PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Gut worth it?

rafabull
07-20-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm thinking about starting to use Synthetic Gut in my hybrid setup because it so much cheaper than Natural and I can afford to restring more often. If anyone here uses Synthetic, could you give me some suggestions? There are a lot out there, and I will eventually demo them all if I can't find the right one. But I want to get the right string first to save the cash it takes to be constantly switching strings. I've heard Technifiber's is pretty good, as well as Wilson Extreme SG. Any suggestions?

docfischer
07-20-2011, 07:09 PM
As I live in a humid place, I have been told to use synthetic instead of natural. I have been extremely happy with my hybrid using Tecnifibre X1 Biphase. I think everyone has their own personal preference though. You can use the Tecnifibre out of the box as is for more power, or you can pre-stretch it to give a crisp gut like feel.

rafabull
07-20-2011, 07:18 PM
As I live in a humid place, I have been told to use synthetic instead of natural. I have been extremely happy with my hybrid using Tecnifibre X1 Biphase. I think everyone has their own personal preference though. You can use the Tecnifibre out of the box as is for more power, or you can pre-stretch it to give a crisp gut like feel.

Where do you live?

tennisexecutor
07-20-2011, 07:40 PM
synthetic gut is worth every penny if you're not a string buster. i suggest testing a set of forten sweet, gosen OG sheep, and pro supex spiral flex before pulling the trigger on a few reels.

rafabull
07-20-2011, 07:41 PM
synthetic gut is worth every penny if you're not a string buster. i suggest testing a set of forten sweet, gosen OG sheep, and pro supex spiral flex before pulling the trigger on a few reels.

Ok thanks man :)

BigT
07-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Go ahead and start with the basic s.g.'s and see how they work.

kiteboard
07-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Nrg2 at $14/set.

flashfire276
07-20-2011, 10:38 PM
SG is great! But, you have to know what you're getting into. If you're a hard hitter and expected durability, you're going to be sadly discouraged.
To me, synthetic gut has 3 great uses.
-Use as a cross string for hybrids (softer stringbed with blended with poly mains)
-Great way to get started in tennis, learning your racquet, and setting a "standard" on how a racquet and strings feel.
-A cheap go-to string when you're on a budget.

DeShaun
07-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Prince is the best synthetic gut for stand alone purposes in my opinion, but I am not sure if that means it is also the best for hybrid setups. Because synthetic gut is essentially nylon, and I detect a hint of budgetary concern in your post, go with Forten nylon, a real string bed softener in hybrid with polyesters (so you can try higher tensions more safely), and as inexpensive as any nylon comes.

fortun8son
07-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Forten Sweet and Gosen OG Sheep are the best price vs performance synguts around, especially by the reel.

docfischer
07-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Where do you live?

In Oklahoma, which averages 60 to 80 percent humidity. Its awful!

rafabull
07-21-2011, 04:13 PM
In Oklahoma, which averages 60 to 80 percent humidity. Its awful!

That must be awful for tennis. Would it be good for Northwest Washington in your opinion? Where it's relatively cool in the summer. I play indoors except for summer time.

rafabull
07-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Prince is the best synthetic gut for stand alone purposes in my opinion, but I am not sure if that means it is also the best for hybrid setups. Because synthetic gut is essentially nylon, and I detect a hint of budgetary concern in your post, go with Forten nylon, a real string bed softener in hybrid with polyesters (so you can try higher tensions more safely), and as inexpensive as any nylon comes.

Well I'm not broke or anything. I just thought if Synthetic Gut is remotely similar to Natural Gut, I'd give it a go seeing how I would be able to restring anytime because it's so cheap. Is the price difference worth it? Or should I just go with natural and pay the extra? Thanks for your help :)

baek57
07-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Well I'm not broke or anything. I just thought if Synthetic Gut is remotely similar to Natural Gut, I'd give it a go seeing how I would be able to restring anytime because it's so cheap. Is the price difference worth it? Or should I just go with natural and pay the extra? Thanks for your help :)

It's not anything close to resembling gut. If that was your intent just stick to gut and don't bother.

dozu
07-22-2011, 03:06 AM
among the cheap strings, nylons like Forten Sweet resemble gut, stretchy, comfy, good power, works well with soft frames 62 flex and below.

synguts - OGSM, PSDF etc, actually resemble copolys - crisp, good control, except they don't die as fast. should work well with frams 64 flex and up.

ricki
07-22-2011, 03:13 AM
I definitely recommend Prince syn gut duraflex in crosses, its very crispy!

smirker
07-22-2011, 04:20 AM
Pro Supex Spiral Flex (black version) is my standard syn gut. All my customers like it both as a full bed and as a cross string with a poly main.

