PDA

View Full Version : I'm addicted to fresh stringjobs

dadozen
07-21-2011, 10:06 AM
So, 3 months ago I got my Gamma X6-FC machine. Decided to do so because I was spending a lot of money and time driving until the pro shop to get my racquets strung.

I quickly discovered the pleasure to string your own racquets. It's not just money saver, it's fun too!

Well, now that I can have a freshly strung racquet whenever I want( and can ), I'm addicted to fresh stringjobs. I play mostly 2-3h with one stringjob and already want it restrung. Fresh strings feel so damn good I want them everytime!!!

Is there anybody else like me or am I the only carzy one?:lol:

pvaudio
07-21-2011, 10:17 AM
I admit that I used to be like this. What changed was seeing that instead of saving money by stringing myself, I was actually spending MORE because I kept on buying strings and trying something new every few hours...because it was "free" to do it myself. :)

JackB1
07-21-2011, 10:26 AM
I dont know how anyone could say stringing a racquet is "fun"? It's very tedious and time consuming and hardly fun. Playing tennis is fun. Stringing is a chore. I do it cause it gets me back to playing, but it's hardly fun for me. If you were just stringing for everyone else and not playing, I doubt that you would consider it fun anymore.

bluetrain4
07-21-2011, 10:30 AM
The fact that most players can't have fresh strings whenever they want is the reason I think all string reviews and comments should include a lot of information abut how strings play after, and even well after, the stringjob (let's say you usually break strings after 20 hours of play, then comments might include how the strings played around the 10 hour mark).

As we all know, string performance can decrease dramatically after only a few hours. I generally love fresh poly, but I can't stand most poly string after I've played with it even as little as two ot three times (though some maintain themselves longer). So many polys that I love fresh become dead and rubbery and I hate the feeling. Bleh.

Back in my full syn gut (and I'm talking really basic syn gut) days, my string bed could look horrible - misaligned, worn, dirty, but it generally played great up until breaking. Yes, the tension went down and it was looser. But, looser than preferred isn't the same as being "dead" IMO. Today, if I'm using full poly, I'll almost always restring before breaking. Most often, I use a hybrid which neutralizes some of the poly deadening.

jjs891
07-21-2011, 10:44 AM
My hybrid set up in Vantage 95 lasted ~3 1/2 hrs, so it pretty much insures that I have a fairly fresh string job.

I do get tired of stringing often but I do like the performance of fresh job, especially the first hour.

BobFL
07-21-2011, 10:58 AM
So, 3 months ago I got my Gamma X6-FC machine. Decided to do so because I was spending a lot of money and time driving until the pro shop to get my racquets strung.

I quickly discovered the pleasure to string your own racquets. It's not just money saver, it's fun too!

Well, now that I can have a freshly strung racquet whenever I want( and can ), I'm addicted to fresh stringjobs. I play mostly 2-3h with one stringjob and already want it restrung. Fresh strings feel so damn good I want them everytime!!!

You are not alone trust me :) I mean, what's the point of having your own stringing machine if you are going to cheapen out and play with dead strings :) Doesn't make any sense to me...

dadozen
07-21-2011, 11:05 AM
I admit that I used to be like this. What changed was seeing that instead of saving money by stringing myself, I was actually spending MORE because I kept on buying strings and trying something new every few hours...because it was "free" to do it myself. :)

PV, I always buy reels and I'm using reasonably cheap strings - Tornado and SPPP. I understand your point, but I'm also done experimenting with strings( just once in a while ) so I just spend money when I need to buy a new reel. Of course, I'd save a lot more money if I could wait until the string broke, but I just can't stand that:D

I dont know how anyone could say stringing a racquet is "fun"? It's very tedious and time consuming and hardly fun. Playing tennis is fun. Stringing is a chore. I do it cause it gets me back to playing, but it's hardly fun for me. If you were just stringing for everyone else and not playing, I doubt that you would consider it fun anymore.

Jack, I only string for myself, for my girlfriend( which needs a new stringjob once every 2-3 months ) and for close friends( actually, I just made 2 stringjobs for them - one was a gut/poly and other was full poly, 1 piece ). So I don't need to stay off court to string racquets. I'd also be ****ed if I wasn't able to play because I had to string them.

