PDA

View Full Version : Vlkl C10 Pro Club!

Pages : [1] 2

Shasha
07-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Hello;

I've been testing my C10 Pro (2008 Version), and I'm so impressed. It weights like 350 grams with the overgrip plus the dampener, but his H.L. balance, do this stick, a friendly arm racket.

I'm very impressed, its so playable, the feel with the ball is really great, it hasn't a big sweet spot, but this racket, has a lot of control, I've never found a racket with more control than this, anyway I didn't tested all the rackets of the world obviously, but the control and the precision are great too.

One thing that I loved from this stick, is the spin, is so easy use it to generate a lot of spin, it impressed me so much.

I liked it on the serve, it's easy move this racket to generate power, at least it's easy for me, I loved the feeling hitting with the backhand or forehand, this stick impressed me in general.

Let here your opinions and screenies, about this famous and great stick, Vlkl answered me on Facebook, and they told me that they're working on new cosmetic for 2012.

Join our club!

Regards,
Carlos. :)

mctennis
07-23-2011, 09:53 PM
I use the C10 Pro Tour model. I liked this model better than the C10 version. I still use the C10 Pro Tour as my main racquet. It is a great stick. Nothing wrong with the C10 Pro. I just thought the PT was a little more stable at the net and I had better control with it. I'll be an honorary member I guess.

Automatix
07-24-2011, 01:19 AM
I don't use one because I couldn't get my hands on my favourite of the C10 Pro line the Xtended version.

Loved that frame. Lighter than the standard, ca. 310g, 27,6 inches long. Very mobile.

Shasha
07-24-2011, 03:52 AM
It's a classic frame, but it's the favourite stick of a lot of people from the whole Vlkl series, it's nice.

Regards,
Carlos.

Shasha
07-25-2011, 02:14 PM
I've been playing 2 hours today with it, I'm lovin' and lovin' and lovin' it each day that I use it...

100% graphite, thats great!

Cesare
07-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Count me in, i own the second version, post fischcale. one handed backhands are just insane, very soft in the upper hoop, it flexes very much on that side. Overall, i love more the torsional stability of the Tour 10 gen 1, but the C10's touch and volleys are topless. IMHO the Black and Yellow 2008's version it's one of the best paint-job ever.

T3NN15
07-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Great racquet!

5imon
07-25-2011, 06:49 PM
I demoed c10 pro last Sept., loved the feel of it, but i wasnt good enough to play with such heavy stick :???: After couple months of hard work, i think im ready for this beauty and the price on tw is really sweet too. Im planning on getting it soon :)

Cesare
07-25-2011, 07:38 PM
I demoed c10 pro last Sept., loved the feel of it, but i wasnt good enough to play with such heavy stick :???: After couple months of hard work, i think im ready for this beauty and the price on tw is really sweet too. Im planning on getting it soon :)

and that 2008 version stills really beautiful. probably even better cosmetics than my bumblebee version. better than the new yellow one, and it's the same racquet, but way cheaper. nice.

McLovin
07-26-2011, 02:33 AM
Alas, I am leaving the C10 Pro club in the near future. It has absolutely nothing to do with the frame itself with the exception of the weight. And again, it is not the fault of the frame, just that my shoulder can no longer handle the heft vs. college players for 3 sets.

I weighed mine the other day, and w/ strings/overgrip/dampener, it came in @ 12.6oz. I'm now looking at frames in the 12-12.2oz range to see if it helps with longevity.

Great frame, just too much heft for my 43yr old shoulder to handle. Look for some used 2008s in the 'For Sale' section in the coming weeks...

Shasha
07-26-2011, 04:24 AM
Alas, I am leaving the C10 Pro club in the near future. It has absolutely nothing to do with the frame itself with the exception of the weight. And again, it is not the fault of the frame, just that my shoulder can no longer handle the heft vs. college players for 3 sets.

I weighed mine the other day, and w/ strings/overgrip/dampener, it came in @ 12.6oz. I'm now looking at frames in the 12-12.2oz range to see if it helps with longevity.

Great frame, just too much heft for my 43yr old shoulder to handle. Look for some used 2008s in the 'For Sale' section in the coming weeks...

I'm sorry for that, dude, I found the stick so arm friendly.

Regards,
Carlos.

Shasha
07-26-2011, 04:26 AM
and that 2008 version stills really beautiful. probably even better cosmetics than my bumblebee version. better than the new yellow one, and it's the same racquet, but way cheaper. nice.

Bought mine some weeks ago, strung, received it at my house etc, for like 110 euro, it's not expensive, I prefer 2008 cosmetics than 2011, anyway I like both, Vlkl told me that they're working in a 2012 version with new cosmetics.

Regards.

Ross K
07-26-2011, 04:35 AM
It has long been one of my fave frames ever. Love the balance and weighting. It swings just beautifully. Great for those more inspired, intuitive moments too. Agree with post re the spin - really got a lot of kick off serve. It's too soft for my present tastes. Plus my 1st serves were always a bit underwhelming ("operator error.") Undoubtedly though, a fantastic stick.:)

R

McLovin
07-26-2011, 05:50 AM
I'm sorry for that, dude, I found the stick so arm friendly.

Again, I also found it arm-friendly, its just that my shoulder becomes fatigued from the weight & me trying to hit w/ 5.0 players 1/2 my age in 100 degree heat on clay.

Change it to fast indoor courts, and I can still hang w/ the young guns, but when my strike zone is raised to above my shoulders, eventually I become worn down. I've tried moving in and moving back, but in each case my whole game gets screwed up.

I probably need some form of surgery, but I'm not willing to take 6-9 months off. And to reiterate, I believe the injury comes from repeated falls on the wakeboard & snowboard, where my arm is either snapped back hard or my shoulder driven into the ground, NOT the racket.

TennisMaverick
07-26-2011, 05:53 AM

You would transition really well into the London. That is also the Volkl recommendation for your concerns. If you play above a 5.5, then give either of the X 10s a shot, as they are the nano tech upgrades of the C 10.

TennisMaverick
07-26-2011, 05:57 AM
I've tried moving in and moving back, but in each case my whole game gets screwed up.

Instead of camping out deep or shallow, stand where the ball is comfortable for you where they hit the deepest, and then, learn to walk-thru all balls during contact, like approach shots, and you will never have this issue. Each time you hit the ball moving forward, retreat to you original real estate position from where you started. Sampras used to do that all the time when he was just becoming great, around '90, when his groundies were still suspect because his serve was not yet too much for everyone. It kept his BH from being shredded.

Shasha
07-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Bump!!!! :)

fuzz nation
07-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Bump!!!! :)

Oh no you didn't!

Yep, this honey's got me nicely hooked as well. Fortunately, a buddy warned me about the upper hoop flex and how these racquets can be "tip dead", or I might have thought the the 2nd hand C10's I first picked up a while back were all used up. Have to admit that I've grown to appreciate that personality quirk and I even wonder whether that flex up there in the head helps to "magnify" the overall softness in this racquet. I hit a rather big one-handed backhand and keep mine strung up with rather snug 17 ga. syn. gut, but can't say I've ever even had a twinge.

I try not to get too hung up on paint jobs or superficial cheese, but I have to admit that I was quite surprised with the decision to change from the '08 look - an oh-so-sexy beast - to the "unfortunate veneer" they've got now. Had to wonder if they'd lost their pride back in Germany! Mine are the hilarious bumble-bee generation... loud and proud. Good to hear that a new attempt at a decent look for this Volkl is in the works.

Shasha
08-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Have been like 3 hours playin' with it today, my arm didn't get tired.

That's a good new.

Shasha
08-04-2011, 01:45 PM
A pic from my Vlkl C10 Pro (2008 Version)

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4231/dscf1796t.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/dscf1796t.jpg/)

TennisMaverick
08-05-2011, 11:38 PM
A pic from my Vlkl C10 Pro (2008 Version)

I have a 2008 Stealth. Are you playing with yours stock?

Shasha
08-06-2011, 02:42 AM
I have a 2008 Stealth. Are you playing with yours stock?

Yep, I do.

Anyway I can find that 2008 model at some shop in Spain for like 100 euro or less.

hoodjem
08-06-2011, 06:49 AM
With those specs, I am tempted. Does the 2008 version play the same?

(I like its 2008 pj better.)

bad_call
08-06-2011, 07:00 AM

great frame but didn't have enough "teeth" for this kicking 60 yr old player. moved to 12-12.2 oz strung racquets and getting better results. :)

OzNQc
08-07-2011, 01:57 AM
Hopefully TennisMaverick and others can chime in on aspects of the C10 Pro with respect to my T10 VE MP bats.

I remember seeing a post by Rush or someone who mentioned that the T10 VE MP was the direct followup of the C10 Pro rather than the DNX and PB sticks.

Can any of you remember this?

More importantly, can you confirm this in practical terms if you have played with both?

What is the sweet spot comparison between the two in practical terms?

I am not sure how the C10 Pros spec out in terms of Swing Weight but all my T10 VE MPs were 313-115 in SW which from memory, is well below the average SW of 320 measured on TW. I could be wrong there ;) I remember someone saying that later production volkl models have reduced SW.

Anyway, how do your C10 Pros feel in SW?

Even better, have you measured your bats?

Once my 4 T10 VE MP bats die, it is time to look for new and similar candidates so all the info is appreciated.

TennisMaverick
08-07-2011, 02:17 AM
Hopefully TennisMaverick and others can chime in on aspects of the C10 Pro with respect to my T10 VE MP bats.

I remember seeing a post by Rush or someone who mentioned that the T10 VE MP was the direct followup of the C10 Pro rather than the DNX and PB sticks.

Can any of you remember this?

More importantly, can you confirm this in practical terms if you have played with both?

What is the sweet spot comparison between the two in practical terms?

I am not sure how the C10 Pros spec out in terms of Swing Weight but all my T10 VE MPs were 313-115 in SW which from memory, is well below the average SW of 320 measured on TW. I could be wrong there ;) I remember someone saying that later production volkl models have reduced SW.

Anyway, how do your C10 Pros feel in SW?

Even better, have you measured your bats?

Once my 4 T10 VE MP bats die, it is time to look for new and similar candidates so all the info is appreciated.

The T10 VE MP was the direct follow-up stick to the T10 MP, which suceeded the C10 Pro, and was a throw-back to their heyday in the 80's with the VE TR 25 and T 9 30, but it was a fairly large diversion, since it was much stiffer. It could do everything, but it was definitely designed for the topspin hitter, and not the all-round feel type hitter which is usually associated with the 10 Line. Unfortunately, the market didn't like the traditional Volkl shape--although the T10 VE Mid is my all-time favorite.

The current C10 Pro is a little stiffer in the upper hoop, but nothing compared to the T10 VE MP. All 10s post C10 Pro, the T10, T10 VE, DNX 10, PB 10, and X10, all have much stiffer upper hoops. If you are looking for a replacement for your T10 VE MP, and if you want closer in material, weight and design, go with the London. Otherwise, the X10 325 is it, if you want to go heavy nano. It will do what you do with your VE with your standard shots, but much more with the difficult and emergency shots. It also has more bite. The stiffness level is similar, but the X10 feels much softer on contact.

OzNQc
08-08-2011, 05:48 AM
Thanks tennismav!

I'll make sure to check out some of those T10 VE MP replacement candidates at some stage. It won't be any time soon but it is good to know what is coming up plus they may get dirt cheap in the future! I checked out the stock X10 325 specs and it looks pretty similar to the stock T10 VE MP specs. Then again, the specs are only a starting point and it really is about how the bats feel in the hand in the end ;)

By the way, I don't play my T10 VE MPs stock. I have modified my T10 VE MPs to make them heavier (350 g) and I love them! Also, I play a hybrid setup with the strings, i.e., co-poly mains and synthetic crosses. However, I do wonder what natural gut would be like in it again! I once played with gut mains and co-poly crosses (Klip adrenalin?). It really felt too mushy and lacked the power that I normally get. It was a very weird natural gut experience in comparison to those with the wilson hypercarbon prostaff 5.0 bats which I used many moons ago! Do you have any thoughts on this?

You are right about the topspin capability of the T10 VE MP and it being a solid racquet but there is one other thing, they have awesome power especially on return of serve!!!!! I didn't really understand what you meant by heavier nanotech being able to deal with difficult and emergency shots. It would be great if you could explain this further. In my case, the T10 VE MPs have been fantastic on the difficult and emergency shots too! They are the best sticks that I have ever played with!!! Moreover, the experience is sweeter because I have won and lost some incredible matches with them!!

max
08-08-2011, 08:06 AM
My C-9s are weighted up to 349 g. I like the fact that they have the Big Grommets, which are not in the C-10s. I'll take an honorary membership, if you'll let me in, and note that my C-9s are getting older and battered, and I'll step into a C-10 setting in about another year or so. God the C-9 is ugly! Love the C-10 2008 paint job FAR better: lot to be said for basic black.

TennisMaverick
08-08-2011, 08:54 AM
My C-9s are weighted up to 349 g. I like the fact that they have the Big Grommets, which are not in the C-10s. I'll take an honorary membership, if you'll let me in, and note that my C-9s are getting older and battered, and I'll step into a C-10 setting in about another year or so. God the C-9 is ugly! Love the C-10 2008 paint job FAR better: lot to be said for basic black.

A good replacement for the C 9 Pro is the London. It's dwell time is comparable to the BGT.

Shasha
08-14-2011, 04:49 AM
Yeah 2008 cosmetics are really cool! :D

tennisamba
08-14-2011, 06:23 AM
TM,

can you please tell me how the T10 II gen plays with respect to T10 VE and C10 pro? I have the opportunity to buy a T10 II gen.

TennisMaverick
08-14-2011, 10:44 AM
TM,

can you please tell me how the T10 II gen plays with respect to T10 VE and C10 pro? I have the opportunity to buy a T10 II gen.

