PDA

View Full Version : Help- multi vs. co-poly for me

YesTennis
07-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Hello- would appreciate some string advice. I'm approaching 50 years old, have gotten back into tennis seriously over the past year. NTRP 4.0. Have recently used a Head Youtek Prestige MP, but recently demoed a Wilson BLX Blade 98 and played well. Liked a little bit of the "free power" with the Blade 98. Have only played with multi's in the past. Reading a lot about using a poly or co-poly with this racquet to harness some power. I have never had arm or elbow problems, but don't wish to develop issues by using a poly. Spencer of TW recommended using Weiss Mosquito bite for this racquet (an 18g copoly). Do you think I should stay with a multi( I like TF X/1 biphase), or try a soft co-poly or poly. If you think the soft poly/co-poly would be beneficial, which would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Up&comer
07-23-2011, 07:15 AM
You might want to start with a soft soft poly main and a multi or synthetic cross.

I'd suggest trying out wesscannon mosquito bite mains and maybe mantis comfort synthetic crosses.

If that doesn't hurt your arm, try full mosquito bite. It's the best string for that racket IMO.

dozu
07-23-2011, 07:16 AM
polys are the last thing you wonna try to 'harness power'

if you are happy with multi, then don't change a thing.... the only reasonable option I can see, is if you are not happy with tension holding or durability, or if you want more power, switch to gut.

also see my 'plants vs. zombies' thread..... no disrespect, you sound like the 99.5% crowd who should never touch polys with a 10 ft pole :)

YesTennis
07-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Appreciate your quick feedback. Do you have a link to the zombies vs plants that you referenced? Couldn't find it under the search function.

You seem to agree with they guys at TW that the Weiss MB is "the string" for the BLX Blade 98.

YesTennis
07-23-2011, 07:46 AM
With the Weiss MB, would you recommend dropping the tension for a first time user since it's a poly? If so, how much? I've read that many will drop the tension with a poly about 10% as a first time user.

Up&comer
07-23-2011, 08:00 AM
With the Weiss MB, would you recommend dropping the tension for a first time user since it's a poly? If so, how much? I've read that many will drop the tension with a poly about 10% as a first time user.

That would be a good idea. 10 percent is a good start.

dozu
07-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Appreciate your quick feedback. Do you have a link to the zombies vs plants that you referenced? Couldn't find it under the search function.

You seem to agree with they guys at TW that the Weiss MB is "the string" for the BLX Blade 98.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=389611

no, I am not agreeing that Weiss is "the string"... that sounds like a sales pitch to me.... there is no such thing as "the string"... everybody plays different.

klementine
07-23-2011, 08:07 AM
I love multis.. and syn.guts... generally hate polys.... but that said....

Really enjoyed Lux M2Pro.... do not treat it as a poly and string 10% lower... string at your normal range and try it out.

Durable... holds tension well... really soft... strings slide back into position allowing for spin potential... and performs well in 18x20 patterns. Powerful... but not in the multi range.

Jerry Seinfeld
07-23-2011, 09:00 AM
I would suggest using an initial tension of 44 lbs for Mosquito Bite in a Blade 98.

mikeler
07-23-2011, 10:32 AM
You might want to start with a soft soft poly main and a multi or synthetic cross.

I'd suggest trying out wesscannon mosquito bite mains and maybe mantis comfort synthetic crosses.

If that doesn't hurt your arm, try full mosquito bite. It's the best string for that racket IMO.

I 2nd this suggestion. Mantis Comfort is so soft that it will take the minor harshness out of the thin poly.

YesTennis
07-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Many thanks for the added help and suggestions.

parasailing
07-24-2011, 12:16 AM
If money isn't a factor, go with natural gut as it's the best string offering good power, control, and good on the joints.

Otherwise, stick with a multi as polys though they are getting softer, why risk injury when you are getting up there in age and just returning to the game? You don't want to get a serious injury and not be able to play.

sepidoel
07-24-2011, 07:49 AM
Perhaps you should slowly shifting from hybrid with poly as cross, then hybrid with poly as main and full poly at last. The process will gradually add stifness and better control. I tried them all and decided to use hybrid with poly as main since its characteristic is the best suited for me.

As the poly string I suggest Polystar Energy 17. I remember when I first tried it felt quite stiff, but became softer pretty fast. It isn't expensive either.