance. Still gets pretty dead after 5-6 sets for me.
Wilson Natural Gut 17 / Tecnifibre Black Code 17 - Tried this both ways (gut in mains and crosses), liked the gut in mains better and actually this setup lasted me about 4-5 matches, but it's just too damn expensive.
NXT 17 / Dunlop Juice 17 - Liked this setup a lot, especially with the NXT in the mains, but it broke after 5 short sets. With the NXT in the crosses, it lasted about 6 sets before being so frayed I had to cut it out for fear of breakage.
Alien 16G - Full Bed - Hated this string, might just be because it's 16G.
Tecnifibre X-Code - Full Bed - This string felt decent (not awesome, but ok) for about 5 sets, then died as the outer part of the string started coming off.

I will add others if I can think of them or as I try them out.

Things to note: I don't really like 16G string at all, I prefer 17G. I have thought about, however, stringing a 16G multi with a 17G poly in hopes for better durability, but I'm not sure I'll like this. I have a pack waiting to be strung that is like this, that's my next test.

I'd like to find a string setup that I like so I can buy a couple reels of string and not have to keep buying individual packs. I've been trying different strings out for a couple months now, haha...

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I play with a Blade BLX 98, and string fairly low tension, 50-53 lbs.

mikeler
07-20-2011, 07:52 AM
I've been using Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge 17 mains with various multis. That setup gives me over 10 hours of play. I don't notice the poly going dead either.

drgchen
07-20-2011, 02:19 PM
I often string with NXT OS in a midsize racquet just because it seems to hold tension and last longer than the regular NXT.

I often leave a full bed of luxilon original or alu power in my racquet for a long time. I don't notice it going dead- but maybe it is dead to start with because I often string at 60 and leave it for a month or two.

People have been talking about the Tourna big hitter blue and big hitter blue rough as a slightly longer lasting, more economic alternative to Luxilon- my partner likes it, I have yet to try it in my racquet.

obtn
07-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far, I will definitely give these a try!

ethebull
07-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Consider trying a bit heavier gauge poly in the mains that offers good power and tension maintenance, like WC Scorpion 16L (1.2eight) You can combine this with a 17 cross that is also known for great tension maintenance. (SPPP, WC Scorp, WC SS...) You might have to drop the tension a pound or two, but perhaps not.

dingo
07-20-2011, 02:52 PM
gosen polylon ice 16

Backhanded Compliment
07-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Yup Weiscannon options like B5E

take a look at Vokl Cyclone 17 or 16... it lasts and lasts... and lasts

annnnnnnnnnn Laaaaaasts

Tennis Is Magic
07-20-2011, 07:51 PM
gosen polylon ice 16

I second this. Polylon stiffens up after the first 30 minutes and it doesn't change a bit after that. It's really a good string, especially for the price.

obtn
07-20-2011, 09:22 PM
I've been using Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge 17 mains with various multis. That setup gives me over 10 hours of play. I don't notice the poly going dead either.

Do you have a suggestion for a multi that has good feel and is durable enough to get me 10 hours? The NXT I used was well frayed by the 6-7 hour mark.

sepidoel
07-20-2011, 09:55 PM
You may try this to help your string stay alive: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=389100

NLBwell
07-20-2011, 10:33 PM
NXT Max lasts a lot longer than regular NXT. I believe it is a 16g, though.

DeShaun
07-21-2011, 12:10 AM
You might just have to go with a full bed of natural gut if you really want consistent playability over four matches with no dropoff. It may seem more expensive at first, but then, you will certainly get more than four matches of playability out of a full bed of gut. You might like it tensioned right around 59# but you might also have to change your game around depending on the degree to which it may be reliant on creating the kinds of angles that topspin makes available...but if you are a power baseliner and you catch anything closely resembling a sniff at a short ball and your opponent is hanging back, you will probably love the gut for the drop shots and transition volleys that it readily helps you create, and of course it is also the most powerful string so, if you can get used to flat ball hitting, depth of shot should not be a problem.

fortun8son
07-21-2011, 01:09 AM
Natural gut is the only string that will give consistent, high level performance until it's hanging by a thread.
Polys go dead, Multis fray quickly, and syngut snaps.
You could try a Kevlar blend, but if it hurts-Dump it!

