PDA

View Full Version : My Black Magic Hybrid Experiment

Power Player
07-20-2011, 06:59 AM
My favorite poly is Black Magic. It retains playabilty for a long time and is very soft for a poly. So I am searching for the ultimate cross string to hybrid it with in my PK 7G. My target tension is around 56 to 58#s.

First up is 16 gauge gosen OG Sheep Micro.

Right off the bat, I knew this was an easy go to setup. Awesome feel, great feedback and decent spin. This setup surprised me and has lasted 8 hours before snapping. Ironically, the Black Magic went first but the OGSM was on it's way as well. This durability may be due to the tighter pattern in the sweet spot area of the racquet, which I prefer. If you have a more open pattern racquet, I would expect to get 4-6 hours instead of 8-10.

Cons are that around 6 hour mark, the setup gets a little mushy and drops tension about 10 pounds. The spin potential is average. I generate my own spin so this setup was sufficient. My last session I purposely hit flatter balls at the opponent for a bit before dialing up a little more spin. Once I went more low to high the spin was still there and threw off his timing a lot for easy mishit errors. I would rate the spin production about a 6/10.

All in all, this is an easy go to hybrid setup that will cost you around $6.

I have now strung up Dunlop Hexy Fibre as my next cross. It is strung up at 58#s and that will be my next playtest.

My 2nd racquet will be strung up with Mantis comfort a little lower at 56#s. I will have that one ready to play next to the Hexy Fibre in a multi cross showdown.

ethebull
07-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Try SPPP 1.18 at the same tension as your mains, but because it will be full poly, drop them both a touch. A thin poly with good tension maintenance provides great consistency. Better than any nylon I've tried - and Ive tried a bunch! The thinner gauge will soften the string bed and you won't have early notching of the syn gut spoiling the party.

Power Player
07-21-2011, 05:49 AM
I do not want to go full poly. As much as I like SPPP, it is more stiff than a syn gut. I can't do full poly beds.

I had Hexi Fibre in last night. It moves a little and that is not good. I may just need to raise the tension, so I am going to string up my second racquet with it as well.

I will say that the comfort level is quite high and there is a very crisp response when hitting the string bed. I notice a difference in comfort between the syn gut and hexi.

Concerned that this string may not last very long at all..I am talking 4-6 hours max. The OG Sheep Micro gives me 10 hours with no string movement.

Going to give it plenty more time though..the feedback is nice, and the comfort is excellent.

parasailing
07-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Power Player - What other polys have you tried that are soft and offer great tension maintenance?

So far, I like WC Scorpion in the crosses with my VS main setup but will be getting Black Magic to do a comparison test.

Have you consider using VS mains instead?

kslick
07-21-2011, 09:16 AM
My favorite poly is Black Magic. It retains playabilty for a long time and is very soft for a poly. So I am searching for the ultimate cross string to hybrid it with in my PK 7G. My target tension is around 56 to 58#s.

First up is 16 gauge gosen OG Sheep Micro.

Right off the bat, I knew this was an easy go to setup. Awesome feel, great feedback and decent spin. This setup surprised me and has lasted 8 hours before snapping. Ironically, the Black Magic went first but the OGSM was on it's way as well. This durability may be due to the tighter pattern in the sweet spot area of the racquet, which I prefer. If you have a more open pattern racquet, I would expect to get 4-6 hours instead of 8-10.

Cons are that around 6 hour mark, the setup gets a little mushy and drops tension about 10 pounds. The spin potential is average. I generate my own spin so this setup was sufficient. My last session I purposely hit flatter balls at the opponent for a bit before dialing up a little more spin. Once I went more low to high the spin was still there and threw off his timing a lot for easy mishit errors. I would rate the spin production about a 6/10.

All in all, this is an easy go to hybrid setup that will cost you around $6.

I have now strung up Dunlop Hexy Fibre as my next cross. It is strung up at 58#s and that will be my next playtest.

My 2nd racquet will be strung up with Mantis comfort a little lower at 56#s. I will have that one ready to play next to the Hexy Fibre in a multi cross showdown.

