PDA

View Full Version : EXO3 Rebel 95- port hole vs. string hole grommets?

RobFL
07-23-2011, 10:32 AM
For people who have played this frame with both types of grommets, can you tell me the difference between the two if any? I've been playing it for 3 weeks now with port grommets only and am getting excellent results from this frame, it has really suprised me. Play senior 4.5 singles & dubs on har-tru and it is really performing.

klementine
07-23-2011, 10:44 AM
-Port grommets felt more powerful to me... less solid feel... but really opened-up the sweetspot.... but at the same time was a less consistent string-bed.

-Hole grommets had a more traditional feel.. sweetspot felt true to size of racquet head and was more control-oriented. Stiffened things up a bit.

RobFL
07-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Klem, thanks that is about what i expected. The port grommets do yield a big sweetspot for a 95 frame.

corbind
07-23-2011, 11:21 PM
I demo'ed The EXO3 Black. One with port, one with string hole. I loved the port. It just felt fantastic. Then I ordered the string hole the following week and it was horrible. I cold not believe there was that much difference.

So to be scientific, I re-ordered both demos to arrive the same day. Tested. Same results. Your mileage may vary...

jayserinos99
08-18-2011, 01:58 AM
I just recently did an experiment with my EXO3 Rebel; I opted to do port mains and hole crosses. At first I liked the extra pop and spin and slightly muted feel but after a few outings what I noticed was that the level of control slightly suffered when the strings were getting looser and once I lose that tiny bit of confidence my game goes downhill pretty fast. In the end, I decided to go back to the all hole setup that I'm comfortable with.

un6a
08-18-2011, 05:15 AM
On my Speedport Black I prefer string hole grommets, but i changed top grommet for mains to port recently. I just want to reduce SW a bit and top port grommet is about 1.5g lighter than string hole grommet (whole set of port grommets is about 4g lighter than set of string hole grommets). I wonder if there will be noticable difference in feel and control when changing just top grommet. I will report back when my racquet will return from stringer.

sansaephanh
10-20-2011, 09:18 PM
This is interesting, my friend ruined one of my hole grommets on one of my rebels, and I saw both types of grommets... THREAD REVIVAL TIME!!!!

Would I need a boomerang tool to string this? My friend's gamma x-2 does not have a brake system, so stringing my rebel was a pain in my tush.

Is there really such a difference in feel?

How would this react if I put ports in the crosses and holes in the mains? (just to make stringing easier lol)