PDA

View Full Version : Silverstring vs Tornado vs BH Silver Rough - Initial Thoughts...

TripleB
07-24-2011, 04:16 PM
I recently purchased three Dunlop Aerogel 4D 300 racquets from Tennis Warehouse. All three had identical weight, swingweight, and balance point before stringing. Each also has Gosen OG Sheep Micro Super 16L crosses and are strung at 54 pounds mains and 56 pounds crosses.

The mains I used are: WeissCannon Silverstring 1.20mm, Signum Pro Tornado 1.23, and Tourna Big Hitter Silver Rough 1.25.

My 4th racquet has the same weight, swingweight, and balance point as the other three but has Forten Synthetic Gut Sweet 16 in the crosses (WeissCannon TurboTwist 1.24mm mains) so I didn't use it when comparing the other three racquets today.

I did hit with it for about 10 minutes (out of the 2 hours and 45 minutes I played today) and love it except the feel is still just a bit too soft.

So in comparing the three strings, here's how I would rank them (best to worst):

Volleys: BHSR, Tornado, Silverstring
Topspin: Tornado, BHSR, Silverstring
Slice: BHSR, Silverstring, Tornado
Returns: Silverstring, BHSR, Tornado
Groundstrokes: Silverstring, BHSR, Tornado
Serves Kick: BHSR, Silverstring, Tornado
Serves Flat: Silverstring, BHSR, Tornado
Touch: Tornado, Silverstring, BHSR
Feel: Silverstring, Tornado, BHSR
Comfort: Tornado, BHSR, Silverstring
Control: Tornado, BHSR, Silverstring
Power: Silverstring, BHSR, Tornado
Overall: Tie between Silverstring and BHSR, Tornado

Tornado: incredible topspin but slice seems to sit up a bit, with this string the ball sounded like I crushed it but it didn't have near the pace as the other two strings, control with this string was spot on, touch at net due to the lower power and softer feel was excellent, first impression is that this string doesn't have enough power (at least at 54 pounds) to make a good match with my 4D 300

Silverstring: this is fantastic all around string, doesn't do anything spectacluar but does everything consistently well, probably the best combination of power and control of the three, had a harder time getting some kick on my serves than with the BHSR, this string was definitely better on flat serves than the other two, great power and much better than average control, groundstrokes is really what stood out for me using this string - excellent combination of control, spin, and power, it's too close to call between this and BHSR right now but if I had to go with just one (of the three), this would probably be it

BHSR: after the first hour or so this was probably my favorite string, it really gave me tremendous confidence on serves - flat with control or spin with some action - this string did both very well, the one are I struggled a bit with this racquet was depth control, the Silverstring offered a little more pop so I found my groundstrokes landing deep in the court, volleys were above average with this racquet and it seemed like the BHSR enlarged the sweetspot - very noticeable at net - but I didn't find as good of touch or feel with this string as the other two, I prefer the Silverstring on groundstrokes but this one on serves

TripleB

hebrewhammer
07-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Nice review man

-Bobo-
07-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Any reason you didn't use SS in 1.25 as well?

TripleB
07-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Any reason you didn't use SS in 1.25 as well?

The other three strings I'm looking at are all textured or shaped. I went with the Silverstring in the 1.20 since it wasn't shaped...I figured the thinner gauge might help with spin production.

TripleB

topspin18
07-25-2011, 11:35 AM
i really want to try bhsr. I have hit with BHBR and that string may be a tad to powerful for me and want a stiffer string for added "crispness".

Does BHSR feel crisp?

OldButGame
07-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Nice review TripleB,...regarding SS,...thats precisely how i woulda described it too,... :)

pvaudio
07-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Wow, this is absolutely frightening. I agree with everything you said, and I mean everything. Although BHSR is not my favorite by a long shot, your analysis is 100% identical to mine :)

TripleB
07-26-2011, 04:36 AM
Wow, this is absolutely frightening. I agree with everything you said, and I mean everything. Although BHSR is not my favorite by a long shot, your analysis is 100% identical to mine :)

If you're agreeing with something I said, that is scary....for you!!!

What string are you loving right now pvaudio?

As you can tell from my other post I've got my choice narrowed down to only six :mrgreen:: Turbotwist, Black 5 Edge, Silverstring, BHSR, BHBR, and Cyclone

TripleB

TripleB
08-03-2011, 12:53 PM
After hitting about 160 serves or so this afternoon with the Silverstring, TurboTwist, and Big Hitter Silver Rough, I've decided that Silverstring is not the string for me.

