PDA

View Full Version : Babolat N.Vy...Best Cross String?

tennisjon
07-24-2011, 07:00 PM
I have been using the Babolat N.Vy 16g for the past few years as a cross string with various polys (Technifibre Black Code, MSV Focus Hex, Dunlop Black Widow are my favs). I have recommended the N.Vy to many people and so far, not a single complaint (except for the one person who strung an entire racquet with it). We all agree that it is soft, durable, relatively inexpensive and pockets the ball well. It is a great replacement for a multifilament.

So, my question is....Do other people agree/disagree? It could be that I influence others in their opinion, so I offer it up. What are other people's experience with it?

Up&comer
07-24-2011, 08:30 PM
It's not a bad string, but it just doesn't do anything WELL for a multi. It's a good discount multi, but there are other multis that are just worth it if you want to use one.

tennisjon
07-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Its not a multi, its a monofilament. Are you sure you are talking about the same string?

Up&comer
07-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Its not a multi, its a monofilament. Are you sure you are talking about the same string?

Yep. Sorry, it's a synthetic. (monofilament with two outer wraps). My opinion still holds. Doesn't do anything exceptionally well but doesn't have too many flaws.

ethebull
07-25-2011, 05:57 AM
The special slick coating claims aren't realized in hybrid applications because it notches pretty quickly.

bad_call
07-25-2011, 06:18 AM
+1 ..... N.Vy works for me in the crosses with poly mains.

tennisjon
07-25-2011, 07:44 AM
The special slick coating claims aren't realized in hybrid applications because it notches pretty quickly.

My N.Vy strings don't notch at all. They just slide, even though I string tight.

Lsmkenpo
07-25-2011, 10:33 AM
The string was designed specifically not to notch when used in a hybrid with a poly.

It is an excellent cross string one of the best.

A combination of Alu power mains and N.vy crosses plays fantastic, better than natural gut crosses with Alu , in my experience. The Alu doesn't feel like it goes dead nearly as fast when I cross with N.vy compared to natural gut.

mrtrinh
07-25-2011, 10:51 AM
how does it compare to gosen og micro?

bad_call
07-25-2011, 10:53 AM

mo better. ;) ...but costs more as expected.

mrtrinh
07-25-2011, 11:02 AM
mo better. ;) ...but costs more as expected.

haha care to elaborate? softer or stiffer? crisp?

bad_call
07-25-2011, 11:10 AM
haha care to elaborate? softer or stiffer? crisp?

a bit softer, holds ball better, better tension holding...need mo? ;)

Lsmkenpo
07-25-2011, 11:21 AM

I found N.vy much better than the Gosen to hybrid with poly , crisper feel, more spin, less friction between the strings because of the N.vy silica coating.

The only thing better with the Gosen is the price.

tennisjon
07-25-2011, 11:51 AM
I used to use Gosen before switching to N.Vy. I would say the N.Vy is a little softer and with the coating it slides better, which aids the main string. It is more expensive, but considering its durability and that you are only using a half set as a cross string, its well worth extra $1 or so per string job.

TennisCJC
07-26-2011, 01:20 PM
any one ever try N.vy mains with poly cross? Textured poly cross?

TripleB
07-26-2011, 04:17 PM
I tried it in this packaged hybrid: http://http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Hybrid_Pro_HurricaneNVY_16_String/descpageACBAB-BPHNV17.html and, it may have been the Pro Hurricane, but didn't like this combination at all.

My two favorite crosses are Forten Synthetic Gut Sweet 16g (softer) and Gosen OG Sheep Micro Super 16L (more crisp).

TripleB

jmverdugo
07-26-2011, 04:44 PM
I also think it is is really good, even as a full set up.

JT Corona
07-26-2011, 06:44 PM
As a full set up, it is very soft and feels like I lack some control. I guess the 2 outer wraps are what make it so comfortable. (BLX90 @ 58 lbs.)

Rogael Naderer
07-28-2011, 03:36 AM
Thanks to this thread I have taken the plunge and gone for a set of N.Vy 1.30mm as a cross for Weisscannon Silverstring 1.25mm mains.

Hoping to add a little more crispness, pop and feel to my normal setup of SS fullbed at 53lbsm 50lbsx.

I'm thinking of putting this in at a 53lbs (mains and crosses) to 55lbs (mains and crosses.)

I'll report back on how this plays, I can only compare it to a setup of Alu Power 1.25mm mains with TF Syn Gut 1.30mm crosses at 53lbs; that setup was the worst thing I've ever played with and gave me wrist and arm pain which I rarely ever get with full beds of Alu/Silverstring.

tennisjon
07-28-2011, 11:48 AM
My team plays with the TF or NVy. Both are relatively soft monos. They all prefer the N.Vy., but agree that the TF at nearly half the price isn't a bad alternative.

bad_call
08-04-2011, 01:22 PM
anyone try the 17g N.Vy?

BobFL
08-04-2011, 04:07 PM
anyone try the 17g N.Vy?

Hahahha, I offered you 1/2 set but you ignored me :) Remember?

bad_call
08-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Hahahha, I offered you 1/2 set but you ignored me :) Remember?

think it was 16g...and i used it thank you. :) the 17g is new afaik. your memory is catching up to mine. ;)

jbTennissee
08-07-2011, 01:55 PM
This N.Vy sounds like what I've been looking for in a cross, with folks having experience of low notching and good sliding. I just tried Gosen Nanocubic 16 as cross for WC B5E, hoping to get low friction due to Gosen's claim of "nano-fullerene blended coating provides increased resistance to notching", but the friction seems high, the B5E not giving anything special in spin with this setup.

I'll be giving this N.Vy a try.

tennisjon
08-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Let us know what you think. I tend to string it a pound tighter than most monos but the same tension I would string a multi.

bad_call
08-07-2011, 05:48 PM
This N.Vy sounds like what I've been looking for in a cross, with folks having experience of low notching and good sliding. I just tried Gosen Nanocubic 16 as cross for WC B5E, hoping to get low friction due to Gosen's claim of "nano-fullerene blended coating provides increased resistance to notching", but the friction seems high, the B5E not giving anything special in spin with this setup.

I'll be giving this N.Vy a try.

the ball cupping (dwell time) is what this player appreciates with N.Vy. the spin is an added benefit.

tried a smooth slick poly in the crosses with B5E mains and the spin was ridiculous.