PDA

View Full Version : Using various Racquets

vijay_rb
07-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Hi,

I am a 34 year old recreational player, who started playing tennis 1.5 years back. I played with some USTA Coaches and real good players for sometime and it got me hooked.
within a few months of starting a coach advised me to get a good racquet and suggested the Babolat Aero Pro Drive. (I was playing with a walmart wilson :-)) at that time I like the Babolat Pure Storm, but the USTA coach suggested that it would be tough for a beginner. so got a brand new APD !

I loved the Babolat APD for a long time, Next I wanted a second racquet when the first one went to stringing, so got a used racquet from a local sport junkyard shop. I always wanted a player's racquet, and I saw a nice Dunlop 200G (old model).

Next, I also like the APD's aero style, but thought it to be a little bulky so went for something in between, the Aero Storm (got a used one for $70)

Finally, I always wanted to keep a souvenir of Federer's Ksix-One90, so got a used one. Haven't played much with this yet.

so now I have
1) Babolat APD
2) Babolat Aero Storm
3) Dunlop 200g
4) Wison Ksix One 90

What I am confused about now is,
a) is this good to play with different racquets ?
b) What is the best option for me to re-arange my bag ?
c) I paid a lot for the new APD ($170) and hate to sell for less
d) I don't want to get rid of the KSix One 90

Any suggestions ?

LeeD
07-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Rackets are dirt cheap entertainment compared to eq of any other sport.
Motocross bikes cost $5,000....
My crap mountain bike over $1,200.
Each of my surfboards well over 200, and I have 5.
Same with my 5 snowboards.
Keep your rackets.
I've been a homeless person for 4 years, have the above and over 20 windsurf boards, 30 sails, 4 kitesurfing kites, and some other crap.
Rackets are cheap. Worse, when you buy one for $170, expect to sell it in new condition for $75.

jjs891
07-21-2011, 02:44 PM
LeeD

Where do you keep all this stuff?

ssonosk
07-21-2011, 02:47 PM
LeeD

Where do you keep all this stuff?

in his Babolat 12 pack bag of course

LeeD
07-21-2011, 02:49 PM
I've got a 5x7x13' container in Berkeley.
I've got a 29" x 17" x 15' container at the CalSailingClub in Berkeley.
I've got 7 windsurf boards at CalAdventures in Berkeley.
At home (gf's) are 4 windsurf boards, 2 surfboards, 2 snowboards, one mountain and one road bike.
In my van are 7 windsurf boards and 14 sails, 7 booms, and 10 masts.
None of which are worth anything as I"m eyeing a Cannondale SynapseAlloy5 for casual road riding. My g/f has two Trek4.3's, all carbon and 17 lbs max fully loaded. Her sizing is 54, mine 56, so it's not a crossover.

TheOneHander
07-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Hi,

I am a 34 year old recreational player, who started playing tennis 1.5 years back. I played with some USTA Coaches and real good players for sometime and it got me hooked.
within a few months of starting a coach advised me to get a good racquet and suggested the Babolat Aero Pro Drive. (I was playing with a walmart wilson :-)) at that time I like the Babolat Pure Storm, but the USTA coach suggested that it would be tough for a beginner. so got a brand new APD !

I loved the Babolat APD for a long time, Next I wanted a second racquet when the first one went to stringing, so got a used racquet from a local sport junkyard shop. I always wanted a player's racquet, and I saw a nice Dunlop 200G (old model).

Next, I also like the APD's aero style, but thought it to be a little bulky so went for something in between, the Aero Storm (got a used one for $70)

Finally, I always wanted to keep a souvenir of Federer's Ksix-One90, so got a used one. Haven't played much with this yet.

so now I have
1) Babolat APD
2) Babolat Aero Storm
3) Dunlop 200g
4) Wison Ksix One 90

What I am confused about now is,
a) is this good to play with different racquets ?
b) What is the best option for me to re-arange my bag ?
c) I paid a lot for the new APD ($170) and hate to sell for less
d) I don't want to get rid of the KSix One 90

Any suggestions ?

