PDA

View Full Version : My search for a string

SStrikerR
07-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Recently I decided that I wanted to find the best possible string for my game, and there's a lot of people here so I can get input from a variety of players.
To start, I'm a high school player (#2 singles) and I suppose I'm in the 4.0 range. I play mostly on hard courts, but do play on har-tru during the summers. I like to play all over the court, so I'm looking for a string that has power from the baseline, but still have decent feel for when I come in to net.

My racquet: Wilson blx 6.1 95 18x20

Strings/tensions I've tried
Luxilon alu power rough @ 55lbs: I can't really comment on this sadly, because I didn't really pay attention to my strings when I first got it. I had played with it for 3 months when my high school season started, and it sucked.

Luxilon alu power rough @ 49lbs: I decided to go lower this time because I wasn't getting enough power at 55lbs, and after doing some guesswork and research, I figured 49 might work out. It played amazing for a few days, but now I'm overhitting with it a bit more. So I think 49lbs is the minimum I should be at.

Alien Black Diamond @ 50lbs: I just played with it tonight, and it was weird. When I had the ball it felt..muted, I guess. When I hit the ball it was softer, but the feeling never really reached my hands. It's hard to explain. Anyway, I was hitting deep enough with it, although it lacked power. I didn't have much time to practice volleys or serves with it, so I'll come back when I do.

That's it so far. So, what I'm looking for.
1) String that performs all over the court
2) Preferably under $20
3) Holds tension decently (Not as important, can still be poly)
4) Not a hybrid. I don't want the poly to cut the other string, forcing me to restring early.

Thanks for any advice/input!

masterxfob
07-26-2011, 12:51 PM
i coach a lot of hs kids and most of them are only using poly because it's the 'cool' thing to do. sure, some have enough game and need the durability to warrant using poly, but most don't. unless you're a string breaker, stick with the basic syn guts.

also, power is more a function of your technique than the string.

Backhanded Compliment
07-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Volkl Cyclone 18 is pretty great.. nice on the arm. If you want some thing better for volley's and a bit stiffer and less elastic I like Silverstring... I went on a string safari in May to find something I liked better than cyclone... I lost 10 consecutive sets. Since finding silverstring things got back to normal winning ways.

Silverstring isnt the best at any one thing but it is all around very good, no weaknesses and very durable. Cyclone is even more durable but dampened and much more elastic... great for the return game.

smirker
07-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Recently I decided that I wanted to find the best possible string for my game, and there's a lot of people here so I can get input from a variety of players.
To start, I'm a high school player (#2 singles) and I suppose I'm in the 4.0 range. I play mostly on hard courts, but do play on har-tru during the summers. I like to play all over the court, so I'm looking for a string that has power from the baseline, but still have decent feel for when I come in to net.

My racquet: Wilson blx 6.1 95 18x20

Strings/tensions I've tried
Luxilon alu power rough @ 55lbs: I can't really comment on this sadly, because I didn't really pay attention to my strings when I first got it. I had played with it for 3 months when my high school season started, and it sucked.

Luxilon alu power rough @ 49lbs: I decided to go lower this time because I wasn't getting enough power at 55lbs, and after doing some guesswork and research, I figured 49 might work out. It played amazing for a few days, but now I'm overhitting with it a bit more. So I think 49lbs is the minimum I should be at.

Alien Black Diamond @ 50lbs: I just played with it tonight, and it was weird. When I had the ball it felt..muted, I guess. When I hit the ball it was softer, but the feeling never really reached my hands. It's hard to explain. Anyway, I was hitting deep enough with it, although it lacked power. I didn't have much time to practice volleys or serves with it, so I'll come back when I do.

That's it so far. So, what I'm looking for.
1) String that performs all over the court
2) Preferably under $20
3) Holds tension decently (Not as important, can still be poly)
4) Not a hybrid. I don't want the poly to cut the other string, forcing me to restring early.

Thanks for any advice/input!

From my experience Polystar Energy plays very well from the baseline and at net and you can serve bombs with it. Only issue might be tension maintenance (same could be said of any poly though) but it is cheap so re-stringing often would not be an issue.