I like the directional control I get on flat serves with the Silverstring but power isn't as easy to come by as with the TurboTwist or the Big Hitter Silver Rough.

What really kills this string for me on the serve is the lack of spin I get with it compared to the TurboTwist or BHSR. With the TT and BHSR I had great success in hitting heavy spin and having the ball drop deep in the service box. With the Silverstring the ball just never seemed to drop, therefore I hit many, many, many 'spin' serves long...and not just a little long, about 2 or 3 feet long. In order to be aggressive on 1st serves I gotta have a lot of confidence in my 2nd serve, unfortunately I just don't get that confidence with this string.

I got the same feeling about this string when I was playing with it a week and a half ago but I was playing doubles at the time and really didn't a chance to serve a great deal. Today when I had the chance to serve 50 to 60 balls with it I was really able to see the service problems I have with this string (at least for me and my serve).

I served great with both the TurboTwist and BHSR - both offer pretty easy power (TT more than the BHSR, but the TT has a much softer cross) and excellent spin on 2nd serves.

TripleB

The Big Kahuna
08-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Tornado: incredible topspin but slice seems to sit up a bit, with this string the ball sounded like I crushed it but it didn't have near the pace as the other two strings, control with this string was spot on, touch at net due to the lower power and softer feel was excellent, first impression is that this string doesn't have enough power (at least at 54 pounds) to make a good match with my 4D 300 - TripleB

This would be contrary to all the reviews posted on SPP Tornado I can find. After conducting my own personal playtest of the leading Polys, I settled on Tornado and have never looked back.

Tornado is GREAT blend of spin, power, and comfort. Buttery, solid, with lots of feel. AWESOME! Plays soft and cushioned like gut with similar spin potential. Signum Pro Tornado Rated 5th best overall string by Stringforum.net (with only gut beating it out) in 2010 and their Top Rated Poly for the same year.

Compares to TF Black Code. - lively and explosive. Mantis Comfort added as a hybrid for superb touch and precision. Closest comparison is to MSV Pro HEX 17. Tornado is good for hybrids as the main string, however the cross string should not be too thin, otherwise it will be sawed by the Tornado.

My recommendation: Don't string too high (decrease tension by 10%). Provides a bit better feel than the Black Code. Additionally, I found good comfort in the Tornado. Spin was also better with the Tornado. This will be my standard string for the season - and very likely beyond.

Highly recommended.

Doubles
08-03-2011, 01:20 PM
For those that have tried it, how would you say BHSR compares to Typhoon, or Tourbite? I've tried both SS and Tornado, and while Tornado gave tremendous spin, I thought it felt "flat." I didn't feel like I had a whole lot of directional control, and volleys were sub par. SS was nice, but it didn't give me as much spin as I wanted...

TripleB
08-03-2011, 01:47 PM
This would be contrary to all the reviews posted on SPP Tornado I can find. Signum Pro Tornado Rated 5th best overall string by Stringforum.net (with only gut beating it out) in 2010 and their Top Rated Poly for the same year.

All the reviews or ratings really don't matter...just like racquets, these isn't a correct one for everybody or they wouldn't make so many. Those are my thoughts on the Tornado string...it's not for me.

I've tried both SS and Tornado, and while Tornado gave tremendous spin, I thought it felt "flat."

Exactly.

TripleB

Backhanded Compliment
08-03-2011, 02:04 PM
I use Silverstring 1.20 full bed and it gives me plenty of bite on my twist second serve + tons of control (Im using a prestige though (the dunlop 300 tour in my mind was a great flat serving racket but not as good for twist serves).

Still, I suggest trying a full bed, I S&V with the stuff so it definitely has feel too. Id rank it as second best in Feel for polys... 1st is Black Magic but it doesnt have the spin and is too powerful for my taste on my prestige (I just strung up my new OLD Max 200g with it though).

jeroenn
08-03-2011, 02:35 PM
@big kahuna:
Would that be Mantis Comfort Poly or Mantis Comfort Synthetic Gut?

Cheers!
J

Torres
08-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Compares to TF Black Code. - lively and explosive.

If BlackCode is 'lively and explosive', then we have very different definitions of 'lively and explosive'.

'Plastic fantastic' might be a better description of BlackCode.

It's not a bad string, but its not a particularly good one either. Same with Tornado.

nickarnold2000
08-03-2011, 08:21 PM
This would be contrary to all the reviews posted on SPP Tornado I can find. After conducting my own personal playtest of the leading Polys, I settled on Tornado and have never looked back.