I'm right there with you as in BM is my favorite poly. I tried out B5E, liked it but I'm sticking with BM. I've used it in a full bed with no issues but I'll be going back and forth using a hybrid (looking long term health wise). I have a reel of OGSM (which I've used and like). Also just picked up Genesis's new syn gut Blizzard and will try it out this weekend.

So interested in hearing your thoughts as you experiment.

mikeler
07-21-2011, 09:40 AM
I do not want to go full poly. As much as I like SPPP, it is more stiff than a syn gut. I can't do full poly beds.

I had Hexi Fibre in last night. It moves a little and that is not good. I may just need to raise the tension, so I am going to string up my second racquet with it as well.

I will say that the comfort level is quite high and there is a very crisp response when hitting the string bed. I notice a difference in comfort between the syn gut and hexi.

Concerned that this string may not last very long at all..I am talking 4-6 hours max. The OG Sheep Micro gives me 10 hours with no string movement.

Going to give it plenty more time though..the feedback is nice, and the comfort is excellent.

With regards to durability, I've got 7 sets on my B5E/Hexy setup. I'm definitely noticing some weak areas in the Hexy. So getting 4-6 hours in hitting sessions would not surprise me.

Maroon_Tenniskid
07-21-2011, 10:33 AM

Have you ever tried Weiss Cannon Black5Edge? If you did, why do you like Black magic better? Does Black magic have a lot of power kind of like a multi?

Power Player
07-21-2011, 10:40 AM
I like Black Magic better because it is softer and less expensive. It does not have multi power, it is just an incredibly awesome poly that is nice on the arm.

I really like B5E as well, but I personally did not notice a huge benefit or justification in paying so much more.

Parasailing, VS mains is an awesome idea, but I will burn through gut way too fast the way I hit. It is also insanely humid out here right now, and not even the most modern gut string deserves that kind of treatment.

Kslick, Blizzard sounds like an awesome string for me to add to the cross testing. Good call!!

JackB1
07-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Landon....I also love Black Magic. You can't beat it for the price.
It's one of the most powerful poly's I have ever tried and it's also very soft. I use BM as a cross with nat gut mains.

Since your hybrid is BM mains, the cross doesn't matter so much. I would think OG Micro would be a solid choice. Since you are a hard hitter, if you want to go softer to a multi, I would recommend going to 16 guage and look for multi's known for durability. How about Rip Control or Mantis Comfort Syn?

Power Player
07-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Mantis Comfort is getting strung up tonight ;)

you are right, the cross does not matter too much, but I do notice a difference in softness between the multi and the syngut. That being said, I seem to prefer the response of the syngut, so far, but the experiment continues.

I have ordered the new Genesis SynGut in Black.

Sticks will be crossed with same type of string for most accurate comparison, and the best Multi will take on the best Syn Gut for the ultimate prize - my money.

Fedace
07-21-2011, 11:07 AM
What about X-1 biphase ?? you would think that would work ? I don't think very soft multi would go well with black magic.

Power Player
07-21-2011, 11:22 AM
x1 would probably work great, I just don't feel like shelling out the dough. Wonder if there is a less expensive "copy" of it.

And you may well be right that a soft multi simply will not last that long with Black Magic.

mikeler
07-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Genesis also just came out with a new multi called Thunder Blast. I was sent a set to playtest which I'll do tonight with B5E mains. Cross strings DO make a difference just not near as much as the mains.

kslick
07-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Genesis also just came out with a new multi called Thunder Blast. I was sent a set to playtest which I'll do tonight with B5E mains. Cross strings DO make a difference just not near as much as the mains.

Saw that as well. I guess it has a rough texture? you'll have to let us know how it works out.

JackB1
07-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Mantis Comfort is getting strung up tonight ;)

you are right, the cross does not matter too much, but I do notice a difference in softness between the multi and the syngut. That being said, I seem to prefer the response of the syngut, so far, but the experiment continues.

I have ordered the new Genesis SynGut in Black.