Here's a quick guide:

If you have a racquet you don't like, sell/trade it.

If you have a racquet that you absolutely love, buy another one just like it.

If you want to keep a racquet for sentimental reasons, keep it. We all do this ;)

And finally, there's nothing bad about playing around with different frames. In a match, it be odd to go from one frame to another, but if you're playing recreationally...it doesn't matter either way. If you decide to start playing competitively, I'd definitely recommend having at least two of your favorite racquet in case of emergency, though.

jjs891
07-21-2011, 02:55 PM
I've got a 5x7x13' container in Berkeley.
I've got a 29" x 17" x 15' container at the CalSailingClub in Berkeley.
I've got 7 windsurf boards at CalAdventures in Berkeley.
At home (gf's) are 4 windsurf boards, 2 surfboards, 2 snowboards, one mountain and one road bike.
In my van are 7 windsurf boards and 14 sails, 7 booms, and 10 masts.
None of which are worth anything as I"m eyeing a Cannondale SynapseAlloy5 for casual road riding. My g/f has two Trek4.3's, all carbon and 17 lbs max fully loaded. Her sizing is 54, mine 56, so it's not a crossover.

Since you have a girlfriend with a home so you're not exactly homeless, maybe??

Anyways, back to op:
If you're just playing recreationally, just keep all the racquets and enjoy them. Once you decide to compete, you probably want ot narrow down to one racquet model.

LeeD
07-21-2011, 03:03 PM
As you should well know, any relationship involving a "girlfriend" can cast you out the door and onto the streets at ANY TIME! :shock::)
Nothing is "foreever" in this lifetime, except it WILL end soon enough.
I'd been living in my cars from August'07 thru Oct'10.

jjs891
07-21-2011, 03:06 PM
As you should well know, any relationship involving a "girlfriend" can cast you out the door and onto the streets at ANY TIME! :shock::)
Nothing is "foreever" in this lifetime, except it WILL end soon enough.
I'd been living in my cars from August'07 thru Oct'10.

You got a point.

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-21-2011, 03:12 PM
I find I play better and better with pretty much any racquet the longer I stick with it. This is as true of racquets I love (my current sticks) as it is of racquets that maybe weren't quite right. (My Speed MP 18 x20s)

Even though the Speeds progressively went about the business of destroying my arm, I played better and better with them through the course of the year I had them.
However, I find switching racquets pretty bad for my game.

That's just me, though.

chanhoward
07-22-2011, 12:27 AM
Hey vijay_rb
This is what I always do:
- For rackets that I really like/feel comfortable with: Have at least 2 of them

- For rackets that I am still not sure that I will like: Play with them for a few months, change string setup etc and decide later (you got nothing to lose here)

- For rackets that I like to keep for sentimental reasons (present from father, wife etc). my favorite tennis pros' racket etc: I will keep them

- For rackets that I am sure that I do not like: Sell them asap (while they are still in a good or like new condition or still a new model in the market). Let one of my friends, family members try the racket as they might like it, and if they do like it, sell or give the racket to them.

- If I have 2 favorites rackets that I like but cannot decide which is best for me: Bring both rackets with me when I play tennis and use the racket that is best suited for the day playing condition/situation (example: use one for singles and the other for double matches)

Just my humble opinion. All the best,

Howard

TennisCJC
07-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Get 2 of the same rackets to play with on a regular basis and for competitive play. If you want to keep the others and just play around with them for fun, that's fine. But, if you want to improve quickly or play in leauges or tournaments, get 2 of your favorites and play 80% of the time with them.

Fuji
07-22-2011, 10:02 AM
I had a slew of like 9 rackets, I'm down to 4 playing sticks now. I use....

- Head Youtek Prestige Mid x2
- Prokennex Redondo (For unhappy days with my arm)
- Wilson PSC6.1 @ 14.0oz (my main doubles stick)

I also have a few KPS88's stached away for sentimental reasons! I have 2 or 3 I think, and if my arm was strong enough to keep using them I would without a doubt. They are great frames, but just too stiff for my arm.

-Fuji