Tornado is GREAT blend of spin, power, and comfort. Buttery, solid, with lots of feel. AWESOME! Plays soft and cushioned like gut with similar spin potential. Signum Pro Tornado Rated 5th best overall string by Stringforum.net (with only gut beating it out) in 2010 and their Top Rated Poly for the same year.

Compares to TF Black Code. - lively and explosive. Mantis Comfort added as a hybrid for superb touch and precision. Closest comparison is to MSV Pro HEX 17. Tornado is good for hybrids as the main string, however the cross string should not be too thin, otherwise it will be sawed by the Tornado.

My recommendation: Don't string too high (decrease tension by 10%). Provides a bit better feel than the Black Code. Additionally, I found good comfort in the Tornado. Spin was also better with the Tornado. This will be my standard string for the season - and very likely beyond.

Highly recommended.
I'm a big Tornado fan too! :)

TripleB
09-02-2011, 05:33 PM
After a long time of trying different strings it come down to either BHSR or BHBR (both with Gosen OG Sheep Micro Super 16L crosses). These two just stand out in terms of control, spin, feel, power, and touch.

I've been trying these for what seems like forever...going out for a few hours of singles tomorrow morning and then make a final decision.

Thanks for everyone's input.

TripleB

TenFanLA
09-02-2011, 08:05 PM
After a long time of trying different strings it come down to either BHSR or BHBR (both with Gosen OG Sheep Micro Super 16L crosses). These two just stand out in terms of control, spin, feel, power, and touch.

I've been trying these for what seems like forever...going out for a few hours of singles tomorrow morning and then make a final decision.

Thanks for everyone's input.

TripleB

I've hit with both BHBR and BHSR, and Cyclone. I had to put down Cyclone with YT Extreme Pro because it was elbow unfriendly. I prefer BHBR over BHSR. BHBR simply feels very comfortable, pockets the ball and puts wicked spin and weight behind the ball. As long as I don't swing wild like the 4.5 hacker version of Nadal and swing more like Agassi, BHBR and YT EP combo is simply awesome for serves, spin, power and comfort.

TripleB
09-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Tourna Big Hitter Silver Rough with Gosen OG Sheep Micro Super 16L crosses at 54/56 (TW stringer) is my new string combination of choice.

It was tough because I love both the BHSR and the BHBR. The Blue Rough gives me more spin, slightly better feel, more dwell time on the strings, and a bit more pop. The Silver Rough gives me much better control, the ability to keep the ball deeper in the court, better combination of pop/control on my serve (perfect amount of pop on 1st serves and the right amount of spin to go after 2nd serves), and a more consistent response off the racquet face. Again, both strings are awesome but the BHSR gives me more confidence when taking the court.

TripleB

TripleB
09-04-2011, 04:59 PM
The Silver Rough gives me much better control, the ability to keep the ball deeper in the court, better combination of pop/control on my serve (perfect amount of pop on 1st serves and the right amount of spin to go after 2nd serves)
TripleB

I guess it all depends on the day. Today I couldn't find the service box using the Silver Rough. I bet I averaged 1.5 double faults per game using the Silver Rough/Gosen hybrid. I even switched to a Silver Rough/Gosen set up strung a bit tighter and still couldn't find the box.

Switched over to the Blue Rough set up and was hitting great flat first serves and excellent kicking second serves. Maybe had 1 double fault in 6 service games with the Blue Rough.

I still felt like on groundstrokes the ball felt a little more consistent with the Silver Rough but I might could get that same consistency if I bumped up the Blue Rough/Gosen tension to 60/62.

TripleB

TenFanLA
09-04-2011, 08:19 PM
[B]I guess it all depends on the day. Today I couldn't find the service box using the Silver Rough. I bet I averaged 1.5 double faults per game using the Silver Rough/Gosen hybrid...

Maybe you just had a bad serving day. But if you are DFing 1.5 per GAME, the string is not the issue. That said, with BHBR I can be more aggressive on my 2nd serve kickers because the string really brings the ball down into the court so I can hit harder and closer to the lines.

rofl_copter3
09-18-2011, 08:37 PM
I recently strung a 4d 300 tour with tornado after cutting out ss and i have to say the weiss silver felt very good in comparison to the tornado but the control and spin from tornado are very good. I too have to say the power is lacking in tornado but i can really swing out and still keep the ball in. I did string the tornado at 58/56 and wish it was about 6 pounds softer... Overall the tornado leaves me wanting more power