PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone still use global gut?

Dennis Chan
07-22-2011, 07:24 AM
If so, where do you buy them now? And is the recent batch any different than the original?

What other similar products are on the market now?

Thanks in advance.

Bud
07-22-2011, 10:37 AM
I do.. and hybrid it with Isospeed Baseline poly crosses :)

I have extra in 15L if you're looking for some ;)

scotus
07-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Bud probably stockpiled a few hundred sets.

jdunnie014159
07-22-2011, 11:17 AM
I do. The guy on e Bay sells it out of California. I think his user name is naturalgutwholesale, or something like that. If you want, I could dig up an email address for a guy in India that will sell them to you for around $6 a set if you buy in volume. I think around 50 or so sets will get you that price.

Has anybody tried the "gut" on e Bay from China that is supposedly 95% gut, 5% synthetic? I'm just curious because it's around $3 a set with free shipping.

tes
07-23-2011, 01:49 AM
I use the black and natural in hybrids. I bought 10 sets from the guy in Cal.
The natural is much stretchier than the black. The black 17G is more like 18G.
I had to forfeit my last regional ladder match due to my strings snapping in both rackets. I only had about 4 hours on the string jobs going into the match. They frayed then snapped in the center of the sweet spot.

2Hare
07-23-2011, 02:47 AM
I do. The guy on e Bay sells it out of California. I think his user name is naturalgutwholesale, or something like that. If you want, I could dig up an email address for a guy in India that will sell them to you for around $6 a set if you buy in volume. I think around 50 or so sets will get you that price.

Has anybody tried the "gut" on e Bay from China that is supposedly 95% gut, 5% synthetic? I'm just curious because it's around $3 a set with free shipping.

yep tried those. yes it's made from real gut, but no it doesn't perform at the same level as gut. I would say it's snap back performance is kind of between gut and multi, but much durable than gut though. the problem with this string is that the adhesive of that supposedly bind the gut to the syn material make the surface of the string slippery at first. but just after 1 hour or less of hitting, the adhesive creates dents where the strings cross, and increase a lot in friction. so you soon end up with strings that doesn't snap back or slide much, unless you apply lubricant, so the string's spin potential drops quite a bit after. But I'd say worth trying at that price

dozu
07-23-2011, 05:26 AM
Global used to be a reasonable alternative to name brand guts.... but they suck now

Bud
07-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Bud probably stockpiled a few hundred sets.

I did stockpile quite a bit :)

It's the old stuff. I haven't tried the new stuff :)

Global used to be a reasonable alternative to name brand guts.... but they suck now

How so?

dozu
07-23-2011, 02:55 PM
old stuff is ok with the cow gut... new stuff, who knows - sheep or whatever, no power, no durability, plays like crap.

Tennis Man
07-27-2011, 03:26 PM
I still have it on some of my racquets and it plays fine in 16G. I hardly broke any full gut setups yet.