Boricua
07-21-2011, 04:47 AM
I second this. Polylon stiffens up after the first 30 minutes and it doesn't change a bit after that. It's really a good string, especially for the price.

Im stringing one of my rackets with Polynon Polybreak. Its described as having that sea island string form or shape that intrigues me. Ill see how goes.and report if its good.

Boricua
07-21-2011, 04:50 AM
You might just have to go with a full bed of natural gut if you really want consistent playability over four matches with no dropoff. It may seem more expensive at first, but then, you will certainly get more than four matches of playability out of a full bed of gut. You might like it tensioned right around 59# but you might also have to change your game around depending on the degree to which it may be reliant on creating the kinds of angles that topspin makes available...but if you are a power baseliner and you catch anything closely resembling a sniff at a short ball and your opponent is hanging back, you will probably love the gut for the drop shots and transition volleys that it readily helps you create, and of course it is also the most powerful string so, if you can get used to flat ball hitting, depth of shot should not be a problem.

I am giving some polys and poly hybrIds a chance for the coming month or so. If it doesnt work out Ill go for a hybrid of poly mains. I hate inconsistent stringbeds.Its more than enough with my inconsistent hitting strokes:)

mikeler
07-21-2011, 05:57 AM
Do you have a suggestion for a multi that has good feel and is durable enough to get me 10 hours? The NXT I used was well frayed by the 6-7 hour mark.

I've been getting over 10 hours with several multis. My guess is that NXT will last longer as just a cross string. Even Mantis Comfort Synthetic which only gives me typically 5 hours as a full job lasts double that as a cross string.

obtn
07-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I will give some of these a try and hopefully find something that works. At least I have somewhere to start now, I was running out of ideas. :)

Rogael Naderer
07-21-2011, 10:53 AM
I've been getting over 10 hours with several multis. My guess is that NXT will last longer as just a cross string. Even Mantis Comfort Synthetic which only gives me typically 5 hours as a full job lasts double that as a cross string.

What multis were giving you more hours mikeler, what would you reccomend as a cross for Alu Power or Silverstring strung at 53 in a 95"?

I recently tried Alu Power 1.25mm mains with Technifibre Syn Gut 1.30mm crosses (53/53) and it was HORRID! It hurt my arm more than my usual setup of full Alu Power (53/50) and made the balls feel as if they were "flat." I reckon it was because the the Syn Gut is just a terrible string.

Would multi be better for me?

mikeler
07-21-2011, 12:52 PM
What multis were giving you more hours mikeler, what would you reccomend as a cross for Alu Power or Silverstring strung at 53 in a 95"?

I recently tried Alu Power 1.25mm mains with Technifibre Syn Gut 1.30mm crosses (53/53) and it was HORRID! It hurt my arm more than my usual setup of full Alu Power (53/50) and made the balls feel as if they were "flat." I reckon it was because the the Syn Gut is just a terrible string.

Would multi be better for me?

A multi hybrid will be softer for your arm. It is surprising that the synthetic gut did not soften the string bed. I've never used that particular synthetic gut so maybe it is stiff.

Rogael Naderer
07-22-2011, 01:19 AM
A multi hybrid will be softer for your arm. It is surprising that the synthetic gut did not soften the string bed. I've never used that particular synthetic gut so maybe it is stiff.

Ad was I! It really wasn't a nice at all so I decided to limit my playtime with it and cut it out.

The TF synthetic gut felt very soft to the touch, but perhaps stiffened up alot during stringing.

I will try a higher quality multi next, still looking for value though. I've been considering Explosiv! from Weisscsnnon and MCS.

What are your thoughts?

