PDA

View Full Version : top 3 softest polys

mongoose_tennispro
07-21-2011, 05:38 AM
list your top 3 polys and put your favorite at the top of the list!
thanks

chrischris
07-21-2011, 05:40 AM
I like Tecnifibre Red code.. havent tried others lately but imo in 18 gauge its nice and soft and lasts well anyhow.

Boricua
07-21-2011, 05:45 AM
I like Tecnifibre Red code.. havent tried others lately but imo in 18 gauge its nice and soft and lasts well anyhow.

Do you hybrid it or use it full bed? How is the tension maintenance?

Torres
07-21-2011, 05:49 AM
If someone says Pro Line II in this thread, I'm going to do the following:

1. Walk out outside
2. Find a large brick wall
3. Headbutt the wall 50 times.

Dunlop Black Widow 17 and PH 18 are the softest, most comfortable polys that I can think of. Not that this question hasn't been asked already quite a few times.....

JT_2eighty
07-21-2011, 08:05 AM
1- Polystar Energy 1.20
2- Babolat Pro Hurricane 18 (regular, not tour)
3- Signum Pro Hyperion 1.18

For best tension maintenance, reverse the list.

Doubles
07-21-2011, 08:06 AM

1. Walk out outside

Dunlop Black Widow 17 and PH 18 are the softest, most comfortable polys that I can think of. Not that this question hasn't been asked already quite a few times.....

Pro Line II. Go ahead, most posters wouldn't mind you doing that...

mikeler
07-21-2011, 08:20 AM
These are the 3 softest I've tried as main strings with a multi cross:

1. Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge 17 - My favorite poly by a mile.
2. Genesis Black Magic 17 - The softest poly of the 8 or so that I've tried. Too much power for me, perhaps a higher tension might have made me like this string better. Spin potential not as good as other polys.
3. Dunlop Black Widow - Super spinny but almost too much spin since all my shots seemed to land short.

ryan380golf
07-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Pro Line II. Go ahead, most posters wouldn't mind you doing that...

Video please... :shock:

chrischris
07-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Do you hybrid it or use it full bed? How is the tension maintenance?

Full. good.

klementine
07-21-2011, 08:49 AM
#1. BBAce
#2. PolyStar Energy 17
#3. Weiss CANNON Mosquito Bite 18

parasailing
07-21-2011, 10:09 AM
#1. BBAce
#2. PolyStar Energy 17
#3. Weiss CANNON Mosquito Bite 18

Have you tried WC Scorpion? I am curious if WC MB 18 is better as I would like to use it in a cross.

Bedrock
07-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Pro Line II

pvaudio
07-21-2011, 10:11 AM
MB is softer, but has less power and control. Scorpion also wins with spin. Serving though, MB can't lose.

pvaudio
07-21-2011, 10:13 AM

1. Walk out outside

And yet the fact that you know that someone will say this just in itself gives credence to their opinion.

hebrewhammer
07-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Has no one said Silverstring?
1. WC silverstring. (soft for me, others have said otherwise)
2. Golden Set Snake Bite. Dang. Incredibly soft. So much touch as well.
3. Lux Alu Power Rough. Too soft for me. Broke after 4 hrs.

Power Player
07-21-2011, 11:35 AM
1. Polystar energy. There is no poly softer
2. Genesis Black Magic
3. ProLine II

kchau
07-21-2011, 11:37 AM
bhbr17

ib4tbhbr

Torres
07-21-2011, 11:45 AM
And yet the fact that you know that someone will say this just in itself gives credence to their opinion.

Doesn't give any credance to it at all. It just means they have a limited experience of that string, or strings in general, or their experience is limited to a particular application, or they simply haven't playtested enough, or are simply parroting what another poster has posted.

If sheer numbers of opinion were conclusive then 17g Gosen Micro is stiff and boardy, and Blackcode is apparently the spinniest poly you can get.

mikeler
07-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Doesn't give any credance to it at all. It just means they have a limited experience of that string, or strings in general, or their experience is limited to a particular application, or they simply haven't playtested enough, or are simply parroting what another poster has posted.

If sheer numbers of opinion were conclusive then 17g Gosen Micro is stiff and boardy, and Blackcode is apparently the spinniest poly you can get.

