PDA

View Full Version : Aeropro drive gt and old guy

rjw
07-23-2011, 08:05 PM
I demo'd and then bought one and I am fairly impressed with it.

It forces me to hit a better stroke, otherwise the ball is out or wide.

It has also seemed to add a bit more spin to my serve and my opponents are telling me that the serve is coming in a LOT harder.....All in all, I'm hitting a heavier ball. I even managed to win a few games totally on aces...out wide from the deuce and down the middle on the add...which for me is pretty impressive.

So far I like this stick.....hope my elbow doesn't object down the road

corbind
07-23-2011, 10:17 PM
That is a pretty stiff stick. Hope your arm holds out. :)

parasailing
07-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Better make sure you use natural gut or a multi else I can forsee some injuries coming around the corner with such a stiff racquet.

Fuji
07-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Please avoid poly in it! It's great for retaining power, but your arm can suffer from it, A LOT!

-Fuji

rjw
07-23-2011, 10:52 PM
I really appreciate the concern...I am also VERY concerned.

I am currently using 17G Wilson sensation, which I believe is a multi strand syn gut at 57 lbs. It's what they included with the racket along with a Yonex overgrip and a cheap vibe dampner which fell off.:)

I've also, on occasion, been hitting with Micro X balls, which should be even harder on the elbow, but so far everything feels good.

I have a SP ball machine coming (which is why I am trying out the Micro X's) and hope that a better fuller swing will keep the pain away.....?

I guess we'll see

whomad15
07-23-2011, 10:54 PM
If you have good technique the chances are low.
Honestly strings make the biggest difference after a certain point.
Elbow problem sufferer here. I use a POG.

rjw
07-23-2011, 11:02 PM
A couple of side notes....

I like the feel without the VD

Coming out of a 15 year retirement from the game, I am/was totally old school. I'm working on adding some modern strokes to my game. Biggest problem so far is the grips....lol

Took me a while to figure out how to even swing with a western or even semi-western grip. Almost ripped my arm out of my shoulder trying to get the racquet even close to square with the ball and never got any extreme topspin, in that force of habit caused me to want to still swing through the friggin ball!!! I'm geting it figured out tho......practice makes perfect and once I get the machine, things should get better in short order.

rjw
07-23-2011, 11:04 PM
If you have good technique the chances are low.
Honestly strings make the biggest difference after a certain point.
Elbow problem sufferer here. I use a POG.

What is POG??

I am looking for any better options to the Wilson sens..if anyone has some suggestions. I would like to stay with 17g

thanks guys

Boricua
07-24-2011, 06:32 AM
I demo'd and then bought one and I am fairly impressed with it.

It forces me to hit a better stroke, otherwise the ball is out or wide.

It has also seemed to add a bit more spin to my serve and my opponents are telling me that the serve is coming in a LOT harder.....All in all, I'm hitting a heavier ball. I even managed to win a few games totally on aces...out wide from the deuce and down the middle on the add...which for me is pretty impressive.

So far I like this stick.....hope my elbow doesn't object down the road

I have been on and off with this racket. It hurts my shoulder if I use poly as a main or full bed. I recommend muti or gut. I will try Head Intellitour multis and maybe a hybrid with gut mains or full gut.

Its the only racket where I can swing my natural topspin strokes but one has to adjust to the stiffness, so be careful and cautious with the strings you use.

Also, listen to your body.

Boricua
07-24-2011, 07:01 AM
What is POG??

I am looking for any better options to the Wilson sens..if anyone has some suggestions. I would like to stay with 17g

thanks guys

Head Intellitour

Babolat Excel

Mantis Comfort Synthetic

Weiss Cannon Explosiv

Babolat VS Gut

Pacific Gut

TheOneHander
07-24-2011, 07:41 AM
What is POG??

thanks guys

Prince Original Graphite. A classic racquet among classic racquets :)

Tecnifibre NRG2 is a very soft string. I recommend it to many of my customers who suffer from TE and I have heard nothing but praise it.

You can also check this link out: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catpage.html?CREF=163

rjw
07-24-2011, 07:44 AM
I want to stay with syn multi and 17g for the time being. the wilson sens seems to be working for the moment and seems cheap enough.

I don't mind that the strings move a bit...will probably get worse as they age?

How about longevity?

Currently at 57 lbs. Common sense tells me that looser = easier on elbow? but less control...How tight have you guys had them strung? (with syn gut)

rjw
07-24-2011, 07:54 AM

Tecnifibre NRG2 is a very soft string. I recommend it to many of my customers who suffer from TE and I have heard nothing but praise it.