Supposed to be very similar to PSGD but half the price:)

I am planning on using it as a cross for a gut main based on Dozu's rec not to mix gut/poly due to the discrepancy in how these two strings hold tension.

Power Player
07-22-2011, 06:11 AM
Syn gut will not feel as soft as natural gut but it will last for you and give you an awesome crisp feel. I am personally a huge fan of Syn Gut crosses and highly reccomend Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16.

You will not get much string movement at all if you string high enough (upper 50s on 100 size head for me), plus the feel is quite addictive.

fortun8son
07-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Forten Sweet 16 is an (almost) acceptable alternative as a main with poly crosses.
Heckuvalot cheaper than natty. You can restring often without breaking the bank.

dozu
07-23-2011, 04:43 AM
OGSM on a stiff hoop is 'addictive' indeed... and it gives that loud pop at impact..... the feel at impact is almost as sexy as gut on a soft hoop.

Forten Sweet / Poly is something I have used for a couple of month as an 'abuse' set up, for wet hitting and all.... not too bad, but the poly dies @3 hours when the soft Sweet is notched up, so just about time to cut them out LOL... actually for this set up to work, I think the frame flex has to be above 62ish, in which case OGSM/Nylon at mid/upper 50s will play better/last longer.

acer4tennis
07-23-2011, 05:25 AM
If you like something cheap and decent, try Gosen OG Sheep Micro.

6-2/6-4/6-0
07-23-2011, 06:49 AM
To me, if you're going to pay for X-1 Biphase in a hybrid, I'd just stick with Gut for the extra $5-10. If you want to save some money so you can restring regularly the I'd say Forten Sweet 16 or 17 has great playability and feel for such a cheap string. That would be the way I went...

dozu
07-23-2011, 07:10 AM
To me, if you're going to pay for X-1 Biphase in a hybrid, I'd just stick with Gut for the extra $5-10. If you want to save some money so you can restring regularly the I'd say Forten Sweet 16 or 17 has great playability and feel for such a cheap string. That would be the way I went...

agreed.... just can't see how multis can make any sense... they are created to mimic gut, so why not get the real thing for a fraction more, but get better performance and maybe twice the longevity.

TripleB
07-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Forten Sweet and Gosen OG Sheep are the best price vs performance synguts around, especially by the reel.

Agreed. If you like a more crisp feel go with Gosen OG Sheep Micro Super 16L. If you want something closer to natural gut use Forten Sweet Synthetic Gut in the Gold color. I find the gold a little too soft but if you're going from gut the gold color may be just what you're looking for in a cross.

TripleB

docfischer
07-23-2011, 05:06 PM
That must be awful for tennis. Would it be good for Northwest Washington in your opinion? Where it's relatively cool in the summer. I play indoors except for summer time.

I am not an expert for your area, but seeing as many pros train and "reside" in florida, I would assume that you would be okay on indoor facilities. I do not have any indoor facilities readily available so I have been fighting the triple digit temperatures. I do not believe your area to be to humid for concern, but maybe someone from your area can chime in.

DrpShot!
07-26-2011, 07:55 AM
In my experience NRG2 and Tourna-Quasi Gut feel very, very close to natural gut without the problems natural gut has with high humidity.

pvaudio
07-26-2011, 08:13 AM
NRG2 for the crispness, but the feel, not so much. Quasi-gut, definitely for the feel but not power.

6-2/6-4/6-0
07-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Agreed. If you like a more crisp feel go with Gosen OG Sheep Micro Super 16L. If you want something closer to natural gut use Forten Sweet Synthetic Gut in the Gold color. I find the gold a little too soft but if you're going from gut the gold color may be just what you're looking for in a cross.

TripleB

Is there a difference in the Sweet string based on color (ie. is gold softer than natural, or does natural have better feel than gold)? I've only ever used the gold, so just looking for feedback on this one...

Rogael Naderer
07-27-2011, 05:28 AM
Is there a difference in the Sweet string based on color (ie. is gold softer than natural, or does natural have better feel than gold)? I've only ever used the gold, so just looking for feedback on this one...

I'm looking at a cross to use with Silverstring mains, and am really clueless as to whether I bshould go down the Syn Gut or Multi route,

So far I've looked at

TF Syn Gut: HORRID!