Sticks will be crossed with same type of string for most accurate comparison, and the best Multi will take on the best Syn Gut for the ultimate prize - my money.

Mantis Comfort is low powered, so adjust accordingly.

mikeler
07-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Saw that as well. I guess it has a rough texture? you'll have to let us know how it works out.

Yes, it is very droopy with a rough texture. Reminds me a little of a rough Babolat Xcel stringing it up.

Fedace
07-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Is there a multi that is BETTER than the X-1 biphase ?? that works well with polys like BM. If the cost didn't matter.

pvaudio
07-21-2011, 07:34 PM
I take NRG2 and Multifeel any day of the week over X-1. It's just too unpredictable.

drakulie
07-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Gosen OG Micro is a very underrated string. It works great in hybrids, does what it is intended to do, and is inexpensive. Way overlooked when looking for a nice synthetic to pair up with a poly in a hybrid setup.

Fedace
07-21-2011, 07:54 PM
I take NRG2 and Multifeel any day of the week over X-1. It's just too unpredictable.

I agree so much with X-1 being unpredictable. NRG2 gets too mushy in Summer with hot and humid condition. but never tried Multifeel. who makes that ?? and how does it compare in Power to X-1 biphase ???

Fedace
07-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Gosen OG Micro is a very underrated string. It works great in hybrids, does what it is intended to do, and is inexpensive. Way overlooked when looking for a nice synthetic to pair up with a poly in a hybrid setup.

what is it intended to do ??? to me Multi is supposed to give me that Extra Power when i need it when full Poly job can't provide it. While maintaining just good of control.
To me that is the purpose of the Multi hybrid.

drakulie
07-21-2011, 08:04 PM
^^^^soften up the string bed, provide a pit more pop and liveliness, while providing more comfort.

mel
07-21-2011, 08:16 PM
I actually think BM is soft enough to use in a full bed without having to counter with a softer gut/multi. I have a streaky shoulder and dropped BM in tension to the upper 40's. I found this approach to be healthier on my arm without having to sacrifice my style of play or all the incomparable nuances of a full poly setup.

OP, try dropping tension in a full bed of BM or maybe just the crosses to see what kind of results you get. BM is a very workable string and behaves well along the tension spectrum. To me I love it because it doesn't do one thing exceptionally well, but rather just about everything consistently good enough.

Fedace
07-22-2011, 02:13 AM
^^^^soften up the string bed, provide a pit more pop and liveliness, while providing more comfort.

does OG micro have good power?

Tennis Is Magic
07-22-2011, 02:36 AM

It's low-powered for a syn gut.

mel
07-22-2011, 04:10 AM

Disagreed. On its own I think OG Micro Sheep can be powerful because of its high elasticity. Plus, it loses tension fast so you have to tension up a bit to tame some of that power. Like others have said, it's best in hybrid form as a cross for softening up a bed with poly mains and provide a little boost.

JackB1
07-22-2011, 05:21 AM
Disagreed. On its own I think OG Micro Sheep can be powerful because of its high elasticity. Plus, it loses tension fast so you have to tension up a bit to tame some of that power. Like others have said, it's best in hybrid form as a cross for softening up a bed with poly mains and provide a little boost.

^^^^^

agreed

JackB1
07-22-2011, 05:23 AM
what is it intended to do ??? to me Multi is supposed to give me that Extra Power when i need it when full Poly job can't provide it. While maintaining just good of control.
To me that is the purpose of the Multi hybrid.

multis cost way more than synguts and will break quicker too. That's the advantage of syngut as a cross over multi

JackB1
07-22-2011, 05:24 AM
I agree so much with X-1 being unpredictable. NRG2 gets too mushy in Summer with hot and humid condition. but never tried Multifeel. who makes that ?? and how does it compare in Power to X-1 biphase ???

Multifeel is crisper feeling than X1 and is lower powered also. It also doesn't last as long. That's why it's cheaper.

JackB1
07-22-2011, 05:26 AM

Hey Drak...do all the different colors of Micro play the same? Or is it best to stick with natural?

