PDA

View Full Version : stringing tip needed: restringing main only

tomtn
07-24-2011, 01:41 PM
can anyone offer advice and experience on string gut in the crosses and restringing the main when it breaks while leaving the gut uncut. thanks, i am planning to use this method with ps85 and blx90. thanks

will it damage the racquet in the long run or warp the frame?

MuscleWeave
07-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Bad idea. Just restring if you like your racquet.

Up&comer
07-24-2011, 04:16 PM
It will break the frame.

thebeast73
07-24-2011, 04:19 PM
there is a reason why you always string the mains first

tomtn
07-25-2011, 07:16 PM
thanks for the responses.

pvaudio
07-25-2011, 07:24 PM
This is what I honestly believe: if you cannot afford to restring the entire racquet when the strings break, then you need to be using cheaper string. Restringing half of a stringbed is a simply terrible practice to get into.

diredesire
07-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Question: How do you start the crosses?
Answer: (Almost always) by tying it to a main.

Is it possible? Yes. Don't bother, though.

However... If you're bent on trying it, learn about the figure 8 starting knot, but you'll probably have to consider frame mounting... would you start it sideways? :confused:

Steve Huff
07-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Theoretically, you could do it if you tied your crosses to another cross both top and bottom. Is it a good idea? No. But, if you decide to do it anyway, make sure you have the racket in a 6 pt stringer. To keep the pressure more even, cut out the main strings 1 at a time as you tension the new one. In other words, mount the racket, cut out the 1st mains on each side, weave the new 1st mains, tension. Then, cut out the 2nd, weave and tension the new 2nd and so on. Don't cut out all the mains before starting. Also, I'd bet that you have one of your cross tie-offs to a main. If that's the case, you have to string the entire racket.

cellofaan
07-28-2011, 02:05 AM
I don't think it matters if you're using a 6-point mount system in this case.
The mounting system prevents the racquet head from deforming when stringing the mains (keep it from getting shorter and wider). Cutting out the mains would result in a deformation in the opposite direction.

fortun8son
07-28-2011, 02:31 AM
One word...DON'T!

ricardo
07-29-2011, 12:11 PM
I use Natural Gut in the Mains and the crosses always break first so I just re-string just the crosses. I use multi's in the crosses (various).

I have done this hundred of times and never had any problem whatsoever.

Re-string just the Mains
I tried this but I think it is not possible because the crosses ties-off on the Mains.

I re-string my own rackets using Gamma X2

jim e
07-29-2011, 07:55 PM
I tried this but I think it is not possible because the crosses ties-off on the Mains.

It is possible but I would not do it.
If you plan ahead for this you could do that, but I would certainly not even attempt it. You would 1st have to string the mains and tie off to mains as normal, then when starting cross strings, use a starting clamp, weave and tension first few crosses, then tie off on a cross string, and at last cross , tie off on a cross string again.Now you have cross strings tied to cross strings.After this you should be able to do that.

What are you really gaining after that? As most stringers strive for consistancy, and you really would not know or duplicate the tension or characteristics of the worn strings that remain, and you would never be able to exactly duplicate that half as*ed job again.Since you are stringing yourself, you are saving a decent amount already, be happy with that.

tlm
07-29-2011, 08:42 PM
I have changed just the x's many times with no problem, but i would never try to just change the mains. I don't even know if it is possible.

Bud
07-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Like others have stated... bad idea. You can remount the racquet and cut out the crosses... then restring those.

However, better idea just to put in fresh string.