Thnaks for the opinions your vast knowledge of strings soooo helpful!

fgs
07-22-2011, 05:10 AM
out of the mcs as a cross string i get some 7 playing hours until it breaks. i'm quite a heavy topspinner, and playing on clay, so that basically is already quite a decent durability for a string with those wonderful characteristics. because i'm too lazy to string up that often, i have tried the mantis power synthetic as a cross string and was surprised to get to around 10-12 hours, even of quite heavy hitting.
there are some trade-offs, most notably in touch, but in my personal opinion it is worth the while. i even get a little bit better spin and control out of this combo and it does last quite a lot longer. the difference in touch is not that dramatic on the other hand.
the power syn is not a true multi, it is rather a syn gut with a solid core and some outer wraps and it will not start fraying. what i have never experienced in my 40 years of tennis is that there is a dramatic diameter reduction with this string, before it breaks it really wears down to almost 30% and this without losing it's playability. don't get me wrong - it is not natty gut, but so far the only strings where i had a similar experience is natty gut, which plays well even when diameter reduction ("hanging in the last strand") is 90% or more.
give it a try and string about 1-2lbs less than you would with a true multi like mcs for instance.

Rogael Naderer
07-22-2011, 09:18 AM
out of the mcs as a cross string i get some 7 playing hours until it breaks. i'm quite a heavy topspinner, and playing on clay, so that basically is already quite a decent durability for a string with those wonderful characteristics. because i'm too lazy to string up that often, i have tried the mantis power synthetic as a cross string and was surprised to get to around 10-12 hours, even of quite heavy hitting.
there are some trade-offs, most notably in touch, but in my personal opinion it is worth the while. i even get a little bit better spin and control out of this combo and it does last quite a lot longer. the difference in touch is not that dramatic on the other hand.
the power syn is not a true multi, it is rather a syn gut with a solid core and some outer wraps and it will not start fraying. what i have never experienced in my 40 years of tennis is that there is a dramatic diameter reduction with this string, before it breaks it really wears down to almost 30% and this without losing it's playability. don't get me wrong - it is not natty gut, but so far the only strings where i had a similar experience is natty gut, which plays well even when diameter reduction ("hanging in the last strand") is 90% or more.
give it a try and string about 1-2lbs less than you would with a true multi like mcs for instance.

Thanks for that comparison, I may try MPS as a cross for Silverstring strung at:

SS M:53lbs MPS C:51lbs

fgs
07-22-2011, 10:08 AM
i have not played any weiss-cannon strings yet, so i can't tell you how it blends with silverstring.
it blends really well with mantis power polyester, polyfibre black venom rough, kirschbaum competition, luxilon adrenaline for instance.
the only one that for me was in the long run too stiff was the adrenaline, where i wished i would have the mcs in the crosses - the touch is much better in that combination, but mainly because the lux is so stiff. the 1.20 adrenaline was ok with the power syn as well, but obviously durability was rather low (8 hitting hours) as compared to the 1.25 (11 hitting hours with the mps!).

mikeler
07-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Ad was I! It really wasn't a nice at all so I decided to limit my playtime with it and cut it out.

The TF synthetic gut felt very soft to the touch, but perhaps stiffened up alot during stringing.

I will try a higher quality multi next, still looking for value though. I've been considering Explosiv! from Weisscsnnon and MCS.

What are your thoughts?

Thnaks for the opinions your vast knowledge of strings soooo helpful!

Explosiv seems very similar to MCS but perhaps a little thicker and not quite as soft. My guess is that it will have better durability. I just tried out the Genesis Thunder Blast multi last night as a cross with B5E mains and the setup was fantastic to hit with.

Rogael Naderer
07-23-2011, 04:22 AM
Explosiv seems very similar to MCS but perhaps a little thicker and not quite as soft. My guess is that it will have better durability. I just tried out the Genesis Thunder Blast multi last night as a cross with B5E mains and the setup was fantastic to hit with.

What would you recommend as a cross out of MPS, MCS and Explosiv?

I string Alu/Silverstring at 53lbsM 50lbsX and want a little more pop and playability when the poly loses its va va voom.

Many thanks as always.