Funny how everyone else has a different opinion from you regarding the Gosen. Must just be all of us that are mistaken. ;)

pvaudio
07-21-2011, 12:53 PM

In other words, if I may paraphrase, they're all wrong, and you're right. Got it.

BreakPoint
07-21-2011, 01:00 PM
A "soft poly" is a paradox. If you want soft strings, use a multi. :)

mikeler
07-21-2011, 01:03 PM
A "soft poly" is a paradox. If you want soft strings, use a multi. :)

True but there are definitely some polys that are much softer than others.

Torres
07-21-2011, 01:08 PM
In other words, if I may paraphrase, they're all wrong, and you're right. Got it.

Yup, that's correct. If they're saying PLII is among the three softest, most comfortable, most arm friendly polys out there - which is what this thread is supposed to be about - then they're very wrong.

Funny how everyone else has a different opinion from you regarding the Gosen. Must just be all of us that are mistaken. :wink:

I'm getting a feeling of deja vu...

Not in a million years could Gosen be described 17 stiff and boardy compared to the all the strings out there. Stiff and boardy to the multifilament crowd with their Big Bubbas but not stiff and boardy to anyone else.

FedFollow
07-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Just started playing Black Venom at 55# in a BLX PO. Feels pretty darn good.

BreakPoint
07-21-2011, 01:37 PM
True but there are definitely some polys that are much softer than others.
True, but even the softest poly will be stiffer than the average multi.

pvaudio
07-21-2011, 01:40 PM
True, but even the softest poly will be stiffer than the average multi.
True, but how is this even remotely relevant?

mixedmedia
07-21-2011, 01:43 PM
My thoughts exactly: We're talking about polys here.

TonyB
07-21-2011, 02:11 PM
1. Polystar energy. There is no poly softer
2. Genesis Black Magic
3. ProLine II

First two are correct. I'm not convinced with your #3 selection. There are plenty of polys softer than PL2.

My experience is:

1. Polystar Energy (no comparison)
2. Genesis BM
3. Babolat Pro Hurricane
4. Topspin Cyber Blue

I love Polystar Energy. It's an incredible string... for the first 3 hours, then it loses tension pretty quickly. But man, is it ever a GREAT string initially.

Power Player
07-21-2011, 02:35 PM
First two are correct. I'm not convinced with your #3 selection. There are plenty of polys softer than PL2.

My experience is:

2. Genesis BM
3. Babolat Pro Hurricane
4. Topspin Cyber Blue

I love Polystar Energy. It's an incredible string... for the first 3 hours, then it loses tension pretty quickly. But man, is it ever a GREAT string initially.

I was just kidding about the PLII to annoy the angry dude.

jmverdugo
07-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Volkl Cyclone 18 is really soft ... but nothing like Pro Line II ;)

BreakPoint
07-21-2011, 03:32 PM
True, but how is this even remotely relevant?
Because if you want a "soft" string, why even bother with poly at all? Poly is for people who want stiff strings.

x5150
07-21-2011, 03:57 PM
1. Polystar energy 17/16L
2. Pro Supex Big Ace Revo 1.20
3. Dunlop explosive 17

2Hare
07-21-2011, 03:59 PM
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2011/01/3_string_selector_2011.html

List of strings sorted by stiffness. I know stiffness doesn't always mean softness, but I think that's a pretty good indicator for softness. Looks like pro hurricane 18 is softer than even most multis.

tomp
07-21-2011, 04:28 PM
BBAce
Topspin Cyber Blue

The softest two I could think that I have used.

(and I don't think that WC MB is either good, or that soft)

mongoose_tennispro
07-21-2011, 04:47 PM
what about sppp? is that a soft poly compared to those that you guys have mentioned?

BreakPoint
07-21-2011, 05:16 PM
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2011/01/3_string_selector_2011.html

List of strings sorted by stiffness. I know stiffness doesn't always mean softness, but I think that's a pretty good indicator for softness. Looks like pro hurricane 18 is softer than even most multis.
Which is why nobody takes those stiffness ratings seriously. :shock:

2Hare
07-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Which is why nobody takes those stiffness ratings seriously. :shock:

I dunno much about multi, tried a few times, always die really fast and lose spin so fast then move like crazy. I take cheap gut over multi anyday. they hold tension so much better. Hybriding gut with poly >> multi

JT_2eighty
07-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Because if you want a "soft" string, why even bother with poly at all? Poly is for people who want stiff strings.