Power Player
07-22-2011, 05:30 AM
I also agree with Mel. OGSM is not low powered at all to me.

I am already leaning towards the OGSM. The tension loss is 10 pounds until breakage, and that is pretty good to me. Hexi Fibre combo has already lost 12 pounds after 2 hours. I also am not into the string movement. But I do like the comfort level.

Planning to do the Mantis comfort tonight 2 pounds lower. I think the Hexi will break rather soon, and that will be just in time for the Genesis Blizzard to show up at my door.

That is actually a good question Jack and I am interested in the answer since it would be cool to use white OGSM.

The other wildcard that I have to go back and check out is my beloved Wilson stamina. Another excellent cross. It's been a while, but I have always loved it.. I just am not sure if it plays stiffer than OGSM.

Fedace
07-23-2011, 09:15 PM
I need a Multi that is as Powerful as X-1 biphase but with just as good of control as natural gut. is there such a thing ?

parasailing
07-23-2011, 11:11 PM
I need a Multi that is as Powerful as X-1 biphase but with just as good of control as natural gut. is there such a thing ?

Closest is probably Laserfibre SNPSG, good luck trying to buy it.

Fedace
07-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Closest is probably Laserfibre SNPSG, good luck trying to buy it.

why do you say that ?? is it still in market ?

parasailing
07-24-2011, 03:38 PM
why do you say that ?? is it still in market ?

While it's the best, if you try to buy it from Laserfibre, you will either get a fake one or they won't send it to you. It's really sad that such a great multi based on what others have said is no longer available for purchase.

Fedace
07-24-2011, 06:57 PM
While it's the best, if you try to buy it from Laserfibre, you will either get a fake one or they won't send it to you. It's really sad that such a great multi based on what others have said is no longer available for purchase.

what if you buy their latest flagship multi string ? Maybe it is just as good ?

Power Player
07-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Fedace, go google Laserfibre customer service, or don't if you want to keep trolling the thread.

I have MCS at 56#s and HexiFibre as well in my backup. Comparisons will be done this week.

dozu
07-25-2011, 09:18 AM

it's frame dependent.

years ago I put it on a flex 59 frame and felt it was stiff and low powered... recently I have it on a stiffer frame, and it really shines.

since PP is using it on a 66 flex 7G, I suspect he is getting good pop from it.

the power of the string comes from it's deflection at impact, but also, how that deflection work in synergy with the deflection of the frame.... stiff frame works better with crisp strings.

Power Player
07-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Yes I get great pop from it and perfect feel. Synthetic gut has a feel to it that really enhances your racquet in a hyrbid...IMO.

Another go to setup that I may have to try again is the BAM mains and synth gut crosses. It is so good...it has been so long I don't remember if BAM if as soft as BM, but I suspect not. BAM is so thin though that it just may have even more comfort.

Power Player
07-28-2011, 06:41 AM
Here is the update.

The Hexy Fibre is not a worthy cross. It moves too much and drops tension (over 10 pounds) way too fast for me. Still provides a nice feel, but nothing substantial that makes me want to committ to it.

The Mantis Comfort is an incredible multi. I have to say it has impressed me a lot. The feel is not as crispy, but it is fantastic, and very gutlike. Tension maintenance is acceptable. The deal killer is string movement and price.

Synth Gut just seems like a better match in a hybrid. It does not move and gives me a more consistent string bed.

That being said, I have 20 feet of MCS left and I am definitely using it again. It is just too good in terms of feel. I will A/B it against it the Genesis Lightning synth gut.

Tennis Is Magic
07-28-2011, 06:53 AM

^^^^^

agreed

I also agree with Mel. OGSM is not low powered at all to me.

I am already leaning towards the OGSM. The tension loss is 10 pounds until breakage, and that is pretty good to me. Hexi Fibre combo has already lost 12 pounds after 2 hours. I also am not into the string movement. But I do like the comfort level.