That T10 Gen II was a favorite with a lot of C 10 users. It is stiffer in the upper hoop, so those who complained able the wet noodle feel or needed more power, went to that frame. It was a very easy transition. Both Kevin Kim and Eric Taino used them past '05, and they were painted to look like C 10s.

The T10 VE MP I assume(forget about the Mid if you are not a 5.5 player, PERIOD)?

If so, then you would like it if you preferred more topspin and had less feel to your game than a typical C 10/T10 user. It is stiffer throughout and more powerful. It was a really good Volkl for those who wanted the Volkl feel/precision with some more power, like a Wilson 6.1 of the time. It also had the BITD V-Bridge, which lengthened the mains and stiffened the bridge, so there was more bite. If you have a faster swing, this is a good stick to choose.

tennisamba
08-14-2011, 03:53 PM
The T10 VE MP I assume(forget about the Mid if you are not a 5.5 player, PERIOD)?

This racquet

http://www.voelkl-tennis.com/cms/front_content.php?idcat=30&idart=47

TennisMaverick
08-14-2011, 04:06 PM
This racquet

http://www.voelkl-tennis.com/cms/front_content.php?idcat=30&idart=47

Dude...seriously? I gave you the rundown on the Gen II!

I asked you which VE you were referring.

tennisamba
08-15-2011, 02:47 AM
Dude...seriously? I gave you the rundown on the Gen II!

I asked you which VE you were referring.

Sorry TM:oops:

I put the wrong link! Yes I meant MP.

Thanks a lot for all the info.

I am going to buy it !

TennisMaverick
08-15-2011, 03:18 AM
Sorry TM:oops:

I put the wrong link! Yes I meant MP.

Thanks a lot for all the info.

I am going to buy it !

Cool....most who used that stick loved it.

Ramjet
08-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Agree on C10 pro 2008. I use it with a full bed of SPPP at 51lbs. Stick has awesome power, feel and spin. I tried various different racquets but just kept coming back. It does everything well, and actually swings fairly light for its weight. Very arm friendly also. Since the racquet is so soft, i think it does well with a little stiffer string (like the SPPP) rather than a gut or multi.

Shasha
08-22-2011, 01:48 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=393382

tennisamba
08-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Cool....most who used that stick loved it.

The Gen II arrived yesterday. Can you please suggest strings and tension?
I usually play with Gripper around 24 kg on the V1.
Thanks in advance!

TennisMaverick
08-27-2011, 03:05 AM
The Gen II arrived yesterday. Can you please suggest strings and tension?
I usually play with Gripper around 24 kg on the V1.
Thanks in advance!

This is a soft, traditional graphite frame, softer than the V1 with a stiffer hoop than the C10 Pro. Your V1 tension range should be a good start. If you want a stiffer string bed, string it 24kg both cross and mains. If you want a more plush string bed, like the V1, drop the cross string tension 1 kg.

tennisamba
08-27-2011, 03:59 AM
This is a soft, traditional graphite frame, softer than the V1 with a stiffer hoop than the C10 Pro. Your V1 tension range should be a good start. If you want a stiffer string bed, string it 24kg both cross and mains. If you want a more plush string bed, like the V1, drop the cross string tension 1 kg.

The racquet now has a poly at 24/23. I 'll try it and then I cut and follow your suggestion. Thanks!

TennisMaverick
08-27-2011, 04:37 AM
The racquet now has a poly at 24/23. I 'll try it and then I cut and follow your suggestion. Thanks!

Poly at that tension is pretty tight. I hope that you are hitting on red clay and swing very fast!

tennisamba
09-04-2011, 12:06 AM
Poly at that tension is pretty tight. I hope that you are hitting on red clay and swing very fast!

TM,

can you explain me why?

TennisMaverick
09-04-2011, 04:57 AM
TM,

can you explain me why?

It's a feel stick, and very soft. If you string it tight with poly, there will be no power and little responsiveness off the string bed, so you will have to swing fast to generate. Hitting flat with full poly is useless and painful. Hitting heavy topspin on hard court, invites getting attacked on the first short ball. Hence, you better be swinging fast, hitting topspin, and doing it on clay.

tennisamba
09-05-2011, 02:56 AM
It's a feel stick, and very soft. If you string it tight with poly, there will be no power and little responsiveness off the string bed, so you will have to swing fast to generate. Hitting flat with full poly is useless and painful. Hitting heavy topspin on hard court, invites getting attacked on the first short ball. Hence, you better be swinging fast, hitting topspin, and doing it on clay.

Thanks TM !

tennisamba
09-08-2011, 03:43 AM

I have tried it and I am really impressed. I used just a couple of minutes on hard court and then 30 mins on clay. Now I cut the strings and use Gripper on it. It's very soft and I am amazed on how precise it is. Probably it is wrong what I am saying but the feeling in the string bed reminds me a 18x20. On clay, where I could swing slower I have really appreciated the ball pocketing and dwell time. I do not want to compare it with BB V1 but one thing is sure: BB V1 is not so addictive!

TennisMaverick
09-08-2011, 04:47 AM
I have tried it and I am really impressed. I used just a couple of minutes on hard court and then 30 mins on clay. Now I cut the strings and use Gripper on it. It's very soft and I am amazed on how precise it is. Probably it is wrong what I am saying but the feeling in the string bed reminds me a 18x20. On clay, where I could swing slower I have really appreciated the ball pocketing and dwell time. I do not want to compare it with BB V1 but one thing is sure: BB V1 is not so addictive!

It is a true player's frame. I assume that you play at a high level to have enjoyed it so much.

tennisamba
09-08-2011, 01:39 PM
It is a true player's frame. I assume that you play at a high level to have enjoyed it so much.

No, my level is 4.0-4.5 NTRP. I have always played with player's racquets (my first racquet was a wooden maxply mcenroe when I was 12).
I have really liked this frame because it reminds me the feeling I need to find when I construct every shot, since I have a lot of feedback to correct myself. And the feeling is beautiful, when I relax my arm, use my trunk and legs and grind the ball ...

This does not happen with my V1, which are far more generous, they give easy power even if do not hit well but they do not allow me to understand what I am doing....

TennisMaverick
09-08-2011, 03:02 PM
No, my level is 4.0-4.5 NTRP. I have always played with player's racquets (my first racquet was a wooden maxply mcenroe when I was 12).
I have really liked this frame because it reminds me the feeling I need to find when I construct every shot, since I have a lot of feedback to correct myself. And the feeling is beautiful, when I relax my arm, use my trunk and legs and grind the ball ...

This does not happen with my V1, which are far more generous, they give easy power even if do not hit well but they do not allow me to understand what I am doing....

Lead your V1 up to feel like your C10 Pro. V1s fully loaded, play real well, very cushioned, with tons of dwell time and control. I have a Classic V1 fully loaded, and just sold my loaded PB V1 to "pneumated", but they both allow me to play with anyone. It's not as precise as my PB 10 Mid/London tour, but a 102in2 is not supposed to be as dead-on as a 93in2. If you ever see a Catapult V10 online for sale, buy it. It is the VE player's version of a Cat V1, weighing-in near 12 oz strung. Mantilla and Bethany Mattick used it BITD. One of my guys uses it as soon as his wrist issue becomes symptomatic, and plays almost as well as he does with his Melbourne.

tennisamba
09-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Lead your V1 up to feel like your C10 Pro. V1s fully loaded, play real well, very cushioned, with tons of dwell time and control. I have a Classic V1 fully loaded, and just sold my loaded PB V1 to "pneumated", but they both allow me to play with anyone. It's not as precise as my PB 10 Mid/London tour, but a 102in2 is not supposed to be as dead-on as a 93in2. If you ever see a Catapult V10 online for sale, buy it. It is the VE player's version of a Cat V1, weighing-in near 12 oz strung. Mantilla and Bethany Mattick used it BITD. One of my guys uses it as soon as his wrist issue becomes symptomatic, and plays almost as well as he does with his Melbourne.

Sorry to reply late, TM.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I'll try to find a V10. Meanwhile I'll use more lead tape (gradually) and probably I also put a leather grip on my V1.

P.S. The racquet I described is not a C10 pro; it is a tour 10 Gen II.

TennisMaverick
09-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Sorry to reply late, TM.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I'll try to find a V10. Meanwhile I'll use more lead tape (gradually) and probably I also put a leather grip on my V1.

P.S. The racquet I described is not a C10 pro; it is a tour 10 Gen II.

OK....then match the balance and feel to your Gen II. You will also need to string it a few lbs tighter to match the string bed.

tennisamba
09-15-2011, 01:41 PM
V1s fully loaded, play real well, very cushioned, with tons of dwell time and control. I have a Classic V1 fully loaded, and just sold my loaded PB V1 to "pneumated", but they both allow me to play with anyone. It's not as precise as my PB 10 Mid/London tour, but a 102in2 is not supposed to be as dead-on as a 93in2. If you ever see a Catapult V10 online for sale, buy it.

Can you compare the V10 and the Sportster, please?

Does a mod BB V1 play close to the Sportster?

Thank you!

TennisMaverick
09-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Can you compare the V10 and the Sportster, please?

Does a mod BB V1 play close to the Sportster?

Thank you!

The Sportster feels softer and a little more solid. Some felt that the BB V1 was a little hollow in feel, but it was extremely popular. Modifying the BB V1 will make it feel similar to the Sportster, but at a few grams heavier. Try one gram on each inside area of the "V", and 1.5 grams on the bridge, and see how it feels.

The V10 VE is a catapult, so there is a lot of power, plus, it is 315 grams unstrung, and of course, it is a V Engine. It is the player's version of the Catapult V1; heavier and a little stiffer. It is a hefty frame.

tennisamba
09-15-2011, 08:54 PM
The Sportster feels softer and a little more solid. Some felt that the BB V1 was a little hollow in feel, but it was extremely popular. Modifying the BB V1 will make it feel similar to the Sportster, but at a few grams heavier. Try one gram on each inside area of the "V", and 1.5 grams on the bridge, and see how it feels.

The V10 VE is a catapult, so there is a lot of power, plus, it is 315 grams unstrung, and of course, it is a V Engine. It is the player's version of the Catapult V1; heavier and a little stiffer. It is a hefty frame.

Thanks a lot, TM!

My mod BB V1, following your suggestions (lead tape at 3/6/9 plus 4.5 inches along the V), plays very good. I also feel it better after replacing the syn grip with a leather one. It seems softer, less stiff and more stable. Now it weighs 318 grams, so at this point I think I do not need a sportster. I 'll save my money to try a London and I'll keep on looking for a V10, which is very hard to find.

chrischris
09-22-2011, 02:15 AM
I don't use one because I couldn't get my hands on my favourite of the C10 Pro line the Xtended version.

Loved that frame. Lighter than the standard, ca. 310g, 27,6 inches long. Very mobile.

Where can you get that version i.e. the longer one?

Cesare
09-22-2011, 03:07 PM

that's a great frame too, way better than Pure drives, etc..

TennisMaverick
11-12-2011, 11:02 PM
What kind of PJ should the next version have?

Cesare
11-13-2011, 04:59 PM
What kind of PJ should the next version have?

Mav, i hope that they will go with something new. or if they want to stay with Yellow and Black, maybe a reissue of the first Volkl Servo's color scheme, this one:

http://80s-tennis.com/pages/voelkl-servo.html

I like this one more than the World Cup's paint job.
As a side note, tonight first match with my brand new X 10 325. I'll keep you updated on the X 10 thread.

TennisMaverick
11-14-2011, 04:43 AM
Mav, i hope that they will go with something new. or if they want to stay with Yellow and Black, maybe a reissue of the first Volkl Servo's color scheme, this one:

http://80s-tennis.com/pages/voelkl-servo.html

I like this one more than the World Cup's paint job.
As a side note, tonight first match with my brand new X 10 325. I'll keep you updated on the X 10 thread.

That would actually be cool. I have a few of those, although, I didn't play with them BITD.

Rabbit
11-14-2011, 05:52 AM
Where can you get that version i.e. the longer one?

Back when the C10 lines was first introduced, there were 3 models, the C10, C10 Xtended, and C10 OS. The latter two were spectacular frames, neither sold well and both were discontinued.

mctennis
11-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Rabbit, don't forget about the C10 Pro Tour version.

TennisMaverick
11-25-2011, 10:11 PM

That stick was released late, as a limited edition; I waited almost 18 months for it. It did well, so they openly released it. I recently sold four of them to another forum member. It was solid, but needed to be strung tight to control its power, making it feel a little stiff. The PB 10 Mid was built off of it, and obviously, it's an improved version.

Rabbit
11-26-2011, 12:49 PM

Yeah, I was referring strictly to the C10 tennis racquet, not the advanced "lumber". :)

That stick was released late, as a limited edition; I waited almost 18 months for it. It did well, so they openly released it. I recently sold four of them to another forum member. It was solid, but needed to be strung tight to control its power, making it feel a little stiff. The PB 10 Mid was built off of it, and obviously, it's an improved version.

I had occasion when the PB10 Mid was out to hit with it and the C10 Pro tour side by side. They were amazing similar and IMO, the PB10 would have been a great replacement for those searching for same. At that time, there were some board members actively in the hunt.

TennisMaverick
11-26-2011, 01:55 PM
I had occasion when the PB10 Mid was out to hit with it and the C10 Pro tour side by side. They were amazing similar and IMO, the PB10 would have been a great replacement for those searching for same. At that time, there were some board members actively in the hunt.

I agree. The PB 10 Mid is more refined as expected, but the biggest difference is that it feels more solid with its longer dwell time. I expected the C10 Pro Tour to play like that because I was used to the C10 Pro, but they made the Pro Tour substantially stiffer than I thought they should have. It was similar to the '93 red Tournament Pro in that regard.

HIT MAN
11-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Just got back from a hit , had all the frames out , london tour,pbmid,c10 pro tours , my partner is also a long time c10 pro 98 user, he changed his set up slightly, removed his grip completely and just used a volkl over grip, now his frames weight in at 345 grams and 4 pts headlite , this frame stills hits big but with out the extra weight ,anybody else try this ??

