PDA

View Full Version : Why Doesn't Agassi Still Use the POG?

smackit93
04-26-2004, 10:36 AM
I know this is kind of a silly question because players evolve, etc. But I'm wondering with all the rave reviews of the POG (Prince Original Graphite) why Agassi isn't still using it. Any theories on what he gets out of the Liquidmedal Radical OS that he can't get from the POG?

Also, is it true the POG is one of the very best spin racquets ever? If yes, what makes it so?

chad shaver
04-26-2004, 10:39 AM
Answer to question #1: Money

Answer to question #2: That's not really a LM, but it's a smaller head than what he used to play, so he gets a little better racquet head speed.

Bora
04-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Along the same lines, if POG is such a great racquet than how come everyone isn't playing with it?

Or, how about this, how come he isn't using the same Donnay's? Money has lots to do with it ofcourse but if you could have a company custom make racquets to your specs, would you stick with an off-the-shelf one?

I do understand this facination with spin potential, though. I used to love playing with my Volkl Q10. It added some extra spin to my every shot. Unfortunately, there are many more variables to consider when one is looking for the ultimate stick.

BreakPoint
04-26-2004, 11:38 AM
How do we know his paintjob LM Radical is not just really a POG clone underneath? Since Head is making a custom racquet for him anyway, why can't they just make it so that it plays very similar to a POG?

mary fierce
04-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Agassi was asked this question recently after a match and responded that he wanted something with a little less weight and a little more power. Just like us, I suppose!

Robert Jones
04-26-2004, 12:13 PM
Back in the early 90s I purchased that Agassi Donnay stick. The one I purchased what not the one he used though. Found out he painted it to look like the public version. Horrible stick, it was like wilson 2.0 power stick.

I had heard that he liked his old Prince more.

Loud
04-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Ditto on dough from Donnay.

rich s
04-26-2004, 05:41 PM
Because Head is currently offering him more money than any other racquet manufacturer

BHud
04-27-2004, 05:16 PM
Why isn't everyone playing w/ the POG...it's a fantastic stick, but tends to get heavy well into a 2nd set. I play the POG OS, but have been looking for a lighter replacement for 2 years...only to find that nothing matches up...there are no substitutes.

My wet dream would be TW announcing the return of the POG 100 longbody project...I would take that baby, drop 1/4" off the handle, and have a more maneuverable POG that fit right between the current models...ooooohhhhh, I can only dream :cry:

Please TW...PLEASE!

PhatAbbott
04-28-2004, 04:22 AM
I never really thought the Pog Os was too heavy. I think quite allot of the weight comes from the leather grip. If you want it a little lighter try taking it off and putting a synthetic grip on.

Im intrested in the longbody stick. What makes it so special that Ferrero and Coria use it. Do you have its specs?

Kirko
04-28-2004, 08:09 PM
I remember when Donnay was having trouble working out the kind of frame he wanted he used the POG with a "D" stencil for awhile. The POG is the straw that stirs the drink .