Planning to do the Mantis comfort tonight 2 pounds lower. I think the Hexi will break rather soon, and that will be just in time for the Genesis Blizzard to show up at my door.

That is actually a good question Jack and I am interested in the answer since it would be cool to use white OGSM.

The other wildcard that I have to go back and check out is my beloved Wilson stamina. Another excellent cross. It's been a while, but I have always loved it.. I just am not sure if it plays stiffer than OGSM.

Where did I say it was low-powered compared to all strings? I said it was low powered compared to other SYN GUT, which it is.

JackB1
07-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Here is the update.

The Hexy Fibre is not a worthy cross. It moves too much and drops tension (over 10 pounds) way too fast for me. Still provides a nice feel, but nothing substantial that makes me want to committ to it.

The Mantis Comfort is an incredible multi. I have to say it has impressed me a lot. The feel is not as crispy, but it is fantastic, and very gutlike. Tension maintenance is acceptable. The deal killer is string movement and price.

Synth Gut just seems like a better match in a hybrid. It does not move and gives me a more consistent string bed.

That being said, I have 20 feet of MCS left and I am definitely using it again. It is just too good in terms of feel. I will A/B it against it the Genesis Lightning synth gut.

Did u find the Mantis Comfort low powered? I thought it was one of the lowest powered multi's around...which might be a plus for some.

dozu
07-28-2011, 06:54 AM
PP questions for you - how do you measure the tension? what was the tension that OGSM was strung at?

I was wondering if the tension measurement follows some sort of hockey stick curve, where the tension flattens out after the initial loss... I had to cut OGSM mains after 4.5 hours.... but if it does flatten out, I might just string it higher initially.

Stamina - I used it in the mains @57 for about an hour... it's somewhat in between OGSM white and OGSM natural... no idea about tension holding yet.

Power Player
07-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Jack, I did find the Mantis low powered, but I liked that.

Magicman -Personally I do not find OGSM low powered for a syn gut and I think everyone understood that was what you said in the original post you made.

Dozu - I use the racquettune app on my ipad to measure tension. It is quite accurate as a reference.

I string OGSM at 58 and I may take it up to 60 and keep the BM at 56.

In my experience there is the initial tension loss and then we see if the string stays after that. The good ones do. Full Black Magic and b5e dropped 6-8 pounds and then held until death.

OGSM seems to do the same, and then will break before I get to see what happens next..I still get more durability from the synth gut setups than the multis.

Hewex
08-01-2011, 05:35 AM
I'm right there with you as in BM is my favorite poly. I tried out B5E, liked it but I'm sticking with BM. I've used it in a full bed with no issues but I'll be going back and forth using a hybrid (looking long term health wise). I have a reel of OGSM (which I've used and like). Also just picked up Genesis's new syn gut Blizzard and will try it out this weekend.

So interested in hearing your thoughts as you experiment.

Love this string. Easy on the arm and amazing spin.

Power Player
08-01-2011, 06:04 AM
The Blizzard is up next.

I am going to do 1 stick with Blizzard crosses and 1 with MCS again to compare feel..durability..etc.

Power Player
08-03-2011, 11:59 AM
The winner of my multi cross experiment is MCS.

If you are a hard hitter needing comfort, this string is an incredible cross in a tighter patterned stick.

The durability is better than I expected. I thought for sure it would go a lot faster than it did, but it lasted in the crosses for 10 hours. I also had excellent tension maintenance.

Some of this I believe is due to the Black Magic. It is an excellent poly to hybrid with because it does not saw through the crosses and simply notches more instead.

JackB1
08-03-2011, 12:02 PM
The winner of my multi cross experiment is MCS.

If you are a hard hitter needing comfort, this string is an incredible cross in a tighter patterned stick.

The durability is better than I expected. I thought for sure it would go a lot faster than it did, but it lasted in the crosses for 10 hours. I also had excellent tension maintenance.

Some of this I believe is due to the Black Magic. It is an excellent poly to hybrid with because it does not saw through the crosses and simply notches more instead.