TennisMaverick
11-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Just got back from a hit , had all the frames out , london tour,pbmid,c10 pro tours , my partner is also a long time c10 pro 98 user, he changed his set up slightly, removed his grip completely and just used a volkl over grip, now his frames weight in at 345 grams and 4 pts headlite , this frame stills hits big but with out the extra weight ,anybody else try this ??

When I used the C10 Pro, I had three layers of lead tape about 14 inches long between 2-5/7-10. So that would approximate what you boy did. One of my guys never uses anything but two overgrips on all of his sticks, going back to the C10 pro, T10 VE Mid, DNX 10 MP, BB 11 MP, PB 10 MP, London, Legend, and Melbourne. It make it easy to put more heft in the head without a lot of lead, and still maintains the easy racquet head acceleration. He's a lefty, so this fits right in with his game.

Ross K
11-28-2011, 01:15 AM
When I used the C10 Pro, I had three layers of lead tape about 14 inches long between 2-5/7-10. So that would approximate what you boy did. One of my guys never uses anything but two overgrips on all of his sticks, going back to the C10 pro, T10 VE Mid, DNX 10 MP, BB 11 MP, PB 10 MP, London, Legend, and Melbourne. It make it easy to put more heft in the head without a lot of lead, and still maintains the easy racquet head acceleration. He's a lefty, so this fits right in with his game.

TM, just interested... so you're saying that just by the simple addition of an extra OG (no lead mods), your guy finds more oomph whilst retaining nice maneuverability/preferred head-light balance?... or am I misunderstanding you? Cheers

0d1n
11-28-2011, 02:38 AM
TM, just interested... so you're saying that just by the simple addition of an extra OG (no lead mods), your guy finds more oomph whilst retaining nice maneuverability/preferred head-light balance?... or am I misunderstanding you? Cheers

It seems to me that what he's saying is that by removing mass from the handle it takes less lead in the head to get the right feeling of "more mass in the head"...and a balance more towards the top which he seems to prefer.
The impression of "more weight in the head" can be obtained in 2 different ways...by actually adding mass to the head...or by removing mass from the handle...and which one is more beneficial depends on the upper weight limit of each player.

If my understanding of what he is saying is correct, I very much agree with that theory.

TennisMaverick
11-28-2011, 10:55 AM

It seems to me that what he's saying is that by removing mass from the handle it takes less lead in the head to get the right feeling of "more mass in the head"...and a balance more towards the top which he seems to prefer.
The impression of "more weight in the head" can be obtained in 2 different ways...by actually adding mass to the head...or by removing mass from the handle...and which one is more beneficial depends on the upper weight limit of each player.

If my understanding of what he is saying is correct, I very much agree with that theory.

What Od1n said exactly. By removing the grip and using only one or two overgrips, there is less need for lead, or as much lead. He also feels the ball and the bevels more acutely. Boris does the exact same thing.

To be more clear, he/we use/used more lead with traditional graphite and less with nano carbon frames. With that being said, he never used a syn grip, so that allowed for some more dumping of lead tape usage. As he has gone through these iterations, the C10 pro, T10 VE Mid, DNX 10 MP, BB 11 MP, PB 10 MP, London, Legend, and Melbourne, except for the Legend going up in lead, each subsequent model has had less tape on it, to the point where his Melbourne has only 1.75 grams on the bridge, and he has never played better. All of this was done through the juniors, Futures, and collegiate tennis. Sometimes it was due to a drop in head size, like going from the C10 Pro to the T10 VE Mid, and then, going to DNX and DC, where DC is more mod sensitive, needing less lead tape. For example, using only 6-8 grams spread throughout a wide area on the London, which I wrote about on the "London Bridges" thread.

Ross K
11-28-2011, 11:30 AM
^^^Thanks for the clarification TM and Od1n.

sargeinaz
01-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Any news on what the 2012 paintjob will be for the c10? I thinking of picking a c10 up, but wanted to see if there was news of the new one before I go looking for the 2008 version. Thanks in advance.

TennisMaverick
01-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Any news on what the 2012 paintjob will be for the c10? I thinking of picking a c10 up, but wanted to see if there was news of the new one before I go looking for the 2008 version. Thanks in advance.

First drafts were done. Feedback was used for the second drafts yet to be completed. I have the 1st iteration C10, which was the only one to have kevlar, and the 2nd iteration, plus a stealth 2008, so I'm happy!

sargeinaz
01-10-2012, 08:39 PM
I thought they all have kevlar? And hopefully the new one is predominantly black!

Ross K
01-11-2012, 05:37 AM
Maybe contemplating a revisit of this frame - still have superb memories of how now nicely this rack swung for me, lovely balance/weighting/build quality, etc. What I'm wanting to know though is how low can you go with a full poly job with this? These days I'm usually @ 52's and sometimes go lower, and I never went that low previously with the C10. So what about 50lbs?... 45 lbs?... do you C10ers go that low?... is it to be advised?:)

athiker
01-11-2012, 06:30 AM
You can go pretty low IMHO. I went under 50 with my last stringjob which was multi mains and poly crosses. I will have to check my sheet when I get home for specifics and post but control is still very good. Excess power is nothing I've ever really felt with my C10 except maybe with full gut.

Edit: Just for reference this is in a fishnet version. I'll be restringing my 2008 sometime soon with a multi/poly hybrid and plan to stay pretty low again. I think my fishnet version is a tad softer/flexier/lower powered than the 2008 but could just be an age and amount of use thing.

mctennis
01-11-2012, 06:32 AM

I agree with you about stringing the C10 PT being strung tight. I usually string mine at 58-60 lbs. Anything lower than about 56 you launch balls like a rocket. I normally use gut or a gut hybrid string combination so that tames the stiffness down. Still this racquet has the best pin point accuracy of any racquet I've ever used. Second would be the earlier C10 Comp.
I demoed the PB10 Mid and didn't think it had the same feel/touch nor accuracy the C10 PT has. So I didn't buy the PB10 Mid version.

sargeinaz
01-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Ross I want to revisit it for the same reasons. It really is a phenomenal frame that I feel many people would enjoy. I played great tennis with it. Probably the best I've played. Good power with great feel for volleys and drop shots. It really allowed me to mix up my game and has power on tap when needed. I'm excited to see the new 2012 paintjob. As far as poly goes, I've never used poly. I usually use a multi at 55 or full gut at 58. I like the extra pop, especially with full gut.

athiker
01-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Ok, so re: Ross K question, I've tried cheap fleabay gut at 60...Nice feel and touch but less spin that the poly/multi that preceded it. Same gut in the mains w/ Scorpion in the crosses at 52/48...still pretty comfy and better spin. Same gut and Mantis Power Poly at 52/48...I also liked with good spin but was still looking for a bit more power.

I decided to drop some more and see what happened. Mantis Comfort Synthetic mains and Scorpion crosses at 50/45. Mantis is really soft stuff and it felt a little loose or odd in the beginning but seemed to settle in and even out and play well pretty quickly. This set up is very comfortable and as I said, I've noticed no decrease in control and accuracy after getting used to it for maybe a set. Balls don't fly crazy long if that is what you are concerned about...of course I don't know your playing style or you mine! The most control issues I had were w/ full gut after it settled and loosened up.

TennisMaverick
01-11-2012, 03:39 PM
I agree with you about stringing the C10 PT being strung tight. I usually string mine at 58-60 lbs. Anything lower than about 56 you launch balls like a rocket. I normally use gut or a gut hybrid string combination so that tames the stiffness down. Still this racquet has the best pin point accuracy of any racquet I've ever used. Second would be the earlier C10 Comp.
I demoed the PB10 Mid and didn't think it had the same feel/touch nor accuracy the C10 PT has. So I didn't buy the PB10 Mid version.

The C10 Pro had a lighter feel--not a lighter weight--but it's feel to the ball was less substantial, therefore the ball's impact had more effect on-contact. On paper, that fact would seem to make it superior, and for you, it was. For me, I found that even with my personal mods, it lacked the solidity that I found in the successor frames, the DNX 10 Mid and PB 10 Mid. I find that the dwell time on the PB 10 Mid is inordinately long, which gives my longer longitudinal swings a ton of unparalleled feel.

TennisMaverick
01-11-2012, 03:46 PM
...cheap fleabay gut at 60...

What specifically are you referring and how much, may I ask? Does it break easily during installation?

Ross K
01-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Cheers for replies ^^^.

So, yes, I just fancy an experiment. A stiffer poly like a Tornado, or a Lux, or an MSV, or a PHT (to name four strings I happen to have) to counteract the softness and strung pretty low (like, say, 48 lbs, 45lbs, something around that.) I always found a slight lack of pop, hence the low poly job suggested.

However, it just swung so fluidly and 'through the gears' for me, you could really get some rhythm and timing down and go after your shots. Weird how this balance/weighting thing works, but for reasons I admit I don't fully understand (and I don't think it's entirely explained by specs and would like to think there's some magical racket alchemy in this somehow, ie, some frames are just, well, special :) ), this racket - and a few others I've played over the years - just seems to swing so fluidly and wand-like in my hands.

But, for sure, I would need to get more heat going here, more oomph is required. :wink:

athiker
01-12-2012, 06:32 AM
What specifically are you referring and how much, may I ask? Does it break easily during installation?

Well there was some discussion of it on here a while back and some thought it was Unifibre and some thought it was Global....idk. I have written down it was $12 a set...I think that was the ave. w/ shipping. It came in a silver foil package, 2 x 20' pieces, with a white label and some print marked out with a black felt pen. I got 4 16s and one 17.

Did it break? Well I ended up getting a total of 5 sets as the seller offered me a discount on buying more. I strung a couple of hybrids with no problems and even managed to string the one full bed at 60 lbs with no breakage. I traded a set and was told it broke while stringing on the 4th main (trader knew exactly what he was getting so wasn't upset...well not at me at least!...we had already done a racquet trade). After that I had one break while on the next to last main at 57 lbs IIRC. So out of 5 sets (10 half sets really) we had two breaks while stringing (I use a Klippermate).

I'm not what I'd call a heavy string breaker though I do eventually break them. These lasted okay for me I guess but I don't have a quality gut reference point. I remember one snapped in my bag but that was after using it for a while, not right away. I don't keep hour records like some. I don't plan on buying it again...just too nerve racking stringing after the one break! The nice thing about stringing pretty low tension now is its just easier. I think I'll try some Pacific Classic next gut go-around in a full set. I have a number of multis and poly hybrids to go through first.

If you want seller details to satisfy curiosity I can email you. With a quick look I see some others but not him selling currently.

mctennis
01-12-2012, 08:53 AM
athiker, I've never had good luck with the cheap gut. I find it a lot more expensive to get one racquet strung up AND to last more than a set or two. I've given up on finding any cheap good playing gut. I'll stay with some better quality gut. That way I know I can probably get a lot more court milage out of it.

sargeinaz
01-12-2012, 09:23 AM
^^ I agree. Ive always used babolat, but will be trying out pacific prime next. Rabbit has said it's like butter and even more powerful. Sounds perfect for what I like especially in the c10

TennisMaverick
01-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Well there was some discussion of it on here a while back and some thought it was Unifibre and some thought it was Global....idk. I have written down it was $12 a set...I think that was the ave. w/ shipping. It came in a silver foil package, 2 x 20' pieces, with a white label and some print marked out with a black felt pen. I got 4 16s and one 17.

Did it break? Well I ended up getting a total of 5 sets as the seller offered me a discount on buying more. I strung a couple of hybrids with no problems and even managed to string the one full bed at 60 lbs with no breakage. I traded a set and was told it broke while stringing on the 4th main (trader knew exactly what he was getting so wasn't upset...well not at me at least!...we had already done a racquet trade). After that I had one break while on the next to last main at 57 lbs IIRC. So out of 5 sets (10 half sets really) we had two breaks while stringing (I use a Klippermate).

I'm not what I'd call a heavy string breaker though I do eventually break them. These lasted okay for me I guess but I don't have a quality gut reference point. I remember one snapped in my bag but that was after using it for a while, not right away. I don't keep hour records like some. I don't plan on buying it again...just too nerve racking stringing after the one break! The nice thing about stringing pretty low tension now is its just easier. I think I'll try some Pacific Classic next gut go-around in a full set. I have a number of multis and poly hybrids to go through first.

If you want seller details to satisfy curiosity I can email you. With a quick look I see some others but not him selling currently.

Thanks for taking the time! I guess I will stay with my Klip/BB/Volkl gut.

I bought some cheap gut maybe 10 years ago or more. I still have 2-3 sets laying around. I couldn't instal them as they broke in the machine. If I got to the crosses, flakes of the coating would cover the machine like snow, and then it would break during the cross string installation. I was hoping that I would have been fortunate, as I was during the '80's, when one of my doubles partners would have gut flown to me with a flight attendant on PIA. I would pay for this Pakistani lamb gut for $5 per set, and as long as I didn't string it over 65#, it never broke and played great! That allowed me to save my allotment of VS for matches only.

athiker
01-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Yeah, not really worth it...unless you start w/ a lucky streak or string very low. No regrets though b/c it let me try nat gut at a few different tensions and combos w/o spending $30 - $40 a pop so I have a better idea now if I try some better stuff.

Some of the stuff advertised there now, by different sellers, say do not string over 50!...so going 65 probably isn't going to happen!

Ross K
01-23-2012, 03:36 AM
Posted in the Racketaholic Diary thread yesterday but thought I'd follow up here on my previous post.

C10 Pro play-test...

Yes, I've neglected to mention a set I played last week with a frame that seems to get little love around these parts, but is another of my personal GROATs - the C10 Pro. This is a frame that for me has always had 1 major attribute and 1 major downer. The latter being the uncannily similar Exo-like terminal lack of pop on serve. 2hbh too. The former being just the fantastic way it swings for me... for teeing off on a shot, getting my timing grooved, for fluidity and rhythm, for reasons I can't actually explain and goes way beyond mere specs, I've just always got on brilliantly with this rack and its sweet swinging ways.

