PDA

View Full Version : larger sweetspot for ps 6.0 85

fedex27
07-02-2005, 06:35 PM
i am having trouble constantly hitting the small sweetspot of the 6.0 85. is there anyway to raise/ largen the sweetspot of this racquet or do i need a new one

AndrewD
07-02-2005, 07:18 PM
String it very low or use weight to increase the sweetspot.

Still, if you aren't finding the sweetspot consistantly and you aren't stringing too tight then Id say you need to find something more appropriate for your style of play or skill level. There are many racquets far better than the PS85 so it might be worth your while seeing which of them you like.

antontd
07-02-2005, 07:25 PM
No. The sweet spot is a point. If you are looking for more forgiving racquet, you could lower the string tension and add lead at 3/9. However the PS85 is anything but forgiving. So either practice more or switch.

fedex27
07-02-2005, 07:40 PM
No. The sweet spot is a point. If you are looking for more forgiving racquet, you could lower the string tension and add lead at 3/9. However the PS85 is anything but forgiving. So either practice more or switch.
so why did you put weight at 2/10? do you feel tough telling everyone that they arent good enough touse the racquet you do?

BreakPoint
07-02-2005, 08:41 PM
i am having trouble constantly hitting the small sweetspot of the 6.0 85. is there anyway to raise/ largen the sweetspot of this racquet or do i need a new one

Give the PS 6.0 95 a try. It's more forgiving than the 85, but just as sweet. :D

fedex27
07-02-2005, 08:44 PM
Give the PS 6.0 95 a try. It's more forgiving than the 85, but just as sweet. :D
thats probaly what triplebreakpoint would suggest also :o)

ambro
07-02-2005, 09:29 PM
so why did you put weight at 2/10? do you feel tough telling everyone that they arent good enough touse the racquet you do?
Settle down bud, he's just answering the question. 2/10 raises the sweetspot and makes a it little bit more forgiving, which is what antontd wants. 3/9 doesn't raise it as much but makes it more forgiving, which is what your question was. He was just telling you what to do for what you want as the result.

NoBadMojo
07-02-2005, 09:38 PM
you dont get a bigger sweetspot on the ps85..it was a sweet bat back in the 90's, but isnt even close to appropriate for how the game is played today..pick another frame unless you are better then the Fed, who has his Wilson a little larger than an 85

PrestigeClassic
07-03-2005, 01:57 AM
Uh, yeah you do. You might get it by going to a lighter synthetic grip and/or placing lead at 2/10 o'clock.

Ultra2HolyGrail
07-03-2005, 05:12 AM
You can increase the sweetspot by adding lead tape at 3/9...

As far as the ps85 being outdated for todays style of play, you guys seem to forget that Federer used the 85 not too long ago and i believe he won some matches with it hehe...

Look at how many times Sampras beat agassi with his oversize?...And roddick with his superior pure drive...

fedex27
07-03-2005, 05:22 AM
Settle down bud, he's just answering the question. 2/10 raises the sweetspot and makes a it little bit more forgiving, which is what antontd wants. 3/9 doesn't raise it as much but makes it more forgiving, which is what your question was. He was just telling you what to do for what you want as the result.
yeah i just wantedto see how he would react, thanks

wpeng4
07-03-2005, 05:18 PM
mine has lead at 3 and 9, strung at 50lb with luxilon alu. This setup doesn't play much smaller than other bigger rackets I had previously

antontd
07-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Your 53lbs is low enough. This is what getting it lower will do:

"Anecdotal evidence suggests that there is truth in the rule that tight strings give better control, but it isn't for the reason that dwell time increases. With a loose racquet, especially a big head racquet, an off-center hit will deform the string bed more severely than it would a tight, small-head racquet (like Pete Sampras uses), and therefore there will be less certainty as to the path of the rebounding ball."
www.racquetresearch.com

Try with lead, but this racquet is not forgiving. PS85 users are too stubborn to realize what's good for them(may be including me :().

Speedy_tennis
07-03-2005, 06:34 PM
add some lead af 3' and 9', but you have make power to generate spin, but the racket will be more stable on voleys

fist pump
07-03-2005, 06:52 PM
drop the ps 6.0 85 and get an estusa power beam pro instead.

i dont think the sweetspot will get any bigger - that is one very unforgiving racquet.

diredesire
07-04-2005, 01:19 PM
As far as a stringing standpoint goes, you can definitely enlarge the sweetspot, but you may have mixed results with it. The technique is called proportional stringing, which in effect is trying to get the same string STIFFNESS (not tension) across the entire racquet face. If you have a very very knowledgeable stringer in your area (s)he will probably know what you're talking about. Basically there is a spreadsheet floating around that you input string lengths into and the sheet will calculate what tension each and every string should be. This makes each string proportionally the same stiffness (the tension, will of course vary).

