PDA

View Full Version : What is the reason for wearing long socks?

dduazo
07-20-2011, 09:16 AM
I currently wear short socks, but most people i see playing wear socks that go up to their mid-lower calf. Is there any particular reason for this?

Also, doesn't it cause a strange tan line if you ever decide to wear shorts?

anhuynh16
07-20-2011, 09:33 AM
looks cooler-

vubenjamin
07-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Ankle socks look better imo

mixedmedia
07-20-2011, 09:38 AM
I wear long socks despite the aforementioned weird tan line. I choose to because I have yet to find shorter cut socks that provide the same blister protection. Some people i know wear them because "Good people wear long black socks."

DCaicedo
07-20-2011, 09:44 AM
matter of preference, really.

and I think you mean "crew socks" when you refer to "tall socks", and "quarter" or "no show" socks when you refer to "short socks"?

Maroon_Tenniskid
07-20-2011, 10:24 AM
I currently wear short socks, but most people i see playing wear socks that go up to their mid-lower calf. Is there any particular reason for this?

Also, doesn't it cause a strange tan line if you ever decide to wear shorts?

I think they make you feel more connected with your feet if that makes any sense at all haha, they also protect from blisters and look pretty pro especially if you got the skills to back it up.

mixedmedia
07-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Yup, and the only disadvantage I can think of is the tan line. But I would rather play better and endure that than the blisters that come with low-cut socks.

retlod
07-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Crew socks keep ankles warm, and warm ankles are harder to injure.

mixedmedia
07-20-2011, 11:33 AM
I hadn't heard that reason before, but they do offer a bit more support and warmth.

Nuke
07-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Well, in my case, it provides padding for the ankle braces.

shissncg
07-20-2011, 12:03 PM
For tennis purposes, men = long socks, women = short socks. Knee length socks (gender independent) only if you have the skills to back it up.

mikeler
07-20-2011, 12:07 PM

A thicker and longer sock is better for sore Achilles tendons.

BreakPoint
07-20-2011, 12:36 PM
For tennis purposes, men = long socks, women = short socks.
Exactly! The reason why women wear short socks is to show off their long, smooth, hairless legs. It's the same reason why they wear short shorts or short skirts.

If you're a man but still want to show off your long, smooth, hairless legs, in addition to short socks you should also be wearing short shorts. :shock: :) LOL

WildVolley
07-20-2011, 01:27 PM

Right now we are in the middle of summer and keeping your ankles warm isn't a problem.

I think it is just a matter of style for many, but many pros use longer socks to cover up how taped up their ankles are. I haven't had any problem with blisters, but if you do that might be a good reason to choose longer socks.

I wear both depending upon what is clean. And to BP, don't hate my long manly legs just because they're beautiful.:twisted:

weaselberry
07-20-2011, 01:59 PM
I don't care how hot it is, anklet socks are for women only. I have to think that roddick lost a bet to fish seeing as how now fish is dressed like a man now and roddick looks foolish. I do believe that roddick is the only guy in the top 100 that wears those silly looking things. Be proud of your tan line while your other friends are gaining 10 pounds a year with their pretty ankles. I play only on clay and I can't believe when guys or girls wear anklet socks. That's just too much clay getting inside your socks, aside from looking silly...

-wb

mixedmedia
07-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Agreed. Clay getting inside short socks is annoying; long socks help cut down on it. And the tan line lets you talk about how much you've been playing in the hot sun when people ask about it.

jwbarrientos
07-20-2011, 02:28 PM
with long socks you hit clean backhands :roll:

icarus180
07-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Because of Achilles and related calf issues, I've taken to wearing knee high compression socks. I'm sure it looks like I'm heading off to do some yodeling, but they seem to help.

Bobby Jr
07-20-2011, 06:18 PM
A thicker and longer sock is better for sore Achilles tendons.
Especially when warming up.... the amount of time's I've played somewhere cold and been thankful for crew socks when warming up - also for the support factor of them (even if it's mostly in your head).