Anyhow, for a while I've wondered how the C10 might perform with a full poly job at way lower tension than I used to use in it, so... set up: Tornado @ 45s. No lead. And btw, it's this version:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u291/RRohan/c11080185c.jpg

I have to say this experiment was largely successful in as much as my hunch (for once) proved right... the frame had considerably more oomph (though I'd still want more.) 2hbh was much more penetrating than I recall. And if serve wasn't exactly in the 6.1 or PD+ range, it was at least more than respectable and an advance on before, and I was placing the serve very nicely too. If I was to experiment further with this rack I'd possibly hybrid, or certainly go full TB, because whilst the power was good the actual trajectory was indeed bit flatter and lower than I like. And to apply more heft (surprised by the slightly flimsy feel TBH), a tad more power too, I'd put a couple of grams (at least) at 12 and tailweight with same amount in butt to keep that same wonderful balance.

The big thing for me though, the big thinking point is, the way I can toil away for months and experiment with multiple set ups and never quite get grooved with how the Exo swings; I've played 3 times with the BLX95 and I'm still not in sync with it; it took me ages to get there with the APD; and generally, to variable amounts of time, this way of tuning into how a frame swings and getting your timing and rhythm spot on, well, it can take a while - and sometimes of course you never quite get there. And yet within less than a set, with the C10 I can find that timing and fluency and sense of being 'at one' with how it swings.

Obviously it's not all about this aspect, and in other areas the C10 doesn't quite do it for me. None-the-less, I do find this thought-provoking.

Rabbit
01-23-2012, 03:46 AM
^^ I agree. Ive always used babolat, but will be trying out pacific prime next. Rabbit has said it's like butter and even more powerful. Sounds perfect for what I like especially in the c10

When I strung mine with Classic, I strung them at 60. When I used Prime, I strung them at 63. The one time I tried VS 17 in one, I believe it was at 58. Just an FYI

hoodjem
01-23-2012, 04:17 AM
I recently got a black 2008 version used in good condition. I had my first hit yesterday indoors.

It does seem a bit "handle-heavy" and lacking in pop (compared to my Dunlops). (The strings are a full-bed of MCS, so maybe they make it too soft.) Otherwise, it seems very solid.

I am considering adding a tad of lead-tape at 2 and 10.

TennisMaverick
01-23-2012, 04:31 AM
I'm a little surprised that so many are still using or messing around with this frame. I have a few original releases, and a stealth 2008. I'm going to have to string it and give it a ride just to join in the adventure.

What say you guys on the upcoming 15th Anniversary issue, Black or Yellow?

Rabbit
01-23-2012, 04:43 AM
I'm a little surprised that so many are still using or messing around with this frame. I have a few original releases, and a stealth 2008. I'm going to have to string it and give it a ride just to join in the adventure.

What say you guys on the upcoming 15th Anniversary issue, Black or Yellow?

I say they "modernize" the original Bumblebee. The latest cosmetic is a fail IMO.

sargeinaz
01-23-2012, 05:17 AM
Predominantly black

athiker
01-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Predominantly black

I agree, I say the yellow thing has come and gone for racquets in general. I have the fishnet yellow and the black 2008; I like the yellow okay but really like the 2008 color and in general like a mostly black racquet. The BB London is probably the nicest looking racquet I've seen though.

I still love to play the C10 Pro when I'm "on"...been using my PK Ki5 a fair bit lately though. Its not as accurate but more forgiving on an "off" day. The Ki5 is very arm friendly of course but I don't get quite the satisfaction I feel after hitting a good shot with my C10. Slice backhand is not nearly as good as with the C10.

I've been trying to trade a few of my sticks for a PB7 (or London) just to try but no luck so far.

mrmike
01-23-2012, 11:17 AM
I have a couple 2008 C10 pros also but I have them on the sideline right now in favor of a Youtek Prestige MP 18x20. I get better results with the Prestige, but its definitely a little rougher on the arm. I like the feel of the C10's, but can't seem to gain good control over direction and over hitting ground strokes long. Last string / tension I used was Prince Syn original 16 @ 60lbs. I'd love to experiment some more with the C10's if I could come up with a non-poly string setup which would be controllable.

MCN
01-23-2012, 11:38 AM
I love my C10 Pro 2008 and it's great with full gut. It's a beautiful racquet but alas I seem to play better with the Organix X10 325 even though it doesn't 'feel' as safisfying. The C10 is so good for touch and drop shots.

pizikylin
02-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Hi there,

I am looking for a C10 pro fishscale paintjob. I believe this is a pretty old frame. Maybe first or second gen of this line.

But after I received pics from the sellers, I was totally confused. I've seen 3 version of C10 pro with fishcale paint.......

What I am looking for is a soft version with 98 headsize and 16*19 string pattern.

Can anyone send me some clear pics of this one? My email is kylin.info AT gmail DOT com

Thanks

rovision
05-10-2012, 02:36 PM
When is the '12 C10 Pro supposed to start selling in US?

Pneumated1
05-10-2012, 04:34 PM
From the Volkl Maestro: ""New C10 Pro, BB NYC, and X9, is on a boat and will be here on the 15th."

vantageboy
05-10-2012, 05:20 PM
From the Volkl Maestro: ""New C10 Pro, BB NYC, and X9, is on a boat and will be here on the 15th." thank you P1-give my best the TM.

Ross K
05-10-2012, 08:42 PM
From the Volkl Maestro: ""New C10 Pro, BB NYC, and X9, is on a boat and will be here on the 15th."

Is TM on the boat as well accompanying the fresh Volkl cargo?! :)

Seriously, anyone got any updates/info to share re new C10s?

Shasha
05-11-2012, 07:38 AM
I'm still using it, and I've tested a lot of frames, I love it, now I'll try to test the new Organix 10 and the Power Bridge 10 Mid.

Let's see!

/Carlos

Shasha
05-11-2012, 07:40 AM
I know its not the correct section/thread, but anybody has any news about the Vlkl team, if they're goin' to sign any new player or w/e?

Thank you.

getsby
05-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Count me in, i own the yellow version, C10 Pro Classic true to its name. Not my main stick, but the use for doubles and sparing

KneisslDestroyer
05-11-2012, 10:07 AM
I put Luxilon in very tight at one point and was carving up the ball with so much bite...I hit basically flat but slice backahnd heavy and oh boy! I can hit heavy topspin forehands if I want to...was jumping off the court...I fell in love with the new Kneissl Tom machines though and have been playing with them, that racket has a spring board effect when it hits just right, awesome on off center hits, the Volkl kinds of jars on off centers as it is so thin in its beam. I dunno, I was thinking of trying the Organix 10 cause I do love Volkl....what do you al think?

Shasha
05-12-2012, 09:17 AM
I put Luxilon in very tight at one point and was carving up the ball with so much bite...I hit basically flat but slice backahnd heavy and oh boy! I can hit heavy topspin forehands if I want to...was jumping off the court...I fell in love with the new Kneissl Tom machines though and have been playing with them, that racket has a spring board effect when it hits just right, awesome on off center hits, the Volkl kinds of jars on off centers as it is so thin in its beam. I dunno, I was thinking of trying the Organix 10 cause I do love Volkl....what do you al think?

I want to try the X10 and the PB10 Mid :P

Shasha
05-16-2012, 11:15 PM
What kind of string are you using in your Vlkl C10 Pro guys?

I need some string with a lot of control, feeling and effects.

Thank you.

fuzz nation
05-17-2012, 02:43 AM
I like to string 17 ga. syn. gut in just about everything I use. It gives me better feel - not so clunky - and perhaps better bite and performance than 16 ga. alternatives. It also seems to play generally softer and while I could probably get that softness from a decent multifiber, I prefer thin syn. gut for its "crispness". Multis can get rather mushy for me as they get used up.

I run my C10s with 17 ga. syn. gut at 61-63 lbs. They seem to feel better at 61 or slightly lower in the colder winter months. When its warmer, 62-63 is just about right for me. I've got an order of string on the way, including Gosen OG Micro, which I'll try to comment on after I try it out.

I've had better experiences with multis in softer racquets than with stiffer frames and I've sampled a couple in my Volkls. Tecnifibre X-1 Biphase was a nice surprise in the C10, especially when it was fresh and snappy. My order will also include some sets of Head RIP Control and I might have a go with a set of that stuff just to see how it works.

Ross K
05-17-2012, 03:16 AM
I like to string 17 ga. syn. gut in just about everything I use. It gives me better feel - not so clunky - and perhaps better bite and performance than 16 ga. alternatives. It also seems to play generally softer and while I could probably get that softness from a decent multifiber, I prefer thin syn. gut for its "crispness". Multis can get rather mushy for me as they get used up.

I run my C10s with 17 ga. syn. gut at 61-63 lbs. They seem to feel better at 61 or slightly lower in the colder winter months. When its warmer, 62-63 is just about right for me. I've got an order of string on the way, including Gosen OG Micro, which I'll try to comment on after I try it out.

I've had better experiences with multis in softer racquets than with stiffer frames and I've sampled a couple in my Volkls. Tecnifibre X-1 Biphase was a nice surprise in the C10, especially when it was fresh and snappy. My order will also include some sets of Head RIP Control and I might have a go with a set of that stuff just to see how it works.

Hi fuzz,

You play full multi jobs in your C10's, right?

getsby
05-17-2012, 06:56 AM
I used Volkl strings, Power Fiber II (54lbs) and Cyclone 17 (53lbs), both full bed. I did not notice much difference between the two, may be with multi, I had more power.

Shasha
05-30-2012, 10:27 AM
I'll try the Kirschbaum Helix 1.20 with 26 kg, let's see how it works :P

Shasha
05-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Btw, will TW members make a review of the C10 Pro?, it's classic and old frame, but it must has a review!, what do you think?

=)

Shasha
06-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Hows goin' guys?

=)

Cesare
06-02-2012, 05:59 PM
So, we have the 2012 version of this frame.interesting, the paint-job looks almost identical to my Tour 10 generation 1, i really love that!

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Volkl_C10_Pro/descpageRCVOLKL-C10P12.html

Ross K
06-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Look forward to hearing reports on how it plays and contrasts with past versions.

Shasha
06-03-2012, 02:22 AM
I prefer 2008 or 2010 cosmetics, its looks like the old Tour 10.

Those specs are the same of the 2008 and 2010 versions.

Cesare
06-03-2012, 03:39 AM
i prefer this one over the 2010 version, i love it

sargeinaz
06-04-2012, 07:26 AM
I prefer this pj over the 2010, but come on Volkl. Don't paint a racket to look like the Tour 10 MP, just rerelease the Tour 10 MP!

Shasha
06-06-2012, 01:31 AM
I prefer this pj over the 2010, but come on Volkl. Don't paint a racket to look like the Tour 10 MP, just rerelease the Tour 10 MP!

Agree! :):):)

Ross K
06-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Look forward to hearing reports on how it plays and contrasts with past versions.

Bumping this... anyone?

Shasha
06-06-2012, 02:34 AM

I only played with the 2008 stick, can't tell you anything about the past versions. Let's see if someone could tell you that info.

Good luck.

McLovin
06-06-2012, 03:30 AM
What kind of string are you using in your Vlkl C10 Pro guys?

I need some string with a lot of control, feeling and effects.

Thank you.

When I used this stick last year (2008 pj), I had 17g Pacific Classic Gut mains / Topspin Concept Pure crosses, both @ 56lbs. Really nice feel, good spin & a little added pop, but still more control than power. You really need to swing through the ball to generate pace.

Shasha
06-06-2012, 03:39 AM
When I used this stick last year (2008 pj), I had 17g Pacific Classic Gut mains / Topspin Concept Pure crosses, both @ 56lbs. Really nice feel, good spin & a little added pop, but still more control than power. You really need to swing through the ball to generate pace.

I just need more control than power, i'll try it with Kirsh Helix 1.20 at 25.5 kg, let's see how it works, I'll test it tomorrow.

mctennis
06-19-2012, 08:34 PM
I just need more control than power, i'll try it with Kirsh Helix 1.20 at 25.5 kg, let's see how it works, I'll test it tomorrow.

So, how did the test go? I'm interested in finding out how this string plays in this racquet. Thanks.

Shasha
06-22-2012, 03:47 AM
So, how did the test go? I'm interested in finding out how this string plays in this racquet. Thanks.

I just like it a lot, 24.5kg it's perfect for a hard hitter with that string!

mctennis
06-24-2012, 07:12 PM
I just like it a lot, 24.5kg it's perfect for a hard hitter with that string!

Thanks for the review update.

Shasha
06-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the review update.

I haven't much time to make a review nowdays, let me finish my exams, sorry! :P

xtreme tennis
08-24-2012, 09:24 AM
I ordered a C10 pro (strung w synth gut at 52) so I m in!. I wanted a classic racquet with some flex, the pro tour 630 came to mind but I don t like the 18x20 string pattern, monday I ll test my new stick:)

gonzalocatalino
10-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Hello, im playing with the yt prestige mp right now, but im after something a bit softer with a lively strinbed.
Can anyone who played both give me a short review?

Im basically a power baselinerand i was trying to get some consistency (i bought some tweeners and i was playing with the ozone tour, wich give me a bit of regulaity, but make me lose my serve and flat forehand), but thats not my game, ive to go for the winner on every shot i make!
How can the C10 pro compare at the baseline with the prestiges?

Im using multi/poly hibrids at 50lbs right now...

mrmike
10-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Hello, im playing with the yt prestige mp right now, but im after something a bit softer with a lively strinbed.
Can anyone who played both give me a short review?

Im basically a power baselinerand i was trying to get some consistency (i bought some tweeners and i was playing with the ozone tour, wich give me a bit of regulaity, but make me lose my serve and flat forehand), but thats not my game, ive to go for the winner on every shot i make!
How can the C10 pro compare at the baseline with the prestiges?

Im using multi/poly hibrids at 50lbs right now...

