PDA

View Full Version : Need help with the replacement grip!!!

safinator
07-25-2011, 05:31 AM
Hi guys and girls!

As I have already described in the topic of the ProStaff 6.0 85, I am having some issues with the grip slippage. To resolve them, I have left my stick at our local shop, so that they would change the leather grip for the Babolat's leather. But then I saw that they wrapped it badly, leaving like 3 mm of buttcap uncovered. I guess there is no need to say just how uncomfortable and annoying is that for a person who holds the stick very close to the end.

So my question is - can I unwrapp the replacement grip and wrapp it again properly? Or it will not stick again once sticked off?

Also, for the weight guru's. If I decide to change the leather grip for a synthetic one, how much weight should I add under the grip in order to keep the original balance of the stick?

Thanks a lot in advance to everyone!!

junk
07-25-2011, 05:53 AM
this will answer leather grip weight questions http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=62687

VGP
07-25-2011, 06:00 AM
safinator - did you raise your concerns to the personnel at your local shop?

goran_ace
07-25-2011, 06:20 AM
Yes you can re-wrap the grip. Take it back to the shop and ask them to re-wrap it for you. If you want to do it yourself make sure to use double-sided tape and tack/staple the end so you can pull some tension on it when wrapping. Sure you can take shortcuts and just re-wrap hoping there's enough adhesive left on the back of hte grip, but it really doesn't take much time/effort to follow best practices and avoid any risk of the grip moving.

seb23
07-25-2011, 06:27 AM
do you use an over grip? also just unwrap it and re wrap it, you shouldn't need additional double sided tape as it should still be tacky enough to do again, if you're not confident with it just take it to the shop and get them to do it but its pretty easy to do yourself and by the sound of it they aren't that good at doing it

safinator
07-25-2011, 06:45 AM
this will answer leather grip weight questions http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=62687

Thanks a lot! I'll look into that, maybe I'll change the leather for a syn..

movdqa
07-25-2011, 06:47 AM
I think that this is something that you should learn to do on your own as it's a relatively simple task and it provides you with the flexibility to fix it or change it when you want. That said, you did pay for a service and it would be nice if they did a good job.

If you want to ensure a good job, do it yourself.

Use a small brad or staple to attach the base of the grip to the buttcap, use double-sided tape and rubber cement if you want to be sure that it will not move. Some replacement grips come with tape already. I don't think that you need to retape with those.

A lot of people use overgrips today and this means that you don't have to be as careful with wrapping the grip - you need to be careful wrapping the overgrip but the overgrip is thinner making it easier to wrap.

safinator
07-25-2011, 06:47 AM
safinator - did you raise your concerns to the personnel at your local shop?

It's kinda useless, for they are not very competent. I did not have time to take the stick myself, for I was working. So I asked my mom to take it there, assuming that at least that they will be able to do...but nope... They are too arrogant to admit anything. They have already stringed my sticks with tensions waay higher than I asked, but they still did not admit that, but I DO feel when the tension is at least 2kg higher!! About the stick they said to my mom that they would recommend changing the pallet, but I am not sure of that with them...

safinator
07-25-2011, 06:49 AM
Yes you can re-wrap the grip. Take it back to the shop and ask them to re-wrap it for you. If you want to do it yourself make sure to use double-sided tape and tack/staple the end so you can pull some tension on it when wrapping. Sure you can take shortcuts and just re-wrap hoping there's enough adhesive left on the back of hte grip, but it really doesn't take much time/effort to follow best practices and avoid any risk of the grip moving.

Thanks for the extended advice. Sincerely I don't have a double sided tape. What I have just done, is stick with superglue the tip of the grip so that it would not move, and wrapped it with what was left of the glue... But thanks a lot for the insight, if it goes off again, I'll find some double sided tape!!

safinator
07-25-2011, 06:55 AM
I think that this is something that you should learn to do on your own as it's a relatively simple task and it provides you with the flexibility to fix it or change it when you want. That said, you did pay for a service and it would be nice if they did a good job.

If you want to ensure a good job, do it yourself.

Use a small brad or staple to attach the base of the grip to the buttcap, use double-sided tape and rubber cement if you want to be sure that it will not move. Some replacement grips come with tape already. I don't think that you need to retape with those.

