PDA

View Full Version : Racquets caos: help me!

oedem
07-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Hi guys,
there is high level of entropy on my mind!

I'm finding the right racquet for me but I don't know which one could be the best.
I play tennis from 8 years and I join tournament (about 3,5-4 ITR)

This is my raquet story: I began playing with a PD team (version before cortex one) that I changed to Prince O3 tour mp because I needed more control.
Then I changed again in MG radical pro because i wanted more stability.
All was ok but I tried a Volkl DNX 9 and I loved its feeling, zero vibration, "warm" impact!

But, in a confused period in which I play very very very bad, I decided to sell them and I bought 2 MG extreme pro looking for something simpler than german's racquets (but the only problem was my bad conditions and not the racquet)

Now I realize I don't like Extreme pro, I can't feel the ball, it seems to have a bazooka without control, with poly or multi

I tried these frames:
- BLX Blade: too difficult for me. I can use it only for an hour, then my arm was finished :)
- BLX Blade team: good, very simple to play with it but too light and a little unstable.
- Prince exo3 tour 16*19: low flex, I don't like this because It seems to break racquet on "flat serve" return
- Blx pro open: seems I can do everything enough good with it but it lacks something....I don't know what, seems to be "empty"
- Aeropro Drive (first version): it seems to be good but I have to test it again
- Pro kennex Ki5: good feeling but I have to test it in a match
- Head YT: I don't like feeling and impact about every raquet of this series
- Head IG Speed 300: not for me, zero feeling
- Babolat Pure drive Roddick: my arm told "save me!" :)

You could say "buy dnx 9 again!"
It is right but the only problem I had with volkl was the difficult to give spin on all shots.

Please, help me finding the right racquet!

fuzz nation
07-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Looks like you might have nailed it with the ProKennex Ki5. Keep in mind that a softer racquet will often feel like it also needs some more heft to have the authority and more snappy response that can be expected from a stiffer racquet that's not terribly heavy.

The Prince EXO3 Tour looks to me as though it's a bit light, given that it's also very soft. No surprise that it felt a little wimpy for you when trying to block some harder serves back across the net. I only get success with my Volkl C10's because they're 12.5 oz. and have enough of that stability to block the ball well. Although they're soft, they also have enough mass to be able to "tell" the ball where to go.

BobFL
07-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Hi guys,
there is high level of entropy on my mind!

Welcome to the club! :)

I will give you a couple of friendly advice :) Next time when:

1. you need more control ----------------> bump the tension up
2. you need more stability ---------------> install a few grams of lead tape

What I am saying here is - do not switch immediately to a different racquet. :)

dingo
07-20-2011, 02:43 PM
If the only reason you don't like the racket is because you can't put enough spin on the ball, you can rest assured this is not a racket's fault. I am virtually positive I can put any required amount of spin on the ball with any racket out there within first 30 min hitting with it. It's all in the technique. Racket and strings contribute maybe 10% variance to spin production. String tension has more to do with spin then either racket model or string brand. Even, then - the technique matters most. Learn to put spin on the ball using proper technique and keep your otherwise favorite racket. This would also solve another issue for you - endlessly searching for a "spin friendly" string. Once you have sound technique all strings will suddenly become "spin friendly":)

netguy
07-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Try the Volkl Organix 8

TheBoom
07-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Try the biomimetic 500 tour or either biomietic 300

oedem
07-21-2011, 01:19 AM
Looks like you might have nailed it with the ProKennex Ki5. Keep in mind that a softer racquet will often feel like it also needs some more heft to have the authority and more snappy response that can be expected from a stiffer racquet that's not terribly heavy.

The Prince EXO3 Tour looks to me as though it's a bit light, given that it's also very soft. No surprise that it felt a little wimpy for you when trying to block some harder serves back across the net. I only get success with my Volkl C10's because they're 12.5 oz. and have enough of that stability to block the ball well. Although they're soft, they also have enough mass to be able to "tell" the ball where to go.
about stiffness, it's strange how apd don't fell so bad in spite of its stiffnes while with extreme pro I can't fell the ball in every impact.
This is the main reason I would change it for.
However I can't choose something over 315gr unstrung

Welcome to the club!