I've used both frames. Actually sold my Youtek (non-IG) Prestige MP since it was bothering my arm/shoulder a bit. Currently using an older Microgel Prestige MP which seems to be more arm friendly. Before the Youtek, I used the C10 Pro 2008 for about a year. It is a great all around players stick. The only knock I had on it was directional control which can be accounted for because of the 16x19 string pattern vs. the 18x20 on the Prestige. You can play equally well from the baseline or net with the C10, it has lots of stability. As Chris mentions from TW, it is string sensitive so you need to experiment a bit to find the right setup.

gonzalocatalino
10-24-2012, 08:58 AM
I've used both frames. Actually sold my Youtek (non-IG) Prestige MP since it was bothering my arm/shoulder a bit. Currently using an older Microgel Prestige MP which seems to be more arm friendly. Before the Youtek, I used the C10 Pro 2008 for about a year. It is a great all around players stick. The only knock I had on it was directional control which can be accounted for because of the 16x19 string pattern vs. the 18x20 on the Prestige. You can play equally well from the baseline or net with the C10, it has lots of stability. As Chris mentions from TW, it is string sensitive so you need to experiment a bit to find the right setup.

thanks for the input, i just bought 3 c10s 2008 (mint, i got a great deal). As the volkl rep only carries 4 3/8 grips, ive to order 3 pallets sets online yesterday (from a US web), so, i will test the C10 in 2 or 3 weeks.
I enjoy the prestiges, but is true, they are a bit stiff sometimes. Tried many racquets (actually im with the Ozone Tour, wich i like, but is not exactly my kind of frame) and the Volkl look promising (ive owned one original C10 years ago and played the Tour 10 gen2 for almost 3 years in the past...).

Ive some strings reels of weisscannon scorpion, turbo twist and explosiv!, i will try different setups...

mrmike
11-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Anyone looking for a C10 Pro in 4-5/8, TW has a good deal right now on the 2010 version (yellow). Great hitting frame - no matter the color scheme !

gonzalocatalino
11-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Ive played today with the C10, and im surprised by the power this racquets has...
I strung one with my usual setup (scorpion mains @52/explosiv crosses @57) and other with a full blend of Turbo Twist @55.
The hibrid i use to play with the prestiges mp is too powerfull, the full poly job feels more controlable, but i will go for more tension because compared with the prestige, this racquet has a lot of free power.
Really enjoyed the comfort and feel. Serves were as good as my prestiges.

Bodycamp13
11-09-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm joining the club - if you'll let me in. Hit a couple balls and jumped on a very SLIGHTLY used demo. I've been looking for something to replace my PSC 95 and I might have finally found it!

I have hit with almost every frame available locally (good shop so I have hit a lot) but very few felt good. This one felt great immediately.

Don't have a ton of $$ in it so I am going to play it this winter and see how things go...

So...can I join? Looking for any further input on strings for a 4.5 S&V player that uses their serve and forehand as weapons.

Thanks!

Bodycamp13
11-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Anyone play this with 4G in it yet? What tension would you recommend? Low to mid 50's?

max
11-10-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm joining the club - if you'll let me in. Hit a couple balls and jumped on a very SLIGHTLY used demo. I've been looking for something to replace my PSC 95 and I might have finally found it!

I have hit with almost every frame available locally (good shop so I have hit a lot) but very few felt good. This one felt great immediately.

Don't have a ton of $$ in it so I am going to play it this winter and see how things go...

So...can I join? Looking for any further input on strings for a 4.5 S&V player that uses their serve and forehand as weapons.

Thanks!

Yeah, this is a good pick for someone who can play the game and who is coming from a PS 6.1.

gonzalocatalino
11-20-2012, 12:46 PM
im definitively switching to the C10 Pro 2008.
Found a great setup: Weisscannon Turbo Twist mains / Weisscannon Explosiv! crosses @60lbs, no dampener, leather grip+OG.
Excellent power and outstanding raw feel.
I will post some pics later this week, as ive send the frames to the stringer this morning...

Cesare
11-20-2012, 04:54 PM
im definitively switching to the C10 Pro 2008.
Found a great setup: Weisscannon Turbo Twist mains / Weisscannon Explosiv! crosses @60lbs, no dampener, leather grip+OG.
Excellent power and outstanding raw feel.
I will post some pics later this week, as ive send the frames to the stringer this morning...

agreed, that's one of the best set-up i ever tried, it works great on my Tour 10 generation 1 with leather grip, even lower-ish tension. I think that the exposiv! on crosses is just a great string.

gonzalocatalino
11-21-2012, 04:25 AM
agreed, that's one of the best set-up i ever tried, it works great on my Tour 10 generation 1 with leather grip, even lower-ish tension. I think that the exposiv! on crosses is just a great string.

Yes, i tried Explosiv! last year and loved the string, and a few months ago i found a reel at a bargain price.
USed this string in a full job, but was too soft. On the crosses, combined with a good copoly (i use turbo twist or scorpion), is a perfect combo.
Ive used scorpion/explosiv on my prestiges, but with lower tension (mid-high 40s). The c10 is more lively and powerfull than the prestige, so i raised a lot the tension, but the racquet still play super comfortable...

Cesare
11-21-2012, 05:02 AM
Yes, i tried Explosiv! last year and loved the string, and a few months ago i found a reel at a bargain price.
USed this string in a full job, but was too soft. On the crosses, combined with a good copoly (i use turbo twist or scorpion), is a perfect combo.
Ive used scorpion/explosiv on my prestiges, but with lower tension (mid-high 40s). The c10 is more lively and powerfull than the prestige, so i raised a lot the tension, but the racquet still play super comfortable...

i have the scorpion/explosiv! 54/58 lbs combo on my C9 pro 343 grams strung(with 8 grams of lead in the hoop, leather grip and overgrip). with this set up,the racquest just shines, very close to the c10 pro, even better on flat forehands and serves(c10's better on backhand slices and volleys and half-volleys).

fuzz nation
11-21-2012, 05:18 AM

Thanks!

I'm not a poly user, but I made the switch to the C10 from the 6.1 Classics a few years ago. I grew up playing S&V, but my game has evolved into more of an all-court style and the softer C10 has brought me a very welcome aspect of control around the baseline. More flex usually means a slightly diminished amount of "pop" from an alternative racquet of similar heft, but the C10 has turned out to be a very solid performer for me around the net.

I used to string my 6.1 Classics with 17 ga. syn. gut at 63-65 lbs. The thinner string seemed to give me much better feel and I also tried that stuff for a while in my Volkls after my switch. As it turned out though, I also found decent feel along with better durability when I strung my C10's with softer 16 ga. syn. gut, including Gosen and Tecnifibre (I string my own gear). In colder months, I may drop a few pounds of tension, but I've been quite comfortable in the summer with these frames strung up to 63-64 lbs. I hit a one-handed backhand and even with the rather snug string bed, these racquets have never given me any twinges in my arm/elbow.

Coming from my S&V roots, I've always been more familiar with a hefty, head-light racquet. My C10's are slightly more lean than my old Wilsons, but they also didn't have the HL balance I preferred in their stock layout. I added a bit of lead tape to the handles of my Volkls to get them balanced at 9-10 pts. HL (12.5 oz.) and that had been right for me. Also, more than one of our pals here have found these frames to be string sensitive. Don't be surprised if you need more than one or two tries with different setups to get your C10 dialed in... just be ready to get hooked on a really cozy hitter once you do!

Stringers
11-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Have 4 racquets from TW coming in to demo today.

C10 Pro
Technifibre Tfight 320
Yonex Vcore 95D
Dunlop Biomimetic F 3.0 Tour

I've been playing with a PB10 Mid for the past 2-3 years and absolutely love the feel and control from the frame, but want something with a little more pop that what I get with my Powerbridge. So I'm really excited to see what the C10 has to offer. I'm a huge fan of the buttery smooth feel Volkl frames provide and have heard this one is addictive as well.

Maybe I'll be joining the club soon! :)

choochoo
11-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Unbelievable frame. Customized at 12 or 3 and 9, even better. New org 10 mid coming out early next year.

iceinbangkok
11-21-2012, 04:16 PM
I just got 2 of the 2010 yellow frames. Even though many prefer the black color, I am really enjoying the yellow with tourna grip blue off-setting it. I am also enjoying the weight and the balance of the frames. I am coming off a lighter frame, the PK BA 93. I found that I had too many off-center shots and wanted to go with at least a 98" head. I had some Redondo MPs but I found them sluggish to get around. I am pleasantly surprised with the C10 Pro. If I was to compare to the Redondo MP which has similar specs (i know string pattern is different, but frame specs) then I would say that the C10 pro has a balance which enables you to swing with a modern style. It is easier to swing up through the ball, or brush up the back of the ball, depending on your swing style - the racket seems to want to do that. The redondo seems to want to go forward more than up - probably suiting a flatter swing style. Not sure if that makes sense.

I am playing around with strings which I will write more about in the string section. I am experimenting with polys right now as i want the benefit of the spin they can offer. I am cautious of my arm though. I tried Lux M2 (130 and 125) which I think doesn't work in this frame. Too springy and it lost tension quickly. I have one bed with Solinco Revolution/True Feel hybrid at 52/54 and Tecnifibre Pro Red Code 16/Gosen OG 16 at 50/54. Haven't tried the RC/Gosen yet - but found the solinco hybrid a bit soft. I will try Revolution next with OG Micro to see if that makes it feel more crisp.

I hope I have found my lasting sticks. I believe after experimenting a lot (Head prestige, dunlop 4D 200 Tour, redondo, BA 93) that the racket is a vehicle for the strings. The frame is about balance and weight and ploughthrough and the string gives the playability and trajectory. I know there is more to it than that for many, but that is where I have got to in my racket search so far. I think the specs of the C10 pro could give me my ultimate racket, when combined with the right strings, grips and maybe lead weighting (top of grip and/or hoop).

I am debating the leather grip or synthetic right now. I have 2 frames so I will take time to test them out and see. Probably won't make a decision till I have settled on a string choice.

Hope I can join the club!

gonzalocatalino
11-23-2012, 11:25 AM
TW is giving away the C10s at only $75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sargeinaz
11-23-2012, 11:41 AM
TW is giving away the C10s at only $75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. That's an amazing price! If i didnt already have one, Id definitely grab one for that cheap.

gonzalocatalino
11-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Wow. That's an amazing price! If i didnt already have one, Id definitely grab one for that cheap.

Sadly, im not in the US. Otherwise, ill probably buy at least 3 c10's...

luishcorreia
11-23-2012, 04:55 PM

Shipping costs tu europe are around 50 usd?..

Bodycamp13
11-24-2012, 05:41 AM
Thanks! I am getting my first real hit with it Wednesday. Has TNT Tour 2 in it now and I will go from there depending. This string was included when I bought the frame. I may try Cyclone when it gets warmer but I did come from 64 lbs with Sensation in my 6.1's. i look forward to getting used to the frame. I love the initial feel.

PhrygianDominant
11-24-2012, 05:54 AM
Hey guys, just ordered 2 of these off TW on account of the sale. Have to wait til I go home for christmas to try them though. Strung with SPPP @ 53 lbs.

Coming from POG mids, what would you guys expect me to notice/adjust to?

gonzalocatalino
11-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Hey guys, just ordered 2 of these off TW on account of the sale. Have to wait til I go home for christmas to try them though. Strung with SPPP @ 53 lbs.

Coming from POG mids, what would you guys expect me to notice/adjust to?

Im weak...I could not resist that offer and just ordered 3 C10s 2012 and the latest volkl mega bag (the black one)...Even paying u$s101 on ups shipping to Argentina, is a great deal compared with the prices at this lands...

gonzalocatalino
11-24-2012, 04:14 PM
an hour later i sended the payment for the C10s, the $75 offer was over...i was lucky to grab some c10 at time

(edited)

sargeinaz
11-24-2012, 04:41 PM
an hour later i sended the payment for the C10s, the $75 offer was over...

really? that sucks. Id see if TW can do anything for you if you missed it by an hour.

gonzalocatalino
11-24-2012, 04:48 PM
really? that sucks. Id see if TW can do anything for you if you missed it by an hour.

No no, i mean I was lucky enough to place my order at time.
Anyway, they dont havr stock in my grip, so i'll have to wait a few weeks

Shaochieh
11-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Unfortunately TW had a false advertisement on their main page that the racket was still at 55 percent discount. I called them and they did not honor their advertisement. I was disappointed and I may not order from TW again. At least TW would honor their own website's advertisements.

TennisMD
11-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Unfortunately TW had a false advertisement on their main page that the racket was still at 55 percent discount. I called them and they did not honor their advertisement. I was disappointed and I may not order from TW again. At least TW would honor their own website's advertisements.

They have now taken it down, a lot of flax I'm sure. If it was up when you called they should have honored the price. If you did not call pro ably no recourse

TennisMD
11-25-2012, 04:34 PM
So those around these brds long enough, the tour 10 Gen I was a favorite over the old C 10. So how is the new C 10 I guess a rather long way of asking is the new new different. I was somewhat surprised by the power score given by Chris (85) he is very reliable in my opinion, so the new must be bit different. How do other players feel?

Shaochieh
11-25-2012, 04:49 PM
They have now taken it down, a lot of flax I'm sure. If it was up when you called they should have honored the price. If you did not call pro ably no recourse

Did called but they did not honored their advertisement.

Manaldo
11-25-2012, 11:42 PM
count me in, having 1st C10 pro with head finest calfskin. i love the supper flex and feel of hitting.

CCH4TENNIS
11-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Hi All

I understand that all Vokyl sticks come with a rectangular like grip. How does this grip feel compared to say Dunlop sticks ? Smaller or larger ?

Thanks

tball
11-26-2012, 06:54 AM
By circumference, it is exactly the same.

I use Dunlop 4. For Volkl I get grip 3, then put some padding on the two widest bevels to make an approximation to Dunlop 4.

Volkl 4 is uncomfortable for me. OK on forehand, but very awkward on backhand. Volkl 3 is fine on backhand, but not enough to grab on on the forehand. Hence the padding. Volkl 3 with padding is approximately equal to Dunlop 4. Beware that padding will add weight to the handle.

