PDA

View Full Version : What's better for Control... B5E at 45lbs OR RIP Control at 60

mkedda
07-22-2011, 06:36 AM
Simple question. Whats better for control

B5E at 45lbs OR RIP Control at 60?

Whats better for control?
Whats better for durability?

pvaudio
07-22-2011, 06:40 AM
The poly for both.

mkedda
07-22-2011, 11:35 AM
wow, interesting. would it also be more comfortable?

mikeler
07-22-2011, 11:51 AM

Never tried a full bed of B5E but I suspect the comfort level would be close. I still think RIP might beat it out even at 60.

Boricua
07-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Never tried a full bed of B5E but I suspect the comfort level would be close. I still think RIP might beat it out even at 60.

Never tried RIP. B5E at 52 feels stiff sometimes if one does not hit in the sweetspot. Ill be trying it full bed at 46 next week and comparing it with a hybrid of B5E mains at 48 and MCS at 52 in two Yonex RDIS 100 MP.

Torres
07-22-2011, 12:41 PM

B5E is lightyears better for control and spin. It's not even a contest.

B5E can be hard on the arm though depending on your racquet setup; it has very little elasticity and 'give' though you'll probably notice it less if you're playing in a open pattern 98+, 100+, stringing low, playing infrequently etc

RIP is easily the more comfortable.

tlm
07-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Rip control at 60 is a dead felling good control and comfort string, but sucks for bite, power and spin.

mikeler
07-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Rip control at 60 is a dead felling good control and comfort string, but sucks for bite, power and spin.

If comparing RIP to other multis, I'd say it gives you the most spin. Comfort is below average for a multi. For me, it sucks on touch shots and is missing some feel that I need for my game to thrive.

dcsrour
07-26-2011, 05:35 AM
question for mikeler...i am a 5.0 player currently using msv hex 1.18 full bed at 54 lbs for about a year now and pretty happy with it except for the occasional inconsistencies of the string bed (and not thrilled with volleys). I received B5edge today and it seems that you are very positive about this string. I would like to try full bed what tension do you recommend considering my current set up?

BMC9670
07-26-2011, 06:24 AM
If comparing RIP to other multis, I'd say it gives you the most spin. Comfort is below average for a multi. For me, it sucks on touch shots and is missing some feel that I need for my game to thrive.

RIP Control 16 has been good to my arm post surgery, but as I've lowered tension into the low 50's to get more comfort out of it, I started to spray balls long. So, I've been trying RIP Control 17 and it's been great at 58 lbs - good control, good spin, comfy on the arm, and it seems to have better touch than the 16 gauge.

Having said, that, I'm itching to try Mantis Comfort after reading mikelers tests. Sound like it might be a good one.

Power Player
07-26-2011, 06:30 AM
It matters how you swing.

TenFanLA
07-26-2011, 06:54 AM
RIP 16 was to me by far the worst feeling, least comfortable multi I used. It didn't give me much power, spin or anything really. I don't recall getting much control with it either. B5E, to be fair, is a poly so it will have more control and spin potential. At 45-47lbs I've found it to be the amateur's equivalent of Alu Power in terms of control without requiring emergency room visits for debilitated arms. It's not soft or comfortable, but compared to Alu Power, much more arm-friendly.

mikeler
07-26-2011, 09:24 AM
question for mikeler...i am a 5.0 player currently using msv hex 1.18 full bed at 54 lbs for about a year now and pretty happy with it except for the occasional inconsistencies of the string bed (and not thrilled with volleys). I received B5edge today and it seems that you are very positive about this string. I would like to try full bed what tension do you recommend considering my current set up?

Never tried it in a full bed so I can't help you with tension.

RIP Control 16 has been good to my arm post surgery, but as I've lowered tension into the low 50's to get more comfort out of it, I started to spray balls long. So, I've been trying RIP Control 17 and it's been great at 58 lbs - good control, good spin, comfy on the arm, and it seems to have better touch than the 16 gauge.

Having said, that, I'm itching to try Mantis Comfort after reading mikelers tests. Sound like it might be a good one.

Mantis Comfort is very unique like RIP. It is extremely low powered for a multi so a common complaint of locals I've given sets to is that they have to swing too hard.

BMC9670
07-26-2011, 09:34 AM
RIP 16 was to me by far the worst feeling, least comfortable multi I used. It didn't give me much power, spin or anything really. I don't recall getting much control with it either. B5E, to be fair, is a poly so it will have more control and spin potential. At 45-47lbs I've found it to be the amateur's equivalent of Alu Power in terms of control without requiring emergency room visits for debilitated arms. It's not soft or comfortable, but compared to Alu Power, much more arm-friendly.

RIP seems to be a love it or or hate it string for some reason. I find spin access fine and like the low power since I have a fast swing. I'm after comfort and control and find the 17 gauge RIP better in both. I initially tried it for durability, but that's not such as issue since I string my own and it's really cheap.

coloskier
07-27-2011, 01:36 PM
I've been playing RIP 17 for almost 9 months now. I used to have real elbow issues, but not anymore since I switched. Started at 64#, now down to 55#. It gives me the best spin that I have found in a multi, with really good control. I also have a very fast swing speed, so control is the biggest issue. It usually lasts me about 2 weeks before it breaks, and lately it has been lasting a little longer and for the first time I can actually feel it start to go dead after two weeks. Unfortunately, it seems to give it's best spin potential just before it breaks. But there is one thing I can definitely say about this string. I have a racket that is strung with Topspin Cyberblue that I get out occasionally to test spin vs RIP, and even with that racket with the string over a year old, I get more spin with the dead poly than I do with RIP new (or old). It's too bad my elbow can't take poly any more.