PDA

View Full Version : The search is almost over

dozu
07-20-2011, 04:48 PM
I've played with the same gut/nylon combo for good 5 years until the recent frame change.... had to experiment with all sorts of stuff... the search is almost over with the following findings -

1) gut is still king - nothing can beat it in the mains... especially with (still) low powered frame.

2) the crosses - nylon is too soft for the stiffer DNX10... poly dies too fast... just got some syngut in today, tried OGSM as the cross and it's perfect... it provides a crisp 'foundation' for the gut mains and it won't die so fast... still have PSDF16 and Stamina16 to try, but at this point, they prolly won't make much difference any more.... any of these crisp syngut will be good for the cross.

3) cheap combos - Forten Sweet16 / Poly combo feels almost as good as gut/poly... but again poly dies too fast.... just tried Forten / OGSM combo, so far so good, maybe not the weapon of choice when playing for bragging rights, but for casual hitting this combo will do, and it costs like $3 .... tried OGSM/nylon combo, it's a bit too stiff on the DNX's stiff hoop, the set up has NO dwell time lol

tensions are 55-57 lbs for all of the above combos.

Boricua
07-20-2011, 04:58 PM
I've played with the same gut/nylon combo for good 5 years until the recent frame change.... had to experiment with all sorts of stuff... the search is almost over with the following findings -

1) gut is still king - nothing can beat it in the mains... especially with (still) low powered frame.

2) the crosses - nylon is too soft for the stiffer DNX10... poly dies too fast... just got some syngut in today, tried OGSM as the cross and it's perfect... it provides a crisp 'foundation' for the gut mains and it won't die so fast... still have PSDF16 and Stamina16 to try, but at this point, they prolly won't make much difference any more.... any of these crisp syngut will be good for the cross.

3) cheap combos - Forten Sweet16 / Poly combo feels almost as good as gut/poly... but again poly dies too fast.... just tried Forten / OGSM combo, so far so good, maybe not the weapon of choice when playing for bragging rights, but for casual hitting this combo will do, and it costs like $3 .... tried OGSM/nylon combo, it's a bit too stiff on the DNX's stiff hoop, the set up has NO dwell time lol

tensions are 55-57 lbs for all of the above combos.

what brand of gut did you use?

dozu
07-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Bab Tonic 16

parasailing
07-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Bab Tonic 16

The search is never over :twisted:.

fortun8son
07-21-2011, 02:02 AM
Interesting about the Sweet16/poly combo.
Gonna have to give it a shot!
Which poly(s) did you use?

dozu
07-21-2011, 05:44 AM
have used both ProHurricane 18 and Scorpion17, basically any crisp poly would do.

need a relatively stiff hoop to make it shine though... the DNX10, although on paper has 58 flex, but the hoop plays much stiffer than that.... I am guessing the Wilsons will do fine... among the Heads, the Prestiges maybe good with this combo, but the Radicals maybe too flexible.

by the way, had a hit with the GOSM/Nylon combo this morning and I was surprised how well it performed..... crisp power, great control.... I even liked it more than the Gut/GOSM combo. Now the question will be how long it can last.... but I suppose it has to be better than the zombies that only last 3 hours.

Boricua
07-21-2011, 06:05 AM
have used both ProHurricane 18 and Scorpion17, basically any crisp poly would do.

need a relatively stiff hoop to make it shine though... the DNX10, although on paper has 58 flex, but the hoop plays much stiffer than that.... I am guessing the Wilsons will do fine... among the Heads, the Prestiges maybe good with this combo, but the Radicals maybe too flexible.

by the way, had a hit with the GOSM/Nylon combo this morning and I was surprised how well it performed..... crisp power, great control.... I even liked it more than the Gut/GOSM combo. Now the question will be how long it can last.... but I suppose it has to be better than the zombies that only last 3 hours.

You mean Gosen Sheep Micro? What nylon as cross?

bad_call
07-21-2011, 06:18 AM
I've played with the same gut/nylon combo for good 5 years until the recent frame change....

WOW...that's a long time on those strings. :shock: ;)

dozu
07-21-2011, 11:10 AM
You mean Gosen Sheep Micro? What nylon as cross?

yes OGSM mains, Ashaway Liberty 16 as crosses.... but I suppose any Nylon will do.

dozu
07-21-2011, 11:11 AM
WOW...that's a long time on those strings. :shock: ;)

I used to be chemist remember? some titanium coating does wonders!

bad_call
07-21-2011, 12:07 PM
I used to be chemist remember? some titanium coating does wonders!

i didn't know that (u being a chemist)...interesting. :)

dozu
07-21-2011, 04:08 PM
30 min against wall with the OGSM/Nylon - still loving it... now I am really curious how long the tension will stay... it has the potential of something great.

years ago I tried OGSM once and hated it (was using a more flexible frame).... now on the stiff hoop this string just does everything right... FH response is quite linear... BH slice has great bite..

This hoop, I'd say play more like a 65 flex (58 per Volkl)... on some shots even the gut gives this mushy feel (you know, like stepping on quick sand).

the other good thing is, hits on the upper hoop is still lively and comfortable.... dead polys just suck bad in that area... edge hits become 'ouch time' for the elbow.

will give it a few more days and see.

dozu
07-23-2011, 05:38 AM
1.5 hours of hitting today with OGSM/Nylon, this set up is quite amazing on the DNX10... the synergy between the strings and the hoop is great, no surprises, just crisp controllable power, with a loud pop at impact..... so the set up is at 3-hour mark now, and the mains are starting to move just a bit... I am guessing I can get another 3-4 hours out of this, and that would be great for something that costs $3..... and hit a few balls with Gut/OGSM, and I actually liked the OGSM/Nylon more !

also strung up another racket with PSGD/Nylon @56, not too bad, but the impact is a bit mushy, and therefore not as crisy/powerful as the OGSM/Nylon.

Next up is Stamina/Nylon in a few days.

dozu
07-27-2011, 05:28 AM
so now the OGSM/nylon is at the 4 hour mark, and has lost noticeable amount of tension... balls start to fly if I hit out. Racket is still usable for casual hitting, but too difficult to control for scored play.... the OGSM mains are barely notched up, and strings don't really move around.... still not bad.

Gut/OGSM is still reliable as usual, and is still the go-to.

PSGD/nylon is now at the 2 hour mark.... strings move all over the place... tension seems to be still holding ok.

Once got used to the performance of gut, it's hard to play with anything else :)

a0f6459
07-27-2011, 09:38 AM
so now the OGSM/nylon is at the 4 hour mark, and has lost noticeable amount of tension... balls start to fly if I hit out. Racket is still usable for casual hitting, but too difficult to control for scored play.... the OGSM mains are barely notched up, and strings don't really move around.... still not bad.

Gut/OGSM is still reliable as usual, and is still the go-to.

PSGD/nylon is now at the 2 hour mark.... strings move all over the place... tension seems to be still holding ok.

Once got used to the performance of gut, it's hard to play with anything else :)

Your take on full gut vs gut/ogsm? Do they play similarly enough to not ever pay for a full bed of gut?

dozu
07-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Your take on full gut vs gut/ogsm? Do they play similarly enough to not ever pay for a full bed of gut?

full gut in a flexible frame may worth it - flex index 60 or below...

I used gut/nylon in a flex 59 frame for years and I never thought I'd got too much more with a full bed.

the nylon cross puts a 'ceiling' on the gut power, and the solid core is usually more durable on the cross, as multi strands tend to fray quickly.... actually for a full gut job, it's not uncommon for the cross to break first.

currently I use a stiffer frame, so full gut is out of the question (too bouncy).