PDA

View Full Version : More Spin / Ball Movement With Tighter String Pattern??

Matt21
02-24-2004, 10:37 AM
I have used tight-patterned Heads (Ti.Radical OS and Ti.Classic MP) and found that for some strange reason, I'm able to get more movement (spin/break) when using those rackets than when using the more open-patterned Wilsons (HPS7.1 and HPS Surge). I really see more jump/movement on my serves (slice and kick). I'm not really doing anything different (at least I don't think so). Am I alone in this or have others that have used rackets with tighter string patterns noticed similar behavior? Does Head seem to know something that the other manufacturers don't? It almost seems as if by comparison to Prince, Wilson, Babolat and Dunlop, their inventory seems to favor tighter string patterns.

irvine84
02-24-2004, 12:06 PM
I think string tension makes big difference. The lower tension the string bed is, the more cupping effect you'll get, and therefore you'll feel more bite on the ball. So a more open string bed with higher tension may not be better than a dense one with lower tension in terms of spin capablility. Just my 2 cents.

Gaines Hillix
02-24-2004, 05:27 PM
The biggest factors in producing spin are racquet head speed and angle of incidence of the stringbed to the ball when it's hit. The Ti-Rad OS is fairly light. You may be generating more racquet head speed with it.

Hawaii 5.0
02-25-2004, 12:39 AM
Open patterns make spin easier to acheive, but dense one's do no limit it at all, but rather give a more controlled and predictable spin.Plus they give better directional control,plus what Gaines states about the headspeed and angle of incidence.

Michael Musok
02-25-2004, 07:23 AM
The most spin I ever got out of any racquet, bar none, was a Head Ti Fire which has a dense (18 mains) string pattern. However, I had a ton of weight in the handle. As I recall, I had lead strips covering every bevel running vertically the entire length of the handle adding about 1 full ounce with a Fairway leather grip and overwrap adding still yet more. The racquet went from being under 10 ounces to about 11.5 and from being head heavy to being pretty head light. I'm convinced as already stated above that the amount of spin has more to do with racquet head speed and angle of contact with the ball than open or dense string pattern.