On a few Volkl racquets I particularly like, I do the complete surgery: I remove the pallets, put the light padding on the hairpin, pallets #3 on top, and put a Wilson or Dunlop buttcap. This gives me the "normal" grip, that's comfortable for me.

There are "Attiva" pallets which are supposedly more square, but I am not sure of that. I have one, and it seems to have the same rectangular proportions as their other pallets.

In the far-away past (80s), Volkl racquets had a regular grip. This oval shape is a relatively new trend. I am surprised they managed to stay in business for that long with such an annoyance to the consumers.

max
11-26-2012, 08:56 AM
By circumference, it is exactly the same.

I use Dunlop 4. For Volkl I get grip 3, then put some padding on the two widest bevels to make an approximation to Dunlop 4.

Volkl 4 is uncomfortable for me. OK on forehand, but very awkward on backhand. Volkl 3 is fine on backhand, but not enough to grab on on the forehand. Hence the padding. Volkl 3 with padding is approximately equal to Dunlop 4. Beware that padding will add weight to the handle.

On a few Volkl racquets I particularly like, I do the complete surgery: I remove the pallets, put the light padding on the hairpin, pallets #3 on top, and put a Wilson or Dunlop buttcap. This gives me the "normal" grip, that's comfortable for me.

There are "Attiva" pallets which are supposedly more square, but I am not sure of that. I have one, and it seems to have the same rectangular proportions as their other pallets.

In the far-away past (80s), Volkl racquets had a regular grip. This oval shape is a relatively new trend. I am surprised they managed to stay in business for that long with such an annoyance to the consumers.

Excellent post. The Volkl people are fools for not changing the grip shape.

I use a bunch of Volkls, and the one thing keeping me from simply updating them with Volkls is the damn weird grip shape. It's bizarre and inexplicable.

I appreciate greatly the modification advice. Perhaps Volkl could use you as a consultant!

Stringers
11-26-2012, 06:57 PM
So what string setup are y'all using with this stick? Sonic Pro/Syn gut is in the demo frame now, which is making a slight ping at impact. My frame and strings get here Wednesday. Thinking I'm going to string it up with B5E/N.Vy first. Maybe that will crisp it up a little bit.

CCH4TENNIS
11-26-2012, 08:46 PM
So what string setup are y'all using with this stick? Sonic Pro/Syn gut is in the demo frame now, which is making a slight ping at impact. My frame and strings get here Wednesday. Thinking I'm going to string it up with B5E/N.Vy first. Maybe that will crisp it up a little bit.

I plan to string it up with Dunlop Black Widow @65lbs as I expect the tension loss to be as much as 10lbs.

Bodycamp13
11-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Cyclone 16 - I really like it although I will string a little tighter next time. I went with 54 and should be at 56 or 58...but it is cold in the evenings here and I did not want the racquet to feel like a board.

gonzalocatalino
11-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Cyclone 16 - I really like it although I will string a little tighter next time. I went with 54 and should be at 56 or 58...but it is cold in the evenings here and I did not want the racquet to feel like a board.

The c10 is a powerfull racquet imo. With the youtek prestige MP i was using 48lbs and im stringing the c10s at 60lbs and is they still feel more comfortable than the prestiges.
Power is about the same, but the comfort and the size of the sweetspot are bigger even stringing them 12lbs higher...

Bodycamp13
11-30-2012, 10:26 AM
I will try 58 next time then. I don't need a ton of power, I just wanted to make sure I didn't get too stiff of a setup during winter - I play outdoors.

I had also never played Cyclone.

I made the mistake of trying Lux in a 6.1 last year and wasted that string job. Had to cut it out b/c it was way too stiff for the winter.

I can up to 60 if necessary. The 54 wasn't uncontrollable unless I went to hit a sharp angle.

Bodycamp13
11-30-2012, 12:20 PM
WOW! These are back up to $169.95 on TW now. Glad I jumped on the $75 deal when I did!

Hopefully they aren't going to be phased out!

gonzalocatalino
11-30-2012, 04:14 PM
WOW! These are back up to $169.95 on TW now. Glad I jumped on the $75 deal when I did!

Hopefully they aren't going to be phased out!

Yes, the $75 offer was an outstanding opportunity. I can wait to receive my 3 new 2012 C10s and the new Volkl bag, sadly, anything is in stock and ill have to wait at least 2 weeks more...

mrmike
12-01-2012, 04:27 AM
Yes, the $75 offer was an outstanding opportunity. I can wait to receive my 3 new 2012 C10s and the new Volkl bag, sadly, anything is in stock and ill have to wait at least 2 weeks more...

Wow, you got the 2012 version for $75 ? I wonder if that was a mistake on TW's part? I had recently bought a couple 2010 yellow models for about that price before they ran out. Great sticks.

CCH4TENNIS
12-01-2012, 04:35 AM
Wow, you got the 2012 version for $75 ? I wonder if that was a mistake on TW's part? I had recently bought a couple 2010 yellow models for about that price before they ran out. Great sticks.

Hi

Whoever bought it for USD75 is very lucky. I saw the offer and the next day when I ordered it the price was USD159.99 :-( Still, I did save USD10 when the price went up to USD 169.99 the very next day :-D

gonzalocatalino
12-01-2012, 04:40 AM

awasome deal, tw offered a super sale price on the C10 on black friday, so i ordered 3 and the volkl black 12 bag.
When i ordered them (saturday morning) the offer was still avaliabe but the 5/8 grips stock was gone. Anyway, TW is receiving new stock from volkl on 12/6 and they will ship my order...

Stringers
12-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Yup! I got one at the $75 mark. Wish I had grabbed a couple more :( It was a terrific deal!

gonzalocatalino
12-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Tw shipped my c10's yesterday, i hope UPS service to be as fast as they say... ;-)

Ross K
12-04-2012, 01:09 PM
I just got 2 of the 2010 yellow frames. Even though many prefer the black color, I am really enjoying the yellow with tourna grip blue off-setting it. I am also enjoying the weight and the balance of the frames. I am coming off a lighter frame, the PK BA 93. I found that I had too many off-center shots and wanted to go with at least a 98" head. I had some Redondo MPs but I found them sluggish to get around. I am pleasantly surprised with the C10 Pro. If I was to compare to the Redondo MP which has similar specs (i know string pattern is different, but frame specs) then I would say that the C10 pro has a balance which enables you to swing with a modern style. It is easier to swing up through the ball, or brush up the back of the ball, depending on your swing style - the racket seems to want to do that. The redondo seems to want to go forward more than up - probably suiting a flatter swing style. Not sure if that makes sense.

I am playing around with strings which I will write more about in the string section. I am experimenting with polys right now as i want the benefit of the spin they can offer. I am cautious of my arm though. I tried Lux M2 (130 and 125) which I think doesn't work in this frame. Too springy and it lost tension quickly. I have one bed with Solinco Revolution/True Feel hybrid at 52/54 and Tecnifibre Pro Red Code 16/Gosen OG 16 at 50/54. Haven't tried the RC/Gosen yet - but found the solinco hybrid a bit soft. I will try Revolution next with OG Micro to see if that makes it feel more crisp.

I hope I have found my lasting sticks. I believe after experimenting a lot (Head prestige, dunlop 4D 200 Tour, redondo, BA 93) that the racket is a vehicle for the strings. The frame is about balance and weight and ploughthrough and the string gives the playability and trajectory. I know there is more to it than that for many, but that is where I have got to in my racket search so far. I think the specs of the C10 pro could give me my ultimate racket, when combined with the right strings, grips and maybe lead weighting (top of grip and/or hoop).

I am debating the leather grip or synthetic right now. I have 2 frames so I will take time to test them out and see. Probably won't make a decision till I have settled on a string choice.

Hope I can join the club!

Two stand out observations there for me.

You're aware that many consider the C10 to be distinctly not a 'modern style' racket? (I know. I know... :roll:)

Really like the second statement. Most enlightened thing I've read on TT all day actually.

Do post up your experiences/thoughts set ups-wise etc as you go on.

mrmike
12-04-2012, 01:26 PM
I love the weight and balance of the C10 pro. My 2010 versions both weigh around 12.4 oz strung. No need for lead tape. They have plenty of heft, yet seem easy to get around on ground strokes and serves. There is a good reason why this frame is still around for as many years as it has been.

Stroke
12-04-2012, 02:30 PM
The c10 pro is a lot like the POG OS with smaller head size to me.

CCH4TENNIS
12-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Received the C10Pro 2012 the day before yesterday via UPS. Looks beautiful and feels great in my hands but impatiently waiting for my order for Black Widow 18g. Plan to string it at 60lbs using 'round the world ' method.

Weighed the unstrung stick at 317g using a digital weighing machine but the specs stated was 330g (11.6oz). Hmm... I wonder what has happened to the 13g difference.

The stated balance unstrung was stated at 31cm but my balance board showed it as 31.25cm.

Do you guys have any similar readings ?

Thank you.

gonzalocatalino
12-05-2012, 03:25 AM
13grs is a lot for the volkl standards...
I hope the 3 c10 i've ordered are close together or at least only a bit lighter, but not heavier because i've to add leather grips...
I'll receive the tw shipment tomorrow if i'm lucky

CCH4TENNIS
12-05-2012, 05:12 AM
Received the C10Pro 2012 the day before yesterday via UPS. Looks beautiful and feels great in my hands but impatiently waiting for my order for Black Widow 18g. Plan to string it at 60lbs using 'round the world ' method.

Weighed the unstrung stick at 317g using a digital weighing machine but the specs stated was 330g (11.6oz). Hmm... I wonder what has happened to the 13g difference.

The stated balance unstrung was stated at 31cm but my balance board showed it as 31.25cm.

Thank you.

Just strung it at 60lb with Black Widow 18g. Final specs is 331g strung and balance is 312mm ie 9.76pt HL compared with the advertised 8pt HL and strung weight of 346g.

Notwithstanding the significant difference in strung wt and balance, it still felt good in my hands and will hit with it tomorrow morning.

Cheers !

gonzalocatalino
12-05-2012, 05:27 AM
If i get 3 with the same lighter specs, it will be great....great customization plataform..

gonzalocatalino
12-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Under a heavy storm...the UPS guy knocked my door...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-5lm2QN5m4sU/UMDSkcZIEtI/AAAAAAAAFCs/mcg1a8jfXTw/s640/DSC_0025.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-TQlT5B3a3-A/UMDS1kwnLLI/AAAAAAAAFC0/f8-g5bcMqK0/s640/DSC_0026.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-f9OprybVOiE/UMDWNPyh44I/AAAAAAAAFDk/lNukJuok4VE/s640/DSC_0027.JPG

now ive C10s stock for a few years:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WG-x73yZlE8/UMDXicBT75I/AAAAAAAAFD8/vIKn9ROJle0/s640/DSC_0030.JPG

gonzalocatalino
12-06-2012, 09:31 AM

Thank you.

ive just received and weighted my C10s. All with stock grip and strung with Wilson Extreme Syn Gut.
Racquet #1: 344grs
Racquet #2: 344grs
Racquet #3: 349grs

CCH4TENNIS
12-06-2012, 06:12 PM
ive just received and weighted my C10s. All with stock grip and strung with Wilson Extreme Syn Gut.

Hi

You are the lucky one :-) Your strung wt difference is only +3/-2 whereas my strung weight was only 331g ! The difference of 15g is very significant :-(

Bodycamp13
12-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Got to hit my new frame again last night. I must say I love the OLD SCHOOL feel and heft. I hit better than I have for the past couple of years.

With my frame and string combo I can hit out with topspin or flatten it out. Backhands are the best I've ever hit.

Cyclone 16 is great in this thing! I may try a hybrid but I like this string a ton.

Now...which Volkl bag to order?

gonzalocatalino
12-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Got to hit my new frame again last night. I must say I love the OLD SCHOOL feel and heft. I hit better than I have for the past couple of years.

With my frame and string combo I can hit out with topspin or flatten it out. Backhands are the best I've ever hit.

Cyclone 16 is great in this thing! I may try a hybrid but I like this string a ton.

Now...which Volkl bag to order?

Ive also played with the new c10s.
Tested the frames with wilson syn. gut extreme (got the strings for free from TW). I liked the initial feel of the syn gut, but felt nice (crisp, with nice touch and control) for less than an hour, then it become too loose for my taste.
The c10s 2012 ive ordered are the same as the 2008 i already own, i was lucky as i did not have any QC issue...

about the bag, ive ordered the super tour 12 pack (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Volkl_Super_Tour_Bags_BlackSilver/descpageBGVOLKL-VSTB12.html) : i like it a lot, great bag, high quality in a low profile cosmetics and color.

The court mega (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Volkl_Court_Tennis_Bags_Blue/descpageBGVOLKL-VCBL15.html) seems to be almost the same bag, but with a larger lateral compartment..

gonzalocatalino
12-14-2012, 04:04 PM
I keep playing with the C10 and they feel better and better.
I believe ill be using this classic for many years...

Im using the 2008s C10s right now, ill test the 2012s next month (ive to customize them with leather and my own strings)

suyema
12-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Dear gonzalocatalino or anyone on here that has dealt with "dltorre" for buy/sell/trade. I'm about to buy some c10's from him, but he's not willing to give me his ph# or personal info. Is he a trustworthy person?? Of course, he wants me to pay first and then he'll ship. Any feedback would be much appreciated. You can reply to this post or:

suyema@hotmail.com

Thanks~ Scott

gonzalocatalino
12-22-2012, 03:19 AM
Dear gonzalocatalino or anyone on here that has dealt with "dltorre" for buy/sell/trade. I'm about to buy some c10's from him, but he's not willing to give me his ph# or personal info. Is he a trustworthy person?? Of course, he wants me to pay first and then he'll ship. Any feedback would be much appreciated. You can reply to this post or:

suyema@hotmail.com

Thanks~ Scott
ill email you.

elamarrj
12-22-2012, 07:43 AM
I just pick 1 up at the thrift store for 8 usd:) last week cant wait to hit with it after xmas
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj55/elamarrj/20121222_083136_zps6e11c753.jpg

gonzalocatalino
12-23-2012, 04:48 AM
I just pick 1 up at the thrift store for 8 usd:) last week cant wait to hit with it after xmas
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj55/elamarrj/20121222_083136_zps6e11c753.jpg

nice deal! and it looks in perfect condition!

gonzalocatalino
01-19-2013, 06:59 AM
apparently, after the black friday sale price, the love for the C10 is over ;)

In my case, i made the DEFINITIVE switch to this frame from the Youtek prestige mp.