The fact that most players can't have fresh strings whenever they want is the reason I think all string reviews and comments should include a lot of information abut how strings play after, and even well after, the stringjob (let's say you usually break strings after 20 hours of play, then comments might include how the strings played around the 10 hour mark).

As we all know, string performance can decrease dramatically after only a few hours. I generally love fresh poly, but I can't stand most poly string after I've played with it even as little as two ot three times (though some maintain themselves longer). So many polys that I love fresh become dead and rubbery and I hate the feeling. Bleh.

Back in my full syn gut (and I'm talking really basic syn gut) days, my string bed could look horrible - misaligned, worn, dirty, but it generally played great up until breaking. Yes, the tension went down and it was looser. But, looser than preferred isn't the same as being "dead" IMO. Today, if I'm using full poly, I'll almost always restring before breaking. Most often, I use a hybrid which neutralizes some of the poly deadening.

Bluetrain, I had the same experience with gut/poly: I could play with that until it broke. Too bad it was breaking too quickly, and gut isn't exactly cheap:)

CDestroyer
07-21-2011, 11:08 AM

I agree with you man. I have had a machine for 3 years now and I still enjoy stringing and knowing that you have a reliable string job and your strings are going to play consistently.

Once I string poly strings after losing 10 pounds I cut them out and restring.

Enjoy mon.:smile:

Larrysümmers
07-21-2011, 11:08 AM

Bluetrain4 speaks the truth. Amen,brother.

pvaudio
07-21-2011, 11:13 AM
I do string for quite a few people, including myself, and it's one of my favorite activities.

dadozen
07-21-2011, 11:14 AM
I agree with you man. I have had a machine for 3 years now and I still enjoy stringing and knowing that you have a reliable string job and your strings are going to play consistently.

Once I string poly strings after losing 10 pounds I cut them out and restring.

Enjoy mon.:smile:

You came with a very interesting point: having your own machine also lets you know that you have a realiable stringjob. Or, at least, one that you can't blame on, since you did it yourself:lol:

got spin?
07-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Stringing isnt all that boring as long as youve got South Park or Family guy on the TV in the same room as you. lol :)

Larrysümmers
07-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Stringing isnt all that boring as long as youve got South Park or Family guy on the TV in the same room as you. lol :)

Last time i strung Ricky Bobby was on, that was the longest string job ever lol.

dadozen
07-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Boy, if I string watching TV, I usually take twice as long to finish it...:D

mikeler
07-21-2011, 11:37 AM
I too enjoy stringing. Had a ball a few weekends ago with my new rackets stringing all 3 outside in the heat.

Larrysümmers
07-21-2011, 11:41 AM
I too enjoy stringing. Had a ball a few weekends ago with my new rackets stringing all 3 outside in the heat.

why outside. i am in a room climate controlled to 65*F

dozu
07-21-2011, 11:43 AM

what is this 'outside in the heat' business? are you trying to give a tan to the strings?

Meaghan
07-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Bottle of rioja, some sport on the tv and a good ol' stringjob.......very enjoyable.......

I too enjoy a fresh stringjob but now its for important matches which happens to be every week!! :)

pvaudio
07-21-2011, 11:54 AM
what is this 'outside in the heat' business? are you trying to give a tan to the strings?
:lol: Post of 2011.

pvaudio
07-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Bottle of rioja, some sport on the tv and a good ol' stringjob.......very enjoyable.......

I too enjoy a fresh stringjob but now its for important matches which happens to be every week!! :)Mmm, I am a huge fan of the Tempranillo grape myself :)

JackB1
07-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Boy, if I string watching TV, I usually take twice as long to finish it...:D

I agree. If u want to get done quickly, you need to pay attention to what u are doing. Better to just put on some good music or listen to an audio book.

mikeler
07-21-2011, 12:06 PM
why outside. i am in a room climate controlled to 65*F

I'd prefer that.

Nap time is sacred. I'm not allowed to risk waking up my boy, so I'm banished to the garage in the afternoon if I want to string. I'm too tired to do it at night.

TenFanLA
07-21-2011, 12:17 PM

You are CRAZY! just like me. Your story describes me perfectly except that I use the Klippermate. Using a fresh poly for each match, e.g. BHBR, RPM, Alu Power, B5E, Cyclone, etc. is awesome and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I used to spend $35 x 3 rackets plus $80 for a courier each time I got my 3 rackets strung (=$185). So I paid for the Klippermate with 1 time stringing of my 3 rackets.