That sounds like a good combo because BM is very powerful for a poly and MCS is low powered for a multi, but soft, so the 2 together probably equal a medium overall power level.

Power Player
08-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Yes. I have a powerful racquet so this setup mimics full poly quite well in terms of control.

The spin is not as heavy as the setup, but it is acceptable.

The feel is extremely plush and easy on the arm.

The total price is less than $8.

Power Player
08-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Do to the quality reviews, I will add Babolat N.Vy to the list as well.

mikeler
08-05-2011, 04:53 AM
The one thing I like about MCS as a cross, is it forces you to restring when it breaks. I'm currently at 13 sets with Genesis Thunder Blast and the multi shows no signs that it will break anytime soon.

Fedace
08-05-2011, 05:01 AM
Black magic was Failed experiment for me. 55 lbs hybrid with X-1 biphase. It had NO power. Made RPM blast feel like power string.
but amazing control though but with average spin. Less spin than Proline 2 for sure.
Not sure stringing it at lower tension will change the picture much ???????????
but Definitely NOT in the league with RPM blast or Proline2 at 55 lbs.

Power Player
08-05-2011, 05:33 AM
BM has no power? That's weird.

I hated PLII for the price. Love BM.

I think it matters the racquet as well.

dozu
08-05-2011, 05:40 AM
seems the more crisp a poly, the shorter it lasts.... I was truely wow'ed by PL2 for an hour when it showed explosive power on the MGPP frame.... only to be surprised again by how dead it was afterwards.

mikeler
08-05-2011, 07:12 AM
BM has no power? That's weird.

I hated PLII for the price. Love BM.

I think it matters the racquet as well.

I thought BM was too powerful for me at 48. If I ever try it again, I'll definitely go up in tension.

Fedace
08-05-2011, 07:15 AM
I thought BM was too powerful for me at 48. If I ever try it again, I'll definitely go up in tension.

55 lbs, no power. maybe i should try 50 lbs. i was gonna toss the 1/2 set i have left but maybe i should give it 1 more chance. everyone deserves a 2nd chance ???:)

Power Player
08-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Ok I think I found my setup. This Genesis Blizzard is the real deal. I love it. I'm actually going to order a bunch and try it out in a full job as well. The pocketing feel you get when crossed with BM is awesome. It is a very comfortable syn gut that does not move much at all. I got plenty of spin today and was hitting lines under pressure in a match against a 4.0 pusher.

The starting tension was 57#s off the stringer. Tension loss was an acceptable 6 pounds after 2 hours of play. On a superficial note, the black looks killer in my racquet which is always a bonus.

As much as I am curious about n.vy, I am not sure if it will beat the blizzard at this price point. I am going to spend some time with it in both racquet, but I really felt like I could play my game out there with it.

dozu
08-06-2011, 06:02 PM
PP, how do you compare Blizzard to OGSM in terms of crispness and power level?

Power Player
08-06-2011, 06:28 PM
To me it is as good if not better. The thing I like is how good the feel is, and the playability is top notch. I need more time with it, but I was seriously impressed with this string.

Power Player
08-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Played sets for another 2 hours and the string is still holding tension for me right where it was. This is truly a great cross string. I am getting much better spin then with a multi, plus I can control the ball better and put it on a dime. The black slowly wears off and you can see where you are hitting the ball most, it is nice.

Feel, spin, tension maintenance and control are all awesome. I hope someone else tries this string. I had to go back to the Hexy fibre racquet for a bit to let my grip dry out and it was a sever disappointment.

Biggest difference I notice from OGSM is the Blizzard is more comfortable, and it has even better feel and feedback.

I just took out the Hexy fibre setup and strung my second stick with BM/Blizzard as well.

maxpotapov
08-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Biggest difference I notice from OGSM is the Blizzard is more comfortable, and it has even better feel and feedback.

Do you mean Blizzard is softer to the arm, more elastic/springy, does not go dead that fast or what?

