PDA

View Full Version : Switch from Precision Equipe

puck1230
07-03-2005, 04:57 AM
20 y/o college player, western fh, 2 hand backhand. 6'1" tall, 160 lbs.

I've been playing with a precision equipe standard 95 for the last few years. I only have one left now, and it's in pretty bad condition. Because they are discontinued and impossible to find, I have decided it's time to make a switch. But, all the new sticks I've tried don't quite live up to my old equipe.

I have tried:
Liquidmetal Radical MP - like it, but can't stand the grip
AeroPro Drive Standard - Slight lack of control
PS 6.0 95 - Don't have the muscle to whip the head around
POG 95 - Same - not enough muscle

So I'm asking for recommendations for replacements to my equipe, or perhaps if anyone has equipes lying around they would like to sell(I've already posted in "wanted")...

Thanks for the help,
Frank

wpeng4
07-03-2005, 09:50 AM
Frank, I might be able to help you on this one. I went through exactly the same thing two years ago. I used to play with equipe 95, and love it to death. I have not found the same "solid feel" on any other racket. I tested many modern sticks, but none came even close. Here are some solutions:
1. there is a store in Florida called eztennis.com, they had 7 (yes, 7) of 95, 27", 4 3/8 a couple of years ago, I persoanlly bought three from them. They may still have a couple left. Give them a call if the grip size is right for you. I ended up selling all three to someone in Canada due to an arm injury.
2. If they have run out, you will have to get something that is still in production. The best replacement to me is ps85. Mine is strung with Luxilon ALU at 50lb, and the feeling is very very close to equipe95. You may also want to test Slazenger x1, which could ptoentially be very close to equipe.
Good Luck!

Tony

puck1230
07-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll give the X1 a shot. I have tried the 6.0 85 and it's not forgiving enough for me.

netman
07-03-2005, 05:52 PM
You might also want to try the Slazenger Pro Braided Henman. The X-1 is a lot more flexible than the Equipe, whereas the Pro Braided Henman is dead on in stiffness. It is also a 95 head like the Equipe. Its about 0.8 oz lighter (11.6 oz) , which you may like if you found the PS 6.0 too heavy. Of course you can always add weight to it. You can still find them new and there are plenty of gently used ones for sale at screaming deals on the TW boards and ****. It is a very nice frame and Henman is still using it on the tour.

If I remember correctly the Equipe was Prince's attempt to clone the Wilson Pro Staff Classic 6.1, so you might also want to try that frame. You can find plenty of used ones for sale at great prices. With either the PB Henman or the Pro Staff Classic 6.1, you should be able to build up a large collection, since they are still available new in the TW "For Sale" ads or ****.

-k-

puck1230
07-06-2005, 12:27 PM
I've always wanted to try to pro braided, but when it first came out, it was expensive and hard to find. Now with ****, it'll be easier to give it a test drive. I realize that that equipe was supposed to be a 6.1 clone, right down to the colors, but for me, even though the statistical swingweight of the equipe is higher than that of the 6.0 and the 6.1, the equipe always felt easier to handle, and much more forgiving. I don't know if other people feel the same way. Thanks for the feedback.

netman
07-06-2005, 01:08 PM
I bet the Sweetspot Suspension is what gives the Equipe its different feel. I love the SS Suspension.

If you are interested I have a an almost new Equipe MP Longbody that I have cut down to 27.5 inches I would part with for my cost. As configured, it is the same weight as the Pro Braided and I find it to be an easier frame to swing than the std Equipe. In the past I cut down an Equipe LB to 27" then used lead to get it to approx. 11.5 oz and the same balance as the standard Equipe. Much. much easier to swing. You do give up some stabiity due to the lighter weight, but otherwise it plays very similiar to the standard. Might be an option for you as LongBody Equipes seem much easier to find these days. I chose 27.5 this time around to match the length of the TT Hornets I was playing at the time.

-k-

puck1230
07-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the offer on your custom equipe, but I will pass. I am sure at some point after the summer, people will be selling their old equipe's(praying) and I'll be there to pick 'em up. Thanks.

Princegod
07-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Here is a equipe for sale.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=55956