PDA

View Full Version : Prince Original Graphite 110 (Oversize) string tension

chanhoward
07-21-2011, 06:01 AM
All,
After trying different brands of rackets, I am now back to my favourite Prince Original Graphite 110 (Oversize) -4 Stripes version (Made in Taiwan version)
I recently brought another used 4 stripes POG 110 (also made in Taiwan)
However, when I compared the 2 rackets, on 1 racket, recommended string tension is 60-75LBS(27-34KGS) while the recommended string tension on the other racket is 55-70LBS (25-32KGS)
Which is the correct recommended string tension range?

I would also like to know your string setup (tension and string type) that POG oversize owners are using

Thanks in advance,
Howard

tennytive
07-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Hey Howard,

I have owned a few 4 stripe rackets and they all recommended 55 to 70 for string tension.

I have tried from 50 to 62 pounds over the last couple years and currently have my Oversize strung at 58 with syn gut (nylon).

Using the middle range, you may try 62 and then go up or down from there.

LeeD
07-21-2011, 03:11 PM
When I was 20 years younger, and quite a bit more athletic, my 2 PrinceTT's OS finalized at 72lbs, anything lighter would sail erratically.
Now they sit in a storage container, tried once every 4 years, but feel head heavy even thous they weighed around 10oz even.

chanhoward
07-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Hey Tennytive and LeeD
Thanks very much for the replies, comments.
I am using Synthetic guts now but will try my favorite Polyester strings when I have them re-string next
POG might be a very old "classic" racket, but the feel (especially the feel), weight, balance etc is just perfect for me (and I do not need to customize them) something I can never get used to "newer generation" rackets no matter how much I tried to customize the newer rackets (not that the newer rackets are bad, they are good too)

Thanks again,
Howard

Don't Let It Bounce
07-22-2011, 11:37 AM
It's a matter of tennis trends rather than a change in the racquet. The 4-stripe first appeared in 1987, IIRC. It inherited the string recommendations of the previous Prince frames, which were really high compared to current recommendations for OS frames.

That's because when Prince frames first came out, they were competing against standard-size racquets with 65-70 sq" heads and dense string patterns. Consumers who picked up the new Prince racquets were hitting the back fence on the fly anyway, so high tensions helped tame some of the power and make them closer to whatever the consumer was coming from.

As time went on and racquet buyers no longer had standard-head-feel expectations, recommended tensions got lower. The 4-stripe's long life (it was sold throughout the 90's) carried it through some of these changes. One of your frames was manufactured before one of those drops in recommended tension, and the other after; and you can feel free to string 'em both the way you like!