You can also check this link out: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catpage.html?CREF=163

I'm OTL....on the etennis acronyms

That NRG2 sounds nice......

I have to consider performance, durability and cost, in that I've been hitting for a few hours a day, everyday and sometimes twice a day...

If I have to change strings once a week, 2 weeks or whatever, then I will elect to go econo...but multi syn

TheOneHander
07-24-2011, 07:56 AM
I want to stay with syn multi and 17g for the time being. the wilson sens seems to be working for the moment and seems cheap enough.

I don't mind that the strings move a bit...will probably get worse as they age?

How about longevity?

Currently at 57 lbs. Common sense tells me that looser = easier on elbow? but less control...How tight have you guys had them strung? (with syn gut)

So Wilson is a multifilament. It is a synthetic string, but not a synthetic gut. There is a difference :) As it gets older, it will move more. Multis and syn guts, depending on how you play and how often you play, vary in lifespan. I break strings about once every three weeks but I hit with a good bit of spin and play fairly often. It really depends on you.

And looser has less control, more power. Dropping the tension helps my elbow, that's for sure. I string with a soft multifilament at 55 lbs, but I think I'm going to go down to 53 next time I restring. When I used synthetic guts, I strung around 60, but I prefer multis because they're softer and have a "cleaner" feel for me.

I'm OTL....on the etennis acronyms

That NRG2 sounds nice......

I have to consider performance, durability and cost, in that I've been hitting for a few hours a day, everyday and sometimes twice a day...

If I have to change strings once a week, 2 weeks or whatever, then I will elect to go econo...but multi syn

TE is tennis elbow.

And NRG2 is pricey, but it's very comfortable. If you're not having problems with Sensation, though, you don't have to go up in price that high. As for durability, how much spin do you hit?

And a good economy string is Gosen OG Sheep Micro (OGSM). Really cheap, really comfy. Another good synthetic gut is Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex (PSGD). Both are worth a playtest.

rjw
07-24-2011, 08:19 AM
I don't consistently hit with extreme spin at the moment, but I am progressing nicely to more modern strokes, so I can see string movement becoming a bit of an issue in the near future.

Back in the day, I only used nat gut, although my last set of racquets ( very flexible) had Pro Hurricane tour 17g. I sold the pair to a hitting partner on the same day that I bought the APDGT...lol

How different will a true syn gut feel as compared to the Wilson sens?

nadalex
07-24-2011, 08:21 AM
i used to serve bombs in my apdgt with dunlop mfil tour multi. my arm just didnt like the racquet

rjw
07-24-2011, 08:30 AM
My comeback into the sport has been possibly ***** backwards. I am working on adding heavy top stokes to my old school stuff and until recently, not much serve work.

A few weeks ago, I had a very lazy shoulder turn and my arm wasn't liking it at all. I managed to correct this, but found myself trying to overhit.

My first few days with the APDGT, my serve improved 200% or more and my arm and shoulder don't feel anything. Rather than being exhausted from serving, I feel no pain (yet). Serve wise, I find this racquet is a dream...

Boricua
07-24-2011, 07:21 PM
My comeback into the sport has been possibly ***** backwards. I am working on adding heavy top stokes to my old school stuff and until recently, not much serve work.

A few weeks ago, I had a very lazy shoulder turn and my arm wasn't liking it at all. I managed to correct this, but found myself trying to overhit.

My first few days with the APDGT, my serve improved 200% or more and my arm and shoulder don't feel anything. Rather than being exhausted from serving, I feel no pain (yet). Serve wise, I find this racquet is a dream...

With a soft stringbed maybe, with copoly it could affect our shoulder or arm

dadozen
07-25-2011, 06:12 AM
I know a bunch of middle-aged guys( I won't call you old guys;) ) that use the APD and they are fine with it. They have old school strokes, hit fairly flat, but they manage to play their best game with this racquet.

I guess that if you have a solid technique, you'll probably stay away from elbow problems.

rjw
07-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Had a curious string related adventure last nite...

Mu son is a total animal and is also demoing this stick. His demo had 16 gauge DEAD strings in it.

He asked to try mine with 17g sensation, and on his 3rd or 4th hit, he shanked and broke the string.

I played with his demo for about 2 hours and the stick felt heavy to my arm and like playing with a steel pipe....

My arm was worn out, but not in pain....I guess that a thin live string makes a big difference....lol

rjw
07-25-2011, 10:19 AM

I just had 2 racquets strung with the NRG2 17g...we'll see how this works out

thx

nadalex
07-25-2011, 10:23 AM
I truly think that mantis comfort synthetic is THE perfect string for the Aeropro. It tames the power of the frame and serves bombs