And, off-topic question, did you have any experience with Iso-Speed Baseline?

mikeler
08-08-2011, 04:46 AM
Played sets for another 2 hours and the string is still holding tension for me right where it was. This is truly a great cross string. I am getting much better spin then with a multi, plus I can control the ball better and put it on a dime. The black slowly wears off and you can see where you are hitting the ball most, it is nice.

Feel, spin, tension maintenance and control are all awesome. I hope someone else tries this string. I had to go back to the Hexy fibre racquet for a bit to let my grip dry out and it was a sever disappointment.

I just took out the Hexy fibre setup and strung my second stick with BM/Blizzard as well.

This happens with Genesis Thunder Blast as well.

Power Player
08-08-2011, 05:30 AM
Do you mean Blizzard is softer to the arm, more elastic/springy, does not go dead that fast or what?

And, off-topic question, did you have any experience with Iso-Speed Baseline?

Blizzard is as soft as a stiffer multi. So I find it extremely comfortable. The pocketing is really what I like about it a lot. I am not sure how long it will last yet, I am at 4 hours of matchplay tennis.

I am just not a multi guy. I will only use them if my arm is screwed up. Syn Gut gives me much better spin and control. The only multi I really liked was MCS and I think that was because it was so low powered and had great feel. It still moved more than a syn gut.

For a cross string against BM, I am not sure if there is anything that will beat blizzard for me. It just had that feel and control I was missing right out of the bag. I also would rather settle into a setup and learn it inside and out because it will help my consistency. I am still making adjustments to my game after being out 2 months.

mikeler
08-08-2011, 06:10 AM
Is it making black marks on the ball? The Thunder Blast leaves black stripes on it.

maxpotapov
08-08-2011, 06:26 AM
Is it making black marks on the ball? The Thunder Blast leaves black stripes on it.

Wow! That's too bad, 'cause no one wants to play with dirty equipment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPwhMoQBg_8)...

Power Player
08-08-2011, 06:31 AM

Yes it definitely is. All black looks killer in the 7G. If you get in a crazy mood, give the Blizzard a look. Love to hear other people's opinions.

mikeler
08-08-2011, 07:08 AM
It's funny because every single one of my opponents has commented on the black ball streaks. The all black is pretty snazzy looking in the 7G. You can't even tell I'm using a hybrid unless you run your finger along the strings.

Power Player
08-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Yep same here. Opponent yesterday thought I was using "RPM blast". I was too lazy to get into it, but it definitely does not look like a hybrid.

Rogael Naderer
08-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Great thread, thanks for your comments on all the strings.

Eagerly awaiting the N.vy review...

What thickness poly/crosses are you using?

Thanks again.

Power Player
08-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks and good question.

For every string I used, the gauge was 1.30.

I honestly may not try NVy for a while just because I love this setup so much and want to get used to it in matches.

Power Player
08-18-2011, 06:47 AM
Ran out of Blizzard so I strung up an APDGT with gosen 16 as a cross.

This is still an excellent hybrid. Very comfortable, easy on your arm and gets massive spin.

BUT the Blizzard provides a better feel and even more spin.

I am still riding the Black Magic/Blizzard train because it is inexpensive, good on the joints, provides killer pocketing and feel, no string movement, and big time spin.

Also, I am not a rep for Genesis. I just enjoy this setup and the price point of under $7 a string job.

Maroon_Tenniskid
08-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Ran out of Blizzard so I strung up an APDGT with gosen 16 as a cross.

This is still an excellent hybrid. Very comfortable, easy on your arm and gets massive spin.

BUT the Blizzard provides a better feel and even more spin.

I am still riding the Black Magic/Blizzard train because it is inexpensive, good on the joints, provides killer pocketing and feel, no string movement, and big time spin.

Also, I am not a rep for Genesis. I just enjoy this setup and the price point of under $7 a string job.

So I'm about to run out of my OGSM16 reel. Would you recommend Blizzard as a good replacement? Do you think it would soften up the stiff feel of my racket (IG Speed)?

Power Player
08-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Yes I prefer it. Try a pack first just to make sure.

I'd love to hear someone else's opinion on it to be honest.