PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pure Storm Tour - actual weight?

bluetrain4
07-21-2011, 05:38 PM
The specs for the most recent Pure Storm Tour, as well as the previous version, have the weight as 12.1 oz.

But, I was borrowing someone's frame today and on the frame itself, it says that the weight is 11.3 oz. If that's the unstrung weight (which I assume it is), then the strung weight would be 11.8, 11.9 oz at most.

I realize a specific model varies from frame to frame, and I know that TW's specs are based on their own measurements of a handful of frames.

But, I'd like to here from people who own with or have played with this frame. What has been you're experience - 12.1 oz or lighter?

Power Player
07-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Mine was 12.1...12.3 with OG and dampener.

Casco
07-21-2011, 06:27 PM
the TW weieghts are strung weights, and string for that racquet, with a 16x20 is 15-16 grams or so. When I do the math I get 11.8-11.9 or one could take the 320 gms that Babolat specs indicate and add the string amd we get 335-336. The 12.1 oz or 343 grams that TW has listed indicates a quality control variation or perhaps some measurement error or both. When I purchase a raquet, I have someone in the shop, who already knows the weight of the handle wrapping and other materials that are wrapped on or attached , weigh the raquet and account for these materials, than send me one that is right to the manufacurer spec. This way, not only do I get a racquet the way it was designed to be, but when I order another in the future, and place the order in the same manner, I get matching racquets.

KenC
07-21-2011, 08:40 PM
I think Babolat tries to get within +/- 7 grams of the specified weight, as I have a Bab PSL that on the throat says 320g +/- 7g.

I think Babolat has many manufacturing plants that produce racquets for them, as the three letter code on the buttcap changes. I bought two PSLGT racquets at the same time from the same source and they were perfectly identical in all characteristics and have the same three letter code. I bought a third 3 months later which has a different code and it weighed two grams less and was a little more head light than the other two. I recently bought a fourth and it had yet another code and was 5 grams lighter but balanced the same. So, I think that there are manufacturing allowances either from batch to batch or plant to plant that we have to live with. I used a local racquet technician to get all 4 to be equal and play identically.

rooski
08-09-2011, 12:54 PM
The specs for the most recent Pure Storm Tour, as well as the previous version, have the weight as 12.1 oz.

But, I was borrowing someone's frame today and on the frame itself, it says that the weight is 11.3 oz. If that's the unstrung weight (which I assume it is), then the strung weight would be 11.8, 11.9 oz at most.

I realize a specific model varies from frame to frame, and I know that TW's specs are based on their own measurements of a handful of frames.

But, I'd like to here from people who own with or have played with this frame. What has been you're experience - 12.1 oz or lighter?

Mine are 12.2 and 12.3 oz (7 pt HL and 6 pt HL). They are set up identically with PHT 16/Addiction 16, over grip, shock absorber, and protective head tape on the guard. You can get them just under or right at 12 oz with a full syn gut or multi set up and deleting the head guard tape.

Bud
08-09-2011, 01:02 PM
I'd also like to know if the twistweight on the 2011 Pure Storm Tour is correct. TW has it listed at 15.78 g∙cm² (up in APD territory)

The 2009 version was 11.29 g∙cm²

That's a huge increase in stability from the 2009 to 2011 version... considering there were only cosmetic changes.

tlimster
08-09-2011, 09:11 PM
I've used both extensively and found that the GT version is much more stable near the tip section. The old PST fluttered sometimes at the tip, so I added lead at 3 and 9 and it was fine after that. The GT is also slightly more powerful. Overall, I'd say it's better than the old version.

parasailing
08-09-2011, 10:56 PM
I've used both extensively and found that the GT version is much more stable near the tip section. The old PST fluttered sometimes at the tip, so I added lead at 3 and 9 and it was fine after that. The GT is also slightly more powerful. Overall, I'd say it's better than the old version.

Wait are you referring to the 2009 vs 2011 GT or are you refering to GT vs non GT?

counterpuncher
08-11-2011, 12:18 AM
I have found weight differences in the 3 PSTs that I have owned over the past few years.

I picked up the GT version last year and this is some 5g lighter than any of my old non-GT versions, which was a blessing for me as the SW was also less.

I found the GT version to be slightly stiffer, slightly more powerful and slightly less stable, but that is probably due to the lower than spec weight of my stick.