PDA

View Full Version : Munchausen Syndrome by Tennis Racquet??

michael_1265
07-20-2011, 10:31 AM
An acquaintance of mine, who is a 3.0, seems to have a real problem with racquets. He has had four break on him, in four different ways, in the last two months. One broke at 9 and 3 on the hoop, one broke at the beginning of the throat, and I didnít see the other two. He says that he has never hit the ground or any non-ball objects. He doesnít hit the ball especially hard. Having never broken one, I have no idea what to tell him. Thatís what makes me think that he might be afflicted with some sort of a syndrome which makes him seek attention by destroying his racquets. The only thing heís getting from me is an assurance that he will never swing ANY of my sticks.

Has anyone else had inexplicable and frequent racquet breakages?

Fuji
07-20-2011, 10:41 AM
What in the world?

In practice and drills I hit fairly hard, and it matches I'm pretty close to that. In my few years of playing, I've never even come close to breaking a stick. Needless to say I "baby" my rackets quite a bit. (They all stay in the bag when I'm not using them, and they are cleaned and maintained frequently)

-Fuji

mixedmedia
07-20-2011, 10:48 AM
I handle and hit with mine the same way as Fuji and never cracked or broken one while hitting the ball. However, I have heard of the rare time a racquet cracks when a shot is framed just right or something, but for that number of racquets, OP, I don't think it could have been through normal hitting. What models are they? Maybe they are from an insanely defective batch...?

slice bh compliment
07-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Munchhausen by proxy.
I had it once when I dated this really 'cool' actress chick who was into wicca. Once I was able to get out of that relationship, my tires started to not go flat. My strings lasted longer. My Dunlop max 200Gs started to just heal themselves.

retlod
07-20-2011, 11:06 AM
He says that he has never hit the ground or any non-ball objects.

Your acquaintance is lying to you.

mixedmedia
07-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Your acquaintance is lying to you.

I agree. Breaking that many racquets almost has to come from hitting them on the ground, fence, &c.

VGP
07-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Does he string his own frames?

If he does, maybe he's doing it wrong.

If he pays to have them strung by someone else, maybe they're doing it wrong.

weksa
07-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Get video documentation of your acquaintance playing. :twisted:

TheOneHander
07-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Get video documentation of your acquaintance playing. :twisted:

+1. What racquets has he used?

AndrewD
07-20-2011, 06:14 PM
I agree. Breaking that many racquets almost has to come from hitting them on the ground, fence, &c.

Absolute rubbish. I've had 4 TT Warrior MP (the original version) break and I've had 3 Dunlop Max 200G snap - not crack but actually snap. Nothing to do with abusing the frames (I didn't have a chance), each one had a structural weakness and given how long I've played tennis, if I was someone who habitually abused my racquets I'd have had a lot more go the same way. Similarly, a bloke at my club has had 3 Babolat frames snap. Nothing wrong with the way he cares for his frames, just that the racquets (graphite) aren't strong enough to handle being strung tightly (but within accepted limits) and used to hit the ball hard.

Just because you haven't experienced something doesn't mean it can't happen.

TheLambsheadrep
07-20-2011, 06:44 PM
What in the world?

In practice and drills I hit fairly hard, and it matches I'm pretty close to that. In my few years of playing, I've never even come close to breaking a stick. Needless to say I "baby" my rackets quite a bit. (They all stay in the bag when I'm not using them, and they are cleaned and maintained frequently)

-Fuji

right on, only 1 of my rackets have ever been cracked, and i think it was just old and couldnt take the stress when strung

michael_1265
07-20-2011, 09:28 PM
+1. What racquets has he used?

It appears he has used a mixed of midrange stuff, nothing that would go for over $50 at current prices. I'm going to find out exactly which sticks the next time I talk to him.

michael_1265
07-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Munchhausen by proxy.
I had it once when I dated this really 'cool' actress chick who was into wicca. Once I was able to get out of that relationship, my tires started to not go flat. My strings lasted longer. My Dunlop max 200Gs started to just heal themselves.

So maybe black magic is to blame??? I am worried that I am going to see a pentagram painted in blood on the tennis court next time that I play.