PDA

View Full Version : Genesis strings

Boricua
07-25-2011, 06:03 AM
Will TW sell Genesis strings some day? Seems like many people like them according to what Ive read in the Message Board.

Seems TW could benefit from sales and the customer could benefit as well.

fantom
07-25-2011, 06:16 AM
This has been asked a number of times. They have no plans to sell Genesis.

CDestroyer
07-25-2011, 07:01 AM
Genesis strings dont play as well as many of the other current polys and cost as much or more.

People will swear up and down that they are wonderful and this is because they have been given free products to advertise for them.

Power Player
07-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Genesis strings dont play as well as many of the other current polys and cost as much or more.

People will swear up and down that they are wonderful and this is because they have been given free products to advertise for them.

No it's because many actually like them.

But yeah, there are some shills on here, I am sure..just not everybody is one.

dgoran
07-25-2011, 07:13 AM

You are delusional, or not at the level that can appreciate a good string. I paid for all my Genesis Typhoon reels and some single packs (not counting initial demo) and I cannot find another string like it not called alu. After using typhoon for over a year now I even do not like alu anymore since I am in groove with the usable string life of typohoon (longer than ALU which is still sadly too short if you hit the ball)

God knows I am always testing and trying since I am scared to rely on single source of string so currently I am comparing SPPP Hex and Black 5 Edge but like I said if you are advanced enough that you can use initial power of good crisp poly Genesis has all the string options but just like Alu is not for everyone Genesis offering might not be for you.

johndagolfer
07-25-2011, 07:44 AM
agree with your assessment of Genesis. My first poly was Pro Hurricane and after reading the boards I paid and switched to first Spin X which I loved. After switching to typhoon due to more pop I absolutely have nothing bad to say about either of these Genesis brand strings, they hit incredible.

bad_call
07-25-2011, 07:45 AM
No it's because many actually like them.

But yeah, there are some shills on here, I am sure..just not everybody is one.

got to have the appropriate style to like them...not for this player. shills, shills? haha...yeah they're out there.

johndagolfer
07-25-2011, 08:11 AM
[QUOTE=bad_call;5857788]got to have the appropriate style to like them...QUOTE]

I think that is true of any string. Genesis, however, is a fairly popular string, at least on these boards which makes the OP's quesitons a valid one.

Power Player
07-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Yeah and Black Magic is very inexpensive as well. So the price argument is kind of silly.

bad_call
07-25-2011, 08:25 AM
the "playability" lifetime hasn't been acceptable for this player when compared to others (polys specifically) that cost nearly the same.

that said, mikeler's thus far favorable review of the new Thunder Blast multi is intriguing.

CDestroyer
07-25-2011, 08:29 AM
A reel of BHBR is 80 bucks, Typhoon is 120 both twisted pentagonal polys. The REAL reviews of the BHBR in the RSI magazine are better than the Typhoon.

Thank you for acknowledging the shenanigans PP. And you are right, some probably are legitimate.

mikeler
07-25-2011, 09:09 AM
the "playability" lifetime hasn't been acceptable for this player when compared to others (polys specifically) that cost nearly the same.

that said, mikeler's thus far favorable review of the new Thunder Blast multi is intriguing.

I will admit that I was sent a free set of Thunder Blast to playtest. That is all the free stuff I'll get though. After this, I gotta open my wallet.

Power Player
07-25-2011, 10:25 AM
A reel of BHBR is 80 bucks, Typhoon is 120 both twisted pentagonal polys. The REAL reviews of the BHBR in the RSI magazine are better than the Typhoon.

Thank you for acknowledging the shenanigans PP. And you are right, some probably are legitimate.

Ill be honest, I will get free strings now and then I think because I order so much Genesis. Of course I have always been transparent about this. It's about the equivalent of being a Wilson playtester though..I'm not getting reels or anything cool.

I like the Black Magic string for the price and feel. Playability is longer than the stiffer strings they offer.

BHBR is an awesome string as well. A total steal, I just do not like the feel as much really.

sruckauf
07-25-2011, 07:33 PM
People post the silliest things with nothing to back it up. Genesis strings are a legitimately good value. I can only assume the above poster to badmouth them hasn't tried them, or isn't at the level to get any benefit out of them. The poly market is saturated with mid-price point strings, and they really stand out.

As a comparison, initially the Pro Supex line of strings was very much hyped, but only a couple of their offerings have remained relevant. Over time the rest of them have proven not to hold up.

I've been playing with Spin X 16 for a year now and have gone through a few reels. I can't find anything that is as good in that price range. I've tried Typhoon, and can see it's appeal; it's just not for me - just a bit too jumpy.

I get free strings from the company I get a partial racquet sponsor from, and I still pay for Spin X. A reel is only $99 bucks and it plays great and holds tension very well. I'd be thrilled if TW would carry the line.

HiroProtagonist
07-25-2011, 09:01 PM
I gotta say that Genesis strings are the only thing that tempt me to stray from TW when shopping for tennis goods.

hcelizondo
07-26-2011, 09:00 AM
I have been playing with Black Magic for over a month now. I'm in love with the stuff and is my string of choice now

TenFanLA
07-26-2011, 09:52 AM
As OP states Genesis (Black Magic) has been getting good reviews. I would think/hope that these are accurate, actual opinions. Although I certainly wouldn't mind getting free samples, one cannot dismiss the influence that free can have on assessments. It can be in the form of over-praising its attributes, or dismissing or minimizing the weaknesses. Everyone's human. To me a sandwich bought from a golf cart driven by a very attractive young lady tastes better than the one bought from a golf cart driven by an overweight, middle aged woman. Just saying...

mikeler
07-26-2011, 10:12 AM
As OP states Genesis (Black Magic) has been getting good reviews. I would think/hope that these are accurate, actual opinions. Although I certainly wouldn't mind getting free samples, one cannot dismiss the influence that free can have on assessments. It can be in the form of over-praising its attributes, or dismissing or minimizing the weaknesses. Everyone's human. To me a sandwich bought from a golf cart driven by a very attractive young lady tastes better than the one bought from a golf cart driven by an overweight, middle aged woman. Just saying...