I also don't think ankle socks look good at all for tennis. The shoes are quite big and most players wear long shorts... Mardy Fish looks weird to me when he wears short socks.

Bobby Jr
07-20-2011, 06:20 PM
If you're a man but still want to show off your long, smooth, hairless legs, in addition to short socks you should also be wearing short shorts. :shock: :) LOL
In that scenario you should also put a crew sock down the front of your shorts to really complete the look. :lol:

heycal
07-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Why would sock length affect blisters on the feet?

Can't think of a name
07-20-2011, 10:29 PM
For tennis purposes, men = long socks, women = short socks. Knee length socks (gender independent) only if you have the skills to back it up.

you'd need some MAD skills to back up knee high socks

corbind
07-21-2011, 12:33 AM
you'd need some MAD skills to back up knee high socks

+1 on that, and if a guy with knee highs destroyed me, I'd have to quit tennis. :evil:

Sentinel
07-21-2011, 12:39 AM
Long legs, maybe ?

G-12
07-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Long socks help you beat your opponent because you play better and you hit good seves like aces.

[ GTR ]
07-21-2011, 01:51 AM
In Australia we have synthetic grass courts which is covered in sand. A lot more sand goes into your shoes and feet without crew socks.

Same goes for clay courts.

tennytive
07-22-2011, 07:45 AM
^^^^^^^

Those are the only good reasons I can think of to wear long socks.

Otherwise it's like wearing a t shirt with sleeves that go down to your elbows.

adidasman
07-22-2011, 08:54 AM
I've always worn crew socks, but I fold the tops down the way John Newcombe used to; a few current pros (Nadal, for one) seem to wear theirs that way, too. I don't like having socks all the way up on my calves, but I can see how it might help by adding some compression to your lower legs the way compression shorts help your thighs and bum. I'm developing some varicose veins, though, so I may need to go longer at some point to help with that. But, to me, the ankle socks just look absurd on a guy - have you seen Agassi lately? That's how he wears his socks now, and he just looks stupid.

itsEr
07-22-2011, 09:12 AM
I started wearing crew socks because when I was playing tennis with no-show socks, the sweat from my legs would drip onto the back of my heel, and then my wet heel would rub weirdly around against the back of the shoe. I just didn't like the feeling, and realized higher socks would solve the problem, and that they did.
But like adidasman, I think ankle socks look completely stupid.
Also, for preventing clay from getting in your shoe as much is another reason.
However, I usually only use crew socks for a match; they're too much of a hassle to take off to wear for every practice- that's where the no-shows come in handy!

tennisnj
07-22-2011, 12:00 PM
I probably shouldn't wear long socks, since I'm short-statured, & the long socks just make me look shorter with today's longer shorts. I guess it's a subconscious thing. Maybe also because my ankles & feet are always cold no matter the temperature & I feel like I get more support from longer, thicker socks.

BreakPoint
07-22-2011, 12:07 PM
^^^^^^^

Those are the only good reasons I can think of to wear long socks.

Otherwise it's like wearing a t shirt with sleeves that go down to your elbows.
No, not the same at all. Wearing a T-shirt with long sleeves restricts movement. Crew socks do not restrict movement whatsoever.

tennytive
07-23-2011, 05:52 AM
I wear long sleeve t's in the cold weather, even a sweatshirt and or jacket in November and have no limited movement. Movement isn't an issue for socks or shirts for me whatsoever.

