PDA

View Full Version : Customizing Wilson BLX Pro Tour

yufufi
07-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been playing tennis for the past two and a half years. I started with a prince o3 red as it 'looked' good on the shelf - I had no clue about racquets.
After a year or so my coach suggested that I should demo racquets and I did. Among the ones I tried I liked the BLX Pro Tour and I bought that one. Again I didn't know what to look for but the racquet just felt comfortable.

The other day I had a chance to play with wilson blx six.one 95 and to that day I didn't know a racquet could feel that way. I can't say it was better but it wasn't worse for sure. It was very different. The racquet felt heavier, stiffer and more stable. With BLX Pro Tour I feel like I'm hitting the ball but with the six.one I feel like racquet hits the ball. I tried serving with it and it felt much nicer. It's hard to express the difference but six.one feels like more stable and powerful, when I try to over-power it things don't get worse. Whereas in pro tour if I swing harder things get out of control. (Unfortunately I'm bit a aggressive player and try to do more than my skills allow me to)

Is there any lead tape customization I can apply to pro tour to make it feel more like six.one? Or should I stop finding excuses and just try to improve my game? :)

Rogael Naderer
07-23-2011, 12:38 PM
That's a tough one, what strings are you using and what was in the Six. One when you demoed it?

Also what are the specs (weight, balance point) of your racquets? (measured by yourself)

yufufi
07-23-2011, 04:23 PM
I have a Dunlop Silk 16 on my racquet with 53lbs tension. I don't know what was on the six.one unfortunately.

I didn't measure my racquet, I was hoping that whatever it says on it should be correct :)

yufufi
07-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Btw, I'm open to switching to another racquet if you have any suggestions. I searched online and Head Youtek Prestige MP seems to be something in between (6.1 and pro tour) But I also read reviews that says it's quite the opposite.

Rogael Naderer
07-24-2011, 03:46 AM
The Prestige MP has many fans, I found it comfortable, powerful, stable and easy to swing.

If I weren't playing my current frames I would switch to it in a heartbeat!

vincent_tennis
07-24-2011, 04:18 AM
would you care to tell us in what way your current racquet feels "wrong"?

yufufi
07-24-2011, 09:59 AM
It doesn't feel very stable on fast swings from the baseline or on the serve. If I hit off center, racquet tends to rotate quite easily as well.

racquetfreak
07-24-2011, 10:11 AM
i hate to say it, but practice and trying to improve your strokes, preferably with some profesional help, will do much more than switching racquets unless you are a 5.0+ playing with a t2000.

yufufi
07-24-2011, 04:36 PM
i hate to say it, but practice and trying to improve your strokes, preferably with some profesional help, will do much more than switching racquets unless you are a 5.0+ playing with a t2000.

Oh no that's fair advice :) And that's why I'm trying to avoid buying a new racquet as I know for sure my problem is not the racquet. That being said, after I tried the six.one I thought maybe there could be an adjustment I can try on my racquet to make it feel better. Even at my level I think racquet can make some difference.

Anyways, I did some online searching and decided to try something I found. I've found another racquet that has slightly higher weight & swingweight than mine (babolat pure storm gt) Added 6 grams to my racquet to make it more like the babolat and gave it a try. I did one session with the ball machine, I kind of like it :)

Rogael Naderer
07-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Added 6 grams where if I may ask?

yufufi
07-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Added 6 grams where if I may ask?

5.8 grams @ 10.6 inch
.2 grams @ 21.7 inch

Virtua Tennis
07-25-2011, 12:23 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been playing tennis for the past two and a half years. I started with a prince o3 red as it 'looked' good on the shelf - I had no clue about racquets.
After a year or so my coach suggested that I should demo racquets and I did. Among the ones I tried I liked the BLX Pro Tour and I bought that one. Again I didn't know what to look for but the racquet just felt comfortable.

The other day I had a chance to play with wilson blx six.one 95 and to that day I didn't know a racquet could feel that way. I can't say it was better but it wasn't worse for sure. It was very different. The racquet felt heavier, stiffer and more stable. With BLX Pro Tour I feel like I'm hitting the ball but with the six.one I feel like racquet hits the ball. I tried serving with it and it felt much nicer. It's hard to express the difference but six.one feels like more stable and powerful, when I try to over-power it things don't get worse. Whereas in pro tour if I swing harder things get out of control. (Unfortunately I'm bit a aggressive player and try to do more than my skills allow me to)

Is there any lead tape customization I can apply to pro tour to make it feel more like six.one? Or should I stop finding excuses and just try to improve my game? :)

What you like about the six one is the balance and weight of the frame. The Blx pro tour is a lighter racquet with no swing weight it's a racquet made for people who like to muscle the ball.

What you can do is find a store that has a racquet analyzer so they can test a six one's swing weight, weight and balance of the frame and help you customize your blx pro tour to play as close as possible to the six one.