JT_2eighty
07-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Count me in. Getting a stringer puts you through some interesting phases.

Phase 1 "budget phase": Got a stringer to save money, so also decided to try the cheapest reels I could find, and not worry about "fancy" highly rated strings. (all the same stuff right?)... Also, might as well string my friends' racquets and save even more money, for them and me...

Phase 2 "experimentation": Decided to try the most expensive strings because now that I was saving money, I could cross VS gut with PHT, or Pacific gut with VS, or some other random hybrid I thought of while trying to sleep, but I couldn't sleep because I was thinking about stringing my own racquets, and wishing I had more racquets so I could test these 10 combos simultaneously...

Phase 3 "settling phase": This seemed to be when I thought I was done experimenting, and really loved natural gut in a hybrid. Although, I was often relapsing back to phase 2, trying some random thing I saw on tt, or thought of while driving. Often it was changing the cross from this brand to that. Strings played amazingly at first, but performance definitely trailed off over time. Started restringing more frequently...

Phase 4 "must have fresh!": I realize that MANY strings are great when fresh, so of course, buy a reel of again, some moderately-cheap poly (ditch the expensive gut) and think "I'll just restring before every match or so."

Phase 5 "reality": Ok, I'm not a twenty-something anymore, and as much as having fresh strings every day sounded and played awesomely, I'm just a recreational player, and don't really have all that free time I thought I did. Leaving the bar early because "I have racquets to string" didn't really cut it anymore, so it was back to the drawing board to find a string that plays well til it breaks, or at least more than 2 matches. Oh, and all you friends of mine, I'll still restring your racquets but my fees have now... doubled ;p

However, now I am stuck bouncing back and forth from 4 to 5 to 4 again. I know that fresh strings are just perfect, but the time factor is becoming more of an influence as well. Work is picking up (I don't work in the tennis industry), so free time (when I restring) is dwindling. Add to that my new racquet of choice is a string-eater compared to my last racquet that was a string-preserver, and well it's tough. Not only does the open pattern break strings sooner, but they feel dead even sooner than that.

Maybe it's time to sell the X-2 and upgrade to a faster machine?
Maybe it's time to switch strings again to something with better stability?
Maybe it's time to find a racquet that doesn't kill strings as fast?

I don't know, but I do know that you are not crazy at all, because if you are, then I have major issues!!

dadozen
07-22-2011, 05:53 AM
You are CRAZY! just like me. Your story describes me perfectly except that I use the Klippermate. Using a fresh poly for each match, e.g. BHBR, RPM, Alu Power, B5E, Cyclone, etc. is awesome and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I used to spend $35 x 3 rackets plus $80 for a courier each time I got my 3 rackets strung (=$185). So I paid for the Klippermate with 1 time stringing of my 3 rackets.

Boy, you are savings LOADS of money then! That's great!

Phase 1 "budget phase": Got a stringer to save money, so also decided to try the cheapest reels I could find, and not worry about "fancy" highly rated strings. (all the same stuff right?)... Also, might as well string my friends' racquets and save even more money, for them and me...

Phase 2 "experimentation": Decided to try the most expensive strings because now that I was saving money, I could cross VS gut with PHT, or Pacific gut with VS, or some other random hybrid I thought of while trying to sleep, but I couldn't sleep because I was thinking about stringing my own racquets, and wishing I had more racquets so I could test these 10 combos simultaneously...

Phase 3 "settling phase": This seemed to be when I thought I was done experimenting, and really loved natural gut in a hybrid. Although, I was often relapsing back to phase 2, trying some random thing I saw on tt, or thought of while driving. Often it was changing the cross from this brand to that. Strings played amazingly at first, but performance definitely trailed off over time. Started restringing more frequently...

Phase 4 "must have fresh!": I realize that MANY strings are great when fresh, so of course, buy a reel of again, some moderately-cheap poly (ditch the expensive gut) and think "I'll just restring before every match or so."