Not exactly. People looking for "soft" poly are not looking for a "soft string" per se. They want the playability of poly without the full-out harshness of a Luxilon or Duralast string that play like brick walls. Soft polys are of course still stiff when compared to multi and especially gut, but still afford one a different breed of playability not to be found with multis, gut, syn gut, etc.

Plus, polys can be strung very low, into the 40 lbs ranges (and lower for some), and still be controllable with effortless spin, something that if done with multis would only create effortless rocket-launching.

TenFanLA
07-21-2011, 09:23 PM
1. Polystar Energy 1.20mm
2. Polystar Energy 1.20mm
3. Polystar Energy 1.20mm

So soft and "pockety," makes you wonder if it's even a poly at all.

vegasgt3
07-22-2011, 02:57 AM
Polyfibre TCS is very soft. I can't use polys, but I can use this one!

ptr
07-22-2011, 03:38 AM
1. Polystar Energy 1.20mm
2. Polystar Energy 1.20mm
3. Polystar Energy 1.20mm

So soft and "pockety," makes you wonder if it's even a poly at all.

What tension on what stick?

smirker
07-22-2011, 05:11 AM

My experience is:

2. Genesis BM
3. Babolat Pro Hurricane
4. Topspin Cyber Blue

Agree 100% that Polystar Energy is a great string. My first serve % has gone up since using this string. You can generate effortless power combined with great placement with it. Shame that after 2 matches it has los so much tension that the strings move all over the place.

For the player who doesn't mind frequent re-stringing it is far-and-away the best poly I have used.

mikeler
07-22-2011, 06:20 AM
Yup, that's correct. If they're saying PLII is among the three softest, most comfortable, most arm friendly polys out there - which is what this thread is supposed to be about - then they're very wrong.

I'm getting a feeling of deja vu...

Not in a million years could Gosen be described 17 stiff and boardy compared to the all the strings out there. Stiff and boardy to the multifilament crowd with their Big Bubbas but not stiff and boardy to anyone else.

Ah, taking things out of context, nice work. In that other thread we were comparing synthetic guts. I'm no longer part of the full multifilament crowd and don't use a Big Bubba so getting a little catty there. Must be that time of month, this too shall pass.

TenFanLA
07-22-2011, 07:50 AM
What tension on what stick?

I used Polystar Energy 1.20mm on YT Extreme Pro at 45 and 50lbs. The feel and comfort to me are 2nd to none in polys. There is a lot of power and decent amount of spin. But in a powerful stick like mine, I need less power and/or more spin to get better control. BHBR at 47lbs gives me almost as good feel and less comfort but a lot more spin.

Up&comer
07-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Ah, taking things out of context, nice work. In that other thread we were comparing synthetic guts. I'm no longer part of the full multifilament crowd and don't use a Big Bubba so getting a little catty there. Must be that time of month, this too shall pass.

Lol.

Agreed. Multis aren't just for older players, and they sure as hell aren't only for people with oversize rackets.

Even a top 20 pro uses full multi. (Simon, uses head intellitour).

Multis are a good choice for people with arm problems. And everyone can get arm problems just from normal wear and tear.

I agree with mikeler, compared to other synthetics, gosen ogsm is stiff and boardy.

nickarnold2000
07-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Lol.

Agreed. Multis aren't just for older players, and they sure as hell aren't only for people with oversize rackets.

Even a top 20 pro uses full multi. (Simon, uses head intellitour).

Multis are a good choice for people with arm problems. And everyone can get arm problems just from normal wear and tear.

I agree with mikeler, compared to other synthetics, gosen ogsm is stiff and boardy.
Wow, I had no idea that Simon uses a multi. That Aus Open match against Fed was really good.

JT_2eighty
07-22-2011, 10:25 AM
^^^ yea, Intellitour is a really unique multi-hybrid pack. One of my favorites, it is soft yet very low powered; great for flat hitters seeking comfort and control. But now we're getting off track.

I'll be trying Polystar Turbo this weekend, to compare to Energy to see how the softness, spin & power compare between the two. That string was kind of a pain to weave, but felt stretchy like Energy on the dropweight.