The C10 with a leather grip and a thin OG, is a fantastic racquet (i used first an hibrid combo, but now im moving to a full copoly at the mid 50s because gives me more spin and control)
The newer models are stiffer than the original C10s, but i think this helps the racquet to adapt at the modern baseline and powerfull game.

max
01-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Gonazalo: I play a c9 weighted to 349 g; hits like the 10. Try Volkl Powerfiber 2 string in your frame; you'll likely like it. Also give Prince Stynthetic Gut Soft (Ektelon Powerplay) a try at 57 lbs; I've been using this for about 10 years.

Ross K
01-19-2013, 08:56 AM
What are you C10 users "money" string set ups these days?

gonzalocatalino
01-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Gonazalo: I play a c9 weighted to 349 g; hits like the 10. Try Volkl Powerfiber 2 string in your frame; you'll likely like it. Also give Prince Stynthetic Gut Soft (Ektelon Powerplay) a try at 57 lbs; I've been using this for about 10 years.

Ive tried soft strings and syn. gut, but did not worked for me. For now, the best setup so far is full WC Scorpion @55lbs (+Bab leather and Wilson Pro OG).
Ill try WC Turbo twist at 57 on monday.

With the C10 2008 i was playing before the 2012s, my usual combo (WC scorpion/WC explosiv! @60lbs) was working just fine: outstanding feel and comfort, plenty of power and a very playable sweetspot. But now im using full poly because of the spin i can put at the ball from the baseline.

CCH4TENNIS
01-19-2013, 05:03 PM
What are you C10 users "money" string set ups these days?

Hi Ross

I use Black Window full bed strung at 60lb but due to the high tension loss, the actual tension is averaging 50lbs as measured by the tourna stringmeter :-)

mctennis
01-19-2013, 09:04 PM
I used either a full gut or a gut/ TiMO crosses before finding a nice set up of Mosquito Bite/ gut.

SteveI
01-20-2013, 02:33 AM
I used either a full gut or a gut/ TiMO crosses before finding a nice set up of Mosquito Bite/ gut.

Mike,

Thanks for the insights. I will be giving the 2010 and 2012 versions in the spring. BTW.. did you playtest the Tourna Big Hitter Black 7 17G I sent your way? Would be interesting in your insights. I am up watching.. AO...:-)

Steve

PhrygianDominant
01-20-2013, 03:17 AM
So I really like the feel of my POG mids, but I don't like that I lose some control when trying to hit flat on that really open string pattern.

What poly string could I put in the c10 pro that is brassy feeling, but still allows good pocketing? not too expensive, if there is any.

thx!

mrmike
01-20-2013, 05:00 AM
I have a similar problem with slight lack of control on my groundstrokes with the C10 Pro. The problem is my arm can't take poly strings, even in a hybrid. I posed a question in another thread for Chris from TW. He suggested Ashaway Dynamite 16 tough or going with a thicker gauge string like 15L or 15. Haven't had a chance to try this yet.

SteveI
01-20-2013, 06:14 AM
I have a similar problem with slight lack of control on my groundstrokes with the C10 Pro. The problem is my arm can't take poly strings, even in a hybrid. I posed a question in another thread for Chris from TW. He suggested Ashaway Dynamite 16 tough or going with a thicker gauge string like 15L or 15. Haven't had a chance to try this yet.

How about a thick Natty Gut like Pac Tough Gut 15L a few lbs over mid?

PhrygianDominant
01-20-2013, 06:38 AM

No recommendations for a poly, that will give me a crisper feel on the ball? I am not that experienced in strings, so I don't know how to phrase this question better.

mrmike
01-20-2013, 06:47 AM

Thanks, that may be worth a try. I know it's a little pricey, but I am not a big string breaker and gut maintains playability for a long time. One of Chris's other suggestions was a thick gauge gut / synthetic gut hybrid. May consider that also. That would cut down the cost per stringing a bit.

SteveI
01-20-2013, 07:20 AM
Thanks, that may be worth a try. I know it's a little pricey, but I am not a big string breaker and gut maintains playability for a long time. One of Chris's other suggestions was a thick gauge gut / synthetic gut hybrid. May consider that also. That would cut down the cost per stringing a bit.

Chris knows his stuff... both set-ups would make sense. You could get into the Tough Gut/Syn Gut (I would use Forten Sweet 16) for a decent price and and it would last much longer than any poly set-up and be wonderful on your arm. The tension would hold up also.

suyema
01-24-2013, 07:12 AM
For those that use leather grip for your C10 Pro's, which leather grip do you prefer out of Volkl, Head, Wilson, or Babolat??

~Thanks

gonzalocatalino
01-24-2013, 07:42 AM
For those that use leather grip for your C10 Pro's, which leather grip do you prefer out of Volkl, Head, Wilson, or Babolat??

~Thanks

As the racquets are heavy enough, i'll go with a thin and light leather. In my case, i've the 3 c10 2008's with head std. Leather grip (heavily used, so they feel very thin and compressed). I've installed brand new babolats on the 2012 c10's and Right now i'm trying to get used to them, because i feel the grip a bit big with the new ones...

Never used the Volkl leather grips, but from what ive ear here, is one of the heaviest, so, i would avoid them for this racquet.

FischerFan
01-24-2013, 07:57 AM

~Thanks

Best one I've tried is a Pacific.

Bodycamp13
01-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Just want to say...I've NEVER crushed OHBH like I do with this frame.

Unreal! Rivals my FH now!

Currently using Cyclone 16 @ 52 but that stuff dies quickly. I'll be changing I think.

Anyone play this frame with BB Alu? What tension?

Junkie74
01-24-2013, 07:48 PM
I found this to be a good racquet, but I did felt some twinges and stiffness around my elbow halfway through the match. Anyone had this problem before?

Ross K
01-24-2013, 10:20 PM
I found this to be a good racquet, but I did felt some twinges and stiffness around my elbow halfway through the match. Anyone had this problem before?

What strings (poly presumably) were you using? How long had they been?

Going back over quite a few years now, I can't say I've ever had anything remotely bordering on elbow twinges/pains playing with a C10. It's one mega-comfy, soft-flexing frame, for me anyhow.

Bodycamp13
01-25-2013, 05:24 AM
It ain't the racquet. I can hit two hours solid and this is the most comfortable frame I've played. I play Cyclone 16 at 52 or 54 right now - will prob change though. This frame with a multi would be rediculously comfortable.

mrmike
01-25-2013, 11:16 AM
It ain't the racquet. I can hit two hours solid and this is the most comfortable frame I've played. I play Cyclone 16 at 52 or 54 right now - will prob change though. This frame with a multi would be rediculously comfortable.

You are right, I recently had Discho Microfibre 16 multi in one of my C10's at 60lb and it was super comfortable but unfortunately also a rocket launcher after about 5 sessions. Originally I purchased the frame from TW with Volkl Power Fiber II and that was a firmer multi but I had much better control with it.

gonzalocatalino
01-26-2013, 06:26 AM
Ive played the C10 with my usual hibrid (WC Scorpion/WC Explosiv! @60), getting the best feel, comfort and power. Now im using some racquets with a full blend of Scorpion at 55lbs (best for spin and control) and some other with full WC Turbo Twist at 57, the first hour this string was too stiff, but now is feeling great, decent spin and very comfortable.

mrmike
01-26-2013, 02:44 PM

I strung up one of my C10 Pros with Pacific tough gut 15L full bed @ 58 lbs. It's been a long time since I tried natural gut since I had a bad experience snapping a new set on the stringer. This time, armed with a lot more string jobs under my belt, it went well. This string was comfortable from the first hit and very responsive. Maybe a little less spin potential than the thinner gauges of synthetic I had been using. As comfortable as it is, shots are still quite controllable. No shoulder or arm pain after playing whatsoever. It's definitely pricey, but I plan to leave it on this frame till it breaks and keep nylon on my backup. Thanks for the suggestion!

suyema
01-31-2013, 04:01 AM
Just got 2 c10 pros (2010 version) recently (purchased, used, from tw member)and played a couple hours of doubles my first time out with these beautiful yellow frames. It came with kevlar mains (50 lbs) and co-poly cross (55 lbs).

The c10 pros felt nice and hefty, and flexible. Coming from a POG mid, I still like the feel, control, and manueverability of the POG mid. Surprisingly the c10 pros swing weight (325) felt noticeably heavier than my POG Mid (TW reissue 328)?? Their static weight are similar, both 343 grams (TW), I believe.

I suppose it will take some time getting use to along with experimenting w/diff string set-ups. One thing I just couldn't understand was, i felt like I was consistently missing the sweet spot on the c10 pro (98 sq in) vs. the POG mid (93 sq in) i'm hitting the sweet spot effortlessly.

Needless to say, I won't be quitting on these frames anytime soon~

suyema
01-31-2013, 04:02 AM
Just got 2 c10 pros (2010 version) recently (purchased, used, from tw member)and played a couple hours of doubles my first time out with these beautiful yellow frames. It came with kevlar mains (50 lbs) and co-poly cross (55 lbs).

The c10 pros felt nice and hefty, and flexible. Coming from a POG mid, I still like the feel, control, and manueverability of the POG mid. Surprisingly the c10 pros swing weight (325) felt noticeably heavier than my POG Mid (TW reissue 328)?? Their static weight are similar, both 343 grams (TW), I believe.

I suppose it will take some time getting use to, along with experimenting w/diff string set-ups. One thing I just couldn't understand was, i felt like I was consistently missing the sweet spot on the c10 pro (98 sq in) vs. the POG mid (93 sq in) i'm hitting the sweet spot effortlessly.

Needless to say, I won't be quitting on these frames anytime soon~

SteveI
01-31-2013, 04:30 AM
I strung up one of my C10 Pros with Pacific tough gut 15L full bed @ 58 lbs. It's been a long time since I tried natural gut since I had a bad experience snapping a new set on the stringer. This time, armed with a lot more string jobs under my belt, it went well. This string was comfortable from the first hit and very responsive. Maybe a little less spin potential than the thinner gauges of synthetic I had been using. As comfortable as it is, shots are still quite controllable. No shoulder or arm pain after playing whatsoever. It's definitely pricey, but I plan to leave it on this frame till it breaks and keep nylon on my backup. Thanks for the suggestion!

Glad it well for you. After listening to Chris's comment on this string set-ups.. The one I ordered during the wonderful sale they had during the holidays.. I picked the basic Wilson Syn Gut Extreme 16G.. which plays somewhat dead and is a thick string also. I know I will get no where near the perfomace out of the syn gut vs the natty.. but I wanted to get that similar feeling. I deader playing string seems to work well with C10 as Chris stated. The C10 is not really a low powered frame as some think. I might try some IsoSpeed Baseline 16G. Lower powered poly that is very soft and easy on the arm. Tension drops down fast... but for that price $40.00/reel.. I can re-string every 10 hours.

mrmike
01-31-2013, 06:48 AM
I gotta mention that on my 2nd C10 frame (other one has 15L natural gut) I installed some Head RIP control 17 and it plays quite well. Just dead enough to kill off some of the C10's power but easy on the arm and still has some good pop. I have it at 60 lbs. For the $$'s, the RIP is a great match for this frame.

SteveI
01-31-2013, 07:13 AM
I gotta mention that on my 2nd C10 frame (other one has 15L natural gut) I installed some Head RIP control 17 and it plays quite well. Just dead enough to kill off some of the C10's power but easy on the arm and still has some good pop. I have it at 60 lbs. For the $$'s, the RIP is a great match for this frame.

Yes.. Rip Control would be a wonderful match for this frame. Great idea.. I have some in my stock.. and the it is black/white.. and shuld also look great!

Thanks for the insights.

Steve

mrmike
01-31-2013, 07:51 AM
Yes.. Rip Control would be a wonderful match for this frame. Great idea.. I have some in my stock.. and the it is black/white.. and shuld also look great!

Thanks for the insights.

Steve

Yeah, I was really pleasantly surprised on how well this stuff worked in the C10. When it's on the stringer it behaves like a poly. Very little elongation, yet it is easy on the arm. As others have said, a very unique string.

SteveI
01-31-2013, 08:25 AM
Yeah, I was really pleasantly surprised on how well this stuff worked in the C10. When it's on the stringer it behaves like a poly. Very little elongation, yet it is easy on the arm. As others have said, a very unique string.

Yes.. very unique and at a nice price. When you string it you think it is really going to play stiff. The only probelm I had was breaking it a bit too soon to be cost effective for me. It may hold up better in the c 10. Time will tell. Did you do a full bed?

mrmike
01-31-2013, 08:53 AM
Yes.. very unique and at a nice price. When you string it you think it is really going to play stiff. The only probelm I had was breaking it a bit too soon to be cost effective for me. It may hold up better in the c 10. Time will tell. Did you do a full bed?

Yes, full bed of the black 17G, which looks good in the 2010 yellow model. I've heard on other forums that the 17G plays better than the 16G, but I've never tried the 16. At the new price, RIP is hard to beat. I previously had Prince syn original installed at 63 lbs, and that felt too stiff and was bugging my shoulder a bit. The other advantage I am noticing is more spin. Certainly more than my other frame strung with 15L gut. I noticed that serves were getting more kick which of course is also a function of the gauge. The jury is still out on how long it lasts since its newly strung. Gut is still the winner on comfort and feel, but I think for overall price / performance this may be my new go to string setup.