The one thing that my 3 Genesis playtests have shown me is that they make soft strings. Black Magic in a hybrid is the softest poly I've tried to date but it was not my favorite. Xplosion is a nice soft multi but I had control issues with it as a full job. Thunder Blast is great as a cross but I can't comment on it as a full bed since I have not tried that yet.

scotus
07-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Never got anything from Genesis, but I do like the Spin-X and Typhoon. Quality strings.

I am not aware of anyone whose sole purpose of being a member of this board is to advertise the Genesis products.

Too bad I can't say the same about the Solinco products.

Backhanded Compliment
07-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Black Magic does feel great but has too much power for my game... Ive never recieved anything from them. I do like BHSR and will try B5E in my Prestige Pro next... after that Im open to trying Spin-x but honestly BHSR works just fine and is cheap.

drakulie
07-26-2011, 06:34 PM

First part of your post is opinion, second part is doo-doo.

Interesting. I'd be rich considering all the products of different companies I have reviewed over the years.......still waiting for my first paycheck. (should be a big one).

Anyway, I'll go ahead and bookmark this thread, and be back in August when the RSI playtest review of the BM is final.

nadalex
07-26-2011, 06:39 PM
why should getiing something for free change ones opinion Its not as if you will keep getting it for free u get the strings once u review it and it breaks and then u have to buy its not to that persons benefit to say one string is great when its bad when they have to pay for it over and over

mikeler
07-27-2011, 04:46 AM
First part of your post is opinion, second part is doo-doo.

Interesting. I'd be rich considering all the products of different companies I have reviewed over the years.......still waiting for my first paycheck. (should be a big one).

Anyway, I'll go ahead and bookmark this thread, and be back in August when the RSI playtest review of the BM is final.

I'm guessing the RSI folks will rave about its power which was too much for me. Guess I should have tried it at a higher tension.

Torres
07-27-2011, 12:22 PM

Interesting....

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/201108/index.html

Is it me or are their string review articles getting shorter and shorter?

parasailing
07-27-2011, 12:33 PM
I traded for a set and use it as a cross with VS mains and so far after 5 hours, I like the power and feel of the string. Only question is how well tension maintenance and playability are for the next 15 hours.

Power Player
07-27-2011, 12:36 PM
As suspected, the BM is a killer string and a steal for the price.

drakulie
07-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Interesting....

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/201108/index.html

Is it me or are their string review articles getting shorter and shorter?

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware it was already out.

Anyway, Black Magic receives 5th highest rating ever of ALL strings ever playtested, including mono, multi, poly, and natural guts, etc.

In spin, it received 4th highest rating,
Resistance to movement- 9th.
Durability-10th.
control-19th

"scored well above average in playability, power, and tension retention"

4 top 20 scores, 3 being top ten.

But yeah, I could see how these idiots think certain people on this forum are being paid to "hype up" this string, and how others say it is overpriced. :roll: Fact is, it is a great string, that is "underpriced" when one considers it outperforms most other strings that cost more.

parasailing
07-27-2011, 09:16 PM
But yeah, I could see how these idiots think certain people on this forum are being paid to "hype up" this string, and how others say it is overpriced. :roll: Fact is, it is a great string, that is "underpriced" when one considers it outperforms most other strings that cost more.

I just noticed that they raised the reel price to $85 so apparently word is getting out that this is a good string and demand is there for this string.

FedFollow
07-28-2011, 02:59 AM
Ordering another BLX PO today and will give these a try. How do they play at lower tension say in the low 50's? How differently does the 16g and 17g play?

mikeler
07-28-2011, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware it was already out.

Anyway, Black Magic receives 5th highest rating ever of ALL strings ever playtested, including mono, multi, poly, and natural guts, etc.

In spin, it received 4th highest rating,
Resistance to movement- 9th.
Durability-10th.
control-19th

"scored well above average in playability, power, and tension retention"

4 top 20 scores, 3 being top ten.

Thanks for the summary. I'm surprised it rated that high in spin.

Rabbit
07-28-2011, 05:27 AM
I need to join the USRSA.

That said, based on Drakulie's glowing comments on this string, I bought a reel, not a set. :) I can say that it is a very comfortable poly, I also agree that spin was not as good as say with Luxilon Ace or some other polys, but that is only part of the equation. Black Magic played really soft and smooth, had much better power than TF Black Code or RPM Blast or even Lux Ace, and was/is an overall better string than either Black Code or RPM Blast.

Overall, it's a great value and I look forward to using it in the future once I use up some of the other string I have. I think it'd be great in a hybrid with NRG at a little higher tension. I gave 40' to a friend of mine to string and he loves it as well. If you're considering TF Black Code or RPM Blast, this string is a no-brainer better option.

Power Player
07-28-2011, 06:31 AM
I switched to BM months ago and have not looked back. The feel in a full job is unreal, and it is fantastic in a hybrid with synth gut as well.

I just hope the price doesn't go up..lol.