Phase 5 "reality": Ok, I'm not a twenty-something anymore, and as much as having fresh strings every day sounded and played awesomely, I'm just a recreational player, and don't really have all that free time I thought I did. Leaving the bar early because "I have racquets to string" didn't really cut it anymore, so it was back to the drawing board to find a string that plays well til it breaks, or at least more than 2 matches. Oh, and all you friends of mine, I'll still restring your racquets but my fees have now... doubled ;p

However, now I am stuck bouncing back and forth from 4 to 5 to 4 again. I know that fresh strings are just perfect, but the time factor is becoming more of an influence as well. Work is picking up (I don't work in the tennis industry), so free time (when I restring) is dwindling. Add to that my new racquet of choice is a string-eater compared to my last racquet that was a string-preserver, and well it's tough. Not only does the open pattern break strings sooner, but they feel dead even sooner than that.

I don't know, but I do know that you are not crazy at all, because if you are, then I have major issues!!

JT, long time no see!

I think I've skkiped some phases...:D Fresh strings are just so good... and since I don't play very often( once or twice a week - tournaments just at specific periods of the year ), I don't have to spend a lot of time stringing.

I'm guessing that a machine with fixed clamps would help you save some time.;)

JackB1
07-22-2011, 06:05 AM

Great post JT!

Only way to upgrade to a faster machine is to get one with electric tensioner.
That's about a $500-1000 jump (at least) from the X2.

You could also by an "add-on" electric tensioner that works with dropweights.

BMC9670
07-22-2011, 06:40 AM
I can't wait to string my next racquet, but not because my strings are dead, loose, or worn, but because my Club Pro hooked me up with a bunch of strings and I want to try different combos and tensions. Only, I can't bring myself to cut out a perfectly good string. I'm thinking of getting a used third frame as an "experiment" frame. Anyone do this?

pvaudio
07-22-2011, 06:44 AM
Unless a string is really awful, and I mean truly terrible, I rarely cut strings out even if the poly dies. I used to play with strings like one hour maybe two then try something different. Moved past that stage already and just want to spend more time getting on the court :D

Power Player
07-22-2011, 06:53 AM
The Stringway for me is faster than a dropweight. Constant pull on an auto dropweight = a beautiful experience.

I fire up the Spotify, pick a record and it's on.

pvaudio
07-22-2011, 06:56 AM
And BMC, you're headed down the dark path; free strings are the gateway product to addiction :D

max
07-22-2011, 07:06 AM

I enjoy it, too. I just string for myself.

BMC9670
07-22-2011, 07:10 AM
And BMC, you're headed down the dark path; free strings are the gateway product to addiction :D

Ha! You've got that right!

PureAlph4
07-22-2011, 07:33 AM

Haha! Brilliant post. I suppose I'm lost somewhere between 3 and 4 at present.

I just string for myself and a few team players at my club, but I definitely enjoy doing it unless an issue arises and you are doing a last minute job! Quite cathartic to do something manual after sitting paralytic at a desk all day.

hebrewhammer
07-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Personally, I dont like stringing MY frame, its stringing for OTHERS that is enjoyable. I strung my friends Prince Series Pro 90 the other day, and that was a blast

yem
07-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Just got my own stringer a few weeks ago and I am getting addicted. I used to string my own back in the day and just got back into it. I have already noticed a difference on the court compared to when i played them till they break.

Got a reel of BHBR 17 and it's so cheap, why not have a fresh set when I want? I'm stringing right now with some great tunes and a few beers. Can't beat it.

pvaudio
07-23-2011, 07:26 PM
A...few beers? Good lord man, it's just a stringjob haha

yem
07-23-2011, 08:09 PM
LOL, I like beer, they go down easy. I also like taking my time. An hour per job on a dropweight isn't bad. I'm such a dork for stringing and drinking on a Saturday night. It's funny how simple Saturdays become when you have kids...I digress.

parasailing
07-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Getting a stringing machine will get you all excited about different strings and some of us actually end up spending more money trying out various string types.

While I enjoy a new set of strings to play with, I am not fond of stringing racquets even though I do have a machine and thus I tend to string my racquets all in a row so I don't have to string until they all break.

tlm
07-24-2011, 07:01 PM
I don't exactly love stringing but i do love playing with new strings. I usually only play one official match a week, so i use a new string job for that match and then that racket is for practice.

Then the following week i will string the other racket up with a new string job for the next match, so i am always restringing at least once a week. So it does get a little expensive but it is well worth it to me to play matches with a new job and even my practice racket has fairly new string in it.