Brian11785
02-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Demo-ed a bunch of racquets recently, and this was at the top of the list. Will be my first delayed-gratification purchase after/for paying off student loan debt.

Here's hoping that some 2010 PJs are still available. LOVE that.

DonBot
02-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Glad it well for you. After listening to Chris's comment on this string set-ups.. The one I ordered during the wonderful sale they had during the holidays.. I picked the basic Wilson Syn Gut Extreme 16G.. which plays somewhat dead and is a thick string also. I know I will get no where near the perfomace out of the syn gut vs the natty.. but I wanted to get that similar feeling. I deader playing string seems to work well with C10 as Chris stated. The C10 is not really a low powered frame as some think. I might try some IsoSpeed Baseline 16G. Lower powered poly that is very soft and easy on the arm. Tension drops down fast... but for that price $40.00/reel.. I can re-string every 10 hours.

I think Chris hit on the head that you want something nice and dead in it. I am a big fan of 4G at 60 lbs. I was going to give this racquet the heave ho till I tried that set up and now I love it.

Jeebs
03-18-2013, 01:50 AM
I'm thinking about getting a C10 to try out. Is there a definitive version or are they all good sticks?

mrmike
03-18-2013, 03:19 AM
I'm thinking about getting a C10 to try out. Is there a definitive version or are they all good sticks?

I don't think the specs have changed on this frame for quite a while. I've played both the 2008 all black version and the 2010 yellow and they play identical. The published 2012 specs look the same also.

gonzalocatalino
03-18-2013, 03:34 AM

The c10 specs haven't changed in a while. As far as i know, the older ones (original release from the late 90's/early 00's) are more flexible than the new ones. I've used the original fishnet years ago, and it was very flexible compared with the racquets i was using at that time( volkl t10 gen 2).
I've 3 2008's and 3 2012's. All identical to me.

max
03-18-2013, 05:30 AM
Try using Ektelon Power Play, if you want a softer synthetic gut. This should work well in it.

CCH4TENNIS
03-18-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't think the specs have changed on this frame for quite a while. I've played both the 2008 all black version and the 2010 yellow and they play identical. The published 2012 specs look the same also.

From the Customization & Reverse Engineering Tool by TW, twistweight for the 2012 version is higher

VolklC10 Pro13.53VolklC10 Pro 201214.16
Cheers !

rhaudiogeek
03-18-2013, 10:25 PM
Question for fellow users. No matter what tension I choose on the C10 (2012) i don't seem to get the trampoline effect.

Have tried Multi Mains / Poly Crosses at following tensions:

Mains/Crosses: 52/49, 55/50...

I can tell the stringbed feels pretty tight. SBS using ERT reads 37 kg/cm at both above tension.

Any suggestions?

Ross K
03-21-2013, 11:21 PM
It's one of the great unsolved racketaholic mysteries to me... how can the C10 possibly be in the 346g/12.02 or so region? :confused:

I still consider this to swing so sweet and special as to be unique.

Hmm, unless ones I've had previously just happened to come in lighter on the QC front?

CCH4TENNIS
03-22-2013, 12:55 AM
Hi Ross

It's one of the great unsolved racketaholic mysteries to me... how can the C10 possibly be in the 346g/12.02 or so region? :confused:

Hmm, unless ones I've had previously just happened to come in lighter on the QC front?

Yes, it is a QC issue, the stock which I bought last year was only 331g strung :-( But had since then added added weight via a leather replacemnt grip plus lead tape at 7 Inches from the butt to make about 9.7pt HL

GrandSlam45
04-01-2013, 07:41 PM
My fellow C10 users....

I'm wondering has anyone with Tennis Elbow issues had success using a softer Poly string with the C10? I've tried polys with other arm friendly racquets but I still get pain. I haven't tried them yet with the C10, but curious to hear what others think.

mrmike
04-02-2013, 03:47 AM
My fellow C10 users....

I'm wondering has anyone with Tennis Elbow issues had success using a softer Poly string with the C10? I've tried polys with other arm friendly racquets but I still get pain. I haven't tried them yet with the C10, but curious to hear what others think.

I have a set of Tour Bite soft 16 in one of my C10's right now. It feels pretty good, but it's still poly. If you have TE issues I would suggest a good syngut which would be a midpoint between a multi and a poly for stiffness.

fuzz nation
04-02-2013, 04:20 AM
My fellow C10 users....

I'm 47, haven't had any arm issues in my day, and I've been playing the C10 for a few years now. I'm not interested in tempting fate with the poly options, but a couple of our pals here have enjoyed a cozy ride with the C10 strung with a poly hybrid.

I like mine with either 16 or 17 gauge syn. gut at around 61-63 lbs. I've found a little extra comfort and performance (spin, etc.) with thinner 17 ga. string and since I string my own frames, the durability isn't an issue for me. Depending on the "right" tension with either gauge, it's easy to dial in either a firm, crisp 'n snappy setup or drop a couple lbs. for a very plush ride.

If I try my C10's with a hybrid of a soft main and "soft" co-poly cross, I'll be sure to report my findings. I did that a couple years ago with another racquet, but it did nothing for me. Haven't been in a rush to try it again. Some sets of Forten Sweet in 16 and 17 gauge are on the way and those ought to offer some fun test drives, too.

In general though, if you want to save your arm and you've already experienced some some pain with poly in an arm-friendly racquet, don't kid yourself. Stay away from the poly (and co-poly), period. I've seen several stronger players, both young and older, get into trouble with arm issues after switching into a poly or hybrid in their arm-friendly racquets. I should have pitched this right out of the gate here, but my coffee hasn't quite caught up with me yet.

RiggensAuroraHO
04-02-2013, 07:31 AM
My fellow C10 users....

Arm issues? Why play with poly?

slowfox
04-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Just got a C10 Pro Tour. New. :) Gonna go back and read through this thread before I string it up and give it a test run. Just thought I'd share.

GrandSlam45
04-02-2013, 09:34 AM
I know I'm being delusional thinking poly would be ok, but Chris from TW recommended a dead poly as the best string choice for this racquet. I was wondering maybe it would be somehow safer with this frame? Yes I know.... delusional.

I will heed some of your recommendations and try a syn gut. As a recent C10 convert, I have begun the long and arduous process of finding the magic string/tension combo for this racquet.

Oddly, the demo from TW came strung with Wilson NXT 16 @ 57lbs. and it actually played really well. Maybe I'll just stick to this if I can't find anything better.

purpleULAN
04-17-2013, 05:57 PM

Were these weights including your dampener? Just received a C10 2010 that weighed in at 339, stock grip, strung with Babolat Xcel Black w/ a 3 gram dampener. Seems like the QC is all over the place.

max
04-18-2013, 06:31 AM
Guys, I never jumped on the poly bandwagon, so take this skepticism with skepticism, but I never found poly to be a good string for this frame. Better with multifilament or a soft synth for me.

You don't have to put poly in everything, imho.

mrmike
04-18-2013, 06:45 PM
So far, my favorite two strings for the C10 Pro have been RIP Control and Hexy Fiber. For me these 2 less lively multis work well. If you get the wrong string combo in this frame it becomes a rocket launcher. Polys just don't work with my arm but that is another way to tone down the power a bit.

purpleULAN
04-23-2013, 08:02 AM

I just picked up a Yellow '10 at 344g w/OG and dampener. Added lead in the handle to match my '12 which also came in light at 349g w/OG and dampener. They're both a touch lighter than stock but both swing great.

Ross K
04-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Guys, I never jumped on the poly bandwagon, so take this skepticism with skepticism, but I never found poly to be a good string for this frame. Better with multifilament or a soft synth for me.

You don't have to put poly in everything, imho.

Last time I played the C10 it had full Tour Bite at low tensions (like mid-40's), and I thought it played superbly.

I've read/heard a lot about ppl saying the C10 is a flat hitters frame (have never agreed with this), well, they've never played the C10 w/TB. :)

For sure, if you're more all court orientated this probably won't suit you, but for camping out from the baseline, well, the spin and oomph was very pronounced, you could really boom and carve the spin like it was an RD7!

10SDad
04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm on the border of joining the club and am in the process of demoing the current C10. Trying to decide if I can adjust to this bad-boy. Here are first impressions from two hours of doubles. I'm a 4.0, 51 with a flatter hitting style.

Definitely felt heavier overall both in weight and swingweight than what I have been playing with, which is either MG Radicals leaded up to 12.2 oz or Ti Radicals with leather grips. The good thing was I was not hitting against big hitters, so I had time to try and adjust my timing. It took me a while to get out of the swing out mentality and to allow the racquet to do more of the work. I was finding myself trying to muscle the ball, and that was not working. It took the first full hour before I stopped focusing on what I thought I needed to do, and until I noticed the weight less. The demo has synthetic gut and I was worried about it being too powerful based upon reviews, but I didnt find that to be an issue.

Groundstrokes: I actually hit better groundstrokes than I have with either of my Radicals. Somehow, even with the synthetic gut and weight I was able to hit a flatter, more penetrating shot that stayed in. I did benefit from the additional topspin as well. I did find if I TRIED to generate more topspin I had a harder time hitting solid. The key for me was early prep, stepping in, hitting in front, and hitting through the ball towards the target.
- Forehand was predictable, and I found that it was pretty smooth IF I got good separation between me and the ball. If the ball was in tight to my body I had a harder time getting a good stroke. Biggest issue was racquet preparation, and against a harder hitter Im not sure how quickly I could adjust.
- Backhand worked better one-handed than two, and again it was all about racquet prep, stepping in, and hitting in front. I hit a lot of backhand slice, and the C10 seemed to work well with that. Very solid.

Volleys: Once I figured out I just needed to put the racquet in the path of the ball and let the weight do the work, I volleyed pretty well. Got a lot of digs on balls at my feet. I did overhit a few times even though I didnt put much into the volley, so I can see where the added power can be an issue. And as much as I wanted to swing at times, I found that didnt work at all.

Overhead: One of my most unpredictable areas. I had some good ones and some bad. I didnt hit any long, but did net a few. Again, early prep and I had to tell myself not to hit the ball so hard.

Serves: Ouch! This was the area where I struggled the most. Took me almost the full first hour to dial in the serves, and I was double-faulting a lot. I was getting good pop and spin, but could feel that I could not generate the same racquet head speed as Im used to. Im sure my technique is not correct for this heavier racquet, as I could tell that I was trying to swing the racquet head fast instead of letting the mass do the work. I had been serving really good in our league match two days before using my MG Rad, but the same stroke was not working with the C10. In the second hour I started making some adjustments and did better, but the hardest part is the brain/muscle memory that wanted to serve differently than what I needed to do with the C10.

Comfort: No issues there. Very comfortable and solid feeling, although the grip is a little oblong for my hand. I really like the rounder grips (Dunlop), but fortunately the Heads are pretty close to the Volkl so it wasnt a huge adjustment.

I weighed it and balanced it, and without overgrip it was 12.27 oz. and 8 pts. Headlight. With overgrips and dampener it was 12.67 and 10 pts. HL. Thats about 0.5 oz. heavier than my heaviest MG Rad, even though the balance is about the same. Kind of reminded me of my Fischer M-Comp 95s I used to own several years ago.

Going to play a few more times to see if I can adjust. I want to like it, but not sure this old bod can handle the weight for an entire match.

racquetjunkie
06-15-2013, 01:38 PM
They are my current fav sticks. I have been using a pair of 2008s for about 3 years now. I m a 4.0 on a good day. Got the pair from TW. Had their MRT pick out a pair with the lightest swing weights so I can try to match the balance with lead tape. Strung with poly/syn gut hybrid and with over grips they weigh 359g each. I estimate swing weight to be 325-330 with a few inches of lead at 3 and 9. Like many of you already said, very soft feeling and great with poly hybrid (53lbs in the mains). Love the feel, decent power, and stability. They are keepers.

mikes1929
06-17-2013, 10:45 AM
I've got a 2010 C10 Pro strung with cyclone 16. Overheads have continued to be a problem area for me with this racquet. I finally picked up a used PB10 mid, and I'm serving much better with it. Overheads are much better too.

mrmike
06-17-2013, 12:18 PM
I've got a 2010 C10 Pro strung with cyclone 16. Overheads have continued to be a problem area for me with this racquet. I finally picked up a used PB10 mid, and I'm serving much better with it. Overheads are much better too.

Thats weird with the overheads since the C10 has a bigger head. I think the stock PB10 mid is more head light however. Maybe that makes the difference. Also, what tension is the cyclone at in your C10? Trying to get an idea of what a good tension is for polys in that stick.

mikes1929
06-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Thats weird with the overheads since the C10 has a bigger head. I think the stock PB10 mid is more head light however. Maybe that makes the difference. Also, what tension is the cyclone at in your C10? Trying to get an idea of what a good tension is for polys in that stick.

My C10 is strung with cyclone 16 and was at 57 lbs, but it's a hair overdue for a string job. Just got cyclone 18 @ 53 in the PB10. From what I hear, most are stringing their C10 ~57.

Pandaroo
06-18-2013, 03:02 AM
Hi all,

Newbie from Australia. Excited to see a following of the C10 Pro. Just got mine a few days ago. Never heard of this before only lately realising this model been around for sometime. Coming from using POG OS, a nice change indeed. Really drawn to the comfort, touch and feel of this stick. Got Volkl syn gut at 57lbs at the moment. Will continue to try other strings and different grip sizes/type with overgrips, leather etc.

kvan
06-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Love the frame. The upper hoop flex is perfect and the dwell time seems to never end. I also love volkl's gel buttcap, and the feel from the stringbed is great with some cyclone (17, for me). Nice from everywhere on the court but especially notice I can crush my ohbh more consistently than with my other sticks. Oh, a flared buttcap and some lead at 3 and 9 makes the package even sweeter.

Jocke
06-22-2013, 10:18 PM
...Oh, a flared buttcap and some lead at 3 and 9 makes the package even sweeter.

Sorry, English is not my first language, what is a flared buttcap?