PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into tennis, need new racquet

Babolat90
07-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Hello!, I'm 21 years old and I'm looking to start playing tennis again. I haven't played in quite a few years. I would say I'm a 2.5 on the scale.

I'm looking at the babolat pulsion 105, wilson blx bold and babolat xs 105

Your thoughts?

jonnythan
07-21-2011, 10:34 AM
The best thing I ever did as a beginner was get rid of the oversize racquet and get a real tweener racquet.

Something like a Liquidmetal Radical or Pure Drive is the way to go.

Fuji
07-21-2011, 10:42 AM
I'll say the Head MicroGel Radical Midplus. It's basically all you need, and I can link you to tons of testimonies of how great a racket it is for most people who are just starting out all the way up to advance intermediate! :)

-Fuji

Babolat90
07-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. As for the pure drive, they look to be in the $180's which is over my budget.

flashfire276
07-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. As for the pure drive, they look to be in the $180's which is over my budget.

Which is why a MG Radical MP is only $90.

jonnythan
07-21-2011, 11:58 AM

Yeah, a Radical is $80 new these days. Lots of PD's and other similar racquets on the used market for $50-$100 too.

Power Player
07-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Bab90, check out the used section on here. It is a great way to get a high quality racquet that you can use for years.

docfischer
07-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Bab90,
The best advice I could give you is to see if you have any tennis pro shops, coaches, etc in your area that will let you demo different racquets. I found that some racquets I really did not like while others were fantastic. The tennis pro shops I had in my area did not charge for demos and really worked with me on getting a good racquet. If you do not have any pro shops in your area the demo programs online are very reasonable also. As for price, there are several used racquet avenues you can pursue if you find a racquet you like that is greater than your budget.

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-21-2011, 04:37 PM
best player I know uses a MG MP Radical dead standard.

(and this is a guy with a winning career record vs Lleyton Hewitt!)

you are unlikely to outgrow one of those things anytime soon!

meowmix
07-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Bab90,
The best advice I could give you is to see if you have any tennis pro shops, coaches, etc in your area that will let you demo different racquets. I found that some racquets I really did not like while others were fantastic. The tennis pro shops I had in my area did not charge for demos and really worked with me on getting a good racquet. If you do not have any pro shops in your area the demo programs online are very reasonable also. As for price, there are several used racquet avenues you can pursue if you find a racquet you like that is greater than your budget.

Good advice. Try to support your local shop. Failing that, support TW. The good thing about most local demo programs is that they're free (assuming you end up buying there)- TW's, while inexpensive, still does cost $20 for 4 demoes a week.

Some rackets to consider for you are the Microgel (MG) Radical MP, MG Radical OS, Prince Ozone Tour, Prince O3 Hornet MP, Wilson nTour 2 MP.

Fuji
07-21-2011, 05:48 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_MicroGEL_Radical_Midplus/descpageRCHEAD-HMGRAD.html

Here's the link for my favorite Radical made to date! :)

-Fuji

Babolat90
07-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the replies! I went with the head microgel radical mp. I was a bit worried at first since the head size is only 98. But after I tested it out I really like it. Plus I got it for $80 on sale (reg $180).

Power Player
07-22-2011, 06:00 AM
^^^

You can't go wrong with that decision. Nicely done.

JackB1
07-22-2011, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the replies! I went with the head microgel radical mp. I was a bit worried at first since the head size is only 98. But after I tested it out I really like it. Plus I got it for $80 on sale (reg $180).

String it on the low end (50-54) with a quality multi and you'll get the power of a tweener with it. The Rad MP is a bit of a "control" racquet, which requires a pretty long swing, but a powerful multi strung low should get you good pop with it.

loosegroove
07-22-2011, 06:50 AM
Yeah, I think the Liquidmetal or Microgel Radicals are great deals. And they can be found even cheaper used on the classifieds here. And don't let people talk you out of oversize rackets altogether. I'll agree that most OS rackets are terrible, but the OS Radicals, among others, are great sticks even as you advance.

Fuji
07-22-2011, 10:06 AM

Good choice! The only reason I switched away from that racket was because I got my favorite racket of all time! :)

-Fuji