Anyone who likes to wear crew socks is fine…where I play there are 10 courts and just about everyone wears ankle length double thick socks, (white or black) so that's *normal* to me. In 90 plus weather I wish I could play with no socks. :)

Reilyx
07-23-2011, 08:11 AM
I wear long socks because a lot of times ankle socks will get pushed off my heal and wrinkle up underneath my foot making me have to stop every so often to fix it. I suppose I could just wear socks that covered my ankle and stopped soon after, but it's easier to just buy longer socks than that, and on the off chance I happen to play on clay, I'd rather have a longer sock so they might as well all be able to play on any surface rather than have 3 different lengths.

appdach96
07-23-2011, 09:14 AM
actually fish still wears no show socks with lots of tape which makes it look like long socks...just sayin

I don't care how hot it is, anklet socks are for women only. I have to think that roddick lost a bet to fish seeing as how now fish is dressed like a man now and roddick looks foolish. I do believe that roddick is the only guy in the top 100 that wears those silly looking things. Be proud of your tan line while your other friends are gaining 10 pounds a year with their pretty ankles. I play only on clay and I can't believe when guys or girls wear anklet socks. That's just too much clay getting inside your socks, aside from looking silly...

-wb

Maui19
07-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Boy there are some stupid reasons mentioned in this thread!

Carolina Racquet
07-23-2011, 05:56 PM
I've always worn crew socks, but I fold the tops down the way John Newcombe used to; a few current pros (Nadal, for one) seem to wear theirs that way, too. I don't like having socks all the way up on my calves, but I can see how it might help by adding some compression to your lower legs the way compression shorts help your thighs and bum. I'm developing some varicose veins, though, so I may need to go longer at some point to help with that. But, to me, the ankle socks just look absurd on a guy - have you seen Agassi lately? That's how he wears his socks now, and he just looks stupid.

I wear mine the same way... rolled down to 3/4 sock height and I completely agree Agassi looks hideous with his low socks. Helps with clay... etc.

My theory... same explanation for why men don't wear visors playing tennis... that category owned by women.

I just introduced a new look... roll them down as described above and wear a wristband just above the sock. I think it REALLY helped with the soaked sock syndrome by collecting the sweat that runs down the legs. Any thoughts on that?

corbind
07-24-2011, 08:06 AM
I just introduced a new look... roll them down as described above and wear a wristband just above the sock. I think it REALLY helped with the soaked sock syndrome by collecting the sweat that runs down the legs. Any thoughts on that?

That sounds very effective but I'm sure you'll get some looks.

Carolina Racquet
07-24-2011, 09:37 AM
That sounds very effective but I'm sure you'll get some looks.

White wristbands kind of 'blend' in with the socks, so you really can't see the difference because the socks and bands. Just looks like 3/4+ socks. But, who cares... if feet stay drier, let 'em look!

Fugazi
07-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Half crew socks are the best. In between regular crew socks and ankle socks.

got spin?
07-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Well you see now, if you wear long socks, the hair comes through the sock making it even uglier looking. I wear Black No show socks. Ive never had a problem with achilles tendon chafing.

jkang909
07-24-2011, 04:27 PM
umm guys... i wear groin high socks... do you think itll affect my playing? im worried

allez_mike
07-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Say whaaaaa?? I play tennis barefoot...dat's how we does, cuzzz

martini1
07-25-2011, 05:11 PM
LOL although I agree with the warmth and protection thing. It is also a fashion statement. If the top brands are making longer/shorter socks for men and they have the top 20 ATP players wearing similar style, all the rec player will follow.

And I have to say knee hi socks (soccer) are not that bad too during cold winter time. I wear sweat pants but have long socks underneath to keep my ankle and calf warm. I also like the idea of wear lighter basketball shoes if you have ankle problems.

FloridaAG
07-26-2011, 05:43 AM
Sweat absorption

Carolina Racquet
07-26-2011, 05:53 AM
Sweat absorption

Florida... I hear you. They absorb more sweat but the problem I find is that due to gravity, all of the sweat absorbed will settle in the foot area and it really causes a problem this time of year in the South.

One thing I've tried recently (as posted earlier in the thread) is to wear 3" wristbands just above the ankles. Like wearing them on the wrist, they help to absorb the sweat before the moisture gets to your feet. To me, it's made a world of difference and no one notices them because I fold my socks lower.

Try it sometime!