I will give you a couple of friendly advice
Next time when:

1. you need more control ----------------> bump the tension up
2. you need more stability ---------------> install a few grams of lead tape

What I am saying here is - do not switch immediately to a different racquet. :)
It's a real thing....I made an error selling dnx9! :(

If the only reason you don't like the racket is because you can't put enough spin on the ball, you can rest assured this is not a racket's fault. I am virtually positive I can put any required amount of spin on the ball with any racket out there within first 30 min hitting with it. It's all in the technique. Racket and strings contribute maybe 10% variance to spin production. String tension has more to do with spin then either racket model or string brand. Even, then - the technique matters most. Learn to put spin on the ball using proper technique and keep your otherwise favorite racket. This would also solve another issue for you - endlessly searching for a "spin friendly" string. Once you have sound technique all strings will suddenly become "spin friendly":)
You are right!
I know it but, when suddenly you tennis makes worse without any reason (maybe only mental stress), the first thing many persons do is to change racquets, thinking it's the real problem.
So I did but then I realize my errors.

However now I'm not in feeling with this frame, this is a problem.

Try the Volkl Organix 8
what do you think about PB8?

Try the biomimetic 500 tour or either biomietic 300
I don't like Dunlop racquets and theirs head size's shape like a "drop"

p.s.: Sorry for my bad english :oops:

Shaochieh
07-21-2011, 02:04 AM
Take a Becker London out for a test. You can feel the ball, easy on the arm, powerful enough, and you can easily use soft poly in it.

oedem
07-21-2011, 03:09 AM
Shaichieh, it's impossible for me testing this BB.
Nobody sells it in Italy or Europe and TWH-Europe haven't it

Shaochieh
07-21-2011, 03:36 AM
Well I can help you with that if you like. I would be more than happy to let you hit my racket. I live in Germany and you only have to pay for shipping. Are you Italian or American living over there? Not the best way but I am more than happy to help. I can also able to acquire the reacket from TW USA and ship it to you without customs. Email me(funlin at hotmail dot com) if I can assist you in any way.

Rogael Naderer
07-21-2011, 03:39 AM
- Blx pro open: seems I can do everything enough good with it but it lacks something....I don't know what, seems to be "empty"

Could it be lacking a decent set of strings?

If the frame plays well and the feel is wrong you have to consider the effect of putting in quality strings (assuming this was a factory strung frame?).

retlod
07-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Try the Volkl Organix 8

Yep. Available now in a lighter version. Weightier version coming soon.

Try the biomimetic 500 tour...

Yep. I know Dunlops have a narrower head, but that makes them feel very stable.

oedem
07-29-2011, 05:08 AM
Well I can help you with that if you like. I would be more than happy to let you hit my racket. I live in Germany and you only have to pay for shipping. Are you Italian or American living over there? Not the best way but I am more than happy to help. I can also able to acquire the reacket from TW USA and ship it to you without customs. Email me(funlin at hotmail dot com) if I can assist you in any way.
you got an email ;)

Could it be lacking a decent set of strings?

If the frame plays well and the feel is wrong you have to consider the effect of putting in quality strings (assuming this was a factory strung frame?).
there was a cheap syn gut

Yep. Available now in a lighter version. Weightier version coming soon.

Yep. I know Dunlops have a narrower head, but that makes them feel very stable.
:confused:

Anyway I tried APD first version and it seems to be good....I will try it again

martin
07-29-2011, 05:13 AM
I've tried maybe fifty rackets before i finally found the perfect racket and that's the vantage.
You should make a choice between the bc30 or vt321.
Every other racket of another brand is simply not as good and that includes the APD.

heninfan99
07-29-2011, 05:22 AM
Yonex RDiS 100

suppawat
07-29-2011, 05:23 AM
Seem like FEEL is your first priority. Try Donnay X-Dual series. Based on your current Volkl racquet, Silver 99 and Gold 99 are good sticks to demo. They have zero hollow feel and minimal vibration even with stiff string.

dannymck
08-16-2011, 07:03 PM

Started playing again 1.5 years ago. My mens team won City and I played line 5's with a 10 year old Prince thunderstick. Just updated new Dunlop biomimetic 500 tour. More power our of the Dunlop, but. what you say is true. I can play just as good with either racquet after about 30 minutes. Prince Syn Gut Duraflex 16 gauge. Still want to play with strings some more.