PDA

View Full Version : Decline Over Time

Blee1613
07-23-2011, 02:57 PM
I have had my K 6.1 Tour for 2+ years now. At first the control was amazing. I just swung as hard as I could and the ball would still go in. Now, I feel like the ball is flying on me a bit more.

Do rackets truly decline over a period of time, or is it just maybe my technique is a bit sloppy?

OldButGame
07-23-2011, 03:02 PM
How fresh are the strings??...2+years is not very old for a racquet,...but its VERY old for strings,...and You would see what You are seeing now...:neutral:

Rabbit
07-23-2011, 03:10 PM
^^^
+1
Most likely, unless you are above a 5.5 on the NTRP scale, it's the strings.

Fuji
07-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Just please, whatever you do, don't say you've had the same set of poly in there for the past 2 years. My arm will fall off. LOL!

99.999% chance you just need a new string job, unless you've strung the frame at least 150 times in the past 2 years, then I could see some frame fatigue for sure.

-Fuji

whomad15
07-23-2011, 11:02 PM
my racquet is 25+ years old and still plays fantastic. Older than I am. I suggest changing your strings.

Blee1613
07-24-2011, 02:50 AM
It's definetly not my strings. I restring probably about every 2 months. But that is with a rotation of 3 rackets.

Dave M
07-24-2011, 03:44 AM
It's definetly not my strings. I restring probably about every 2 months. But that is with a rotation of 3 rackets.

unless you really neglect the frame it's not the racquet.I'd say (if it was me) that it's time to see your local pro for a refresh?

UCSF2012
07-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Put on a fresh set of strings and see what happens. Rackets do get more flexy over time, but the hypercarbon is just super stiff and doesn't go soft fast. If it's still flexy after a new string job, an MRT can measure racket stiffness for you.

Blee1613
07-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Wait could exposing it to heat be a problem? During the tennis season I would leave my rackets in the car during school, and it can get pretty hot in there...

UCSF2012
07-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Wait could exposing it to heat be a problem? During the tennis season I would leave my rackets in the car during school, and it can get pretty hot in there...

Yup. Heat and rackets = dead rackets.

Dharmaboy
07-24-2011, 06:18 PM
I can attest to dead racquets. I have an old Slazenger which I've had 10+ years. I used to leave it in the garage through dead of winter and high summer heat.

My dad who is getting back into it tried to play with it recently. it was like hitting a ball with petrified wood. Even with new strings. he picked up my Head Youtek Speed and no problem. he felt much better about his swing.

I can pretty much throw that stick in the garbage. When a ball hits it, its dead air sounding. very bizarre.

Blee1613
07-25-2011, 05:15 AM
Im an idiot... But would it be that bad if I only did this for like 2 months?

Fuji
07-25-2011, 07:34 AM
Oh yeah! Leaving rackets in a hot car can be killer! I had a friend that did the same thing as you and his rackets felt like they flexed out to no end!!!

-Fuji

rich s
07-25-2011, 07:47 AM
heat and rackets = dead rackets.

I disagree....

dead string, not dead racquets..... the resins used in racquets are not degraded by temps in the 100 deg F range. They are degraded by temps in the 300+ F deg range.....

I agree they might be more flexible when it is warm out and more stiff when it is colder out, but not permanently affected by such relatively low temps.

Fuji
07-25-2011, 07:57 AM
I disagree....

dead string, not dead racquets..... the resins used in racquets are not degraded by temps in the 100 deg F range. They are degraded by temps in the 300+ F deg range.....

I agree they might be more flexible when it is warm out and more stiff when it is colder out, but not permanently affected by such relatively low temps.

I disagree with you to some extent.

My friend left his rackets in the truck of his car, no case, and the temps hit +35 Celsius,outside, for over a week. He didn't take them out at all, and sure enough they were next to unplayable. He ended up just giving them away and buying new sticks.

-Fuji