Dave_D
07-27-2011, 10:25 AM
I wear ankle (or no show) socks. I can't stand having a long sock on my leg as it just makes it hotter here in the south when playing. I don't have much of a problem of my legs sweating (if they do, that's why we have towels!) and I never have a problem with the Nike no show cushioned socks. Ever since I switched to them I don't get blisters anymore either.

I only wear long socks (knee high) in the winter to keep warm. Even then though it's under pants so you can't see them.

Blackmamba24
07-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Look better

FloridaAG
07-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Florida... I hear you. They absorb more sweat but the problem I find is that due to gravity, all of the sweat absorbed will settle in the foot area and it really causes a problem this time of year in the South.

One thing I've tried recently (as posted earlier in the thread) is to wear 3" wristbands just above the ankles. Like wearing them on the wrist, they help to absorb the sweat before the moisture gets to your feet. To me, it's made a world of difference and no one notices them because I fold my socks lower.

Try it sometime!

Fair point - they also help keep some clay off your legs

Power Player
07-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Well you see now, if you wear long socks, the hair comes through the sock making it even uglier looking. I wear Black No show socks. Ive never had a problem with achilles tendon chafing.

Why does the color matter if they are no shows?

6-2/6-4/6-0
07-29-2011, 10:22 AM
I wear thin running socks with a 5" cuff - two pair. Solves all the problems - looks right, no clay in the socks, no blisters. I wouldn't wear no-show socks if you paid me. I also wouldn't wear knee-highs for money. All comes down to what you like, and I've found the perfect fit, so I'm sorted...

BreakPoint
07-29-2011, 12:47 PM
...... I wouldn't wear no-show socks if you paid me. .....
Same here. The only way I would wear them is if I got a sex change first. :lol: LOL

benxten
07-30-2011, 09:55 AM
A buddy of mine was wearing the red propulse 3 with some no show socks. We played one set of doubles and he got some really bad blister on the back of his ankles that he had to stop playing. That's when I thought about how crew socks would have helped prevent this problem. The next day he was wearing crew socks and played several sets just fine.

hisrob777
07-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Has anyone noticed that Mardy Fish started wearing crew socks and Andy Roddick now wears no-show socks? They swapped styles. Roddick hasn't been wearing the ankle braces though.

North
07-30-2011, 11:05 AM
I like crew socks. They wick away the sweat better, are more comfortable (for me), and prevent any dust or little pebbles from spraying up from the court onto my ankles or into my shoes.

I couldn't care less about tan lines.

BreakPoint
07-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Has anyone noticed that Mardy Fish started wearing crew socks and Andy Roddick now wears no-show socks? They swapped styles. Roddick hasn't been wearing the ankle braces though.
Roddick has also been injured more than Fish lately, so they swapped on that as well. Any correlation?

Bartelby
07-30-2011, 11:17 AM
No-show socks don't really work on men because their ankles aren't exactly to die for, but there are short socks that end just at the top of the ankle that work well.

GlenK
07-31-2011, 06:07 AM
Same here. The only way I would wear them is if I got a sex change first. :lol: LOL

Me too, big time. I crack up now every time Roddick and Fish play. I always jokingly said, if Fish would get some decent socks he'd be a lot better player.. Then the change between the two of them..

hisrob777
07-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Agassi is the ultimate no-show sock guy. I think he must wax because the only visible hair on his body is his eye brows(those may be fake). Anyways back to the socks. He can't get a sock endorsement? Adidas won't provide socks? Steffi must like a little ankle action.....

TheOneHander
07-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Roddick has also been injured more than Fish lately, so they swapped on that as well. Any correlation?

From this we can conclude that ankle socks on men cause injury.

ssonosk
07-31-2011, 10:29 PM
I like the look, feel, keeps my shoes from turning my ankles raw, and win you double up it = double the win

deltacore1
08-03-2011, 07:56 PM
On clay it prevents clay from getting on you, and they also keep you warm during warm up, as well as carrying a professional appearance.