PDA

View Full Version : Review: Fischer Pro Extreme FT

baselined
04-26-2004, 08:12 AM
I received my Fischer sticks a little over two weeks ago and already, I am impressed and already comfortable playing matches. It confuses me why these racquets are so hard to find retail. I know they sponsor a select few ATP Pros but they don't throw out the big contracts to the top seeds. They spend a lot of time in development and technology and it shows in the end. Out of the box, you will be surprised at how much vibration (or lack thereof) there is. You don't really even need a dampener. Such a good racquet should be marketed to serious players who want a solid racquet.

First off, this is my first 27.5 racquet and right away I noticed my serve step up a notch. I was able to place bigger serves I couldn't achieve with my Pro Staff 90 and I am now placing more of my first serves in play. Baseline play and groundstrokes are hit with much ease and full of power under control. The kind of power that is controlled needed by fast swings and powerful hits. I was able to drop deep shots like I've never done before and thus hit with much more confidence in drawn out rallies. The spin could be a little better as I found my self at times scrounging for some spin on my backhand slices making me less prone to attack the net. I suppose the 16m/18c string pattern had me working just a tad to get some heavy top spin on the ball but nothing drastic. but I think it's all just getting used to the play of the racquet because once I got used to it, I adjusted easily and quickly. As soon as I finally got to the net, I decided I needed to be up there more often. The Pro Extreme FT was extremely maneuverable despite the 12.3oz weight you're swinging around. The 12 pts head light balance was perfect for laying those flat balls right off the stringbed. It was very forgiving with off center hits and made volleying enjoyable instead of dreadful.

All in all, the Fischer Pro Extreme FT is a Topflight Players racquet with a lot to offer. Big serves, big hits, and smooth net play already make it one of my favorite racquets.

galain
04-26-2004, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the review Baselined

I think there are many of us that are curious about this company, but as you say, don't have a lot to work with because of low availability.

Had you tested this frame before purchase? What made you go with the Extreme (the yellow one right?) rather than any of the others?

AAAA
04-26-2004, 02:48 PM
Baselined, Welcome to the club;-)

I've tried other brands but I keep going back to my trusty old blue Pro Classic. Even the racquet bags supplied with their 'pro' line racquets are of exceptional quality and they look great.

Galain, Fischer prefer to generate sales through word of mouth rather than sponsorship. AFAIK Fischer earns the bulk of it's revenue through the ski division and the material science R&D they do for high tech industries like aerospace. The tennis racquets are like a sideline for them.

AAAA
04-26-2004, 03:08 PM
Baselined, Could you tell me what is printed on the racquet?

Balance (unstrung)
Weight (unstrung)

Does it have something like 'SiC-Ceramics Graphite FT' anywhere?

Also what is the frame width(20mm)?

Thanks

AAAA
04-26-2004, 03:11 PM
Baselined, Do you get a 'solid thud' feel when striking the ball?

baselined
04-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Balance: 12.2 (unstrung)
Weight: 11.5 (unstrung)
Frame Width: 20mm

A center-punch hit gives you that thud feel but the vibration dampness is amazing making it feel so smooth. Must be the FSS System or the Frequency Tuning! :D

04-27-2004, 09:15 AM
I'm a pretty decent player and, without trying to sound cocky or anything, the Extreme FT is not an easy racquet to use and is rather unforgiving unless your mechanics and timing are sound. If you're in the 'zone', this racquet can be lethal to your opponent. Directional control, spin and tracjectory can be very well controlled and impact feel (if you hit the sweetspot) is unparalelled. Shanks are a different story. This is a stiff frame compared to Fischers of the past decade...little flex is evident. Quite a different feel overall than the Pro #1/VT Pro/pro Classic lines which are soft but crisp feeling. The Extreme Ft is stiff and solid feeling. Serves can be huge with it. You really need to stick your volleys with it though...it is very headlight.

AAAA
04-27-2004, 03:25 PM
Baselined, Thanks for posting your review and answering my questions. My old Pro Classic won't last forever and apart from the flex it sounds like the Pro Extreme is similar in most other areas.

Vanja Ljubibratic
04-28-2004, 07:10 AM
So how would you compare the ovreall play of the Extreme FT to the regular Pro No.1? The Pro No.1 is a demanding frame too, but it's still my favorite racquet of all time. But how do they compare in terms of control, racquet head speed, power, and spin? What is it in the Extreme FT that makes it possibly harder to play with? It's a longer frame, so you would have more leverage on shots, especially the serve, but it has a smaller head so it might be harder to generate spin. The string patterns are the same aren't they? Thanks.

04-28-2004, 08:52 AM
My Extreme FT measure 27.2 inches long while my VT98's are 26.8. I can see & feel the difference. The Extreme has a long throat/yoke while the lower hoop of the VT/Pro #1 comes down closer to the grip. IMO this makes the Extreme feel/play a bit long but after a few sessions I was able to adjust to the difference: the sweetspot on the Extreme is further away from my hand, and is smaller too. The other big difference is the flex pattern: the Extreme is not only stiffer overall, it is stiffer everywhere, and does not obviously flex in the throat like the VT/Pro#1 does. You can feel this difference right away. Also: the Extreme feels like a board until you start to fairly big cuts at the ball....then it really becomes a responsive weapon and you can effortlessless redirect your opponents pace on groundies. Because it is so headlight I have to concentrate on sticking my volleys more than with the VT/Pro #1. They are not similar racquets at all. The Extreme does not have ceramic fiber (silicon carbide) in its layup The Extreme FT is 16 x 18 on a 95 head while the Pro #1 is 16 x 20 on 98 sq.inches.

Feņa14
04-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Hi,

You say that the racket is headlight, that is one of the main factors in rackets that are good for the elbow, another is weight, so this racket has 2 of the main ingredients for elbow friendly rackets.

Does this mean that the Fischer is good for tennis elbow?

Cheers,

Liam

baselined
04-29-2004, 07:33 AM
Come to think of it, I've had tennis elbow problems in the past and everytime I've played with my PEFT I've never come across any problems. Interesting.

And as far as the stick feeling like a stiff board, was that a joke? The flex on my racquet seems greater than most players racquets I have used (Volkl Tour10 V, Pro Staff90, LiquidRad). I have also played with the Pro #1 and did not like it as much.

Feņa14
04-29-2004, 08:27 AM
baselined,

Thanks for the reply, the PE sounds like a solid overall racket.

I might be able to give them a try if they were more widely available!

Liam

Shane Reynolds
04-30-2004, 04:01 PM
If anyone is Fischer curious but does not think he can handle the Extreme, try the Tour. I had one and sold it to a nice lady in Seattle (like a dummy). I now have two Pro No. 1's, two Pro No. 1 FT's, and two Pro Impact FT's. I love every one of them but I preferred the Pro Tour FT, which you can no longer get.

kafedis
05-02-2004, 09:54 PM
:)