I know you said no hybrids but a gut main,synthetic cross would work very well here, still providing good depth control from the back but adding lots of feel at the net.You could go with a decent syn gut or my choice, head RIP control which has many characteristics of poly but is softer and will provide more touch than a poly.

Good luck in your search.

sepidoel
07-26-2011, 06:12 PM
From my experience Polystar Energy plays very well from the baseline and at net and you can serve bombs with it. Only issue might be tension maintenance (same could be said of any poly though) but it is cheap so re-stringing often would not be an issue.

I know you said no hybrids but a gut main,synthetic cross would work very well here, still providing good depth control from the back but adding lots of feel at the net.You could go with a decent syn gut or my choice, head RIP control which has many characteristics of poly but is softer and will provide more touch than a poly.

Good luck in your search.

I totally agree with smirker. I have PSE 17 paired with Prince Premier Softlex 17 as cross @60 lbs both, and it felt awesome at g-stroke (spin, flat, slice), net, serve and smash. When it went dry (dead) I put lotion on the surface and it went alive again, but with lower tension (which still played well).

smirker
07-27-2011, 02:44 AM
I totally agree with smirker. I have PSE 17 paired with Prince Premier Softlex 17 as cross @60 lbs both, and it felt awesome at g-stroke (spin, flat, slice), net, serve and smash. When it went dry (dead) I put lotion on the surface and it went alive again, but with lower tension (which still played well).

It's a great string. I will try it hybrid to see if this ammeliorates some of the tension loss. I also have some of the Turbo to try (the textured version of PE)

I string mine up low a la Davydenko at 48lbs for mains/crosses.

ARON
07-27-2011, 03:14 AM
You probably should hybrid with a softer cross string like synthetic gut. This would soften up your stringbed and lower the cost of the stringjob.

When the softer cross strings break, the stringjob is already fairly old and should be replaced anyways, about every 2 or 3 weeks (for me at least).

smirker
07-27-2011, 03:49 AM
You probably should hybrid with a softer cross string like synthetic gut. This would soften up your stringbed and lower the cost of the stringjob.

When the softer cross strings break, the stringjob is already fairly old and should be replaced anyways, about every 2 or 3 weeks (for me at least).

Usually yes, I would agree with a soft cross but as PE is one of the softest poly's out there it is less critical. I will hybrid it with my favourite syn gut, Pro Supex Spiral Flex.

fortun8son
07-27-2011, 04:00 AM
i coach a lot of hs kids and most of them are only using poly because it's the 'cool' thing to do. sure, some have enough game and need the durability to warrant using poly, but most don't. unless you're a string breaker, stick with the basic syn guts.

also, power is more a function of your technique than the string.

You play a small, heavy, headlight racquet with a tight stringbed.
Why, exactly, do you need fullbed poly?

ATP100
07-27-2011, 07:33 AM
Try tournament nylon, you might be surprised.

topspin18
07-27-2011, 07:47 AM
BHBR. everyone says this but it is really true a great string. power and spin

mixedmedia
10-20-2011, 01:36 PM
[post moved]

rofl_copter3
10-27-2011, 01:50 AM
Gamma zo tour rough its a nice spinny poly easy on the ARM and provides surprisingly good touch/feel

Ramon
10-27-2011, 03:48 AM
I used hybrids in the past and I'm using full poly now. They both have their merits. In general, hybrid will be easier on the arm, have better feel, and more power. Full poly will have more spin and control.

If you do try a hybrid I would suggest a monofilament syngut like Babolat N.Vy as the cross because it will not fray or notch. The poly will wear it down, but by the time it's worn you'll be ready for a new string job because your poly will be dead by then.

I had a similar experience with Lux Alu. It plays great at first but goes downhill in a hurry. Pros can use it because they only need it to last 2-3 hours. There are a lot of less expensive polys for about $8-10 that hold tension better and are playable for a much longer time. I currently use MSV Focus Hex and I'll probably try Signum Pro Plasma Hextreme next.

Torres
10-27-2011, 03:18 PM
I have the same stick. I'd suggest trying Scorpion 17 if you're leaning is towards control and more of an all court game, and BHBR 16 if you have preference for power and spin. Both very good strings, just in different ways.