Think of it as: pulling a foot long string to 60lbs and a 1 inch string to 60 lbs. The 1 inch string will be much MUCH "stiffer" than the foot long string. The same effect/idea goes into a racquet face. If you give the entire racquet the same stiffness, you are effectively stringing the racquet into becoming one big sweetspot. This technique isn't as popular nowadays as it was a few years ago, mainly because it's a huge PITA. It CAN also potentially cause racquet deformation with more flexy frames. I'd say you're pretty safe with the PS 6.0 85, though. It's very structurally sound.

The effects of stringing like so will be:
Less of a idffernece on off center shots. You still might be able to tell you hit it off center, but the resulting shot coming off of the frame will be much deeper than expected. This is a VERY weird effect for many/most people, and will throw you off, most likely. It can help you with mishits, but it can also screw with yer head

More stability on off center shots

less "feel", although i don't agree with this, many players say there is less feel on the stringbed. There is less of a "sweet" spot, mainly because the entire frame is a sweetspot, and it becomes more and more consistent across the bed.

If you want to try a less radical approach than jumping straight to a proportional job, try this...

for the 6.0 85...

String the 4 center mains at your reference tension

String the next two (on each side) 2 lbs looser.
The next one should be 1 lb less
Continue dropping 2 lbs off each main after this point

(note: i am talking about PAIRS of mains. So you string the middle 2 reference, the next one on each side reference.. then begin dropping as recommended. If you string yourself, please look closely at your racquet so you know what i'm talking about)

For the crosses, begin stringing at 5 lbs below reference tension
bump the tension up one lb every cross until you hit reference. THat should be the 5th cross.

String the next 8 at reference

Continue dropping 1 lb 'til the end.

This isn't exactly a proportional job, but it will give you an idea of what the proportional pattern will do for you, in a full blown job. Your stringing may charge extra, but it may be worth it to you, you don't have to switch frames, and you effectively have enlarged your sweetspot.

It actually isn't as hard as it sounds, because many posters here do not have stringing experience, so can't recommend other techniques besides lead taping (which does work, but IMO MOVES the sweetspot, rather than really expanding it too much...

A lower tension will also help, but won't really expand the sweet spot all too much, it's just making the peripheral mains less jarring upon impact, since they're less stiff. Which is what proportional is all about, really.

ffrpg
07-04-2005, 04:30 PM
I have lead tape running from about 2&10 to a little less than 4&8. I have about 10 grams (5 on each side) and I really don't know if it raised the sweetspot or not (I can consistently hit the sweetspot). I really enjoy the way it plays though.

diredesire
07-04-2005, 05:40 PM
I have lead tape running from about 2&10 to a little less than 4&8. I have about 10 grams (5 on each side) and I really don't know if it raised the sweetspot or not (I can consistently hit the sweetspot). I really enjoy the way it plays though.

I typically have my lead tape slightly higher than the middle of the frame, as i do hit more consistently in that area, and it's nice when the sweetspot is raised a little.

FedererUberAlles
07-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Gstring, do you have two 85s? I've got two nSix-One 95s, maybe we could workout a trade?

Radical Shot
07-04-2005, 08:27 PM
I think it's all about perception...and practice.

I believe that the PS 6.085 has the best sweet-spot of all racquets, providing that you actually hit the middle of the racquet. In order to "enlarge" the sweet spot, keep practicing with it. You will find that as you improve, you'll be able to hit the small spot, more consistently. Relative to how you used to play before (now), you'll find in the future that you'll hit it more often, thus having the effect that it's bigger!

Practice is the key. I find that if I regularly hit against a wall (once or more a week) with the PS 6.0 85, my games are much much better. Without this wall time, I find that the sweet spot shrinks....

Either way, this is a great racquet to learn tennis with. It will immediatelly tell you when you didn't hit the ball with a full, well timed shot. People pay $$ for a human coach to tell them that! I just listen to the "Pete"

ffrpg
07-04-2005, 08:46 PM
After giving it some thought, I don't think there's much you could really do about the sweet spot. Even if you did increase the sweet spot size, I don't think it would be enough to make the racquet any easier to play with. You can either hit the sweetspot or you can't. I would suggest playing with a less demanding stick. Hang onto your PS 85 and hit with it every once in awhile. After a couple months pass by, pick up your PS 85 and play with it. Once you get consistent, the sweet spot size on the PS 85 shouldn't be a problem. Just give it time. Remember, there are no shortcuts when it comes to tennis.

nattawut
07-04-2005, 09:48 PM
how about ncode nsix one tour