A lot of people use overgrips today and this means that you don't have to be as careful with wrapping the grip - you need to be careful wrapping the overgrip but the overgrip is thinner making it easier to wrap.

You are right - it is not hard to do, and I might have done it, but I expected that for buying a 10+ bucks grip they could wrap it adequately - no...

These are golden words you said - If you want something done right - do it yourself!!

As I said, I used some superglue to stick the end. But I did not use the double sided tape, for I do not have one. BTW, they either did not use it...not right , ha?

I did not quite get your point with the overgrips staff, could you elaborate a little plz? Did you mean that a lot of ppl use overgrips instead of the grip, or you meant that they use it over the grip. I do use the TurnaGrip over the leather though...

I guess that they are losing their customers this way....but hey, that the only shop in the country, so i guess they don't really care for the quality, since the customers have no choice, and that sucks!

movdqa
07-25-2011, 07:20 AM
A lot of people use overgrips on top of grips so that wrapping the overgrip is more important than wrapping the grip. There can be a gap in the grip that the overgrip can cover up. I think that overgrips are usually wider than replacement grips so you have more coverage resulting in less slippage. Many of the overgrips are very tacky on the outside so overlaying them also results in less slippage.

I used to only use leather grips and didn't see the benefits of overgrips until I started using them. Regular leather grips collect dirt and get hard and slippery and they are a pain to replace compared to overgrips. Overgrips provide better tack too (at least the ones that I use) and provide a softer feel.

I've been going through the issue of getting my own stringing machine and stringing my own frames. I hate waiting to get something strung and stringing myself would mean that I wouldn't need multiple frames. But stringing to me is a big thing to take on. I imagine that there's a lot to learn until you've done it a few times.

safinator
07-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Now I understand what you mean. But the gap I was getting in the Wilson leather grip was just so huge, that it was "jumping" out of the overgrip!

Sincerely, I had no issues so far with the quality of goods provided by Tennis Warehouse and the quality of their service.

But now I did have an unpleasant experience. As some people mentioned, the grip slippage is not good. And if they send me 2 sticks, whose grips got off straight away, that is not nice. I've lost a lot of time regripping them many times, looking for the only leather replacement grip in town, which has also cost me. I have also lost my playing time, because I had to leave the court early a couple of times, since the grips on BOTH sticks went off....

So yeah, I do get your point of convenience of the overgrips, and I share it with you. But unfortunately they can not help me in my case. :(

They are really practical and cheap.

About the stringing machine. Yes, it is also very convenient to have one at home, but you need to fulfill the following requisites:
1. Have enough green for one.
2. Have enough space at home.
3. Live in the same place. (Me, for example, I travel a lot, and change homes every couple of years, so it would be a burdain for me to bring the stringing machine everytime)
4. Learn to string the sticks, which is not so difficult really. Moreover, if you only string your own stick, it is easy, for the procedure is always the same. It is harder in a shop, where you get to string all kinds of sticks.

movdqa
07-25-2011, 08:29 AM
I couldn't find the TW page for the PS 85 - maybe they remove it when they are out of stock. The page that I did find said that they use Fairway leather grips. I don't know if they still do this or if they use something comparable but I do recall that Fairway grips were rather thin and this can contribute to the separation problem. Perhaps using something wider (maybe the Babolat is wider) would work better. Another alternative might be to use two overgrips instead of a leather grip + overgrip.

I find that products have their strengths and weaknesses and you just have to live with them unless you can fix them yourself.

goran_ace
07-25-2011, 10:59 AM
...or you could lay down some double-sided tape, staple the starting end, and pull a little tension on the grip as you wrap if you want a grip that will not move. it's much easier to just do a good job the first time around and never have to worry about it ever again.

safinator
07-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Well, it wasn't me the one who did a bad job the first time - it was Wilson!! I was the one suffering the consequences of their job not done right.

Steve Huff
07-26-2011, 05:20 AM
With some grips, especially the cushioned grips, the cushioning will stick to the handle while the rest of the grip comes off. I'd take it back to them, ask them to redo it, just in cast you took it off and the grip came apart.