I'm looking at:
PSGDF (white or gold?)
Weisscannon Explosiv
Tourna Quasi Gut
Mantis Comort Synthetic

all in 1.30mm gauge

I simply want a little more pop of the string bed, crisper feel and increased playability when the poly loses its vava voom!

dozu
07-27-2011, 12:06 PM
so back to the 'worth it?' question -

right now I have OGSM/nylon at 4.5 hour mark and had to cut it due to loss of tension.... PSGD/nylon at 2 hour mark, with slight loss of tension... and Stamina/nylon strung up and ready to roll.

worth it? answer is 'depends'.

it's quite frame dependent... I felt OGSM/nylon actually performed better than gut/OGSM when the tension was there, and I can prolly use OGSM/nylon for 2 more hours of casual hitting.

but, gut/OGSM can prolly give me 15 hours, if not more... so that is 3 times the longevity...

just on the cost of strings, syngut makes sense, but factoring the time spend restringing, not any more.

of course weather is a factor, gut is no good for wet hitting, so syngut is the better option there.

but for regular hard court play, gut is still the best.

dozu
07-27-2011, 03:00 PM
further confirmation - 1.5 hours of loose hitting / tie breaks..

used OGSM/nylon, PSGD/nylon, Stamina/nylon, was missing balls left right, but not the strings fault..... work was exhausting today..

started to feel the flow a bit after 40min and played 3 TBs... almost lost the 1st one, he ran me around a lot due to the short balls I gave up with PSGD/nylon.... somehow lucked out the first one..... switched to gut/OGSM, had much easier time in the next 2 TBs, my balls were a lot deeper, and had more kicks..

so - syn guts are nice crosses, but not quite to the task when bragging rights are on the line. LOL.

a0f6459
08-01-2011, 09:12 PM
further confirmation - 1.5 hours of loose hitting / tie breaks..

used OGSM/nylon, PSGD/nylon, Stamina/nylon, was missing balls left right, but not the strings fault..... work was exhausting today..

started to feel the flow a bit after 40min and played 3 TBs... almost lost the 1st one, he ran me around a lot due to the short balls I gave up with PSGD/nylon.... somehow lucked out the first one..... switched to gut/OGSM, had much easier time in the next 2 TBs, my balls were a lot deeper, and had more kicks..

so - syn guts are nice crosses, but not quite to the task when bragging rights are on the line. LOL.

How does your gut/ogsm compare to full gut?

I love ogsm. I recently compared it to PSGD and psgo and it is not even close. Ogsm hands down.

dParis
08-01-2011, 09:46 PM
In my experience NRG2 and Tourna-Quasi Gut feel very, very close to natural gut without the problems natural gut has with high humidity.
Just tried NRG2 for the first time right after my Pacific Classic gut broke. I liked the NRG2 and I agree that it feels similar to gut. There are subtle differences, though. I can feel the point where the ball sinks in to a full gut stringbed; almost as if the entire stringbed has stayed firm except for that circle where the ball compresses into the stringbed. NRG2 was just as comfortable and playable as gut, but it felt like a larger area of the stringbed flexed at impact and the ball feel was lost a bit relative to gut.

spillai
08-03-2011, 07:02 AM
x one biphase and wilson nxt are good synthetics

dozu
08-03-2011, 07:25 AM
How does your gut/ogsm compare to full gut?

I love ogsm. I recently compared it to PSGD and psgo and it is not even close. Ogsm hands down.

never tried full gut - especially I have a fairly stiff frame now... full gut will be too bouncy.

yeah, PSGD is quite mushy and low-powered... it actually holds tension well enough to be a decent cross... but it just doesn't give that crisp power that OGSM gives.

a side note - from last couple of days of hitting - Tonic 15 actually plays better in the summer than 16.

the gut/ogsm is my go-to set up now.... the power-on-demand, and the trustworthy feel just gives so much confidence.

but ogsm/nylon (or whatever) is actually more enjoyable - love that mini-explosion sound at impact.

dozu
08-04-2011, 04:36 PM
another hit today with ogsm/psgd - the set up is at the 4 hour mark, and still holding up well (initial tension was 57).

had to loan another one with ogsm/nylon to my partner as he busted his string... when we finished he commented that mine didn't hurt his golfer's elbow as much as his own racket (Wilson BLX 95 with Lux mains/ VS gut cross)... further confirmation those polys are elbow killers... seems he's had this problem for a couple of months since using the lux mains.

anyway - so far, the ogsm mains are the only one that has a power level close to Tonic gut mains.... PSGD mains are way too underpowered, resulting in lots of short balls.... wilson stamina is ok, but they seem to move around a lot.

compared to the Tonic mains, since ogsm is stiffer, it actually made the frame less forgiving.... sweet spot is noticeably smaller. The DNX10 mid frame doesn't have a generous sweet spot to start with, due to it's stiff hoop.... so it was a bit demanding to play with it.

overall, ogsm is a WORTHY set up - seems it holds tension well after the initial drop-off.. good power and string life..... a bit demanding to play for score... but for casual hits, definitely is good enough.