Backhanded Compliment
07-22-2011, 03:37 PM
I cant use super soft poly strings but for me:

Volkl Cyclone 18
Genisis Black Magic 1.20 (too powerful for me)
WC Silverstring 1.20

gregor.b
07-22-2011, 03:46 PM

1. Walk out outside

Pro Line II

Torres
07-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Pro Line II

All you're doing is just misleading the noobs who read this thread.

tlm
07-22-2011, 09:53 PM
I would say that lux fluoro is a soft poly.

parasailing
07-22-2011, 10:08 PM
^^^ yea, Intellitour is a really unique multi-hybrid pack. One of my favorites, it is soft yet very low powered; great for flat hitters seeking comfort and control. But now we're getting off track.

I'll be trying Polystar Turbo this weekend, to compare to Energy to see how the softness, spin & power compare between the two. That string was kind of a pain to weave, but felt stretchy like Energy on the dropweight.

Turbo is nothing special and pain in the arse to string with the edges. It might produce a bit more spin but does have the great combo Energy has which is good spin, power, and soft on the arm for a copoly.

Both will suffer from massive tension loss and hence I moved on to something with better tension maintenance.

pepka
07-23-2011, 04:35 AM
1. Black Venom
2. Black Venom
3. Black Venom/Energy/Cyclone

parasailing
07-24-2011, 12:32 AM
1. Black Venom
2. Black Venom
3. Black Venom/Energy/Cyclone

Black Venom and Energy both have poor tension maintenance unless you don't mind stringing racquets every 7 to 10 hours of play.

pepka
07-24-2011, 04:49 AM
Black Venom and Energy both have poor tension maintenance unless you don't mind stringing racquets every 7 to 10 hours of play.

True that. But he asked for softest, so i picked the softest i played with ;)

Automatix
07-24-2011, 05:44 AM
Similarly to pepka... for me it's more or less like this:
1) Black Venom
2) Black Venom
3) Black Venom/maybe something else...

I'd rate BV as slightly under average when it comes to holding tension.
The best poly at that aspect would be SPPP.

parasailing
07-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Similarly to pepka... for me it's more or less like this:
1) Black Venom
2) Black Venom
3) Black Venom/maybe something else...

I'd rate BV as slightly under average when it comes to holding tension.
The best poly at that aspect would be SPPP.

Have you played with WC Scorpion, Silverstring, B5E as a comparison to SPPP?

Automatix
07-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Yes I did, however I didn't like the feel and overall performance of any of them so they didn't sit long enough in the racquets.

FedFollow
07-29-2011, 06:51 AM
I have only been playing since late February but developed TE in May. Started with RPM mainly because i knew very little about strings and just picked what Rafa plays. Huge mistake. Jumped to Excel after a few weeks but still had elbow pain. I switched to Black Venom a few weeks ago and the elbow seems to be getting better. I have been using a Flexbar for the last 6 weeks which is probably the reason for the recovery. My point is, with proper exercise and improving technique, I can play a softer poly and enjoy the game.

parasailing
07-29-2011, 10:59 AM
I have only been playing since late February but developed TE in May. Started with RPM mainly because i knew very little about strings and just picked what Rafa plays. Huge mistake. Jumped to Excel after a few weeks but still had elbow pain. I switched to Black Venom a few weeks ago and the elbow seems to be getting better. I have been using a Flexbar for the last 6 weeks which is probably the reason for the recovery. My point is, with proper exercise and improving technique, I can play a softer poly and enjoy the game.

Proper technique and exercise is #1 on the list to prevent or reduce risk of injuries. Strings and racquet are second but nowadays, copolys strung at lower tension range shouldn't give you issues unless you keep them in for months when they should have been replaced earlier.

Gasolina
07-29-2011, 12:47 PM
The stiffness ratings from RSI are for strings strung at 62 lbs. If you want to string at 62 lbs then I guess you aren't in the market for a soft poly

gregor.b
07-29-2011, 02:33 PM
So where does MSV Hex Focus rate according to all the regular players out there? By regular I mean you hit at least three times a week,feel the difference in a string and don't just swing as hard and fast as you can,you actually play tennis as opposed to just whaling on the ball in a hitting session.

spillai
08-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Signum Pro Poly Plasma is a very soft poly. It holds tension well and gets good spin