PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for fixing a loose Babolat APDC buttcap?

naturallight
07-22-2011, 05:50 AM
My Babolat APDC has a loose buttcap, I believe. When I shake the handle near my ear, I can hear it moving around.

I've fixed buttcaps from other manufacturers before, but I'm really having trouble with this one. The four staples are really deep. It took me about 45 minutes to get out just one of the staples, even with needlenose pliers.

I guess this is a common problem with Babs so I'm wondering if anyone else has had success here. If so, how did you get the staples out? And what did you use to secure the buttcap--some type of super glue?

thanks

loosegroove
07-22-2011, 06:33 AM
Doesn't the APDC have a trap door buttcap? So that means it's probably the trap door rattling and not the entire buttcap? I could be wrong, but just a thought.

TheOneHander
07-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Doesn't the APDC have a trap door buttcap? So that means it's probably the trap door rattling and not the entire buttcap? I could be wrong, but just a thought.

+1

I'd pop off the trap door and make sure everything's okay in that regard. If the trap door is damaged, see if you can replace it with a trap door from a new buttcap. If that doesn't work and you end up replacing the buttcap, you can just use a staple gun to secure it.

loosegroove
07-22-2011, 06:46 AM
And if it is a loose fitting trap door, you can try using some duct tape on the edges of it to make it a tight fit.

naturallight
07-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks, this is helpful. I did not know about the trap door. It's definitely more than just a sound--it feels like it moves around a little bit too. But it's weird, because it's not consistent--sometimes it feels fine, other times I notice it even on volleys.

naturallight
07-27-2011, 05:54 PM
ahh, I see what you mean about the trap door. No, that's not it. It's definitely a loose connection between the whole plastic buttcap and the handle portion of the frame.

And since I can't get the plastic buttcap off the frame, I don't think I'm going to be able to fix this. dang

brownbearfalling
07-28-2011, 01:30 AM
I would suggest either gently hammer in the staples that are already in the racquet a little deeper so they are more secure. Or If you don't mind having a few more staple in your racquet, put 1 or 2 more staples to secure the butt cap.

An easier method to take out staples is to use a sharp awl. Just lodge it under the staple and pry it up. Once you get it far enough out, you can use the needle nose pliers to take it out.

I've had the same problem on a the butt cap of a pure storm carbon x. It was squeaky and loose but only noticeable sometimes. I had to put a heck of a lot of staples to secure that thing in. If you place the staples right you won't have to use so many.

cellofaan
07-28-2011, 01:45 AM
ahh, I see what you mean about the trap door. No, that's not it. It's definitely a loose connection between the whole plastic buttcap and the handle portion of the frame.

And since I can't get the plastic buttcap off the frame, I don't think I'm going to be able to fix this. dang
You could try to pour a very liquid type of glue inbetween the buttcap and the frame and hope it takes.

If nothing else works, you could use a utility knive to cut the plastic where the staples are, take off the buttcap (with the staples and a bit of plastic still attached to the frame), then glue the buttcap back on.